Crown

Board: McLaren Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: McLaren on a winning streak

I get the Porsche bashing. But while this is happening, Porsche is laughing on its way to the bank. Both Ferrari and McLaren would change position with Porsche in a heart beat. So let the bashing on. Porsche is reveling in it.

Noone, if you were offered an allocation for a .2GT3 would you take it? How about you Christian?

--

"A man wrapped up in himself makes for a very small bundle."

Nope, wouldn't take it. Don't want one, don't need one. I could probably get allocation anyway. My local dealer doesn't seem to have issues getting these cars and doesn't mark them up or anything.

nberry:

I get the Porsche bashing. But while this is happening, Porsche is laughing on its way to the bank. Both Ferrari and McLaren would change position with Porsche in a heart beat. So let the bashing on. Porsche is reveling in it.

Noone, if you were offered an allocation for a .2GT3 would you take it? How about you Christian?

You can take my GT3RS but leave me my 650S spider!

--

AM

Futch just crashed... hope he is allright and the car will be able to continue!

--

Porsche, separates Le Mans from Le Boys

noone1:

Nope, wouldn't take it. Don't want one, don't need one. I could probably get allocation anyway. My local dealer doesn't seem to have issues getting these cars and doesn't mark them up or anything.

You live in LA and can get a GT3 allocation at MSRP? Sorry, I spend time on RL and most around the country are complaining about the inability to get allocations and those that are available are anywhere between $20-50,000 over MSRP. The LA area is worse for availability. Since you do not own a Porsche and to my knowledge have not purchased one recently, I am curious how you can claim you can get one.

FWIW, the 720S is the first McLaren that looks good to me and compared to the competition it is priced right. Yet, I still have issues with massive depreciation and lack of dealer proximity for service.

--

I don't live in LA. I just put that since I enjoy a certain level of anonymity.

The reality for me is, the 991 isn't the highest performance and the interior is dated. If I wanted a car that wasn't the best, wasn't the worst, had an aging interior, and was a manual 911, there are literally thousands to choose from online. I don't see the point in a 991 .2 GT3. I'm not into face lifts.

MKSGR:
    SciFrog:

Just stunning. Only 100lbs extra and no loss of rigidity. Porsche is 20 years behind with its GT car offerings.

This looks like a car for girls. Much too feminin.

+1, obviously, you do have a bush Smiley Smiley..

--

throt

"I Have Done It!".

991 GT3 pick up in October 2014.

Rennteam Hairy Chest Advisor.

noone1:

The reality for me is, the 991 isn't the highest performance and the interior is dated. If I wanted a car that wasn't the best, wasn't the worst, had an aging interior, and was a manual 911, there are literally thousands to choose from online. I don't see the point in a 991 .2 GT3. I'm not into face lifts.

From your posts here I doubt you would be extracting 50% of the performance of a .2 GT3, so basically it's down to the interior or performance bragging rights Smiley

--

⇒ Carlos - Porsche 991 Carrera GTS

Interior, exterior is all that matters to me so long as it feels quick in a straight line. I can't do 7 minutes on the NR, so who gives a crap, right?

noone1:

I don't care where you live in the US.,  GT3 allocations aren't available unless you're willing to pay substantially above MSRP.

Do you own a sport car? Sport cars are about driving dynamics and the fun experience. Based on your comments, you have no clue what a good sport car is. FWIW, most experts to this day state the 911 is the standard for sport cars.

--

Why do I care what experts say? Ask an expert if they'd rather have a McLaren F1, or an Enzo, or CGT or a Ford GT or an F40 or a million other vastly more desirable cars. 911 is a great sports car, but so what? Never said it wasn't. Just because journalists cum while they write their GT3 reviews doesn't mean it's the most desirable car in the world at any given time.

