Crown

Board: Porsche - Cayman Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Wiping the grin off smug 911ers.....

Heheheh....(subject matter guaranteed to ruffle a few feathers)...but anyway...

Just wondering if anybody has considered/done an engine upgrade on their Cayman S. In particular, I quite like the sound of this Techart Engine upgrade. Any idea of convenience of fitting, costs, and hiked insurance premia for someone who lives in London? I've heard this piece of kit will get you performance gains of about 0.5s-0.8s on 0-60.

POWER KIT TA 087S/C3.6 Art.-Nr.: 087.300.360.009
    approx. 250kw / 340hp
    (the figures may change due to tolerances of the standard engine)
    Base 3.4l / 217kw / 295hp
    consisting of:
    - Increased capacity 3.6l
    - connecting rods
    - crankshaft
    - Injection valves
    - TECHART-Sport induction pipes
    - TECHART-Sport airbox
    - Aluminium intake manifold
    - TECHART-Extractor manifold
    - TECHART-Sport exhaust system
    - TECHART-Motronic (Modification of genuine part)
    - TÜV-certificate

Alternatively, if anybody has any better suggestions as to how I can attain similar improved stats (e.g. 0-60 lowered by 0.5s or better) at a lower cost/minimum installment fuss, it'd be much appreciated! Plus, are these upgrades compatible with Tiptronic boxes?

Thanks, J

Re: Wiping the grin off smug 911ers.....

TechArt is not a good deal. They are expensive enough to make you wish had traded up to a used 997S instead. In the US, I guess your mechanical surgery at 25K in parts and 12-15k for labor - and your list does not include a few other parts you will need.

It also might cost you less to source a used 997S engine
    and do a engine swap instead of buying Techart parts and the paying the shop labor rates to fit them.

Jim,

In the US one could get a Ruf conversion done for about the same cost as you cite. It would be a 3.8, X-51, powerplant too.

Porsche surgery is never inexpensive.

Jim - thanks for the tip. Would there be any compatibility issues with implanting the 911 engine into the Cayman; given that it is meant to be rear-situated? I know that sounds really naive and ignorant but you can never be too sure!

Frozen - do you have any details/pdf brochures on the RUF conversion?

Thanks to all....J

JYH - Its a common transplant procedure and even lots of independent shops do it.

What likely you wont get out of it is additional resale value to equal your conversion cost.

Past a certain price point the market for Porsches shifts to demand for 911's with little demand for modded high priced used Caymans/Boxsters. So think before you leap.

All valid points, thanks. It's good to weigh out the options... Any other suggestions on how to boost the car by a good 20-30bhp e.g. chipping? In all the above failing, I'll just trade in for a 997S :-p If you can't beat 'em, join 'em.....j/k

20 plus hp is probably attainable with less restrictve intake, tuned headers, sport cats (wich will not last long), tuned exhaust and ecu re- mapping (chip). However.. the trick is to find the right combination of brands of parts and the right guy to set it all up properly.... and that isnt easy.

And just seat of the pants endoresments from other mod customers is not a replacement for Dyno figures - wich can change from brand to brand of Dyno, altitude and air/motor temps and fuel quality.

Then you get to the next issue - would an additional 20hp without changing cam profiles - and a limited slip diff to get the power down - really net you any more real world accelleration worth sacrificifing durability and warranty on some parts??

Yes aftermarket parts do have their own warranty, but on just the parts - not the labor to uninstall and re install their replacements if the originals are defective - thats something to clafify with whomever you select to mod your car.

You will see a lot of car parts makers claims to add 10, 20,30 hp - but few achieve it without sacrificing something
    be it on the engines output curve, durability or reliabilty or somewhere.

Is it all worth it? might be better to spend the money on several different advanced drivers schools and some barely legal tires for summer street/track use.

The latest 987S and Cayman S have more than enough power for the street. Why beg trouble modifying to feature match performance numbers against other cars you might never encounter in a mano y mano road duel?

Quote:
    JimFlat6 said:
    Why beg trouble modifying to feature match performance numbers against other cars you might never encounter in a mano y mano road duel?

This is so true and wise...on open roads it does not make sense. Performance is in a way flattened by traffic etc.
    But then it depends if drag race at red light or high speed chase on the autobahn is something you do...
    I would not bother for an extra 20hp...and potentially break warranty or anything else. These 20hp is not going to make SUCH a difference on open road and only will make some company richer

When I read this, the first image that entered my mind was this....you go to the supermarket and buy a beautiful sponge base for a cake. Then you ask somebody to do the icing on it for you. You know the result...It's cheaper in the long run to buy a ready-iced cake right from the start if that's what you wanted all along...

www.rufautocentre.com

Ask for Hans or Wayne.

Quote:
    easy_rider911 said:
    When I read this, the first image that entered my mind was this....you go to the supermarket and buy a beautiful sponge base for a cake. Then you ask somebody to do the icing on it for you. You know the result...It's cheaper in the long run to buy a ready-iced cake right from the start if that's what you wanted all along...

That's exactly what I was thinking.

this guy will put a 3.8 in the Cayman
    web page

What about the Orton supercharger?

http://www.caymanclub.net/showthread.php?t=6730

(Hate to post a Cayman Club link here. Those guys think Porsche can do no wrong and the Cayman is perfect as is, without any more horsepower that it desparately needs.)

Quote:
    wushuhsu said:
    Hate to post a Cayman Club link here. Those guys think Porsche can do no wrong and the Cayman is perfect as is, without any more horsepower that it desparately needs.)

farnbacher-loles gtr

what about the farnbacher-loles gtr?

http://farnbacherloles.com/

Re: farnbacher-loles gtr

The 997 GT3 makes the grin even bigger!

We www.mindovermotorsports.com have one complete now and are just waiting on ECU flash to accomodate the X51 3.8 and one off headers and exhaust. It's already a monster and the sound is incredible. We had the first PSS9 set available also but will likely be moving to Motons. As others have pointed out however this surgey is not cheap by any means!

Oh boy...

Quote:
    JYH said:
    Jim - thanks for the tip. Would there be any compatibility issues with implanting the 911 engine into the Cayman; given that it is meant to be rear-situated? I know that sounds really naive and ignorant but you can never be too sure!

Another tip re compatibility:

Do something about the transmission before you install it the other way around.

Unless you think you'd like to get used to one forward and six reverse gears.

Quote:
    fritz said:
    Quote:
    JYH said:

That is the Australian version

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2006/10/07/ap/strange/mainD8KJG4081.shtml

Quote:
    JimFlat6 said:
    Quote:
    fritz said:
    Quote:
    JYH said:

Jim,

Did they clock his 0-60 time?

Quote:
    Turbo Al said:
    Quote:
    JimFlat6 said:
    Quote:
    fritz said:
    Quote:
    JYH said:

Jim,

Yes. It came out at minus 5.9 seconds.

Well, he was in reverse gear!

Quote:
    fritz said:
    Quote:
    Turbo Al said:
    Quote:
    JimFlat6 said:
    Quote:
    fritz said:
    Quote:
    JYH said:

Jim,

Yes. It came out at minus 5.9 seconds.

Well, he was in reverse gear!

Almost as fast as stock going forwards!

I have been a member of this forum for quite some time, and visit regularly.
    I am also a member of Caymanclub.net, and visit it regularly as well.
    I find comments like "Hate to post a Cayman Club link here. Those guys think Porsche can do no wrong and the Cayman is perfect as is, without any more horsepower that it desparately (sic) needs", to be uninformed. There have been countless threads discussing the perceived lack of power in the Cayman, and even more on how to increase it.
    Like all forums, it has its good points and its bad, although in my opinion, it is an excellent forum for the Cayman owner. There are frank and open discussions related to the Cayman faults, and comparisons to other sports cars. As you might expect, it is biased toward the Cayman.
    As a first time Porsche owner, I have found both forums to be an excellent place to find information on these fine cars.

If you ever suggest that the Cayman is underpowered and overpriced on caymanclub.net or even imply that you might consider any other manufacturer's car, you're immediately deluged with brilliant replies like

"Porsche is the most profitable company in the world. They know what they're doing." How condescending is that?

"A Porsche is a Porsche is a Porsche." You can't argue against brilliant logic like that.

"Horsepower is never cheap in a Porsche." What does that have to do with anything?

"The Cayman doesn't need any more power." What?

The club there is dominated by people who already have a Cayman and don't want Porsche to make any improvements whatsoever to it. Unfortunately, they're also not the people who'll be buying Porsches in the near future and they definitely won't be buying any more Porsches unless Porsche makes significant upgrades to the Cayman. So their opinion should count the least with the ever profit-oriented Porsche.

If you ever suggest that the Cayman is underpowered and overpriced on caymanclub.net or even imply that you might consider any other manufacturer's car, you're immediately deluged with brilliant replies like

"Porsche is the most profitable company in the world. They know what they're doing." How condescending is that?
    Condescending to whom? It is a Porsche forum, almost exclusively populated by Porsche enthusiasts'. To be condescending, you must first have someone to target for your condescension

"A Porsche is a Porsche is a Porsche." You can't argue against brilliant logic like that.
    Out of context it does sound a little dumb. Man, it's a good thing we've never written anything that stupid, huh.

"Horsepower is never cheap in a Porsche." What does that have to do with anything?
    Again, out of context. Many of these discussions center on adding more power to the Cayman, and how much that would cost. Strange that you should bring that one up, given the previous statements on this thread that the lack of power is never discussed.

"The Cayman doesn't need any more power." What?
    Depends on your application, and driving style. As a track car, I would disagree, as a grocery getter, I would not.

The club there is dominated by people who already have a Cayman and don't want Porsche to make any improvements whatsoever to it.
    I have read a few comments from people who think the car is good as is. Far more people think there should be improvements, particularly in additional power.

Unfortunately, they're also not the people who'll be buying Porsches in the near future and they definitely won't be buying any more Porsches unless Porsche makes significant upgrades to the Cayman.

There are a large number of people on the board who have owned Porsches before, and I would imagine they will buy again. Your assumption about what they will "definitely" do, assumes they will purchase another Cayman. Unless you are financing all these folks, I'm guessing that you don't have a clue as to what they would "definitely" do in the future.

So their opinion should count the least with the ever profit-oriented Porsche.
    If I were Porsche, I would pay the most attention to current owners of my brand and model. After all, they are in the best position to tell me what's good and bad about the vehicle.

I'm not sure why Caymanclub.net gets bashed here so often, and if that is what you're about, so be it. I like the discussions on both boards. I would admit that Caymanclub is a more civil environment, and a place where you are much less likely to read long threads about how bad they Cayman is, or how people hope the Cayman will simply disappear when the Boxster upgrade appears. It is a relaxing community of people who love their cars. According to nearly every article written about it, they have every right to feel that way.

Quote:
    WD said:

I'm not sure why Caymanclub.net gets bashed here so often, and if that is what you're about, so be it. I like the discussions on both boards. I would admit that Caymanclub is a more civil environment, and a place where you are much less likely to read long threads about how bad they Cayman is, or how people hope the Cayman will simply disappear when the Boxster upgrade appears. It is a relaxing community of people who love their cars. According to nearly every article written about it, they have every right to feel that way.

Can't we all just get along? lol

Brand bickering is silly, but model bickering is even sillier, especially within what is essentially the same model. Sheesh.

I think the Cayman is an excellent car. Neither it nor its owners deserve a 'bashing'. Sure, one can suggest ways one might wish to improve on its already remarkable performance but that is really how such debates should be pursued IMO.

These debates appear to be part of the 'struggle' for the Cayman to establish its street cred in the Porsche line-up. On merits alone, this car well deserves its place but these things take time since some people are slower than others to accept change.

I think Cayman owners just shouldn't lose their cool in the meantime. They should be satisfied in the knowledge that they already have a simply superb car and that others' opinions are irrelevant.

Quote:
    wushuhsu said:
    The club there is dominated by people who already have a Cayman and don't want Porsche to make any improvements whatsoever to it. Unfortunately, they're also not the people who'll be buying Porsches in the near future and they definitely won't be buying any more Porsches unless Porsche makes significant upgrades to the Cayman. So their opinion should count the least with the ever profit-oriented Porsche.

Now that is possibly the biggest BS flawed logic I've come across on forum.
    And why so bitter and twisted?

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    760552 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    434290 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    259971 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    257118 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    80738 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5311 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

871198 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    806356 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM