Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 991 - Turbo Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: OFFICIAL: New 991.2 Turbo and Turbo S

Made for the ME

Funny, they reduced power from planned 620 to 607...so I guess the GT2 RS gets 650 hp and not 700? angry

Or maybe it was a certification thing, who knows?!

Nice car (not a fan of the color though but I like the black round exhaust pipes) but 260k EUR? No thanks. A 720S, a Huracan Performante or a 488 GTB are the better deals, sorry. Even if you can get the car in other colors than that Yellow Gold.

From a collector's point of view maybe an interesting product but I'm not sure.

Carbon roof...not magnesium roof...told you guys. 

Oh...I wouldn't be surprised if the 607 hp will be offered as a Powerkit later on...along the way.  angry After the limited 500 cars are sold of course. 

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Carrera 4 GTS Cabriolet (2015), Porsche Cayenne S Diesel (2017), Audi R8 V10 Plus (2016), Mini JCW (2015)

MKSGR:

Personally, I don't like the color and the design Smiley

Also, if I could, I would recommend Porsche NOT to do any "special editions" with power upgrades. Otherwise they might end up where Lambo is: A new model every 6 months and finally loss of customers due to a felt a lack of stability in their model strategy Smiley I think this special edition is a bad idea. And ugly Smiley

You may be right, but this has been their strategy in modern times; fo revery generation they will com out with a demonstrator for what is possible with the exclusive department, haven't they? And by default, these have almost always been of questionable taste... I'm not sure, maybe if they didn't bring these cars out as special models, but just as demonstrator cases without actually releasing and pricing it, then it wouldn't sound so bad.

--

Porsche, separates Le Mans from Le Boys

MKSGR:

Personally, I don't like the color and the design Smiley

Also, if I could, I would recommend Porsche NOT to do any "special editions" with power upgrades. Otherwise they might end up where Lambo is: A new model every 6 months and finally loss of customers due to a felt a lack of stability in their model strategy Smiley I think this special edition is a bad idea. And ugly Smiley

Markus, with all due respect but Lamborghini sales numbers tell a different story. Smiley

Also, a new model every 6 months? With power upgrades? Where? Smiley

I actually recommend to Porsche to do more power upgrades because without these upgrades, all these special edition models are worthless to customers like me. Smiley Also, I highly recommend stopping milking the 911 cow and offer something more exotic...like a 960. Smiley 

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Carrera 4 GTS Cabriolet (2015), Porsche Cayenne S Diesel (2017), Audi R8 V10 Plus (2016), Mini JCW (2015)

Thread closed.

Please continue the discussion here, thank you:

http://www.rennteam.com/forum/thread/280742096/OFFICIAL_New_9912_Turbo_S_Exclusive_Series_2017/page1.html

--

RC:

Markus, with all due respect but Lamborghini sales numbers tell a different story. Smiley

Also, a new model every 6 months? With power upgrades? Where? Smiley

I actually recommend to Porsche to do more power upgrades because without these upgrades, all these special edition models are worthless to customers like me. Smiley Also, I highly recommend stopping milking the 911 cow and offer something more exotic...like a 960. Smiley 

You know what would be a good idea? A mid engined model that would slot in between the 918 and the 911 range! Smiley

--

I took delivery of this on Friday, driving impressions will follow.

--

997 GT2 2014 3.9 Mezger, 800PS @ 1.2 bar

993 Turbo, 2006 built 3.8, 577PS/797NM, 1440kg DIN

Congrats, please let us know how it is compared with the GT2

--

2016 Cayman GT4 - 1992 964 Carrera 2 - 2016 Macan S Diesel - 2013 Mini Cooper S

Enjoy the traction! indecision

--

Tesla Model S P100D & Model X P90D & 2016 BMW i8 & 2014 991 TTS Cab - Sept 991.2 GT3 ordered. 2017 Porsche Mission E on order

Oh wow! Congrats mate & enjoy!

--

Oh nice, congrats. lets see how do you like PDK tho

EnglishManInNY:

Enjoy the traction! indecision

Smiley Smiley

--

http://www.autobild.de/artikel/nissan-gt-r-track-edition-audi-r8-v10-plus-porsche-911-turbo-s-test-11740397.html

Nice video and track test - the turbo s always delivers Smiley

Would be interesting to see what happens when the car uses the Corsa tires that can be ordered officially now...

MKSGR:

http://www.autobild.de/artikel/nissan-gt-r-track-edition-audi-r8-v10-plus-porsche-911-turbo-s-test-11740397.html

Would be interesting to see what happens when the car uses the Corsa tires that can be ordered officially now...

I saw this test but like always...a bit different than reality. Smiley Apparently Audi doesn't care about the press and it shows... Smiley

--

RC:
    MKSGR:

I saw this test but like always...a bit different than reality. Smiley Apparently Audi doesn't care about the press and it shows... Smiley

Presumably Auto Bild didn't know which buttons to push on the R8? Smiley

--

1992 Mercedes-Benz W124 500E / 2003 BMW M3 CSL (sold) / 2008 Porsche 911 GT3 RS / 2014 BMW-Alpina D3 biturbo Touring / 2014 BMW-Alpina B3 biturbo Touring Allrad

Porker:
    RC:
    MKSGR:

Smiley Honestly, I think the problem is that the setup of the R8 is kind of tricky, Audi just did not get it right. RC also confirms this with his reports on how sensitive the car behaves and how to adjust ESP etc. to get it into an acceptable performance mode. 

Porker:
    RC:
    MKSGR:

Maybe Smiley but I rather assume that Audi doesn't care about the R8 when it comes to the media. Every A3, A4 and A6 gets more press support from their media department. Smiley

--

MKSGR:
    Porker:
    RC:
    MKSGR:

Smiley Honestly, I think the problem is that the setup of the R8 is kind of tricky, Audi just did not get it right. RC also confirms this with his reports on how sensitive the car behaves and how to adjust ESP etc. to get it into an acceptable performance mode. 

I do not know. Yes, the setup requires a little bit of experimenting (due to the lack of a proper manual on Audi's side, which is not understandable on such a car) but usually, when car magazines get test cars, they also get some sort of "instruction" how to use that particular car (especially when we are talking super sportscars) on the track, on the road and so on to achieve best times. Also, it is no secret that many press cars have "healthy" engines Smiley and have a very good alignment setup, often at the more extreme limit of what is usual). With the R8, it seems Audi gives car journalists the key and they're done. Smiley The car Sportauto had for testing for their Supertest even had a miraculous power loss. 

Ask people on tracks where new R8 are driving around how fast these puppies are and you'd be surprised. We are not talking straight line only and many R8 are driving on road tires or those crappy Cup 2 with Audi rating (optimized for wet pavement, not track).

--

RC:
    MKSGR:
    Porker:
    RC:
    MKSGR:

I do not know. Yes, the setup requires a little bit of experimenting (due to the lack of a proper manual on Audi's side, which is not understandable on such a car) but usually, when car magazines get test cars, they also get some sort of "instruction" how to use that particular car (especially when we are talking super sportscars) on the track, on the road and so on to achieve best times. Also, it is no secret that many press cars have "healthy" engines Smiley and have a very good alignment setup, often at the more extreme limit of what is usual). With the R8, it seems Audi gives car journalists the key and they're done. Smiley The car Sportauto had for testing for their Supertest even had a miraculous power loss. 

Ask people on tracks where new R8 are driving around how fast these puppies are and you'd be surprised. We are not talking straight line only and many R8 are driving on road tires or those crappy Cup 2 with Audi rating (optimized for wet pavement, not track).

If you consider that you are not the "normal" driver and still you had to experiment so much to find the ups and downs of the setup it seems Audi should find an easier to use concept in the future. Also, a car that is so susceptible to adjustments of ESP, traction control etc. is not perfectly tuned in yet, if you ask me Smiley

MKSGR:
    If you consider that you are not the "normal" driver and still you had to experiment so much to find the ups and downs of the setup it seems Audi should find an easier to use concept in the future. Also, a car that is so susceptible to adjustments of ESP, traction control etc. is not perfectly tuned in yet, if you ask me Smiley

I think Audi overdid this and complicated things in a very unnecessary way. Chris Harris is really a car nut but felt annoyed by these setup possibilities. I think a bit different since I love my gadgets but I agree that Audi messed up here, so many setup possibilities without proper "instruction" how to use them is basically...useless. 

I was afraid to play around with the Performance setups on public roads because of those reviews which claimed the R8 would be difficult to drive with Performance mode and ESP turned off. After I got a bit track (or better said: airport field Smiley) time in the car with Performance mode and ESP off, I realized that all the car needs is a clean driving line and no sudden movements. If you drive it like a jerk, it spirals out of control, true. The 991.2 Turbo S is much more forgiving in this domain and I have to admit that I prefer the more harmless setup in a road car for occasions where you forget to turn ESP back on, like it happened to me in Italy.

Right now, I am driving in Performance mode DRY all the time and the car is like a race car, completely different beast. ESP is turned on though. Stupid setup: If I switch to Performance mode WET (it rained and I switched it...), the ESP gets turned off again. Who the heck was that idiot who did this programming? Smiley 

Funny: When I told the manager of my dealership, who has participated in many R8 driving events, incl. some R8 meets with engineers from Audi Sport, he is also often on the track on weekends in a R8, that you can actually drive the Performance modes with ESP turned on, he was baffled. He didn't know that either.

--

RC:
    MKSGR:

I think Audi overdid this and complicated things in a very unnecessary way. Chris Harris is really a car nut but felt annoyed by these setup possibilities. I think a bit different since I love my gadgets but I agree that Audi messed up here, so many setup possibilities without proper "instruction" how to use them is basically...useless. 

I was afraid to play around with the Performance setups on public roads because of those reviews which claimed the R8 would be difficult to drive with Performance mode and ESP turned off. After I got a bit track (or better said: airport field Smiley) time in the car with Performance mode and ESP off, I realized that all the car needs is a clean driving line and no sudden movements. If you drive it like a jerk, it spirals out of control, true. The 991.2 Turbo S is much more forgiving in this domain and I have to admit that I prefer the more harmless setup in a road car for occasions where you forget to turn ESP back on, like it happened to me in Italy.

Right now, I am driving in Performance mode DRY all the time and the car is like a race car, completely different beast. ESP is turned on though. Stupid setup: If I switch to Performance mode WET (it rained and I switched it...), the ESP gets turned off again. Who the heck was that idiot who did this programming? Smiley 

Funny: When I told the manager of my dealership, who has participated in many R8 driving events, incl. some R8 meets with engineers from Audi Sport, he is also often on the track on weekends in a R8, that you can actually drive the Performance modes with ESP turned on, he was baffled. He didn't know that either.

i like cars that have a WET mode, it makes a lot of sense for street driving. miss it on the RS. i never feel comfy when it rains....

The funny part about the WET mode on the R8: In Performance mode WET with ESC turned on, you get the best results (traction, AWD in maximum traction/stability mode, etc.). Usually however, people would switch to comfort mode when driving on wet roads and while the ESC is on in Comfort mode, the AWD is not set up for maximum traction. Weird. Smiley Clever, Audi...really clever. Smiley

Yes, High Performance cars should have a specific "Wet" mode in their driving programs, this is something really useful but what does it help when you have to manually switch on ESC (Audi) and there is no documentation about it (Audi)? Smiley Smiley

--

RC:

The funny part about the WET mode on the R8: In Performance mode WET with ESC turned on, you get the best results (traction, AWD in maximum traction/stability mode, etc.). Usually however, people would switch to comfort mode when driving on wet roads and while the ESC is on in Comfort mode, the AWD is not set up for maximum traction. Weird. Smiley Clever, Audi...really clever. Smiley

Yes, High Performance cars should have a specific "Wet" mode in their driving programs, this is something really useful but what does it help when you have to manually switch on ESC (Audi) and there is no documentation about it (Audi)? Smiley Smiley

a real mistake by the programmers it seems. actually, i was pretty happy with the ferrari wet mode. max ESC, low engine response....cool and safe.

I guess all Audi engineers are working on the Diesel mess...  angry

--

Think it in German terms.

Oh, its raining, let turn on WET mode and turn on ESP too.

Straight forward if you ask me.

--

Why do you need a wet mode? TC is TC control. A good system should simply adapt to conditions. Snow might be another story, but wet shouldn't be an issue.

noone1:

Why do you need a wet mode? TC is TC control. A good system should simply adapt to conditions. Snow might be another story, but wet shouldn't be an issue.

Because in the wet you may want a bigger ESP cushion with a lower threshold than on dry, the earlier the ESP activates at the first signs of slippage the more chances of not not loosing control if it comes to that, and in the dry you may not want it to be very intrusive since there is less risk than on the wet, and in the wet you may be willing to exchange more intrusiveness for a bit bigger safety net. 

--

⇒ Carlos - Porsche 991 Carrera GTS

Carlos from Spain:
    noone1:

Because in the wet you may want a bigger ESP cushion with a lower threshold than on dry, the earlier the ESP activates at the first signs of slippage the more chances of not not loosing control if it comes to that, and in the dry you may not want it to be very intrusive since there is less risk than on the wet, and in the wet you may be willing to exchange more intrusiveness for a bit bigger safety net. 

exactly. and you want a tuned-down engine response as well.

Whoopsy:

Think it in German terms.

Oh, its raining, let turn on WET mode and turn on ESP too.

Straight forward if you ask me.

It would be more logical to turn WET and ESP on at the same time and then, if you like, you can turn off ESP.

The switching on of ESP (ESC) isn't the real issue here: If I am driving in DRY mode with ESP turned on, why would I switch to WET mode and want ESP turned off? The ESP should stay on when I switch.

I agree, little quirks, nothing really important (for me) but just imagine you are driving with ESP turned off in rain and you forgot it is turned off (because you switched from DRY with ESP on to WET and the ESP turned off by itself)? Not pretty.

--

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    689015 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    408924 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255625 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    234885 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65461 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4640 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

857753 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    773722 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM