Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Back to Porsche after Long Absence, Goodbye e60 M5

Hi everyone, just bought a used 2005 Carrera S Silver/Silver with Design Sports wheels; last p-car was a 944s (i know, please no flaming) and first one was a 914 with bored-out to 2.1 weber carbs that i wrapped around a pole (don't lift off...lol, good ole off-throttle oversteer). Anyhow, i have recently had a 2004 e46 M3 and 2006 e60 M5 and with the M5 it was very fast but detached and found myself driving at reckless speeds to get any enjoyment (we're talking very high speeds) and finally decided enough is enough. I am letting my e60 m5 go even though it is faster, i find the Carrera S has a very nice torquey engine and though not as much a screamer as the V10 it is very nicely balanced. I am going to give the Carrera S a try for a few years as a daily driver. It is certainly a more complex and multi-layered experience than the M5, though the latter is superbly engineered, the M5 is more of an ultra-high speed machine, which i think in the end is ill-suited for the US. I have already put Pirelli 240's in 235/295 size on the S and am ready for Boston snow and slush.
    Only complaint is i think there is an exhaust leak, which is mostly evident when driving off in 1st gear (sounds like the car is farting...then clears to a beautiful clean melodious boxer sound, exhaust is stock S), although i have been told it's normal Carrera S sound, going for 20k service on Thursday.
    Enough rambling and will post pics soon; btw i am loving the improved mileage, was getting 11.5mpg in the m5 now in 17mpg range in the 997.

Re: Back to Porsche after Long Absence, Goodbye e60 M5

Welcome.

Quote:
    catdog said:
    Only complaint is i think there is an exhaust leak, which is mostly evident when driving off in 1st gear (sounds like the car is farting...then clears to a beautiful clean melodious boxer sound, exhaust is stock S), although i have been told it's normal Carrera S sound...

Lol.. you are correct, the 3.6L Carrera 2 does not exhibit the same noise. I agree it IS the normal S exhaust noise when starting up from a dead stop...especially noticeable when making a right turn on red after stop with windows lowered...personally I like it! Sounds like a baffle opening/closing rapidly, or --- truly bizarre but to me it sounds almost like the momentary buzz of giant wasp or insect flapping a wing.

I enjoyed reading your impressions on owning the M5/997 comparo. Cheers.

Thank you guys for the welcome, and Damian thank you for the reassuring confirmation...I recall a funny similar sound when i first test drove a new S a year ago but yeah i guess it does sound like an angry insect or something...

Welcome - and enjoy your P-car.

I let my M5 go fo the same reason, welcome to the froum.

It's ironic because I once considered getting a E60 M5 but passed in favor of the 997TT. Reading this thread makes me feel better about having made that choice.

I came very close to a E60 M5 too. Went for the 750Li + 997TT instead.

I was thinking of adding the M5 to my garage. If you had both, would that make the M5 more appealing to keep around? After all I'm sure you would drive each one with different driving expectations.

The M5 is a beautiful piece of engineering but I sold it after 6 months because of the electronic "layer" between you and the car. There have been multiple failures of the steering angle sensor which shuts down the electronic damping control and neuters the SMG transmission, which happened to mine. However, I was already disenchanted with the car. It is much better driven very hard but you just can't in the US except on the track. For day to day I found the 3 series much more fun and connected. After either driving or owning everything I'm pretty jaded, so take my words for what they are worth(less than two cents).

Quote:
    yemenmocha said:
    I was thinking of adding the M5 to my garage. If you had both, would that make the M5 more appealing to keep around? After all I'm sure you would drive each one with different driving expectations.

I had both at the same time and decided to let the M5 go because it wasn't that much fun to drive, nice car for a cruise or a high speed blast, but lacked the fun factor for me. So I sold it and bought an 06 M3 convertible and put about 11 grand in Dinan modifications and now I'm happy with that. That being said I would never get let the C4S go for anything but an upgrade to a Turbo....

Quote:
    jpcourt said:
    Quote:
    yemenmocha said:

I had both at the same time and decided to let the M5 go because it wasn't that much fun to drive, nice car for a cruise or a high speed blast, but lacked the fun factor for me. So I sold it and bought an 06 M3 convertible and put about 11 grand in Dinan modifications and now I'm happy with that. That being said I would never get let the C4S go for anything but an upgrade to a Turbo....

Are we all a little pre-occupied??? Having driven my brother's 645i I can only confirm that that car also has a rather sterile drive in comparison to the 997S...

So that's the reason we spend a lot of ou precious time on this forum i presume?

That's a good question, i have them side by side now for the next few weeks. The main reason i decided to let the M5 go is mainly because i felt that for just driving around at 60-70% my wife's 530xiT provided a more comfortable environment than the M5's interior looked pretty much the same. No doubt the M5 is very special and fast in both straight line and curves (given its 4000lbs weight), but i also missed shifting. I could not stand the relative sensory deprivation and am exstatic about the sounds and everything about the 997...

944's were very cool at one time
    and 914 always rock in my book
    Welcome back to Porsche
    I never can understand except for the big whos got more power argument..why people think BMW's can even compare to a PORSCHE at all...
    Hmm..cmon, they are like driving a sedan..
    Ok, this is my polite way of saying CONGRATS!!!!!
    The sound of a Porsche is etched in my brain, the sound of many Porsches is just pure Porsche Hotness at its best!!!

Quote:
    Vincenzina said:
    Welcome back to Porsche
    I never can understand except for the big whos got more power argument..why people think BMW's can even compare to a PORSCHE at all...
    The sound of a Porsche is etched in my brain, the sound of many Porsches is just pure Porsche Hotness at its best!!!

Ok you have the PSE on your 997, could you Pulleeeease answer my question on the forum about the difference in sound if you can, does the PSE give you burble on the overrun? I am thinking of having it installed, and thanks for the warm welcome

Quote:
    catdog said:
    Quote:
    Vincenzina said:
    Welcome back to Porsche

Ok you have the PSE on your 997, could you Pulleeeease answer my question on the forum about the difference in sound if you can, does the PSE give you burble on the overrun? I am thinking of having it installed, and thanks for the warm welcome

Catdog, I was commenting on the other parts in the paragraph of your post, you brought up alot of points in changing cars in your thread.
    My 997 has PSE no S..on.off switch..
    goodluck ..

Interesting thread. I am actually selling my C2S and have ordered an M5(awaits flaming) The M5 fits my needs. I dont really drive my C2S like it should and i feel like its goin to waste. I also have my first child on the way and would like to fit him in my car with passengers. Any comments from anyone that owns or used to own would be good.

Quote:
    robl997 said:
    Interesting thread. I am actually selling my C2S and have ordered an M5(awaits flaming) The M5 fits my needs. I dont really drive my C2S like it should and i feel like its goin to waste. I also have my first child on the way and would like to fit him in my car with passengers. Any comments from anyone that owns or used to own would be good.

It really is a great car for a daily driver (except for the gas mileage) it's comfortable, it's a good size and it really is a fast ride, but I would recommend ordering the new six speed because the SMG is defiantly a love it or hate transmission, I for one hated it. If I were you I would go take one for a good long ride before you order. I liked the car I just never loved it and got bored with it very quickly, well quicker than usual, I had it for about 5 months. If you have any specific questions fire away, I'll help if I can.

Thanks jp. Im not sure if the 6 speed is comeing to the uk. I heard it was just for the us market. I could be wrong.
    How bad is the fuel consumption compared to the 997. I average 16.8 mls in my 997.

wow--i like this topic
    I have a e46 m3 cab and want a e60 m5 for the backseat (2 kids) but I still have the 911 for the weekend fling and the sportscar feel.
    How was going from a m3 to m5 --m3 nice but its no 911 so i already feel a step removed from "sportscar"

Mike

Quote:
    robl997 said:
    Thanks jp. Im not sure if the 6 speed is comeing to the uk. I heard it was just for the us market. I could be wrong.
    How bad is the fuel consumption compared to the 997. I average 16.8 mls in my 997.

All I can say is you will long for those days with such fantastic gas mileage as 16.8mpg. But seriously around town you will see between 11-12 mpg if you are not too hard on the right pedal, on a long run you can get 16-17mpg. I'm sure you could do better if you really tried, but it is not difficult to get single digit gas mileage either.

Quote:
    jpcourt said:
    All I can say is you will long for those days with such fantastic gas mileage as 16.8mpg. But seriously around town you will see between 11-12 mpg if you are not too hard on the right pedal, on a long run you can get 16-17mpg. I'm sure you could do better if you really tried, but it is not difficult to get single digit gas mileage either.

The traffic lights must be farther apart in Colorado. ;-) I get ~17 mpg with a mix of stop/go. My commute of 15 miles to the office which is 75% freeway driving and 25% stop/go yields me over 20mpg.

Welcome.

I had a short E55 AMG encounter and although this car went directly to AMG in Affalterbach for some special mods (limited slip differential, 300 kph speed limit, modified gearbox control unit incl. modified ESP setup and other things), it didn't make me happy. So I switched back to Porsche and I've sworn I'll never do experiments again...unless I turn 60.

Seriously, I'm 41 now, too young for a limousine and my family is much happier in a roomy SUV.
    When I turn 60, I may get myself a nice S 65 AMG with 1000 HP (very likely by the year 2025 ) and be a happy man but right now...Porsche it is.

The traffic lights must be farther apart in Colorado. ;-) I get ~17 mpg with a mix of stop/go. My commute of 15 miles to the office which is 75% freeway driving and 25% stop/go yields me over 20mpg.

Commuting back and forth to work with a mix of stop-and-go highway in traffic i got an average of 11.4 mpg and when i drove more spiritedly it when to 10.4 mpg. Now i then said let me put it in p400 and use D2 and D1 which means it short shifts at like 2500 rpm, the result in addition to wanting to kill somebody was 12.8 mpg but really not liveable. So it is a massive gas guzzler not to mention the expensive castrol 10w-60 that is only available from the dealer at a tune of $16.95 per quart and it ate 1 quart every 800 miles consistently.
    Finally the SMG, love it or hate it, i initially loved it until it became less smooth and started kicking into 1st from a standstill if i did not have the foot on the brake after coming to a stop, something akin to releasing the clutch suddenly, clearly a glitch that the dealer could not fix and did not go away despite the software update.
    Mind you, i took it yesterday for a spin and it is exhilirating in S6 P500S DSC in MDM or off, the V10 screaming like a banshee and the transmission literally blindingly fast with F1 sounds, lovely, until you realize the car is still a 4000lb sedan so i were in Europe or somewhere where there are no speed limits and had a private oil well and refinery, then it would be fine. As it stands the car does not make more sense than a 550i or for that matter a 530i in the US.
    I don't know i guess it was a phase and i outgrew it, the SMG finally pissed me off so did the oil and gas unreasonable consumption and which is ridiculous, i mean it's not a V12 ferrari or lambo to overlook something like that.
    In the end, i will miss it but a single trip in the 997S on a few twisties and that unruly backend and i realize that it is probably best to compartmentalize, get a sedan that is comfortable for everyday use and get a dedicated real sports car.
    I am sure that the M5 is faster that the 997S, in fact i think after the initial launch where the 997S may be a smidge ahead, the M5 reels it in no time, and just like in the case of my previous M3, both M5 and M3 are probably faster around a track than the 997S when driven by mediocre drivers, both M's are ridiculously easy and safe to go fast in.
    Somehow BMW lost the important fact that drivers need feedback and emotional communication with the car, and sad to say this is where the new M-BMW's fail and Porsche rules.
    I got frustrated with the M5 and thus the switch, maybe i am fickle and i will only find out in a few months if i get bored with the elfer but for now this is how i feel. My goal now is to master (if that is possible) the Carrera's handling strengths and quirks and have fun listening to that flat-6 reminding me of LeMans in the 70'-80's.
    I think it is the same story when comparing the Z4M and Boxster S. BMW need more M-motional vehicles, like the e30 M3, not overweight fat barges with ridiculous consumption, and half-baked transmissions. The new 6-speed M5 is likely to also be a disappointment as you cannot completely disable traction control...
    Hope this helps somebody out there and btw for the guy who has a kid on the way, my 6-year old twins seem to enjoy being in the back seats of the Porsche more than they do being in the back seats of the M5. Go figure...

Quote:
    Puffy911 said:
    Quote:
    jpcourt said:

You must drive like an old lady LOL

Quote:
    jpcourt said:

Ouch! Don't let me wife see that. Actually I am still in the break-in period. Although I don't abide by all that is written in the owners manual I am not pushing it too hard too often. Maybe that accounts for the gas mileage.

Quote:
    Puffy911 said:
    Quote:
    jpcourt said:

Ouch! Don't let me wife see that. Actually I am still in the break-in period. Although I don't abide by all that is written in the owners manual I am not pushing it too hard too often. Maybe that accounts for the gas mileage.

Ohhh but post break-in is soooo much fun, just enjoy getting there.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    765233 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    437168 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    261372 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    258176 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    82744 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5331 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

877450 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    809674 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM