Crown

Board: Porsche Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Carrera GT vs. F430 Spider Dilemma!!?? Help....

While I'm waiting for the 997TTcab to get released I've had lots of "free time" researching some other makes/models. It looks like re-sale of a Carrera GT is close to the "market value" of the F430 Spider. If all things were equal and you only had room for one supercar in your garage that you drove once a week which would you choose?

Re: Carrera GT vs. F430 Spider Dilemma!!?? Help....

Carrera GT NO doubt!!!

Re: Carrera GT vs. F430 Spider Dilemma!!?? Help...

It all has to do with supply and demand. The artificially-induced F430 supply restriction is inflating the price beyond reason. Porsche over-supplied the GT, hence, the car fell considerably below MSRP.

The GT is in a different class altogether. The F430 is not worth anything above MSRP, IMHO.

C-A-R-E-R-R-A

G-T

CGT!

i could be asleep and still make that decision

CGT....Price is twice the of the F430 over here---

But if i were to choose between a CGT and an SLR.... I would pick the SLR

Quote:
    997turbocab said:
    While I'm waiting for the 997TTcab to get released I've had lots of "free time" researching some other makes/models. It looks like re-sale of a Carrera GT is close to the "market value" of the F430 Spider. If all things were equal and you only had room for one supercar in your garage that you drove once a week which would you choose?

I own a 430 Spider and have driven the CGT several times. If it is perf. your after CGT beats most if not all cars. But it has its downside. Low front end, few stability devices, high cost maintenance, jarring ride, quirky clutch and huge depreciation. Also there is literally no storage room. I read recently where a CGT wanted to drive his CGT for an overnight stay with his wife and he had to have another car follow him with the luggage.

The 430 in my view is much more fun to drive and has good luggage space.. It does not have the acceleration of the CGT but it has manageable power which can be exploited by pretty good drivers. I always felt the CGT was too much car especially for me and I suspect most people. Make a mistake with the CGT your probably dead or seriously injured. The 430 has progressive stability safety devices depending on how you want to drive the car. The 430 will retain its value.

The CGT is hard to drive fast but if your able to do so there is no other car on the planet which will reward you like the CGT. The 430 is easy to drive fast especially with F1 and is rewarding despite the lack the challenge compared to the CGT.

Quote:
    nberry said:
    quirky clutch

i think mike (w8mm) has explained this over and over again...

Quote:
    sdy284 said:
    Quote:
    nberry said:
    quirky clutch

i think mike (w8mm) has explained this over and over again...

Explaining the reason for the quirkiness does not make it any less quirky. I will acknowledge that it is something one needs to get used to. Once there is a comfort level then it no longer is a problem except in isolated instances.

Nick is correct on all points. Don't let the dreamers steer you in the wrong direction.

Please..., two different leagues...no possible comparisongggggggggggggttttttttttttt..............

Quote:
    nberry said:
    Quote:
    997turbocab said:

I own a 430 Spider and have driven the CGT several times. If it is perf. your after CGT beats most if not all cars. But it has its downside. Low front end, few stability devices, high cost maintenance, jarring ride, quirky clutch and huge depreciation. Also there is literally no storage room. I read recently where a CGT wanted to drive his CGT for an overnight stay with his wife and he had to have another car follow him with the luggage.

The 430 in my view is much more fun to drive and has good luggage space.. It does not have the acceleration of the CGT but it has manageable power which can be exploited by pretty good drivers. I always felt the CGT was too much car especially for me and I suspect most people. Make a mistake with the CGT your probably dead or seriously injured. The 430 has progressive stability safety devices depending on how you want to drive the car. The 430 will retain its value.

The CGT is hard to drive fast but if your able to do so there is no other car on the planet which will reward you like the CGT. The 430 is easy to drive fast especially with F1 and is rewarding despite the lack the challenge compared to the CGT.

Give the guy a break. It was one of the most objective reviews I've seen in a while.

Quote:
    nberry said:
    The 430 will retain its value.

Only if you pay MSRP, what kind of depreciation you think you will get if you pay $300k for the 430 spider?

There's no comparison. The F430 Spyder is IMHO the worst looking $200k convertible car on the market. Consider these styling faults, and yes I've seen one in person:

1) ugly, hideous, front bumper.
    2) weird, after-market looking humps.
    3) cheap looking roll bars (not appropriate for a $200k convertible).
    4) rice, tacky, clear engine cover with "Godzilla" vents along the sides.
    5) rear diffuser looks after-market and not well integrated.

If you want to know what a $200k convertible should look like take a look at the Bently GTC and Lambo Gallardo Spyder. No weird humps or cheap roll bars. EVO in the September issue says the Gallardo Spyder is better than the F430 Spyder due to the F430 Spyder's styling deficients. It's a shame Ferrari is spitting on their customers' faces with these inferior looking cars because they know they can get away with it due to producing low volume. Ferrari won't last long if they continue to take advantage of their customers. Customers will soon stop buying such vulgar (EVO's words, not mine) cars as the F430 Spyder once other options (R8, new Esprit, etc) become more available.

Please consider the Gallardo Spyder instead of the F430 Spyder.

David

Quote:
    DavidSF said:
    There's no comparison. The F430 Spyder is IMHO the worst looking $200k convertible car on the market. Consider these styling faults, and yes I've seen one in person:

If you want to know what a $200k convertible should look like take a look at the Bently GTC and Lambo Gallardo Spyder. No weird humps or cheap roll bars. EVO in the September issue says the Gallardo Spyder is better than the F430 Spyder due to the F430 Spyder's styling deficients. It's a shame Ferrari is spitting on their customers' faces with these inferior looking cars because they know they can get away with it due to producing low volume. Ferrari won't last long if they continue to take advantage of their customers. Customers will soon stop buying such vulgar (EVO's words, not mine) cars as the F430 Spyder once other options (R8, new Esprit, etc) become more available.

David

david with all honesty your opinion is not shared by many. The f430 spider is one of the nicest if not the nicest convertible on the market. Wherever i seem to park my car wether it be beside an slr cgt gallardo spider and murci roadster the f430 got most of the attention. Reason being many people seem to love its look

I would have a hard time picking one or the other.IMHO the Gallardo and Ferrari Spyders are two of the sexiest cars on the planet. However, I may not have the popular opinion, but I believe that the 997tt is equally sexy.

Once you start letting a cars looks and attention factors be a major factor when buying sportscars, you are no,longer sports car enthusiasts...you are then buying the car for posing. Sorry but it's true. (No offence)

997turbocab if you are a competant driver and want the 'better' car, go for the Carrera GT. Like Nick said, if you are average or below ave, go for the Ferrari....It's easier to drive fast and more practical.
    If I where you btw I'd go Porsche No doubt

Quote:
    devo said:
    I believe that the 997tt is equally sexy.

So true

Quote:
    BC911J said:
    Quote:
    devo said:
    I believe that the 997tt is equally sexy.

So true

While I agree that the 997 turbo is equally cool looking when comapared to Gallardo, 430, I would not use the word sexy. I think the turbo looks more menacing and dare I say Bad @ss, especially in black. That coupled with its performance is why I would choose it over the other two. Back to the subject at hand, CGT CGT CGT CGT CGT CGT!

Quote:
    LB said:
    Quote:
    DavidSF said:

David

david with all honesty your opinion is not shared by many. The f430 spider is one of the nicest if not the nicest convertible on the market. Wherever i seem to park my car wether it be beside an slr cgt gallardo spider and murci roadster the f430 got most of the attention. Reason being many people seem to love its look

I believe it. But it gets all the attention for the wrong reasons. It's just like a gold, diamond encrusted, Rolex watch is going to get more attention than a platinum Patek Calatrava watch. The F430 Spyder is a vulgar car. That's exactly what EVO magazine said in the September issue. That's why it gets all the attention. Just like a souped up rice Honda Civic with a custom paint job. Yuck. It too gets a lot of attention. But again for the wrong reasons. EVO magazine says the Gallardo Spyder looks better, the F430 Spyder is vulgar, and I agree 100%.

I challenge anyone to name a worse looking $200k convertible than the F430 Spyder.

David

Quote:
    nberry said:
    But it has its downside. Low front end, few stability devices, high cost maintenance, jarring ride, quirky clutch and huge depreciation. Also there is literally no storage room.

I agree and disagree on some of your points. It does have a super low front end, which you need to be very careful of. If your not a bonehead and don't destroy the clutch, I'm not sure that the maintenance cost is more than the Ferrari. I don't consider the ride jarring at all. The clutch is different but easy to figure out. Let it fully engage before you apply power. The car starts in first with no throttle applied, the computer supplies adequate power when it needs to in order to start rolling. As far as huge depreciation, that already happened to the first buyers and dealers who didn't find one quickly. At today's GT prices, you're at much greater risk of depreciation paying over sticker for a 430 spider. I agree there is literally no storage room, and if that is something your worried about you need to consider that. It does have traction control, which is more than my GT2 has, but fewer safety devices than the Ferrari. Not withstanding price, if you're the type of buyer that prefers a turbo to the GT2, the carrera gt is not for you. If you feel the Ferrari CS and the GT3/GT2 are raw, you going to feel like the carrera gt is on another planet.

Quote:
    nberry said:
    Quote:
    997turbocab said:

Nick, I didn't think it was possible, but you have sunk to a new low making a thinly veiled reference to Ben's tragic death to prove your point.

David

Quote:
    BC911J said:
    Once you start letting a cars looks and attention factors be a major factor when buying sportscars, you are no,longer sports car enthusiasts...you are then buying the car for posing. Sorry but it's true. (No offence)

997turbocab if you are a competant driver and want the 'better' car, go for the Carrera GT. Like Nick said, if you are average or below ave, go for the Ferrari....It's easier to drive fast and more practical.
    If I where you btw I'd go Porsche No doubt

I disagree. Aesthetics are definitely a major factor in a decision for buying a sports car. I know of plenty of stripped out "ugly" American cars that will walk all over any stock 997.

All of these afformentioned cars (F430, Turbo, CGT, Gallardo etc) are not purely performance based vehicles. Even the most raw (The CGT) has a pretty lush interior. Get inside a GT3 Cup or RSR then you'll feel what "rough" and "bumpy" is.

------
    With that being said, as a general rule of thumb, I think for the informed sports car buyer, the feeling derived by driving the car is all that matters when he or she decides to purchase a car.

This can be facilitated by sheer performance, aesthetics, sound, comfort, attention etc...

It should be based upon one's personality.

With that being said, to chime in on my humble opinion, I think the Carrera GT is a car that transcends many of the conventional notions of a car, in that we categorize it as the same machine as almost 99% of the vehicles out there (including many "sports cars").

It is unadulterated and brutish, yet rewardingly generous. I had a chance to ride in one. The only car that moved me in the same manner was the F40 I was blessed to lap in about 3 years ago. The Carrera GT is my dream car because its the type of car you apparently can put all of "yourself" into and it will keep rewarding you with nuances and performance beyond your wildest immagination.

With that being said, I would take the F430 for cruising around town, going to clubs and picking up chicks and hitting up the yacht club with. But none of those activities would match the personal satisfaction I would derive from growing as a driver with a machine of such magnanimous proportions.

I think its the pinnacle of the true driving experience.

It fits with my notion that any F1,SMG,DSG ABC system is not for me.
    It fits with my notion that ESP/DSC/Yaw Control are not for me when the weather is fine
    It fits with my notion that one can only garner satisfaction in any craft by developing one's own skills

And the Carrera GT is the greatest master of them all

997turbocab ,

From a driver's point of view:

You mentioned having room for only one supercar in your garage. The Carrera GT is a supercar, the F430 is not. It's not so easy to put it in words so I suggest that you drive a F430 and then drive the Carrera GT. That's it, very simple. CGT hands down.

I had the chance of "having" the F430 for a few days (F1 trans.) and I have driven the CGT extensively. There's absolutely NO comparison.

Hurst said:
    Quote:
    I disagree. Aesthetics are definitely a major factor in a decision for buying a sports car. I know of plenty of stripped out "ugly" American cars that will walk all over any stock 997.

Of course aesthetics are important
    What I meant was how other people see your car and how it attracts other peoples admiration and all that jazz.

Quote:
    BC911J said:
    Hurst said:
    Quote:

Of course aesthetics are important
    What I meant was how other people see your car and how it attracts other peoples admiration and all that jazz.

Let's put the argument this way: Ferrari owners always put forth their cars' exclusivity. With only 1271 CGTs made, they are much more exclusive than the F430, so get the CGT.

David SF - I agree that the F430 is somewhat vulgar looking,
    but it certainly sounds nice.

Quote:
    997turbocab said:

I know somebody who is actually selling his F430 Spider to be able to get a Carrera GT.

The decision hasn't been easy: the Carrera GT is pretty expensive, not only regarding the price tag but also regarding possible repairs/maintenance. On the other hand, prices in the US have dropped a lot and you can get slightly used Carrera GT with low mileage for pretty low money (compared to the price tag of a new car).

There is only one thing which concerns me regarding getting a Carrera GT: the lack of PSM/ESP. I had the chance to drive my 997 Turbo on a driving safety training area in my region last Saturday. Being the only car on the track for almost half an hour (I was able to sneak in half an hour before the "public" was granted access because one of my customers made it possible since he wanted to "experience" the 997 Turbo live inside the car), I had the chance to do some crazy stuff with PSM turned off and Sport Chrono turned on. All I can say is that the 997 Turbo is very difficult to control at the limit with PSM turned off, the oversteer is unbelievable for a 4WD car. I can imagine how "bad" it has to be in the Carrera GT without 4WD, with more power and less weight.

The Carrera GT is no "showcar", whoever is thinking about getting one should think about it very very well. This is a car of which I can say for sure that it does NOT make the driver faster, on the contrary, it slows down any less than "good" driver since it requires a lot of driving skills to move it almost at the limit. Walter Röhrl didn't crash one without a reason.

So if you're asking yourself whether to get a F430 Spider or a Carrera GT, I can tell you 100% for sure: the Carrera GT is the wrong car for you.

Quote:
    RC said:

The Carrera GT is no "showcar", whoever is thinking about getting one should think about it very very well. This is a car of which I can say for sure that it does NOT make the driver faster, on the contrary, it slows down any less than "good" driver since it requires a lot of driving skills to move it almost at the limit. Walter Röhrl didn't crash one without a reason.

Absolutely, the Carrera GT is a dangerous car. With ESP I would have considered it very seriously. Without ESP I will never own one... Same problem as with the GT2.

I cant believe the 997 oversteers so much! the 996 didnt, I dont believe, RC, is this a trait designed in to make it feel more like a RWD car; or....why would they do this?

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    780584 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    442492 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    263291 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    261603 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    85751 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5899 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

881334 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    818627 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM