Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 - Turbo Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Got my winter wheels today

Finally, my winter wheels have been put on my 997 Turbo today, a few points of observation (OEM winter wheels with OEM rims):

1. tires are Nokian WR tires with N0 certification. Since they have been optimized for snow and braking on slippery surfaces, they have the V speed index only (up to 240 kph).
    Some Nokian WR tires are approved up to 270 kph.

2. they don't seem too noisy but ride comfort is slightly worse, especially with PASM sport setting activated.
    Also the steering feel is more "direct" and sensitive.

3. the OEM winter wheels look good, you don't really see the missing 1 cm width on the rear (295s instead of 305s). The offset seems to be different on the rear rims, maybe this is the reason, I haven't checked on it yet.

4. the Nokian WR N0 feels pretty good in curves but since the tires are brandnew, I didn't try them at the limit. They make however a pretty good impression to me, temperature outside was around 8*C today, so it wasn't perfect for winter tires but still...not bad, they seem to keep the oversteer tendency of the summer tires, so they seem pretty sporty to me.

More information to come over the next few weeks, especially snow performance is very interesting to me.
    I'll post some pictures this weekend.
    And yes, the Nokian WR N0 is a REAL winter tire, not just a M&S tire.

Re: Got my winter wheels today

They are great on the snow ( If they are the same Nokian I had on my car last winter)... but they do wear off quickly on dry, tempered surfaces.
    Hopefully you get through the winter with only one set

I drive so slowly with my winters...I just can hear them screaming and crying for me to stop :-)
    The rubber is so soft when you touch with a finger you wonder how long they will last...
    Why oh why do we have winters :-(

RC, pictures of your winter wheels? I wonder one can find after market wheels for the purpose?

Quote:
    W211 said:
    RC, pictures of your winter wheels? I wonder one can find after market wheels for the purpose?

Here we go:

the first picture shows how good the rear wheels are looking, apparently the rims have a different offset to "cover" for the smaller rear tires (295s instead of 305s).

This pic shows the rear tire from a different angle.

This picture shows that this is a REAL winter tire (the snow symbol, M&S isn't enough) and that it is Porsche approved (N0).

For those who don't know who NOKIAN is: it is a finnish tire manufacturer, owned by Nokia and Bridgestone and other investors. They are the market leader in Skandinavia and have a very good reputation regarding winter tires.
    Nokian was also the first company worldwide to offer a winter tire with REAL winter tire capabilities (not just M&S) with an approved top speed of 270 kph instead of the "common" 240 kph for high performance winter tires.

The N0 version of the Nokian WR winter tire for the 997 Turbo has been developed together with Porsche, this tire has a specific mixture of materials adapted to the AWD of the 997 Turbo and the high performance capabilities.
    Non N-certified Nokian WR tires are NOT the same thing, even in the same size. Caution!

Thanks for the pictures RC! I'm very familiar with NOKIAN tires, in fact, used the NRWs in the 90s and now the WRs for our other vehicles.

Glad you pointed out the difference between the regular WR and Porsche approved WR N0.

Hard to decide if I should get the package or just the tires!

Quote:
    W211 said:
    Hard to decide if I should get the package or just the tires!

If you can get rims with the same size and offset, I don't think it would be a problem. Just make sure that the rims aren't too "closed" in design because of the brake ventilation. I'm also not sure if there is a way to make the tire pressure control monitor work with aftermarket rims.

I was thinking getting winter tyres for the GT3. Although I was not sure about getting 295 but more 265... Does it make a big difference?

Quote:
    TEE1 said:
    I was thinking getting winter tyres for the GT3. Although I was not sure about getting 295 but more 265... Does it make a big difference?

You should definetely stick with Porsche recommended rim/tire sizes and N-certification.
    The rim manufacturer isn't that important for winter wheels, if the wheel sets from Porsche are too expensive, you can always go for aftermarket rims (some Porsche tuners in Germany offer complete sets with approved tires but aftermarket rims for much less money for example).
    Just make sure that the rims are approved for your GT3 and that the tires are also approved for YOUR car.
    Regarding tires sizes: I had 295s winter tires on my 997 Carrera S and my experience with them (Conti TS810 with N-certification) was very good, I was surprised how well such a wide tire behaved in snow.

How are you enjoying the wet traction RC?

I was actually thinking of going cheap and swapping the summer/winter tires using the same rims.

Very curious about your feedback as I'm on the fence, with weather around 5-10C where I am in the winter. Lots of rain though.

Since I'm not concerned with the the snow tires are those scratches on the bumper RC in pic #2? Just curious...

I use Nokian WRs for all my cars that go to Lake Tahoe's ice and mountainous snow . They go on mid -November and come off mid May . They are genuine snow tires that work well in warm Bay Area sporty driving also due to VR speed rating. I love doing donuts /slaloms with them like it's an autocross at the big Northstar ski resort parking lot late in the day when it's empty. Bystanders are amazed !

Quote:
    harryo2b said:
    Since I'm not concerned with the the snow tires are those scratches on the bumper RC in pic #2? Just curious...

Nope...dirty car. I'm not somebody who cleans the car each and every day. I even think that I always drive the dirtiest Porsche in my hometown, no kidding.

Quote:
    W211 said:

I was actually thinking of going cheap and swapping the summer/winter tires using the same rims.

Very curious about your feedback as I'm on the fence, with weather around 5-10C where I am in the winter. Lots of rain though.

We are borderline temperature-wise on switching to winter tires, but if you plan on any trips to Whistler in the turbo, then you will need winter tires

FYI I am not switching, gonna stick to the PS2s, at least for this winter.

Quote:
    Whoopsy said:
    Quote:
    W211 said:

We are borderline temperature-wise on switching to winter tires, but if you plan on any trips to Whistler in the turbo, then you will need winter tires

That raises a good question, what if your concern is not so much snow conditions, but cold weather and the occasional cold wet day. Days with snow actually sticking around for longer than a cold morning I think I will park the car.

Quote:
    thuggy said:
    Quote:
    Whoopsy said:
    Quote:
    W211 said:

That raises a good question, what if your concern is not so much snow conditions, but cold weather and the occasional cold wet day. Days with snow actually sticking around for longer than a cold morning I think I will park the car.

I'm selling my only other AWD car in the family so have been seriously considering. I may want to occasionally drive up to Whistler, not to ski but to see friends. I think for the mild Vancouver weather, the PS2s may actually work better as rain tires than most snows.

Question for you folks, would you feel safer driving a 750Li with 18 inch snow tires or the AWD 997TT with 19 inch winters?

And I have to figure out if it'll be ok just to swap the tires as RC pointed out the offset may be different. In theory it should be ok to mount 295/30/19 on stock rims, no? Are they really different wheels?

The Porsche 997TT winter set is apparently quite costly, hear this out, CDN$12k!! Same as PCCB!

Finally, have to choose between Continental T810S or Nokian WR what do you guys think?

I'd much rather drive an AWD drive with the engine over the rear wheels than a front engined, RWD car, assuming: same tires, same traction control.

In fact, I'd prefer a RWD with the engine over the rears to a RWD with the engine in front.

Good points Scotty, thanks.

Quote:
    W211 said:

The Porsche 997TT winter set is apparently quite costly, hear this out, CDN$12k!! Same as PCCB!

That's a big number. Did you price them south of the border?

Eric, it's no fun driving the Bimmer in the snow. I had a 745i for 3 years, it was a hand full in snow even with snow tires.

Quote:
    Terk said:
    Quote:
    W211 said:

That's a big number. Did you price them south of the border?

Initially they mentioned Cdn$8k and now Cdn$12k. Anyway, thinking of buying just the tires, if they fit on original summer rims.

I can either go Kal Tire Nokian WR N0 (Porsche specifications) at around Cdn$2k or US$1k tires only (Continential T810S N0).

Nick, when is your ML63 coming? Are you going to bother with snow tires? Thanks for the tip regarding the 7 series not being snow friendly even with winter tires, I didn't know that.

I have just mounted on my 996TT Brisgestone Blizzak LM25 Tyres. Does anyone of you guys have any experience with these on the snow and on ice?

I had the blizzaks on a 330ci. They were quite good and I had not wear problem at all with them. In fact, they probably made 30'000km and were still ok. (then sold the car). I never had to put chains on and I have been going up the ski resorts on snow covered roads with no issue whatsoever. So overall, traction in snow, dry, and durability was ok on that car at least...

Quote:
    Whoopsy said:
    Eric, it's no fun driving the Bimmer in the snow. I had a 745i for 3 years, it was a hand full in snow even with snow tires.

Remember the name of the snow tires?

RC, you mean to tell me that Porsche has another set of wheels with a different offset specifically for winter tires? I'm very surprised to hear that. Are those rear wheels any wider or even narrower than the stock rear wheel (11")?

And I also know for a fact that the OEM TPMS sensor works with many aftermarket wheels. Ask me how I know.

I don't plan to go with winter tires for my TT. I'll park it in the garage when the white stuff comes down and drive the Rover instead.

It was Pirelli, I think they were 210 or 240 in 18in.

63 is suppose to be here end of this month but it might get delayed to first week of next month. I am on the waiting game like Jason was.

I had ordered the car back in August but I still haven't told my wife yet. She is gonna get a nice big surprise one day when I go out in the LR3 and come back in a ML63.

I believe RC said the winter rims is a little bit narrower in the rear.

I also find it hard to believe there will be two almost identical wheels for summer and winter.

I'm finding out tomorrow from MCL.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    763247 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    435795 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    260741 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    257723 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    81007 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5323 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

872687 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    808163 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM