Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: Wave, no wave, dumb to wave, mean to not return waves?

Etiquite says that unless you are on a motorcycle or a boat, waving should not be done, unless you are in distress.

Porsche drivers should nod to one another in appreciation to the glorious beauty that has been shared with one another through the viewing of each others car.

Quote:
    JMShrink said:
    Quote:
    Vincenzina said:
    Corvettes just dont intimidate me!!!
    I know Porsches rule!!!

What a gal!!

OK, JM, I am with you on this, last year I was stupid enough to race a corvette on the freeway, a copper zig zagged on his motorbike to catch me to give me a ticket. I tested his driving skills, boy was he mad!! Now I bok at corvettes even more!!!

Quote:
    Vincenzina said:
    Quote:
    JMShrink said:
    Quote:
    Vincenzina said:
    I know Porsches rule!!!

What a gal!!

OK, JM, I am with you on this, last year I was stupid enough to race a corvette on the freeway, a copper zig zagged on his motorbike to catch me to give me a ticket. I tested his driving skills, boy was he mad!! Now I bok at corvettes even more!!!

Vikki - What does 'bok at' mean?

I'd like to do it, but don't know which part of my anatomy it involves!!

The only time I, as a jaded, cynical, suspicious Londoner, ever make any form of gesture of appreciation towards any other road user is when I am stationary in my car at a traffic light or other junction and I see a particularly nice motorbike.

I then give them the thumbs up sign while making an approving nod of the head gesture. They always acknowledge in a kind of 4 wheels & 2 wheels mutual respect kind of way.

Quote:
    John H said:
    Quote:
    Vincenzina said:
    Quote:
    JMShrink said:
    Quote:
    Vincenzina said:
    I know Porsches rule!!!

What a gal!!

Vikki - What does 'bok at' mean?

I'd like to do it, but don't know which part of my anatomy it involves!!

Hi John......its not apart of the anatomy ...silly
    Bok = it means to boycott something, or ignore it, like it doesnt matter, to scuff at something...I bok when I see corvettes, funny word huh?

My sister has a Corvette, she used to think her car was HOT, especially when I had my Boxster, but when the 997 arrived....she has been quiet ever since. She knows who RULES NOW...997 Porsche 4 ever!!!

Vikki, sorry about the ticket but oh boy...what a story that had to be!

Quote:
    atomic80 said:
    Vikki, sorry about the ticket but oh boy...what a story that had to be!

I got burned and the corvette drove off, took the copper a few minutes to catch me. I tried all my girly tactics, but ended up doing traffic school, he clocked me at 90MPH. Corvettes are the enemy, I know I can beat them, ok, so I am laughing, but its worth the effort of petal to metal!!!. A cop on a bike is at a clear disadvantage. LooL...

Quote:
    MMD said:
    More from the outline of _The Ethics of Waving 101_.

So I'm driving my M3 yesterday, the day before I spend the whole day in the 997s. So, coming my way is a 997 and I'm happy to see another Porsche and I wave slightly vigorously, not realizing I'm driving my BMW!!! (kinda sstupid I know).

BTW, I would NOT have waved to him had I realized I was NOT driving my Porsche.

Anyway the guy in the 997 stares and "refuses" to wave back.

Now that's not very nice! A Porsche 911 driver "refusing" to wave to a really cool looking BMW late model M3! WTF?

This is an issue for me (verrry small issue) especially because I "return wave" any "hot" car with a car guy driver that waves to me in the Carrera (Corvettes notwithstanding, every non-GM-type car guy loooooves the Porsches).

Oh, the situation was very obvious, several other cars, two lane straight road 25-30 mph, grasses and brush on each side, slow "boring" stretch of pavement.

Just reporting my most recent Porsche quandry.

I suppose it all just depends on what kind of person you are. When I owned my M3, I would get many waves, high beams flashed at me, and so forth from fellow BMW drivers. At times I would get it from other cars, but very rarely from Porsche owners. Most of the owners that I encountered on the road tried to race me (and I am not about driving recklessly through the conjested streets of Miami). Eitherway, I now own a Porsche and I get waves from Porsche owners...lol. I suppose it has to do with what make you drive, it's as if there is this segregation between vehicles, and the very thought of one brand saluting another is considered Taboo! I try to wave or flash my beams back at anyone who wants to salute me. I dont care what you drive...to me, a car enthusiest is a car enthusies. Juts my two cents.

Ray

Quote:
    Vincenzina said:
    My sister has a Corvette, she used to think her car was HOT, especially when I had my Boxster, but when the 997 arrived....she has been quiet ever since. She knows who RULES NOW...997 Porsche 4 ever!!!

Well Vikki I must say that you're certainly winning this sibling rivalry.

Recently rode up beside a spotless red 911 (I mean a real Type 911) and couldn't help giving the driver a big grin and thumbs up. He reciprocated with both.

I never seem to get a response from Boxsters or 993s.

Quote:
    Dan L said:
    I never seem to get a response from Boxsters or 993s.

Odd. This reminds me of a letter, which I believe was printed several years ago in "911 & Porsche World". The author of the letter describes, in painstaking detail, rules and regulations for the initiation and reciprocation of waves in the hierarchy of motor vehicles. Rest assured this was all in a tongue-in-cheek fashion.

My memory fails to recall the exact detail of the rules, however they were of the style: "No driver of a vehicle may initiate a wave with another vehicle greater than one class above his own", or perhaps "It is expected that a driver will not initiate waves with vehicles greater than two classes below his own".

In particular I remember the stern warning that "passengers are forbidden to partake in the process of waving to other vehicles".

The letter also suggested a class system, in which newer water-cooled 911s were placed in class one, with Turbo models receiving higher precedence over "lower" vehicles, such as the Carrera. The letter was most entertaining at the time, and stands out in my mind even after the three or four years since it was printed.

I'm sure we could all have a good laugh here if anybody happened to have a copy of the magazine handy to scan!

Sadly, some people really believe that stuff.

Quote:
    easy_rider911 said:
    All wonderful stuff but here in London, we're all so jaded, cynical and suspicious of everyone else that, if someone waved to us 'for no obvious reason', we'd just think there was something wrong with them! Sad but true...

And depending on which part of London you live/drive through,you could be waving every 30 seconds!

Quote:
    Dan L said:
    Sadly, some people really believe that stuff.

They study Baboons, Chimps, Gorillas, Native New Guineans, Midwestern USA school teachers and Wall Street traders.

They all believe this stuff.

I gotta tell ya whenever a Turbo 997 rolls by I kick myself for not owning one (gonna change that).

When you see a stranger go by and all you know about him is that he's driving a yellow non-S Boxster, pretty much the same gears start whirring in everybody's head.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    688164 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    408540 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255472 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    234692 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65327 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4632 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

857443 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    773124 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM