Crown

Board: Other Sports Cars Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: SUPERCAR TEST Auto Motor Sport

Quote:
    Crash said:
    Quote:
    355Spider said:
    I did some testing in my Z06 today for the standing mile. This will show how far off these monkeys are on the Z06. Refer to my standing mile thread for details.

Don't be so disrespectful. I would wager that there was a flaw in your testing procedures. If a car does 200-250 km/h in 7 seconds (19 seconds total), there is NO WAY it is going to do the remaining 50 km/h in 8 seconds. Check your test data.

No need to worry. 355spider basically confirmed the AMS test results (without knowing it ). See my other post for details.

Quote:
    Crash said:
    Quote:
    355Spider said:
    I did some testing in my Z06 today for the standing mile. This will show how far off these monkeys are on the Z06. Refer to my standing mile thread for details.

Don't be so disrespectful. I would wager that there was a flaw in your testing procedures. If a car does 200-250 km/h in 7 seconds (19 seconds total), there is NO WAY it is going to do the remaining 50 km/h in 8 seconds. Check your test data.

I don't need to check my data. It was done by official timers that record land speed records so yes it was correct. Denials not pretty.

Quote:
    Walter said:
    Quote:
    Crash said:
    Quote:
    355Spider said:

He probably did his tests on a drag strip.It usually has more grip than a "normal" surface.

It was actually done on an airstrip with terrible traction. My guess is I could have done 0-180 in 26 flat with decent traction.

Quote:
    MKSGR said:
    Quote:
    Crash said:
    Quote:
    355Spider said:

No need to worry. 355spider basically confirmed the AMS test results (without knowing it ). See my other post for details.

You're a long way off in your calculations. See my reply.

Quote:
    355Spider said:
    It was actually done on an airstrip with terrible traction. My guess is I could have done 0-180 in 26 flat with decent traction.

I see but you can't just assume that AMS got bad times ONLY for the Z06.

Quote:
    355Spider said:

I have to disappoint you, the AMS results regarding the Z06 are absolutely correct.
    From 200 to 250 kph, the Z06 is really fast but above that, it falls back again. The 200 to 250 kph range is actually the strong point of the Z06, this has been confirmed in a personal test.

Btw: one of the Z06 drivers over here in Germany sold his car and went for a 997 GT3 instead. Just for your information. Don't ask me why, I don't know but apparently it had to do with track performance and reliability.

Quote:
    RC said:
    Quote:
    355Spider said:

I have to disappoint you, the AMS results regarding the Z06 are absolutely correct.
    From 200 to 250 kph, the Z06 is really fast but above that, it falls back again. The 200 to 250 kph range is actually the strong point of the Z06, this has been confirmed in a personal test.

Btw: one of the Z06 drivers over here in Germany sold his car and went for a 997 GT3 instead. Just for your information. Don't ask me why, I don't know but apparently it had to do with track performance and reliability.

Quote:
    MKSGR said:
    Quote:
    RC said:
    Quote:
    355Spider said:

I think RC should be renamed to Deus Ex Machina .

Quote:
    RC said:

Wow, so you are claiming that 355Spider is a liar when he claims that he can prove that the AMS times are off? Or what is it you are saying?

I also know a few Porsche guys who went from Porsche to the Corvette C6 Z06....so what is your point with the other comment?

I have offered a real life test...so far one member on thsi forum accepted my challange...I PM'ed him my e-mail adress but I still haven't heard from him....just another magazine/internet race?

well considering AMS used a MUCH MUCH more accurate way of measuring times than the passport...perhaps those AMS are indeed the correct ones?

Quote:
    Walter said:

Nope, but if you put the Z06 in 6th gear it will die on ya! I don't know but I have my suspicions that this is what happened during the AMS test....I also think the results for the Porsche 997 tt and the Viper seems to be a little off....but as we don't know anything about the conditions for the AMS test my guess is as good as anyone elses.

Quote:
    Congaman said:
    Quote:
    RC said:

Wow, so you are claiming that 355Spider is a liar when he claims that he can prove that the AMS times are off? Or what is it you are saying?

I also know a few Porsche guys who went from Porsche to the Corvette C6 Z06....so what is your point with the other comment?

I have offered a real life test...so far one member on thsi forum accepted my challange...I PM'ed him my e-mail adress but I still haven't heard from him....just another magazine/internet race?

One of the top-selling European car magazines has just published a professional test. In this test the question whether the Z06 is basically as fast as the 997TT has been answered.

Why request other tests in that situation? You Z06 guys should finally face the truth

Quote:
    Congaman said:
    Quote:
    Walter said:

Nope, but if you put the Z06 in 6th gear it will die on ya! I don't know but I have my suspicions that this is what happened during the AMS test....I also think the results for the Porsche 997 tt and the Viper seems to be a little off....but as we don't know anything about the conditions for the AMS test my guess is as good as anyone elses.

It is getting awkward now... Don't make fools of yourself, Z06 drivers

Quote:
    sdy284 said:
    well considering AMS used a MUCH MUCH more accurate way of measuring times than the passport...perhaps those AMS are indeed the correct ones?

The Z06 has a timer in it which I used on my 3rd run because I knew this excuse would come up. It came up with almost the exact same time. +-.2 seconds. I talked to some of the guys with 100+ passes and asked what they thought. They said to me before I told them my time,"that must have been the most exciting 29 seconds of your life huh?". Aparently most 180mph cars run it in about 27-29 seconds.

Quote:
    Congaman said:
    Quote:
    Walter said:

You own a Z06 so you should know better about the 6th gear "issue". Do you honestly think AMS' sample car will be able to go from 200+kph to 300kph in 6th gear, much less reach the reported Vmax of 315kph? Most of us probably know that the C6 Z06 needs to stay in 5th gear to reach its top speed.

Now, if you can admit that AMS did stay in 5th gear to get to 315kph, why is it so difficult for you to believe that AMS did the same for its 0-300kph run? Pretty simple logic once you take all the paranoia away.

And before anybody thinks that I'm bashing the C6 Z06, I'm not. I'm actually a big fan. I'm not pro-this or anti-that, I'm just in for the facts. It's just funny (and frustrating) how a lot of you will only choose to believe things that will confirm your own beliefs, objective data be d*mned.

Quote:
    Henjie said:
    Quote:
    Congaman said:
    Quote:
    Walter said:

You own a Z06 so you should know better about the 6th gear "issue". Do you honestly think AMS' sample car will be able to go from 200+kph to 300kph in 6th gear, much less reach the reported Vmax of 315kph? Most of us probably know that the C6 Z06 needs to stay in 5th gear to reach its top speed.

Now, if you can admit that AMS did stay in 5th gear to get to 315kph, why is it so difficult for you to believe that AMS did the same for its 0-300kph run? Pretty simple logic once you take all the paranoia away.

And before anybody thinks that I'm bashing the C6 Z06, I'm not. I'm actually a big fan. I'm not pro-this or anti-that, I'm just in for the facts. It's just funny (and frustrating) how a lot of you will only choose to believe things that will confirm your own beliefs, objective data be d*mned.

I was pretty much inline with you before this weekend. I has actually taken my car up to 185 once before and it seemed alot faster than 42 seconds that the AMS test got. But I fugured it was just me not timing it. Now that I drove my car to 180 in 27.9 seconds I believe different. The telling thing about this is there were 3 other Zs out there running the same speeds I was. All ran 175-180 in the mile. All around 28-29 seconds. When the video comes out i'll post the links. I don't know if you'll be able to see the starting and finish line though. A mile is a long way for 1 camera.

Quote:
    355Spider said:
    Quote:
    Henjie said:
    Quote:
    Congaman said:
    Quote:
    Walter said:

I was pretty much inline with you before this weekend. I has actually taken my car up to 185 once before and it seemed alot faster than 42 seconds that the AMS test got. But I fugured it was just me not timing it. Now that I drove my car to 180 in 27.9 seconds I believe different. The telling thing about this is there were 3 other Zs out there running the same speeds I was. All ran 175-180 in the mile. All around 28-29 seconds. When the video comes out i'll post the links. I don't know if you'll be able to see the starting and finish line though. A mile is a long way for 1 camera.

The times you're quoting (27.9s, 28-29s), just how were they measured? GPS (VBOX, DriftBox, etc.) or otherwise (Passport GT2, G-Tech, etc.). The VBOX-type thingies are very accurate AND very consistent, while motion-based accelerometers can often be consistent but inaccurate, and are a PITA to calibrate properly (you change track and the calibration's probably shot).

Quote:
    355Spider said:
    Quote:
    Henjie said:
    Quote:
    Congaman said:
    Quote:
    Walter said:

Sorry, if you argue that the three Z06s of your friends do the same acceleration figures that is further evidence that your measuring equipment is just not adequate or that your test suffers from other substantial flaws (to put it in mild words).

The official test available is done by AMS, one of the leading European car magazines. Also, the published AMS data up to 250kph is among the fastest I have ever seen for any Z06.

Having said that, it is just a bit ridiculous to believe that you and your three friends happen to have Z06s that are much faster than the test car

P.S.: Why don't you just post a video of the speedo when doing a 100-300kph run; that would provide a better basis for the discussion here

Quote:
    MKSGR said:
    Quote:
    355Spider said:
    Quote:
    Henjie said:
    Quote:
    Congaman said:
    Quote:
    Walter said:

Sorry, if you argue that the three Z06s of your friends do the same acceleration figures that is further evidence that your measuring equipment is just not adequate or that your test suffers from other substantial flaws (to put it in mild words).

The official test available is done by AMS, one of the leading European car magazines. Also, the published AMS data up to 250kph is among the fastest I have ever seen for any Z06.

Having said that, it is just a bit ridiculous to believe that you and your three friends happen to have Z06s that are much faster than the test car

P.S.: Why don't you just post a video of the speedo when doing a 100-300kph run; that would provide a better basis for the discussion here

You actually thnk that 2 seperate timers and the official land speed equipment they had onsite were all off? The guys who travel and do this regularly even told me that 180mph cars generally do it just under 30 seconds whichis right where I was.
    I wanted to get an in car video but I wasn't allowed to take a passenger. When I find a way to secure my camera and find another place to go 180+ i'll do that. There was a hi def camera taping my run as well. I have no idea if he could see the start and finish line though. When the video is out i'll post the link. I just got an email and the vids will be up at the end of this week.

Have you thought about the possibility that the AMS test was flawed? I have no reason to misrepresent here. I love all cars and have owned many different marques hence my screen name. When my car has a flaw I point it out directly. The Z06 has many but acceleration in any range is not one. But my guess is that when I post a video that is solid proof you'll have more lame excuses. I mean there is a real possibility that they just had a slow Z06 or the weather conditions did not suit the car. There are alot more factors that go into high speed racing than there are when talking about quarter mile. I learned alot about it this weekend. I had no idea of all the variables these guys take into account. All I know for sure beyond a shadow of a doubt is that my car went 0-180 in 27.9 seconds this weekend. My cars speed matched the official land speed gun they had within 1 mph. My GT2s timers matched my cars timer that I started when I took off and I stopped as I crossed the line. When talking to the guys that ran lots of runs in the past they said all cars running 175-180 were runnning under 30 seconds normally.

Quote:
    355Spider said:
    Have you thought about the possibility that the AMS test was flawed?.

I do not consider this is very likely:

- the test car is among the fastest I have seen (in various magazine tests) with regards to 0-250kph acceleration times; why should it only be slow above 250kph?
    - the video posted on youtube shows how the Z06 accelerates at higher speeds - the Z06 suffers from the poor gearing
    - the test result (41s) is perfectly consistent with a car in the 500hp class; it is simply impossible that the Z06 does 0-300 in the low 30s - would be the first and only car to do so

And one last point: given the relevance of the AMS high-speed test (receives fairly broad recognition over here in Europe) do you really think that GM would accept a test result of 41s if the true number would be more like 35s? No way - they are not stupid.

If you could manage to post a video showing the speedo in the 100kph-320kph range that would be highly appreciated indeed

Quote:
    MKSGR said:
    Quote:
    355Spider said:

- the test car is among the fastest I have seen (in various magazine tests) with regards to 0-250kph acceleration times; why should it only be slow above 250kph?
    - the video posted on youtube shows how the Z06 accelerates at higher speeds - the Z06 suffers from the poor gearing
    - the test result (41s) is perfectly consistent with a car in the 500hp class; it is simply impossible that the Z06 does 0-300 in the low 30s - would be the first and only car to do so

And one last point: given the relevance of the AMS high-speed test (receives fairly broad recognition over here in Europe) do you really think that GM would accept a test result of 41s if the true number would be more like 35s? No way - they are not stupid.

If you could manage to post a video showing the speedo in the 100kph-320kph range that would be highly appreciated indeed

Find me a place to do it and I would be happy to. Risking my life out on the streets is just stupid. After seeing cars and bikes go past at 180 I now know why you shouldn't speed out on the road. I wish I had a plce that I could do it legally. I would need about a mile and a quarter with another quarter for slowing down.
    I have one fairly poorly shot video my wife made on my 178mph pass that shows me from the start line to the 3/4 mile mark and that all takes place in 23 seconds. The hi def videos will be up by the end of the week.

Quote:
    355Spider said:
    Quote:
    MKSGR said:
    Quote:
    355Spider said:

Find me a place to do it and I would be happy to. Risking my life out on the streets is just stupid. After seeing cars and bikes go past at 180 I now know why you shouldn't speed out on the road. I wish I had a plce that I could do it legally. I would need about a mile and a quarter with another quarter for slowing down.
    I have one fairly poorly shot video my wife made on my 178mph pass that shows me from the start line to the 3/4 mile mark and that all takes place in 23 seconds. The hi def videos will be up by the end of the week.

Hmmm. I have seen movies about those salt lakes you have in the US... An ideal setting for high-speed runs Just kidding

Don't worry, maybe you will find an opportunity to do a video without any risk involved at some point in the future. If not, no problem either. Lack of opportunity to test those modern car's capabilities demonstrates how fast these cars have become

Quote:
    MKSGR said:
    Quote:
    355Spider said:
    Quote:
    MKSGR said:
    Quote:
    355Spider said:

Hmmm. I have seen movies about those salt lakes you have in the US... An ideal setting for high-speed runs Just kidding

Don't worry, maybe you will find an opportunity to do a video without any risk involved at some point in the future. If not, no problem either. Lack of opportunity to test those modern car's capabilities demonstrates how fast these cars have become

I'd love to go out to the Salt Lakes and do some 200mph runs. That would be very cool.

Quote:
    RC said:
    Quote:
    svtrader1 said:
    Wow! The 599 is fast. It seems to get faster with each test. Too bad they didn't do a top speed test.

1. I've been told tonight by one of our sources that there has been a typo and that the SLR numbers have been mixed up with the 599 numbers, with the exception of the top speed.
    Since this hasn't been confirmed yet by AMS, we should wait until we know for sure.

2. Ferrari accompanied the 599 with a factory maintentance team to this test...sounds a little bit odd to me.

Nethertheless, the test results of the tested cars are pretty impressive, maybe with the exception of the Aston Martin Vantage which in my opinion disappointed.

The 997 Turbo performed like I expected...close to 40 seconds, pretty good compared to the old 996 Turbo.
    Add 70 horses to the 997 Turbo and you'll end up with a 0-300 kph time close to 30 seconds.

Not sure whether this is a repost, but I just watched the video of this test at:http://www.metacafe.com/watch/283368/auto_motor_und_sport_high_speed_test_2006/ ,posted elsewhere on this forum.

It appears that only the MB SLR 0-300kmh figure was incorrect - it should have read 32.4 seconds.

All other figures match the ones posted in their video.

mp: nice find! Thanks for the video link!

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    781802 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    442805 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    263471 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    261875 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    85965 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5990 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

881640 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    819560 3868
    Porsche GT4RS 4/21/24 11:50 AM