The 911 is a great car in the price range. I for one give no fucks about it though. I own at most one car at any given time and during those occasional times I drive, I'd rather have a million other cars. I may not have a McLaren F1 or Enzo budget, but my budget is far beyond that of a GT3, thus I don't really care if it's the best car in it's segment. 

noone1:

Your above arguments sound more like you are not interested in buying a high-performance these days at all Smiley

Noone1 - what cars do you own?

--

Tesla Model S P100D & Model X P90D & 2016 BMW i8 & 2014 991 TTS Cab - Sept 991.2 GT3 ordered. 2017 Porsche Mission E on order

MKSGR:
    noone1:

Your above arguments sound more like you are not interested in buying a high-performance these days at all Smiley

I'm really not. The performance is high enough. It's getting pointless in normal usage. If I wanted to be faster, I'd learn to drive faster rather than just buy faster cars. I'm sure plenty of people out there can drive faster in a 12C than I could in a 720S, thus the appeal definitely isn't the performance.

If I could get the latest and greatest exotic designs and technology with less power and for less dollars, I would have no problem with that. Unfortunately there doesn't seem to be a market for that yet, thus I'll get high-performance whether I want to pay for it or not.

EnglishManInNY:

Noone1 - what cars do you own?

Just a 12C at the moment, though I'll be parting with it once I get something fixed. Hopefully it will be gone within a month.

After that, who knows. No designs are really knocking it out of the park for me. I still think the original Aventador is the best looking car you can buy today without getting into obscene prices. I'd also love to see an EV exotic, but that seems a ways off.

I'll probably be out of the car game for a while unless I find a deal to good to be true.

Let me know when you want to get rid of the 12C.  Thanks. Don't even care what color it is. You have good taste. 

Carlos from Spain:
    noone1:

From your posts here I doubt you would be extracting 50% of the performance of a .2 GT3, so basically it's down to the interior or performance bragging rights Smiley

I see. Do as you say and not as you do. No point in trying to antagonize anyone. Lol. Good thing I ignore your rambling posts.   (Actually I don't but I was feeling extra childish.) 

Leawood911:
    Carlos from Spain:
    noone1:

I see. Do as you say and not as you do. No point in trying to antagonize anyone. Lol. Good thing I ignore your rambling posts.   (Actually I don't but I was feeling extra childish.) 

bitter much?Smiley well grow up and get over it... you loved it when we had politics so you could flame, disrespect and ramble freely but that is over, thanks to members like you no politics for anyone now. To use a car related phrase, its this way now or the highway.

--

I'm not bitter at all. Just making sport of your 'do as I say' hypocrisy (as you attack my politics while banning political discussion). If you think people like Apias were the solution and me the problem that is okay. It is illuminating. Your thin skinned approach to politics is your problem not mine and guess what...  you get to deal with the resulting social downfall. So I'm not bothered. My opinions regarding politics are far from radical unless you love taxes and corruption.  Dangerous beliefs indeed.  Cheers and happy Father's Day. 

Back to the Mac that may be up for sale soon.  

Leawood911:

I'm not bitter at all. Just making sport of your 'do as I say' hypocrisy (as you attack my politics while banning political discussion). If you think people like Apias were the solution and me the problem that is okay. It is illuminating. Your thin skinned approach to politics is your problem not mine and guess what...  you get to deal with the resulting social downfall. So I'm not bothered. My opinions regarding politics are far from radical unless you love taxes and corruption.  Dangerous beliefs indeed.  Cheers and happy Father's Day. 

Apias the solution? You are just two sides of the same coin, but politics doesn't matter here anymore, don't care what your political opinions are, you don't seem to get it. We have all left the political feuds behind except you, seems you can't seem to help yourself, but I will call you out of you continue to do so. Go play victim somewhere else, like I said grow up.

--

Are you looking to buy a 12C Leawood? I'll post the pictures of it if so.

Carlos from Spain:
    Leawood911:

Apias the solution? You are just two sides of the same coin, but politics doesn't matter here anymore, don't care what your political opinions are, you don't seem to get it. We have all left the political feuds behind except you, seems you can't seem to help yourself, but I will call you out of you continue to do so. Go play victim somewhere else, like I said grow up.

You are the one who keeps mentioning politics. Check yourself buddy. 

nberry:

This is not about bashing Porsche but realities... Some people don't seem to see other cars anymore for whatever reasons.

I wouldn't switch my R8 for a 991.2 GT2 RS, so why would I take a 991.2 GT3? Smiley Not even a 991.2 GT3 RS. Smiley

I would switch to a Huracan Performante in a heartbeat though.

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Carrera 4 GTS Cabriolet (2015), Porsche Cayenne S Diesel (2017), Audi R8 V10 Plus (2016), Mini JCW (2015)

lease-deals are a bit different for a GT2RS etc

on a serious note - you buy a exotic for a different reason than you buy a Porsche - after having been with the Ferrari Club at the mille miglia they buy a brand to Show their success or ego - only very few buy for pure driving pleasure

BjoernB:

lease-deals are a bit different for a GT2RS etc

Smiley Porsche would be happy for me to have one. Smiley Also, this would probably be a car I would buy, same goes to the Performante. Actually, I am still thinking about it but I cannot return my R8 and my wife wouldn't be pleased either.

on a serious note - you buy a exotic for a different reason than you buy a Porsche - after having been with the Ferrari Club at the mille miglia they buy a brand to Show their success or ego - only very few buy for pure driving pleasure

Now you understand why I drive an Audi. Smiley Smiley My dream car was always the Huracan and my Audi dealer is also a Lamborghini dealer. The Huracan would have been a bit more expensive with the lease but if I really wanted one... I made the decision for the R8 for a reason. Just came back from Italy, so much positive feedback from people and other sportscar owners but apparently the brand is still more important than the car itself. That Aston Martin Vantage S V12 driver said that he was impressed by the sound and performance, he even liked the interior of the R8 a lot but he would never get one because it is...an Audi. Smiley Well, that Audi kicked his AM's butt. Smiley Smiley

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Carrera 4 GTS Cabriolet (2015), Porsche Cayenne S Diesel (2017), Audi R8 V10 Plus (2016), Mini JCW (2015)

well - they were all at LeMans - had very nice Chats with them - even shook Hands with Wolfgang P - very humble Person kiss I am totally sold to the brand - amazing Team.

BjoernB:

well - they were all at LeMans - had very nice Chats with them - even shook Hands with Wolfgang P - very humble Person kiss I am totally sold to the brand - amazing Team.

I love Porsche but I am fed up with the 911, sorry. I am waiting for the next step...the 960. It is coming, just a matter of time. Let's just hope that the price tag will be acceptable and that Porsche still knows how to build a good sounding car, despite the various restrictions. If they make it a V6 Biturbo, they can keep it for themselves. Smiley Not going to happen though.Smiley

--

noone1:
    MKSGR:
    noone1:

I'm really not. The performance is high enough. It's getting pointless in normal usage. If I wanted to be faster, I'd learn to drive faster rather than just buy faster cars. I'm sure plenty of people out there can drive faster in a 12C than I could in a 720S, thus the appeal definitely isn't the performance.

If I could get the latest and greatest exotic designs and technology with less power and for less dollars, I would have no problem with that. Unfortunately there doesn't seem to be a market for that yet, thus I'll get high-performance whether I want to pay for it or not.

I kind of agree. The only new car that is really tickling my fancy is the 812 and I don't have the money to buy one. I find the front end of every McLaren offputting, the 911 interior is getting more than dated and all the cars are fast enough now that they are too fast to have a lot of fun on the street most of the time. 

--

Past-President, Porsche Club of America - Upper Canada Region

Oh yes, I forgot the 812...very nice. Even more than the 720.

--

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/29/24 1:47 PM
    Enmanuel
    690983 1781
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    410126 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    256179 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    235403 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65744 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4744 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

858782 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    775097 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM