Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 991 - Turbo Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: OFFICIAL: New 991.2 Turbo S Exclusive Series (2017)

TB993tt:
    Whoopsy:

The is a clearly stated limited model, 500 cars, which is like 1/3 to 1/4 of the GT2RS production run and much cheaper too, yet no one is complaining about it being hard to get like the GT2RS.

Weird isn't it?

This runout limited ed Turbo S is not special from a drivers perspective it will surely drive exactly the same as a normal Turbo S with a slightly more urgent last thousand rpm. The GT2RS is a car for drivers and with the extreme nannies and auto box there are a lot more "drivers" who can enjoy it. I find this quite encouraging as it indicates that not everyone is interested in just the car's profit potential.

Another point is that both cars pretty much comes out at the same time. While most VIPs can afford to get both, a few can't for various reasons, like money or garage space. The GT2RS is the default choice if one has to only pick one. 

--

Well I know a few people whom are not happy they could not get a Turbo S Exlcusive Series, one of them was me! (haha). Specially since a friend of mine got one and his son too. But after seeing the car at the IAA I have come to realize that this is a real collector car and not a driver car. The details of this car are extremely nice and very fragile. The hood with carbon and paint unbelievable how they have done this. The rims must cost a fortune if you damage them. Of the 3 people I know how will get one none of them will really drive the car. So I rather stick to cars I use and drive

Who actually considers the Turbo S limited edition? It's a paint job and some useless busy-looking stuff glued on.

The GT2 RS is the the special, limited car. The Turbo S is just a way to part fools from their money, but hey, maybe it will somehow go up in value. Who knows. Idiots pay $600K for a manual 599, so maybe some weird gold paint and ugly wheels will make someone pay $100K premium on the Turbo S.

noone1:

Who actually considers the Turbo S limited edition? It's a paint job and some useless busy-looking stuff glued on.

The GT2 RS is the the special, limited car. The Turbo S is just a way to part fools from their money, but hey, maybe it will somehow go up in value. Who knows. Idiots pay $600K for a manual 599, so maybe some weird gold paint and ugly wheels will make someone pay $100K premium on the Turbo S.

Why do you have to call manual 599 owners idiots or Turbo ES owners fools? I don't think especially you could be the one to judge  1325269639981rolleyes.gif

Take a look at the video on how the different bespoke parts of the Turbo ES are crafted (like the carbon/paint mix of the hood and roof, or the new innovative tech carbon wheels) and maybe you learn something. The Turbo ES is not my particular preference in 911 but I certainly would not call buyers anything but fortunate if they like it and can get a hold of one, and happy for them.

--

⇒ Carlos - Porsche 991 Carrera GTS

noone1:

You'd be surprised. I can get a GT2 RS, I cannot get a Turbo S Exclusive Series. Believe it or not but there are many people who want one (Turbo S ES).

Limited car? There is no official limitation for the GT2 RS but the Turbo S is indeed officially limited. 

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Carrera 4 GTS Cabriolet (2015), Porsche Cayenne S Diesel (2017), Audi R8 V10 Plus (2016), Mini JCW (2015)

noone1:

Who knows. Idiots pay $600K for a manual 599, 

You completely discredit yourself on that topic with that comment. Do you know how RARE a manual 599 is?Smiley

I wouldn’t pay that amount either, actually I am on the side of trying to sell my manual 612 if it gets close to $400k, but at least there is a somewhat of a reason why the prices are high.

RC:
    noone1:

You'd be surprised. I can get a GT2 RS, I cannot get a Turbo S Exclusive Series. Believe it or not but there are many people who want one (Turbo S ES).

I love the turbo product... But this SE edition? I don't see why this should be attractive to own Smiley A limited number produced only makes a car more desirable if the car itself is also special and attractive. This turbo SE will be fairly unattractive as soon as the 992 turbo has come out... Don't you agree?

SciFrog:
    noone1:

Who knows. Idiots pay $600K for a manual 599, 

You completely discredit yourself on that topic with that comment. Do you know how RARE a manual 599 is?Smiley

I wouldn’t pay that amount either, actually I am on the side of trying to sell my manual 612 if it gets close to $400k, but at least there is a somewhat of a reason why the prices are high.

You could have just converted an F1 to manual IIRC. It would probably cost about $400K less. I'm sure Ferrari would have been happy to source and sell you the components at the time.

What is so unique about the Turbo ES? They masked the hood before painting it? Optional CF wheels that weigh 20% less than standard wheels but probably not 20% less than wheels that truly are aimed at being lightweight? Ford sells CF wheels on the Mustang 350R too...

noone1:

We can do the math.

The aerokit is 7k as a build option, but from the parts department it's also 7k plus the labour. Call it 7k for now. And that's not accounting for the exterior carbon bits. 

The carbon hood for the GT3RS is 18k, the carbon hood on the Turbo S ES is more intricate, add 5k an d let's call it 23k

The carbon roof panel also contains the same detailing as the hood, but a bit smaller, let's put that at 15k.

We are already at 45k. Don't forget, the hood and roof are custom hand paint pieces.

The wheels. a set of custom wheels from HRE runs around 15k. Add the painting and laser etching and call it a even 20k.

Now at 65k.

Now the inside. It's full leather/alcantara interior, which means all the extra little pieces that are optioned on a regular car is standard. The ES also has custom roof liner, seats have double layering as there are laser cut circular dots on them. Then there are the custom carbon trim pieces with copper wires threads. Ballpark figure for the interior upgrade say 20k.

Now we are at 85k.

The Powerkit. Normal power kit runs what, 13k? Call it that and we are at 98k.

PTS. The golden yellow is a special color, it has a lock out of I believe 5 years. Current PTS cost is 7k. 

Grand total? 105k.

This is not even accounting for the black painted callipers. I have asked about painting the callipers on my GT2RS to black, unless my last name is a Porsche or a Piech, I am not getting it no matter how much I wanna pay them.

Add the Limited edition factor and the Turbo S ES doesn't seem that expensive anymore isn't it?

--

I don't think it's a matter of it being less than the sum of its (overpriced) part prices, it's a matter of it just being a Turbo S that no one would have ordered in the first place unless it was deemed "special".

They couldn't sell 500 Turbo S for $300K in the first place.

Just out of curiosity, why is the hood $23K? What is special about it?

The carbon hood on the GT3RS is 18k. But it doesn't have a attractive matching weave finish and needs to be covered in paint.

The Turbo S ES has a hand laid match weave, that's more labour involved and then add the hand paint finish. Rough guess is Porsche's gonna add 5k on top of what it cost for the GT3RS hood.

I had always wanted to buy a Turbo S again, never got around to buy one. Drove the Turbo S plenty of time during 918 Spyder Circle events. Fantastic daily car, roomy, understated, superbly quick, safe in all weather. So when the ES comes out, it's my perfect excuse to buy one as this one has an extra 27HP on top, not that I needed the extra power. 

And yes, my 1 of 500 limited car will be my daily. 

--

Good for you Whoopsy, will be a fantastic car as daily driver. The finish of the hood is of an other world, as also the leather inside. My wife uses the Turbo Cabrio as a daily driver, great car!

@ Noon1 de Turbo S ES has no CF wheels, this is an option. I did not like the CF wheels.

Whoopsy:

Smiley. Remind me , is this going to be black or the launch gold colour?

crayphile:
    Whoopsy:

Smiley. Remind me , is this going to be black or the launch gold colour?

Gold!

I realized I needed some coloured cars as all my Porsche keys looked exactly the same, all painted black except the Acid Green one for the 918 Smiley. My eye sight is not good enough inside the house to tell the difference between all the difference shades of black from Porsche. 

--

Whoopsy:

Hey Nick,

I'm crossing fingers that you will not have any incident to your new daily.

My friend who owns an autobody shop in Richmond said most if not all body shops will not have the capability to work on this car.

--

Tim

2010 997.2 GT3RS;  2008 Cayenne Turbo;  2006 911 Club Coupe;  2016 911 GTS Club Coupe;  2015 Macan S

sorry RC but are you serious when you say the Turbo Exclusive is harder to get than the GT2 RS? seriously? someth8ng is wrong in the world

Targa Tim:
    Whoopsy:

Hey Nick,

I'm crossing fingers that you will not have any incident to your new daily.

My friend who owns an autobody shop in Richmond said most if not all body shops will not have the capability to work on this car.

There is nothing really special on repairing the Turbo S ES. The hood is carbon fibre, in an accident it is a replacement item. The rest of the bumpers and stuff are factory aero kit, some in carbon, so also a replacement item. The fenders on this car is standard Turbo/Turbo S ones, not special carbon ones like the GT3RS/GT2RS.

Only problem will be paint. Anything happens it will be a complete respray, one cannot match the golden yellow. 

If that times comes I will talk to Porsche Exclusive about the painting process. 

Fingers crossed I don't need them Smiley

Rest assure the car will be completely condom-ed up.

--

996FourEss:

sorry RC but are you serious when you say the Turbo Exclusive is harder to get than the GT2 RS? seriously? someth8ng is wrong in the world

Simply math. the Turbo S ES is limited to 500 cars only, while the GT2RS can be up to 2000 cars, 4 times as many.

All 500 has been spoken for, and for quite while now. The extra 150 cab models for the North American market are also all gone.

Canada only gets 6 coupes and 6 cabs, there will be more than 12 GT2RS coming to Canada, probably close to 50 if not 60. Same with every market. More GT2RS than the Exclusive Edition or the 911R. 
    --

Whoopsy:
    996FourEss:

Simply math. the Turbo S ES is limited to 500 cars only, while the GT2RS can be up to 2000 cars, 4 times as many.

All 500 has been spoken for, and for quite while now. The extra 150 cab models for the North American market are also all gone.

Canada only gets 6 coupes and 6 cabs, there will be more than 12 GT2RS coming to Canada, probably close to 50 if not 60. Same with every market. More GT2RS than the Exclusive Edition or the 911R. 
    --

As a daily driver the ES will be a perfect car, of course (like the turbo in general) Smiley Is there a  chance that you can get the convertible version of the ES? The car will be even more fun (the convertible makes so much sense with the turbo - no real disadvantages but a lot of additional fun) and given the numbers it would also be more "special" Smiley

Wow Nick... If you ever wreck the car and the front trunklid is still in good shape, can I please have it? I think it would look amazing as a piece of art on the wall! smiley 

--

Porsche, separates Le Mans from Le Boys

Joost:

Wow Nick... If you ever wreck the car and the front trunklid is still in good shape, can I please have it? I think it would look amazing as a piece of art on the wall! smiley 

In such case I take two of the rims as a frame for a nice coffee table. Smiley

--

We're at the point where you can be the fastest or just sound like you're the fastest.

The secret of life is to admire without desiring.

--

Whoopsy:

We can do the math.

The aerokit is 7k as a build option, but from the parts department it's also 7k plus the labour. Call it 7k for now. And that's not accounting for the exterior carbon bits. 

The carbon hood for the GT3RS is 18k, the carbon hood on the Turbo S ES is more intricate, add 5k an d let's call it 23k

The carbon roof panel also contains the same detailing as the hood, but a bit smaller, let's put that at 15k.

We are already at 45k. Don't forget, the hood and roof are custom hand paint pieces.

I was reading the above and thinking "is this guy for real" with these crazy prices and beginning to think what idiot would pay this sort of money for carbon parts, I then remembered I had recently added a genuine new 997GT2RS carbon rear spoiler lip to my 997GT2 at a cost of 2500 Euro for a small piece, but I guess at least my carbon bit actually does something additional to add to the driving experience - that is my justification for this type of profligate madness Smiley

--

997 GT2 2014 3.9 Mezger, 800PS @ 1.2 bar

993 Turbo, 2006 built 3.8, 577PS/797NM, 1440kg DIN

MKSGR:
    As a daily driver the ES will be a perfect car, of course (like the turbo in general) Smiley Is there a  chance that you can get the convertible version of the ES? The car will be even more fun (the convertible makes so much sense with the turbo - no real disadvantages but a lot of additional fun) and given the numbers it would also be more "special" Smiley

I did get the offer, but I had to choose either the coupe or cab, can't have both. The cab doesn't come out until towards the end of 2018 also.

No one really has a look at the cab version, they did a invitation only preview of the 'concept' about a month ago in LA but I missed that as I was away in Europe. 

The cab is North American only, a PCNA special so to speak, but in North American market, there will be more cab than coupes. IF memory serves me correctly, there will be around 130 coupes total for North America and 150 cabs.

--

Rossi:
    Joost:

In such case I take two of the rims as a frame for a nice coffee table. Smiley

I have two 917 rear wheels (15x15in) as a coffee table in my library. I'll not so humbly say it's pretty cool. Smiley

--

Past-President, Porsche Club of America - Upper Canada Region

Man, everyone is already calling dibs on parts of my car when it's not even in production yet 

--

MKSGR:
    RC:
    noone1:

I love the turbo product... But this SE edition? I don't see why this should be attractive to own Smiley A limited number produced only makes a car more desirable if the car itself is also special and attractive. This turbo SE will be fairly unattractive as soon as the 992 turbo has come out... Don't you agree?

Well, I find the new 991.2 GT3 Touring version to be more attractive than the 991.1 R but have you seen the prices for the R drop substantially? I haven't. Limited versions will always have a certain (collector's) value and even if the 992 Turbo S will be fast as hell, I doubt that the 991.2 Turbo S ES will drop substantially in value.

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Carrera 4 GTS Cabriolet (2015), Porsche Cayenne S Diesel (2017), Audi R8 V10 Plus (2016), Mini JCW (2015)

Whoopsy:

Man, everyone is already calling dibs on parts of my car when it's not even in production yet 

Better keep an eye on it or you may come down to the garage one morning and find it without wheels and body panels sitting on just four bricks SmileySmiley

--

Whoopsy:
    MKSGR:

I did get the offer, but I had to choose either the coupe or cab, can't have both. The cab doesn't come out until towards the end of 2018 also.

No one really has a look at the cab version, they did a invitation only preview of the 'concept' about a month ago in LA but I missed that as I was away in Europe. 

The cab is North American only, a PCNA special so to speak, but in North American market, there will be more cab than coupes. IF memory serves me correctly, there will be around 130 coupes total for North America and 150 cabs.

I see - end of 2018 is very late indeed Smiley

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    761888 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    435070 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    260351 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    257435 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    80893 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5318 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

871943 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    807284 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM