Crown

Board: AMG Mercedes Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: G63 this time round

Sorry , but I still don't get this car.  Unless you live in a place where your main roads are dirt roads , I would never buy this. It just does not make any sence. It looks good, but that s it.  Everything is ancient in that car ( expect engine ). Driving position , chassis , steering , etc....  I can t understand people who want to drive this in urban areas , there is no joy in it and it looks completly out of places 

--

964 Carrera 4 --  997.2 C2S , -20mm --  991 GT3 RS 

I have never understood this car. It looks unique and nothing else. It drives and handles on street roads like "crap". As an offroader this car is sensational. Audi Q7 offer much more for the half of price.

Here in Stuttgart you can see a ton of this G and G AMG driving the Theodor Heuss Street with full throttle.

--

AM

ALDO:

Here in Stuttgart you can see a ton of this G and G AMG driving the Theodor Heuss Street with full throttle.

In Gstaad, Switzerland, the G AMG is the poshmobile of choice too Smiley

--

2015 981 Cayman GT4 | White | Full Bucket Seats | Sport Chrono
    2014 991 Carrera 4S | Dark Blue Metallic | PDK | Sport Chrono | SPASM

Congrats on the G! My buddy has one and I love looking at it, but it certainly drives like a school bus compared to the likes of Cayenne a Turbo and X5M. But who cares, most of us here have much sportier cars for those type of driving. 

Amazing car and great addition to your AM Smiley

--

J.Seven

Gnil:

Sorry , but I still don't get this car.  Unless you live in a place where your main roads are dirt roads , I would never buy this. It just does not make any sence.

And the thing is, the G doesn't make any sense. But still it has a cool factor we can't deny. It's like Alfas, there's something about them petrolhead like but in reality most people would never buy them. 

Not sure that transposes to the UK - This car has the same cachet as a Hummer in to me. I'm seeing an increasing number in London but most have been blinged up in some way. Each to their own (after all, I have an XC90 & 1 series BMW!) different strokes for different folks I guess.

--

991 Carrera Black\Black, XC90 Black\Black, 120 Cab Black\Coral Red - 2 kids, 1 dog

Gnil:

Sorry , but I still don't get this car.  Unless you live in a place where your main roads are dirt roads , I would never buy this. It just does not make any sence. It looks good, but that s it.  Everything is ancient in that car ( expect engine ). Driving position , chassis , steering , etc....  I can t understand people who want to drive this in urban areas , there is no joy in it and it looks completly out of places 

Amazing car, especially for speed limited countries and urban areas. Very comfortable, amazing sound, feels like a tank, doesn't really drive like one (seriously) and it has that special quality feeling you barely get nowadays in cars.

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Carrera 4 GTS Cabriolet, Porsche Macan Turbo, Ford Mustang GT500 Shelby SVT (2014), Mini JCW (2015), Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT (2014)

bridggar:

Not sure that transposes to the UK - This car has the same cachet as a Hummer in to me. I'm seeing an increasing number in London but most have been blinged up in some way. Each to their own (after all, I have an XC90 & 1 series BMW!) different strokes for different folks I guess.

Hummer had much worse driving feel and chassis setup, steering was crap as well. The G63 plays in a different class!

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Carrera 4 GTS Cabriolet, Porsche Macan Turbo, Ford Mustang GT500 Shelby SVT (2014), Mini JCW (2015), Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT (2014)

RC:
    Gnil:

Amazing car, especially for speed limited countries and urban areas. Very comfortable, amazing sound, feels like a tank, doesn't really drive like one (seriously) and it has that special quality feeling you barely get nowadays in cars.

Strange, I just thought I read a review by Whoopsy who owns one ( and is thinking about selling it )  that was saying the complete opposite 

--

Compared to his other cars maybe? 

So I wonder why he got one in the first place? yes

Yes, I would prefer a Cayenne Turbo S over a G63 if I had to choose but I only need a SUV with kids and a G63 would be a classic and also a car I could keep forever. A Cayenne Turbo S would probably be outdated in five years tops.

I cannot look at the 955 anymore...I cannot believe I even owned two of them.

The G63 is no sports car or even close to one and yes, even in the SUV world, the G63 isn't probably the best choice if you are looking for a somehow "sporty" ride. However, the G63 isn't that bad and the latest version has lots of upgrades in the chassis and ESP sector. It feels like a SUV indeed but this is what I actually like about it. I hate my wife's Macan Turbo because it drives and feels more like a crossover or sedan than a real SUV. I need that "tank" feel in a SUV and the Macan lacks it.

--

The G63 is built like a rock, a solid chunk of steel, when I am inside I feel very very safe. I posted pictures of my car when someone crashed into me before, the G has minimum damage when the Audi is all crumpled up.

But the G also handles like a rock too laugh

It is a narrow and boxy car, so driving around town is supposed to be easier, too bad the steering doesn't match and feels sluggish. It is also just a tad too tall for undergrounds. I had to watch the height limit closely.

If I have the parking space, I would have kept the G when the Cayenne Turbo S comes in, but I don't and had to let it go. 

Oh I had pushed the Turbo S to a 2017 model instead of a May production 2016, cause I wanted the new PCM with  Car Play.

--

My friend just picked up a white Turbo S, and I can't believe how quick these cars are these days! And comparing to a G63 is like comparing a van to a hot hatch, seriously! In fact, the first time I drove a G63, the steering reminds me completely of the Ford Transit van!

when i took into considertion our less than average quality roads, that we dont have autobahns for speeding, that i see no point in changing my suv every 5 years, especially due to our import rules and high import tax, the only suv that makes sense to my requirements is in fact the G.

i have only put 10k kilometers on my x6m in 6 years and selling it, i would take a huge loss for a car that is basically still new.i decided against selling it and am just keeping it.

if i would have gone for the svr (which i originally intended) i would be facing the same situation again in 5 years to come...or less.

the G will cover my commuting needs perfectly. mainly short trips in the 5-15 km range. it is well suited to our bad roads and it performance covers my needs as well.

furthermore, it makes up for its short comings in other departments. great engine, built like a tank,

and yes...it does look and probably drives like a 1st gen pajero on steroids indecision

--
    Speed has never killed anyone, suddenly becoming stationary... That's what gets you.

You gonna love the G. I still do.

--

Whoopsy:

The G63 is built like a rock, a solid chunk of steel, when I am inside I feel very very safe. I posted pictures of my car when someone crashed into me before, the G has minimum damage when the Audi is all crumpled up.

I was about to mention that exact incident. Also on a side note I've been seeing a ton of G around San Diego lately.  

Enmanuel:
    Whoopsy:

I was about to mention that exact incident. Also on a side note I've been seeing a ton of G around San Diego lately.  

It's easy for the inexperienced to parallel park and not have to worry about bumping into the cars in front and behind them.

apias:
    Enmanuel:
    Whoopsy:

It's easy for the inexperienced to parallel park and not have to worry about bumping into the cars in front and behind them.

I take a lot of pride in my parallel parking abilities  Smiley

That's why you don't need a G63 in San Diego.

Or, maybe you do, to protect against the parallel parkers who have no pride and operate by feel -- i.e., when they feel their car hit the car in front or in back they know it's time to step on the brake.

apias:

Or, maybe you do, to protect against the parallel parkers who have no pride and operate by feel -- i.e., when they feel their car hit the car in front or in back they know it's time to step on the brake.

Don't know about San Diego, but that is apparently standard practice in Paris.  Smiley

--

fritz

I think it's a hallmark of bad drivers everywhere.

Love it, can't pinpoint why but I'd never mind having one of these in the garage.

--

2003 BMW M3 CSL (sold) / 2008 Porsche 911 GT3 RS / 2013 MINI John Cooper Works GP / 2014 BMW Alpina D3 biturbo Touring

fritz:
    apias:

Don't know about San Diego, but that is apparently standard practice in Paris.  Smiley

Yeah. What's that all about? I've seen cars parked in Paris that are literally touching the car in front/behind it. The bumpers on Parisienne cars take a beating. And while we're bashing Paris, what's the deal with the dog crap all over the sidewalks? Smiley

intouch1:

if i would have gone for the svr (which i originally intended) i would be facing the same situation again in 5 years to come...or less.

Exactly.... the SVR is nothing else like the X6M.

I 100% follow your reasoning. Great decision for an adorable, stylish and classy car Smiley

intouch1 : In your position and part of the world  the G makes total sense . Congratulations .  Where that car makes no sense is in North American  and European urban areas , where the down sides of it are far more then the ' cool' factor, or the nice sounding engine . 

--

Gnil:

intouch1 : In your position and part of the world  the G makes total sense . Congratulations .  Where that car makes no sense is in North American  and European urban areas , where the down sides of it are far more then the ' cool' factor, or the nice sounding engine . 

Yeah, a Smart is the smarter choice in Europe. Smiley Smiley

Luckily, the G class seems to have a comeback in Germany, see more G class on the road than ever. Unfortunately mostly Diesel or the non-AMG V8 models but still...

--

indecision

--
    Speed has never killed anyone, suddenly becoming stationary... That's what gets you.

fully foiled with clear foil, tinted rear windows, packed up and ready to go into container:

IMG_1570.jpgIMG_1571.jpg

--

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/16/24 3:13 PM
    watt
    754867 1797
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    431427 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    258839 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    255821 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    79827 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5262 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

868831 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    802757 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM