Crown

Board: Porsche - Boxster Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Updates on Zeintech- Zeintop

The Zeintec composite hardtop for the Boxster 986 is now ready for ordering. The 987 model will take a further 6-8 weeks before the production model will be ready.

Re: Updates on Zeintech- Zeintop

trunk

also... in my attempt to make my boxster into 2 (cayman, boxster) subject to season change [summer:boxster, winter:cayman]
    are the side vents available for retro fitting?
    if yes, where? is it possible to DIY?

Quote:
    nachi said:
    The Zeintec composite hardtop for the Boxster 986 is now ready for ordering. The 987 model will take a further 6-8 weeks before the production model will be ready.

why on earth would you want to do that? If you want a coupe, don't buy a roadster in the first place. That thing is unreal.

Too much mountain gazing....sigh

Hi nachi, I understand why you want to do that bcos I live in Canada (Toronto & Ottawa) for more than 15yrs, its unbelieve cold in the winter time ever with the top, but the road is not as icy/ snow complete to other place since we pay so much tax to clear it.

Quote:
    amazon said:
    Quote:
    nachi said:

why on earth would you want to do that? If you want a coupe, don't buy a roadster in the first place. That thing is unreal.

I agree totally.

Now that is ugly!!!

Quote:
    dreamcar said:
    Quote:
    amazon said:
    Quote:
    nachi said:

I agree totally.

Quote:
    fsdell said:
    Hi nachi, I understand why you want to do that bcos I live in Canada (Toronto & Ottawa) for more than 15yrs, its unbelieve cold in the winter time ever with the top, but the road is not as icy/ snow complete to other place since we pay so much tax to clear it.

Try living in Toronto Canada! haha
    Crazy winter with crazy snow!

i can't live without the convertable top in the summer! haha

Quote:
    Scotty A said:
    Result: I drove to work this morning and it's the first time with the hard top since the 15 miles home from the dealer in August when I picked up the car. It feels like driving a coupe. There is a noticable improvement in the sound level inside the cabin. The rear window is larger that the glass window in the fabric top. The liner is competely clean and finished, and the color match inside and out is excellent. I'm really pleased.

I know that I'm now carrying probably 200 pounds extra weight between the Cab mechanism and fabric top, and the 70 lbs. for the hard top. I also know I still don't have the beautiful lines of the coupe. On the other hand, all summer long I have infinite head room and warm wind in my hair. And nothing beats a warm summer night in a convertable.

I wanted both a coupe and a boxster... so i bought a boxster... in hoping it can be both.. now it has been realized

If you don't like it, then don't get it

I Don'T Believe i bought the wrong car!
    Boxster suppose to be all-season-car, no?
    my boxster is a MY05, they don't have cayman back then. also, look at the price tag! other coupes in this price range is not as attractive... IMO slk is ugly with cheap nobs everywhere in the console, my brohter owns a Audi TT... and jap. made cars don't have that leather feel when you sit in it... everywhere you look is plastic! i mean just look at the boxster and give me a reason not to buy it compare to other cars in that price range

it is my daily car for all 4 seasons

anyways... just presenting an option for those who might want it

Quote:
    nachi said:

Other companies create whole cars in the time-frame needed by Zeintec to create some hardtop.

987 is an all season car, and all the better for it - top down at -2'C on the commute this morning

Quote:
    percymon said:
    987 is an all season car, and all the better for it - top down at -2'C on the commute this morning

Nothing more invigorating than a cold, crisp sunny morning with the roof down, heater up and heated seats on.
    Others on the road look at you as if you are insane, but who cares?

Quote:
    dreamcar said:
    Quote:
    percymon said:

Nothing more invigorating than a cold, crisp sunny morning with the roof down, heater up and heated seats on.

I hope to top the experience when I'll drive in the snow with the top down with the Boxey for the first time
    Our car got it's winter shoes today (18" Cayman S wheels + Pirelli winter tyres). Can't wait to have a look & a spin. The Mrs. already told me via phone that she loooooves the look and that the handling is more go-kartish compared to the 19" - sounds like fun, ehem except for the bank account

Quote:
    Porsche-Jeck said:
    Quote:
    dreamcar said:
    Quote:
    percymon said:

I hope to top the experience when I'll drive in the snow with the top down with the Boxey for the first time
    Our car got it's winter shoes today (18" Cayman S wheels + Pirelli winter tyres). Can't wait to have a look & a spin. The Mrs. already told me via phone that she loooooves the look and that the handling is more go-kartish compared to the 19" - sounds like fun, ehem except for the bank account

I've been driving in the mountains of Vermont for the last 4 years in my 986s on 18" Michelin Pilot Sports...Not ideal with fresh powder on the road, but not any worse than other RWD cars I've had in the past. I'm waiting for my new 987s (October production) to board a ship to the US...Also decided to give Boxster teqequipment winter wheels/tires a chance this year as extra (in some cases any) traction would be helpful! (I'll post a comparison after the first snowfall here at the Magichles Dorfhaus)

Quote:
    dreamcar said:

they look at me like i'm insane in the summer too

its driving in the dark and cold on the commute home that really gets to them

It's driving in the dark and cold on the commute home that really gets to me, too.

Now, a warm summer's eve ... that's an entirely different thing.

Quote:
    bostbrewer said:
    I'm waiting for my new 987s (October production) to board a ship to the US...Also decided to give Boxster teqequipment winter wheels/tires a chance this year as extra (in some cases any) traction would be helpful! (I'll post a comparison after the first snowfall here at the Magichles Dorfhaus)

Welcome on board, Bostbrewer - your nick sounds like your profession has something to do with beer and "Dorfhaus" is an all German word for sure
    I hope your baby will make it soon across the pond
    Don't forget to post tons of pics when it has arrived As for your experiences with summer tyres in the snow: It can be fun to slide around in the outback with no traffic, but it's more than scary in normal traffic.
    As a rule of thumb one can say, that in the snow traction of winter tyres is 5X better than summer tyres.
    To return to the original topic of the thread Some winter tyres should be a far better investment compared to the Zeintec hardtop (at least if you can park your car in a garage).
    Happy winter driving to everbody

Quote:
    Porsche-Jeck said:
    Quote:
    bostbrewer said:
    I'm waiting for my new 987s (October production) to board a ship to the US...Also decided to give Boxster teqequipment winter wheels/tires a chance this year as extra (in some cases any) traction would be helpful! (I'll post a comparison after the first snowfall here at the Magichles Dorfhaus)

Welcome on board, Bostbrewer - your nick sounds like your profession has something to do with beer and "Dorfhaus" is an all German word for sure
    I hope your baby will make it soon across the pond
    Don't forget to post tons of pics when it has arrived As for your experiences with summer tyres in the snow: It can be fun to slide around in the outback with no traffic, but it's more than scary in normal traffic.
    As a rule of thumb one can say, that in the snow traction of winter tyres is 5X better than summer tyres.
    To return to the original topic of the thread Some winter tyres should be a far better investment compared to the Zeintec hardtop (at least if you can park your car in a garage).
    Happy winter driving to everbody

Yes. I appreciate the engineering of the Zeintop, however, I found that I rarely used the Hardtop with my first 986 MY99 and it spent most of the time in my spare bedroom (a brownstone in Boston w/no Garage ). IMHO, much better to spend $$ on options and Beer (I brew as a hobby). Although a friend from NJ is interested in either a Cayman or a Boxster, now he can have two in one if he so desires!
    ps. I live and drive partime in the Village at Magic Mountain in Vermont (Magichles Dorfhaus is "Magic Village House" in my bad translation...if I'm wrong let me know before we print the sign )

i bought a set of bridgestone BlitX last winter... it works great! 235/40+265/35 R18

Quote:
    bostbrewer said:
    I live and drive partime in the Village at Magic Mountain in Vermont (Magichles Dorfhaus is "Magic Village House" in my bad translation...if I'm wrong let me know before we print the sign )

hhhmmm, that's a tricky one If you would stick to your translation it would read "Magisches Dorfhaus".
    However, I think in Germany most people wouldn't use Dorfhaus, but "Landhaus" (original meaning is more like a cottage, but today it's also used for any kind of elegant countryside villas).
    With "magic" it gets even more tricky As an adjective you sure can use "magisch", but also "zauberhaft" (= more like "enchanting").
    As a substantive magic would be "Zauber" (more referring to magicians, witches etc.)
    I would either go for "Zauberhaus" (magician's house - and as a brewer you're a kind of magician ) or I would mix it up (English/German) and say "Magic Landhaus", so you have a direct reference to "Magic Mountain" - "Magisches Landhaus" sounds a bit artificial in German.
    Choosing the right options for your Porsche is an easy task compared to these language tricks

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    688440 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    408658 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255499 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    234748 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65366 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4634 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

857536 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    773287 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM