Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 - Turbo Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Which wheel set should I get?

Okay folks, I'm on the fence here. I'm having a hard time deciding which wheel I should get for my 997TT? I started out thinking that I wanted to get the Champion RG5 Monolite 19" wheels but then I switched to the BBS 19" Racing Wheels with black centers. I realized that both wheels are a bit too "complex" looking for my tastes.

So, my criterias are:

1) Strong and lightweight (forged)
    2) Elegant and beautiful
    3) Simplicity is key
    4) 19" and works with the OEM tires without the use of spacers if possible (20" wheels offer very limited tire selections)

I've narrowed the choices down to the RUF 19" wheels and maybe Rinspeed if they offer 19" wheels (only could find 20"). I'm not interested in Techart because they're a bit too heavy (3 pounds heavier than stock).

What are your thoughts on which wheel I should look at?

BTW, I did think about getting GT3 wheels but they're cast and would need spacers.

Re: Which wheel set should I get?

i'm like you simpler is better...so many wheels, including the stock, are kind of busy for no reason....have you thought about cobalt powder coating in some manner?...imo 20's don't look right and depending on how you will be using the car, i've found the ground and wheel well clearances are about perfect if the suspension is busy...this week ?

What about these Sportec's Jason?

jason, i like BBS RS-GT with diamond black finish but don't think you would like that one.

Right now I'm leaning strongly towards the RUF wheels. I'm waiting to hear from them before proceeding forward. I'm ultimately planning to just wait until I actually get the car before making a decision. I do like the Sportec wheels. They look good.

Quote:
    atomic80 said:
    Okay folks, I'm on the fence here. I'm having a hard time deciding which wheel I should get for my 997TT? I started out thinking that I wanted to get the Champion RG5 Monolite 19" wheels but then I switched to the BBS 19" Racing Wheels with black centers. I realized that both wheels are a bit too "complex" looking for my tastes.

So, my criterias are:

1) Strong and lightweight (forged)
    2) Elegant and beautiful
    3) Simplicity is key
    4) 19" and works with the OEM tires without the use of spacers if possible (20" wheels offer very limited tire selections)

I've narrowed the choices down to the RUF 19" wheels and maybe Rinspeed if they offer 19" wheels (only could find 20"). I'm not interested in Techart because they're a bit too heavy (3 pounds heavier than stock).

What are your thoughts on which wheel I should look at?

BTW, I did think about getting GT3 wheels but they're cast and would need spacers.

Check out wheelenhnancement.com

I'm not sure if they make 19" wheels, but I've got the 20' diamond cut Sport Technic Mono 10's and love them. They are very light and the finish is incredible. I usually prefer black rims and have considered having the centers painted, but these practically sparkle. Also, while looking at the wheels unmounted, I actually had to be told they were a 3 piece wheel and even then, you had to really look at the seems to see the joining of the different materials. The seems are that well done.

sorry but....
    whats the problem with the stock one??
    the size?
    the design?
    do wanna be different?
    the TT wheels looks incredible....

I thought the stock wheels looked better on the eclipse.

I do like the Sportec wheels. They look good.

The ones pictured only come 20" requiring a new set of tires. The Sportec web page does show a nice set of 19" wheels.

Quote:
    notgood said:
    I thought the stock wheels looked better on the eclipse.

Awesome Call!

I'm leaning very strongly towards getting the Sportec 7 spoke wheels. Waiting to hear from their US distributor. What do you guys think about putting anthracite with Cobalt blue. Might look a bit odd. I'll try to see if they can do black matte centers with chrome lips. That would look really good.

I've got to say, I like the Sportec 7's better than the 10's. Apparently Sportec is undergoing some changes and I was unable to get the 7's in a reasonable amount of time so, I went with the 10's. In my opinion, black always works, but I think the anthracite might look good too.

19" sportec 7's, cobalt. just a thought, i bet you can p-shop up anything which should greatly reduce any un-certainty.....when should we be expecting news?

I'm in the process of getting more information about those wheels. Waiting to hear from different sources. Where did you get those wheels, notgood?

Shoreline Motoring in Huntington Beach, CA. I couldn't recommend them any more. Outstanding customer service and incredibly fair when I traded in my stock wheels. I actually ordered different wheels and ended up not liking them when they arrived. Shoreline went out of their way to make me happy when, they could have very easily (and justifiably) just said "too bad." They also made a point of actually measuring the my car, the first 997 they fitted, to make sure everything fit the way it should rather than theorizing what would probably fit. They are by far the best shop I've dealt with.

Here's a link:
    http://www.shorelinemotoring.com/

I have no affiliation with Shoreline Motoring whatsoever other than being a satisfied customer. I just appreciate their style of doing business and wanted to pass the word.

Just spoke with Tommy from Rival Motorsport. Official US reseller for Sportec. The 7 spoke wheels I like only come in 20" sizes. The 10 spoke wheels come in 19" wheels. So it looks like I'm going to have to look for other wheel options. They also require the use of spacers and is not TUV approved.

I've decided to go with Fikse Profil 10 with either full race black finish or race black centers with race satin lips.

Quote:
    atomic80 said:
    I've decided to go with Fikse Profil 10 with either full race black finish or race black centers with race satin lips.

pics?

Here you go...

Now I just have to figure out which finish I want to get. I decided not to get a two tone finish. I'll just stick with one.

I think either Race Satin or Speed silver

Here are the various finishes available

Technipolish

Fikse's standard finish features an ultra-strong, liquid cured clearcoat on the diamond turned center section. The mirror polished rims are left polished and uncoated to allow for touch-ups as needed in case of minor scrapes. TecniPolish finish is included at no charge as a standard finish.

Race Satin

This durable satin anodized finish is our recommended finish for professional racing applications and offers a strong, resilient finish on both center and rim sections. Race satin is available as an optional upgrade.

Speedsilver

For a subtle jewel-like appearance, the optional SpeedSilver finish consists of lustrous silver paint with special metallic pigment and a thin liquid topcoat, applied to the center section of the wheel. Mirror polished rims complete this elegant but understated look.

Race Black

The most aggressive, performance driven look possible, race black anodized finish is an optional upgrade that features dramatic deep black anodized finish on both center and rim sections.

Full Polish

The most brilliant look possible, our Full Polish process includes custom mirror polishing of the center section and mirror polished rims. Machining of the center is done after polish for a distinctive subtle contrast between the mirror polish and machined edges.

I like the race black wheels and the speed silver. I'm considering painting my GT3 wheels all black for my Arctic Silver C4S, like the new GT3RS, what do you think?

And the saga continues...I haven't been able to find a reseller for those Fikse wheels. The few that I contacted all say that Fikse has a poor reputation and that they refuse to deal with them. Looks like I'm back to the drawing board.

Quote:
    atomic80 said:
    And the saga continues...I haven't been able to find a reseller for those Fikse wheels. The few that I contacted all say that Fikse has a poor reputation and that they refuse to deal with them. Looks like I'm back to the drawing board.

Isn't EVO using them on their new TT that they are modding?

I'm no wheel expert but what is the issue with spacers and the GT3 wheels - I really like them and would consider them for my own car when I get it.

Quote:
    atomic80 said:

I think someone may have already posted this link but try Wheel Enhancement - http://www.wheelenhancement.com/
    They sell Fikse and although I haven't dealt with them it's been posted that they are very knowledgeable.

These wheels are up there on the top next to Sportec in black.

http://www.autosportengineering.com/9ff/images/9ff_996_Turbo-12.jpg

Stopped by a local Fikse reseller and saw those Fikse wheels in person. I'm not too impressed by their looks. I'm going to keep looking.

Those wheels from 9ff looks cool but the centers hub is not to my liking. Can't see how they're attached.

techarts have always been nice;

Jason, I can't tell you how many people have complimented the stock wheel on my car. Yes there are some excellent aftermarket choices but after two weeks, I am really liking the stock wheel right now. Good luck anyway.

Hold the presses! I'm going to stay with the stock wheels for now. I have such a hard time finding alternatives because I really do like the stock wheels that much. I'll stick with them until something better comes along.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    776205 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    441163 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    262473 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    260655 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    85006 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5450 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

880177 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    815213 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM