Crown

Board: Other Sports Cars Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Standing mile runs today in my Z06 , 0-180 as well

Went out to the Texas mile run today in Goliad Texas. They rented out an airship at a small airport today and tomorrow for 1 mile runs. I'll start by saying it was a blast, an absolute blast.If you haven't done it, you have to try it. It's wicked lining up knowing your about to do 175-180mph without getting a ticket.

There were all kinds of cars and bikes out there today. I was probably one of just a few barely modified vehicles. The rest were very highly modified. There was also some really wicked modified motorcylces.
    I ran very well by all accounts. I took my Passport GT2 timer so I could time it as well to get some 0-180mph. Recent reviews in a German magazine had this time at about 40 seconds for the Z06 and I knew it was wrong. I did 3 passes that were 175, 175.6 and 178.3. These passes were all about 27 seconds long. My 0-180 time was 27.9 seconds. Alot faster than the german rag had which leads me to believe they were sandbagging or outright lying.

To be fair my car does have 22 more dyno confirmed hp than stock which can't account for much. All passes were done on stock tires with 93 octane gas. No race gas.
    This was on a landing strip so traction was terrible. The 0-180 could probably have been 1 second faster.

I ran tied with an R1 motorcyle. He said he was running all out as fast as he could. There were some Hyabusas running near 200. The fastest Busa ran 230mph.

The lone Ford GT ran back to back 169s. I was by far the fastest car that was not highly modified except for a couple other C6Zs. I believe a they were running mid 175s as well. Here's some pics of my GT2 timer times and my slips. Sorry about the quality. Some guy took vids of me in hi def. I'll get the links fom him and post them asap.

You guys need to try this. It was so much fun I nearly pissed myself at 180.

Re: Standing mile runs today in my Z06 , 0-180 as well

Quote:
    355Spider said:
    Went out to the Texas mile run today in Goliad Texas. They rented out an airship at a small airport today and tomorrow for 1 mile runs. I'll start by saying it was a blast, an absolute blast.If you haven't done it, you have to try it. It's wicked lining up knowing your about to do 175-180mph without getting a ticket.

There were all kinds of cars and bikes out there today. I was probably one of just a few barely modified vehicles. The rest were very highly modified. There was also some really wicked modified motorcylces.
    I ran very well by all accounts. I took my Passport GT2 timer so I could time it as well to get some 0-180mph. Recent reviews in a German magazine had this time at about 40 seconds for the Z06 and I knew it was wrong. I did 3 passes that were 175, 175.6 and 178.3. These passes were all about 27 seconds long. My 0-180 time was 27.9 seconds. Alot faster than the german rag had which leads me to believe they were sandbagging or outright lying.

To be fair my car does have 22 more dyno confirmed hp than stock which can't account for much. All passes were done on stock tires with 93 octane gas. No race gas.
    This was on a landing strip so traction was terrible. The 0-180 could probably have been 1 second faster.

I ran tied with an R1 motorcyle. He said he was running all out as fast as he could. There were some Hyabusas running near 200. The fastest Busa ran 230mph.

The lone Ford GT ran back to back 169s. I was by far the fastest car that was not highly modified except for a couple other C6Zs. I believe a they were running mid 175s as well. Here's some pics of my GT2 timer times and my slips. Sorry about the quality. Some guy took vids of me in hi def. I'll get the links fom him and post them asap.

You guys need to try this. It was so much fun I nearly pissed myself at 180.

Sam Houston would be proud .
    But seriously, AMS aren't lying. Some more testing would be in order.

The numbers on the original test seem odd to begin with. These numbers are more in line with what I would've expected. (somewhere in the low 30s)

355spider,

there is no conflict between your test data and the AMS figures.

Just watch the below video. The Z06 needs around 12s (!) between 180 and 190mph (based on speedo indication).

Adding those 12s to your 28s for 0-180 and recognizing that (due to your special tires, I guess?) your car did a very quick 0-60 time your car needs around 40s for 0-300. Thes test car was 1s slower

Video link: www.youtube.com/watch?v=I6EiNFiLhV0&mode=related&search=

BTW: You don't happen to have a 0-157mph (250kph) number?

The corresponding AMS figures was 19s.

You recorded the following:

0-170: 23.5s
    0-180: 28s

Thus, the delta for 10mph is 4.5s. Assuming, for example, that 160-170 required a bit less (say 4s) this would imply a 0-160 time of around 19.5s. Also pretty much in line with the AMS test car.

One could even argue that the AMS test car was quicker than yours, given the above comments... So yes, the Z06 needs in excess of 40s for 0-300.

300kph = 186.41667mph

Quote:
    MKSGR said:
    355spider,

there is no conflict between your test data and the AMS figures.

Just watch the below video. The Z06 needs around 12s (!) between 180 and 190mph (based on speedo indication).

Adding those 12s to your 28s for 0-180 and recognizing that (due to your special tires, I guess?) your car did a very quick 0-60 time your car needs around 40s for 0-300. Thes test car was 1s slower

Video link: www.youtube.com/watch?v=I6EiNFiLhV0&mode=related&search=

No special tires. I was on stock tires and it was an airstrip which gave me terrible traction. That accounts for the bad 0-60(3.8) and 0-100(7.9). I've done both of those times almost a seconds faster with sticky tires.

Here's the speed increases per/s for 10mph.
    50-60= .64
    90-100= 1.42
    110-120=1.35
    130-140=1.82
    140-150=2.05
    150-160=3.65
    160-170=3.60
    170-180=4.40
    So we're really supposed to believe it takes another 13.9 seconds to go the remaining 6.3mph. It would take 4 at most. Which is what I supected. Right around the LP640s time. Considering I killed the Ford GT in attendance by at least 6-8mph per run that would make sense. The crazy thing is there are bone stock Z06s that are faster than mine. I'm sure some guys could have done 0-180 in 26 seconds flat. WIth traction I think I could have done it 1.5s faster.

355Spider: you used your Passport GT2 G-Timer to measure your 0-180mph times, right? You also mentioned that there were official timers present in the track. Did they also measure the 0-xxxmph times or are they just there to measure your Vmax?

The reason I'm asking is because AMS used GPS-based equipment to get all their data. GPS-based = accurate. The Passport GT2 is motion-based, and motion-based accelerometers are inherently less accurate. You might not know it but the Passport GT2 could be off by as much as 10mph once you're up to speed.

Just something to ponder.

Quote:
    355Spider said:

So we're really supposed to believe it takes another 13.9 seconds to go the remaining 6.3mph. It would take 4 at most. Which is what I supected. Right around the LP640s time. Considering I killed the Ford GT in attendance by at least 6-8mph per run that would make sense. The crazy thing is there are bone stock Z06s that are faster than mine. I'm sure some guys could have done 0-180 in 26 seconds flat. WIth traction I think I could have done it 1.5s faster.

27.9s (your 0-180mph time according to your Passport GT2) + 4s (additional time needed to get to 300kph according to you) = 31.9s. Quite unbelievable when you consider that the Carrera GT needed 34.2s when tested by AMS last year. But anyway, let's calculate a bit more:

Your 0-150mph time is 16.25s. 0-160mph time is 19.9s. If we average it out, we can say that your 0-155.34mph (250kph) time is around 18.2s.

31.9s - 18.2s = 13.7s (time needed to get from 250kph to 300kph according to your data).

The Ferrari 599 GTB Fiorano needed 13.3s to get from 250kph to 300kph. 14.1s for the Lamborghini Murcielago LP640. 18.4s for the SLR.

The C6 Z06 is one hell of a car, but you can't realistically think that it's nearly as fast as the 599 (what a monster) and faster than the LP640 and SLR at speeds above 250kph.

Quote:
    355Spider said:
    So we're really supposed to believe it takes another 13.9 seconds to go the remaining 6.3mph. It would take 4 at most.

Just look at the video. The Z06 is very, very slow above (real) 180kph.

The remaining mph would indeed require around 12s.

BTW: Your above data indicates that the 0-250kph time of your car is pretty much on par with the AMS test car...

Why, on that basis, should one reasonably believe that the AMS data is wrong? Where a direct comparison is possible your data confirms the AMS results...

I am close to 100% convinced that your car would need 40s for 0-300kph on the basis of the above data and based on the other info discussed above

Easy solution: just do a GPS test up to 300kph

Quote:
    Henjie said:

The Passport GT2 is motion-based, and motion-based accelerometers are inherently less accurate. You might not know it but the Passport GT2 could be off by as much as 10mph once you're up to speed.

OK, then the inaccuracy of 355spider's equipment is probably a bigger problem at very high speeds (above 250kph)

Quote:
    MKSGR said:
    Quote:
    Henjie said:

The Passport GT2 is motion-based, and motion-based accelerometers are inherently less accurate. You might not know it but the Passport GT2 could be off by as much as 10mph once you're up to speed.

OK, then the inaccuracy of 355spider's equipment is probably a bigger problem at very high speeds (above 250kph)

MKSGR, there is only one solution to this debate, and it involves you receiving another Xmas card .

Quote:
    MKSGR said:
    Quote:
    355Spider said:
    So we're really supposed to believe it takes another 13.9 seconds to go the remaining 6.3mph. It would take 4 at most.

BTW: Your above data indicates that the 0-250kph time of your car is pretty much on par with the AMS test car...

Why, on that basis, should one reasonably believe that the AMS data is wrong? Where a direct comparison is possible your data confirms the AMS results...

I am close to 100% convinced that your car would need 40s for 0-300kph on the basis of the above data and based on the other info discussed above

You are 100% correct!!! After looking at the video, there is no doubt the Zo6 would take ~40sec. 0-300.

IF you pause the video at ~60mph and look at the time, it shows ~18sec. Then play till ~186mph and pause again, you'll see a time of ~55sec.

Now, do the math: 55 - 18 = 37.
    It takes the Zo6 37sec. from 60mph - 186mph.
    Add an additional 3.5-4 sec. for 0-60mph time and you get ~40.5-41 sec.

So, 0-300kph in ~41sec. is correctamundo!! Case closed.

Quote:
    svtrader1 said:
    Quote:
    MKSGR said:
    Quote:
    355Spider said:

You are 100% correct!!! After looking at the video, there is no doubt the Zo6 would take ~40sec. 0-300.

IF you pause the video at ~60mph and look at the time, it shows ~18sec. Then play till ~186mph and pause again, you'll see a time of ~55sec.

Now, do the math: 55 - 18 = 37.
    It takes the Zo6 37sec. from 60mph - 186mph.
    Add an additional 3.5-4 sec. for 0-60mph time and you get ~40.5-41 sec.

So, 0-300kph in ~41sec. is correctamundo!! Case closed.

Wow very technical discussion now!!

Still z06 250-300kmh topic??

I personally would find it hilarious to see two high-performance street cars (lets say a 997TT and a z06) cruising along in the highways in Bavaria, when both drivers pull up next to each other at approx. 200kmph, they both look at each other and decide to floor it to 300kmph.

Both cars are wonderful and have their own inherient fortes and weaknesses. That's the way I see it

Quote:
    MKSGR said:
    Quote:
    355Spider said:

If you are so confident we can put a little wager on it. I'll find a GPS timer somewhere. We'll put $10K a piece in a pay pall account and see who wins. As a matter of fact i'll extend that bet to everyone on this site. Easy money.
    If you really think that a car that has just done 0-180 in 27.9 seconds will take another 13.9 seconds(=41.8 AMS#) to go the remaining 6.4mph you deserve to lose your money. Especially when that same car did the previous 10 seconds in 4.4 seconds.

Quote:
    355Spider said:

If you really think that a car that has just done 0-180 in 27.9 seconds will take another 13.9 seconds(=41.8 AMS#) to go the remaining 6.4mph you deserve to lose your money. Especially when that same car did the previous 10 seconds in 4.4 seconds.

Come on man. Do you honestly believe that the C6 Z06 is faster than the Carrera GT AND the SLR from 0-300kph? The Z06 is hella good, but it's not that good.

I know you got a 27.9s 0-180mph time using your Passport GT2, but there are far better ways to accurately measure your car's performance (in comes GPS).

Check out this test of a G-Tech Pro: Testing the G-Tech Pro. Scroll down to the part where they discuss accuracy and consistency and you'll see the inherent weakness of motion-based accelerometers.

Quote:
    Henjie said:
    Quote:
    355Spider said:

Come on man. Do you honestly believe that the C6 Z06 is faster than the Carrera GT AND the SLR from 0-300kph? The Z06 is hella good, but it's not that good.

I know you got a 27.9s 0-180mph time using your Passport GT2, but there are far better ways to accurately measure your car's performance (in comes GPS).

Check out this test of a G-Tech Pro: Testing the G-Tech Pro. Scroll down to the part where they discuss accuracy and consistency and you'll see the inherent weakness of motion-based accelerometers.

How did my cars timer register the same time as the GT2? I hit the button on start and finish myself. Are they both off 10+ seconds? Is that what you are saying?

Quote:
    355Spider said:
    Quote:
    Henjie said:
    Quote:
    355Spider said:

How did my cars timer register the same time as the GT2? I hit the button on start and finish myself. Are they both off 10+ seconds? Is that what you are saying?

Hmmm. So you're saying that you operated your car's timer on your own. Where is this? On the airstrip or on the NHRA track where your Passport GT2 was calibrated? What timer are we talking about? Handheld stopwatch or something else?

And when you say you "hit the button on start and finish" yourself, what does it mean, and where did this happen? 1/4 mile track or the airstrip where you did your 0-180mph run? How sure are you that you hit the stop button exactly at the 1/4 mile line or exactly when you hit 180mph, or even hit the start button at the exact same time forward motion occurred? And how did you know that you're exactly at 180mph? Using your car's speedo? Is a Z06's speedo 100% accurate (most car's aren't so I doubt it). There's too much factors involved, more than enough to get skewed readings.

If you're trying to prove your Passport GT2's accuracy by stating that you got the exact same time from a manually-operated timer, then you prove nothing. I dare say that it even proves your Passport GT2's inaccuracy.

Quote:
    355Spider said:
    Quote:
    MKSGR said:
    Quote:
    355Spider said:

If you are so confident we can put a little wager on it. I'll find a GPS timer somewhere. We'll put $10K a piece in a pay pall account and see who wins. As a matter of fact i'll extend that bet to everyone on this site. Easy money.

If I interpret your posts correctly you will want to do a GPS based test anyhow (even if nobody participates in your bet)

BTW: You might also consider posting a video of the speedo while doing a 60-300 run (like in the youtoube link above)?

Quote:
    MKSGR said:
    Quote:
    355Spider said:
    Quote:
    MKSGR said:
    Quote:
    355Spider said:

If I interpret your posts correctly you will want to do a GPS based test anyhow (even if nobody participates in your bet)

BTW: You might also consider posting a video of the speedo while doing a 60-300 run (like in the youtoube link above)?

Markus, take the bet. The $10.000 will just cover the carbon fiber for the 599 console .

Quote:
    Crash said:
    Quote:
    MKSGR said:
    Quote:
    355Spider said:
    Quote:
    MKSGR said:
    Quote:
    355Spider said:

Markus, take the bet. The $10.000 will just cover the carbon fiber for the 599 console .

Quote:
    MKSGR said:
    Quote:
    355Spider said:
    Quote:
    MKSGR said:
    Quote:
    355Spider said:

To go thru the pain in the but of finding a place to do it and get some GPS equipment plus a few other testers to substantiate it takes alot of work and probably some money which I why the wager stands. My guess is that only an airport has runs long and flat enough to do this and my guess is to rent one for an afternoon is expensive.

For comparison purposes there was a C6 Vette with a supercharger than ran 187 in the mile. Faster than me. There was also a Z06 like mine with a cam and head work than ran 179.

Were these runs done both ways? If not slope and wind make an absolutely huge difference. If you give me the airport and runway number I'll give you the slope, if any.

I agree with you the z06 needs about 4 or 5 seconds from 180 to 186 BUT there is something off with your numbers. There is a youtube clip of a z06 doing 0-190 on an airbase and assuming its speedo is accurate which most likely is not, you can see that the car does 20-180 in about 35 seconds. Either your accelerometer is inaccurate or just maybe your car is making more HP than you think .

Quote:
    brauch said:
    Were these runs done both ways? If not slope and wind make an absolutely huge difference. If you give me the airport and runway number I'll give you the slope, if any.

The airport was outside of Goliad, Texas. I don't know the runway number but I bet I could pick it out from a map. Here's the site for info. Texasmile.com

Quote:
    aah986 said:
    I agree with you the z06 needs about 4 or 5 seconds from 180 to 186 BUT there is something off with your numbers. There is a youtube clip of a z06 doing 0-190 on an airbase and assuming its speedo is accurate which most likely is not, you can see that the car does 20-180 in about 35 seconds. Either your accelerometer is inaccurate or just maybe your car is making more HP than you think .

My car was dynoed at 22hp more than stock. That's about all I can say on that. My accelerometer was within 1mph of the official one they used. Here's quote from their site.

Reliable Timing (www.reliabletiming.com) is providing precise Tag Heuer timing lights hooked to a speed meter.

Here's an interesting video from the event. Another C6Z06 running the mile. He does 0-193 via GPS timer in 29 seconds with the aid of nitrous. He was not going for time though as evidenced by his 0-60 time of 6 seconds and his slow 0-100 time.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=48kr0_7u0Ek

Henjie my speedometer shows 55mph at 1 gear 7000rpm instead of 60mph.;)

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    762358 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    435315 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    260494 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    257544 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    80938 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5321 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

872226 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    807593 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM