Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

UK depreciation and other 997 update news from my OPC

OK, just spoke to my OPC. They suggested that the depreciation looks like this on a 997:

Year 1: 15-17% drop from new
    Year 2: 10% drop on year 1
    Year 3: 5% drop on year 2
    ...and then levels off further.

Apparently if you trade-in your 997 for another car though you will get a better deal.

The extended warrantee (2 years after first registration) is Pounds725 per year (including VAT and Roadside assistance) and you need to get the car checked for a 111 point inspection before the warrantee period expires otherwise they charge you for the check.

Other information I gleamed included:

• 997 facelift will not happen until sometime in 2008 and will probably only include changes in lights/bumpers/PDK

• They have no indication on when PDK will be released specifically on the 997 Turbo, but they will be informed 6 months prior to its release so that they can warn new customers when ordering

• LSD on the new Turbo is probably a waste of money unless you will track the car a lot given it doesn't need any extra help with traction as standard. Generally LSD on a 4 wheel drive 997 is not necessary on public roads.

• 997 Turbo cab will be out first quarter next year and will be about another 9k over the price of the coupe model

• 998 won't be out for a LONG time yet. The 996 was around for about 10 years so the 997 will probably follow suit.

• Re: UK depreciation and other 997 update news from my OPC

That works out at a worst case residual value of nearly 71% after three years. With a C2S scheduled for delivery in a few weeks time I would really like to believe this and while it reflects the actual residual value (3 years, 36000 miles) history of the 996 I think it may be optimistic for the increased sales volumes of the 997. I would caution against using these numbers for financing calculations. But here's hoping I'm wrong.

Re: UK depreciation and other 997 update news from my OPC

For Finance, the OPC's quote 50% residual after 3 years and 45% after 4 Years. I managed to get them to agree to 50% after 4 years in the end.

and i think that is nearer what you will get as a trade in price - lots of talk on PCGB forum about 12 month old cars losing Pounds10-15k which is more like 20-25% of list price

Hey guys, old topic I know but still very relevant!

I'm looking at trade-in prices for my C2S Cab for a new Turbo and I just got a rough quote from my local OPC for Pounds68k with 12k miles on the clock. The car new would cost Pounds85k so affectively it's lost Pounds17k in 12k miles!!

I also looked up what OPCs are selling equiv cars for and here's an example of a C2S cab with 13k miles on the clock (and less options as mine) listed at Pounds76k:

http://ucl.porsche.de/ucl/plsql/uk/clien...=3&caller_=

So are they actually putting more than Pounds8k mark-up on my car here? Ouch!

That would mean trading in today a new Turbo would cost me over Pounds40k. I don't know about you guys but I wouldn't say that a Turbo is worth Pounds40k more than a fully optioned C2S Cab with a years worth of mileage on the clock.

Any suggestions?

I know this situation very well as I have just lived it myself. Any time a car is traded in you take a bath on the depreciation, especially in the first year.

The bottom line is that I am living with my current stable of cars for the time being. Maybe in year three it wont't look as bad.

My suggestion is to live with what you have until the Tubro 'S" comes out and then re-evaluate.

What is a PDK?

Quote:
    TheOldMan said:
    My suggestion is to live with what you have until the Tubro 'S" comes out and then re-evaluate.

Good suggestion. Anyone know when the Turbo+Powerkit and the TurboS will be released and what their respective power outputs will be?

Quote:
    Flash said:
    What is a PDK?

Porsche's equiv. to Audi/VW's DSG gearbox, which apprently is going to be introduced into lower Porsche models before the Turbo/GT2 due to current development issues in handling that much power.

I have been talking to my OPC in relation to my 2004 GT3.
    They have offered me about 60 per cent of its original value after just over 2.5 years and 17000 miles.
    The days of low depreciation on Porsches are gone.But the 997 GT3 looks so good compared to my 996.
    Shane

Yes, the days of ultra low depreciation on a Porsche are long gone - they build too many for them to be exclusive anymore. But the figure is still much lower than if you were buying something like a Maserati - that really would make your eyes water!

Only option is to sell in the Sunday Times. OPC offered Pounds60k for my 12 month 9600 mile C2S. New value Pounds74K - sold in Sunday times for Pounds65k, still hurt but better than OPC.

I really feel we do get a raw deal from the OPC dealers, 8K mark up, thats robbery.

Quote:
    Ian C said:
    Yes, the days of ultra low depreciation on a Porsche are long gone - they build too many for them to be exclusive anymore. But the figure is still much lower than if you were buying something like a Maserati - that really would make your eyes water!

Yes mate I have a Maserati 4200. I bought it when it was 4 months old with 4000 on the clock. Pounds65000 car I paid Pounds49000 from a Maserati main dealer.

My 997 is now 12 months old Pounds68000 new. I was offered Pounds62000 for it last week against a reasonably priced M5 from a BMW main dealer. Not bad to loose Pounds6000 in a year!

I went and spoke with an OPC Sales guy today and he said that there are really only 2 options on a 997 that are key for resale: PCM Nav + Bose.

Everything else doesn't really add much value to the car when it comes to resale. Which is why my Pounds85k new 997 is now Pounds68k after 12k miles. Retrofitting PSE and Sports Shifter really added nothing to the car's value.

He did say that after Porsche cycled the car for selling again they would probably price it at Pounds76k. So Pounds8k, minus the prep work for getting it ready for resale, is their profit!

OPCs seem to commonly work on a circa Pounds10k bid/offer spread, thats how they afford the huge glass showrooms!

A few months ago, a friend of mine got offered Pounds41k for a warrantied nice spec silver '02 GT2 Clubsport as p/ex against a GT3RS, then sold it privately for Pounds56k instead after telling the dealer a few choice words. It would have been marked in the dealer over Pounds60k.

Quote:
    stone said:
    Only option is to sell in the Sunday Times. OPC offered Pounds60k for my 12 month 9600 mile C2S. New value Pounds74K - sold in Sunday times for Pounds65k, still hurt but better than OPC.

I really feel we do get a raw deal from the OPC dealers, 8K mark up, thats robbery.

the supposed 8k margin is far from it - they have to pay for a warranty Pounds800 assuming its less than 365 days old, and the car has to be prepped and inspected to meet the used car programme - virtually every car has to have the front bumper resprayed (no stone chips allowed), and most have at least one other panel painted too (i've seen 6 month old ex Porsche GB cars having 5 panels resprayed). Tyres have to be at least 50% of new too, and on a 12k mile trade in that is far from likely.

I too feel aggrieved by this mark-up - those of us who cherish their cars get nothing more for our chip and scratch free cars than those that are chipped and ragged to death, half the time the used car buyers don't even go and look at the trade in, just assunme everythign needs doing

Just dropped my car off for it's first (2yr) service at PCEL. UK extended warranty went up to Pounds895 on Nov 1st

They also quoted me Pounds500 for the PCM firmware upgrade (MP3 and traffic news) with a new Nav DVD. I decided to pass on that.

They're also pushing brake fluid replacement every two years, for Pounds115. Apparently it's not part of the service.

Gaz

Quote:
    Alex (UK) said:

• 997 facelift will not happen until sometime in 2008 and will probably only include changes in lights/bumpers/PDK

• Thanks Alex, does that mean that the Carrera 4/4S will not get the new PTM 4wd from the Turbo?

Quote:
    Gaz said:
    Just dropped my car off for it's first (2yr) service at PCEL. UK extended warranty went up to Pounds895 on Nov 1st

They also quoted me Pounds500 for the PCM firmware upgrade (MP3 and traffic news) with a new Nav DVD. I decided to pass on that.

They're also pushing brake fluid replacement every two years, for Pounds115. Apparently it's not part of the service.

Gaz

Ah I think you could have got the PCM upgrade for free before your 2 yr warrantee ran out. I don't think the extended warrantee covers PCM at all.

The Pounds500 is really just for 2005 Nav DVD (I don't think they have brought out a new 2006 one yet). So yes, you were probably right to pass on this as you would have been paying for a DVD which is already out of date.

I made sure I got both the PCM upgrade and 2005 DVD last Nov when I bought my (July 05) car. My 2005 Nav map has lots of road changes missing!

Quote:
    temm said:
    Quote:
    Alex (UK) said:

• Thanks Alex, does that mean that the Carrera 4/4S will not get the new PTM 4wd from the Turbo?

No I think it probably will from rumours I have heard.

Quote:
    Alex (UK) said:
    My 2005 Nav map has lots of road changes missing!

Even minor roads such as the M6 toll!!

I don't think they do the firmware under warranty. I'm still within the 2 years (for another 14 days), and they didn't offer it to me as a warranty repair this morning.

One thing is for certain however, the extended warranty does not cover PCM at all. Or shocks. Or brakes. I did check about the RMS however, and apparently that is covered.

To be honest, I think I'm going to hold onto this car until the facelift and get the latest spec then.

Gaz

Had mine serviced today, cost Pounds515 with brake fluid change. Also told that rms needs replacing as it was damp they said. Should I be worried that it will be changed? Quite a few cars with rms problem they told me.

Pounds515 - exactly the same as mine. Car is running great now.

It also transpires that I need the exhaust tailpipes replacing - part of the recall from ages back. I don't understand why they didn't contact me then. The dealer reckoned it was Porsche UK's job to do that, but either way I've been driving round for the last two years with a defective exhaust. Hopefully they'll get the parts in next week.

RMS is an issue - the amount of traffic on this board over the past few years is testament to this. I guess we'd all hoped that the 3.8 litre engine would be an improvement compared to the older 3.6 litre unit, but if you're seeing trouble then perhaps that isn't true.

If there is a problem with your RMS then I'd be inclined to see what they can do before your warranty expires (assuming it hasn't already).

Gaz

Quote:
    CHAN8 said:
    ... Also told that rms needs replacing as it was damp they said. Should I be worried that it will be changed? Quite a few cars with rms problem they told me.

Unforgivable, PORSCHE!!!! Enough already!

I'm sorry but $$ billions in profit and PAG keeps churning out the same defective design expecting different results? They've known about this for NINE YEARS . What am I missing here? Is it some type of cynical, planned obsolescence, using anxiety to compel us to trade-in our cars for a new one just prior to warranty expiration?

I feel especially sympathetic for our UK/EU owners with only 2-year warranties.

Quote:
    Damian said:
    Quote:
    CHAN8 said:
    ... Also told that rms needs replacing as it was damp they said. Should I be worried that it will be changed? Quite a few cars with rms problem they told me.

Unforgivable, PORSCHE!!!! Enough already!

I'm sorry but $$ billions in profit and PAG keeps churning out the same defective design expecting different results? They've known about this for NINE YEARS . What am I missing here? Is it some type of cynical, planned obsolescence, using anxiety to compel us to trade-in our cars for a new one just prior to warranty expiration?

I feel especially sympathetic for our UK/EU owners with only 2-year warranties.

I couln't agree more.

Once replaced do you think the problem will occur again? Heard stories of people who have had 2 or 3 rms problems. Also it is being replaced under warranty.

Gaz, why dont you see if they can put PSE on instead with a little charge. You never know could be your lucky day.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    688147 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    408528 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255471 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    234690 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65322 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4632 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

857433 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    773107 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM