Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 - Turbo Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

I love my TT, but lets talk about any irritants..

Although I have a stupid grin almost every time I start my baby, I have picked a few subtle irritants...
    1) Center armrest feels too low for me - and I'm by no means really tall - 6.0'.
    2) No BlueTooth - c'mon - my IS has it standard...I see this as a safety feature, especially driving a stick shift...
    3) Security system does not beep when locking/unlocking...
    4) Mistakedly opened trunk with remote a few times already.
    5) One would hope to have adaptive xenons at +-$140k.
    6) No LED tail lights/signals...
    7) No touch screen nav...

Please don't get me wrong - I love this car - just pointing out a few things that I would prefer...

Re: I love my TT, but lets talk about any irritants..

I'll try to see about answering your criticisms:

1) Not much can be done about that I guess. I didn't think it was an issue.

2) I spoke with my salesperson at one time about having no Bluetooth and apparently Porsche does not want to risk having any sort of virus infect their systems by means of Bluetooth technology. Silly if you ask me but Benchmark has a solution that seems to work well.

3) I think this is a reprogrammable option? I could be wrong though. I seem to remember reading somewhere on here about that. Wish I could remember where/how to make it beep.

4) I guess it's a design flaw. I think I remember seeing a thread about that too.

5) Yeah, I wish they had that too...the Cayenne has it but not the 986/987/997.

6) Rumors have it that the updated 997 will have LED tailights. I'm not sure WHY they didn't include it in the first place. I have those LED bulbs like I showed you. I'll have to see if those work without those glitches.

7) Germans don't seem to like the idea of a touchscreen GPS. I don't think any of them have it.

Every car has their pros and cons...you just listed a lot of the cons but hey, the pros makes up for it, right?

Re: I love my TT, but lets talk about any irritant

The armrest is not high in order not to be an obstacle when driving hard.

For question number 4, the key can be reprogrammed in order to open after pressing it longer. Your dealer can do the job.

Quote:
    WetTT said:
    Although I have a stupid grin almost every time I start my baby, I have picked a few subtle irritants...
    1) Center armrest feels too low for me - and I'm by no means really tall - 6.0'.

It's OK. It is not a rocking armchair.

Quote:
    2) No BlueTooth - c'mon - my IS has it standard...I see this as a safety feature, especially driving a stick shift...

It's a sports car not a mobile office or gadget den.

Quote:

Thank God it doesn't beep. We like it discreet...

Quote:

Operator error. Live and learn.

Quote:

They are self-leveling. What else do you need?

Quote:

Who cares?? It IS a sports car.

Quote:

Again! Thank God!

Quote:
    Please don't get me wrong - I love this car - just pointing out a few things that I would prefer...

I think you'll be happier with your Lexus. Those doodads belong in a luxo-box, NOT in a Porsche!

Quote:
    ADias said:
    Quote:
    WetTT said:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Again! Thank God!

Quote:

I think you'll be happier with your Lexus. Those doodads belong in a luxo-box, NOT in a Porsche!

I coudn't have answered any better

Quote:
    WetTT said:

1) you must have a freakishly long torso and short legs.

2) Porsche is BS'ing you... it just costs more money for them to work it into their R&D schedule. They'll probably release a Carrera model called the 911 Bluetooth.

3) Not a big deal... just watch the lights.

4) Stop mashing the buttons.

5) Totally agree about the xenons.

6) The LED lights are strangely missing... again something the current owners can be pissed about when their one year old car is one-upped.

7) Touchscreen nav. is coming along with an updated PCM.

Hey Adias... pretty soon you won't be able to tell between the Lexus and Porsche.
    It's all part of the Toyota execs master plan.

Quote:
    WetTT said:

Agree, slightly low but I don't mind having two hands on the steering wheel.

Quote:
    WetTT said:

I ordered the phone module, as I wait for the car to warm up and cool down, I call forward or cancel call forward.

Quote:
    WetTT said:

Agree, hopefully that group buy remote module will fix this.

Quote:
    WetTT said:

Yes, only once but luckily it didn't drain the battery. I'm getting the remote module with the rest of the gang in the group by to fix this.

Quote:
    WetTT said:

Lights are bright and wide enough for me. Brighter than other BMW and MB I have had.

Quote:
    WetTT said:

Don't really care about this one.

Quote:
    WetTT said:

Doesn't bother me I prefer buttons, hate the touch screen in the Honda, doesn't give me the good tactile feedback.

Other missing features, if you're picky:

1. No keyless go
    2. No ventilated seats
    3. No voice command
    4. No reverse camera or front sensors
    5. No factory iPod kit
    6. CDC doesn't play MP3
    7. No auto trunk open and close
    8. No rear windshield fluid spray
    9. No soft closing doors

But the car has something other luxury high powered cruisers don't have..

TRACTION -> USEABLE POWER

Quote:
    ADias said:
    Quote:
    WetTT said:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Again! Thank God!

Quote:

Great comments Adias! I couldn't agree more!

Quote:
    ADias said:
    Quote:
    WetTT said:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Again! Thank God!

Quote:

Wow....I don't think I'm going to complain about most of the "missing" features. I think that there's a very fine line between having too little and too much. Most of the complaints here should be fixed by the group buy.

See this thread to get in on the group buy. It ends on the 16th!

http://forums.rennlist.com/rennforums/showthread.php?t=302934&page=1&pp=15

Some of the responses have been hilarious - sorry to some folks for raining on their parade - my point being that Porsche can spend millions on a slush box for a 'sports car', but can't have safety features like adaptive xenons and rear LED's.

Not an irritant since I don't have one but why not perforated leather seats, satellite radio and keyless go... My M5 has these things and although not essential, they are very nice and useful.

Quote:
    carcam said:
    Not an irritant since I don't have one but why not perforated leather seats, satellite radio and keyless go... My M5 has these things and although not essential, they are very nice and useful.

The 997TT DOES have perforated leather seats. It's also possible to add the sat radio too from the Cayenne since they all use the same PCM system. Expensive though. "Keyless go" IMHO isn't "sport-orientated."

How about IPod integration?

I completely agree as some of those things are just computer related and have nothing to do with adding more weight. Bluetooth should be standard over 70K. Touchscreen or voice nav is just computer as well.

How about an involving driving experience?

Quote:
    RR4 said:

What's that?
    Many of today's Porsche buyers are simply poseurs They insist on 6-speed and have no skills to drive it correctly, they deride tiptronic because that is not "macho," (that BTW is actually another indication of their lack of knowledge) and then go on loading these cars with junk.

Sad... but true.

Quote:
    ADias said:
    Quote:
    RR4 said:

What's that?
    Many of today's Porsche buyers are simply poseurs They insist on 6-speed and have no skills to drive it correctly, they deride tiptronic because that is not "macho," (that BTW is actually another indication of their lack of knowledge) and then go on loading these cars with junk.

Sad... but true.

The only sad, but true statement is that you do NOT own a 997TT -so, please save your comments until you do - I was hoping for responses from owners of this great machine..

Quote:
    WetTT said:
    The only sad, but true statement is that you do NOT own a 997TT -so, please save your comments until you do - I was hoping for responses from owners of this great machine..

Excuse me! Now you are elitist? I do own a C4 and know TTs quite well thank you. And I'm pretty sure I've been around 11s far longer than you have.

My statements stand. It is very unfortunate that PAG is now very catering to a new breed of customers who care for details that have nothing to do with sports cars. Period!

They still market the GT2 and GT3 though...

That is an important point, Stealth. My first Porsche was a '62 356B Super. The Super engine was about the only variation available. The model line has expanded tremendously to satisfy many different profiles of buyers. If Porsche's models were as they were in 1962, there would probably only be a GT3 and a GT2 with the exotic Carrera GT today being like the limited Carrera produced in the 1960's. How times have changed. No need to criticize the new models as not being as pure to the sports car ethos as long as there is a model to satisfy that customer segment and the brand does not get confused as to what it represents. My $0.02

Sound thinking!

#1 I had no problem with it
    #2 It's nice to have bluetooth but it's not something necessary, even Ferraris dont have them yet, and they cost a lot more than Porsches
    #3 It's a BIG oversight on Porsche part but the group buy fix that
    #4 I still haven't mistakenly opened the front trunk, call me lucky
    #5 see #2
    #6 see #5
    #7 I am glad it didn't have touch screen, to me the screen would gets so greasy and dirty and full of fingerprints in no time....

If 911s have keyless go, then what are you gonna do with your left hand when you enter the car? Everyone of you has already trained your left hand to hold the keys when you get in the car, so why change that?

911 Turbo has evolved from a pure sports car to a cross between a sports car and GT car a LONG time ago. The pure sports car job has long been given to the GT2 and GT3, just LOOK at the equipment list and check out what's behind the front seat.....somehow I don't think real sports car have backseats and lo and behold, the new GT3 DOES NOT HAVE ANY!!!

I bought the 911 Turbo for what it really is, a superfast GT car that can do part time sports car duty. If I had wanted a sports car I would have gone to the GT3 in a heartbeat.

I know someone who complains to me the 997 Turbo is too bulky, too loaded with heavy 'un-needed' equipments. His idea of an ideal 911 is a stripper Carrera S with nothing more than PCCB brakes, even deletes the radio and sunroof, he claims that is a perfect sports car. I told him about the GT3 and his answer is that the GT3 is too expensive to be a sports car!?!?!?
    To me at the end of the day the real story is that his budget didn't allow him to have what he want in a Porsche but he justified his poorness by claiming he wants a 'pure' sports car, not a loaded poser.

I believe if one wants a sports car, go buy a GT3, want a turbo-ed sports car? go buy a GT2. The new 997 Turbo is a GT car now and get over it.

Quote:
    ADias said:
    Quote:
    RR4 said:

What's that?

Sad... but true.

I detect some serious self-loathing in ADias' response. Perhaps it just emotional immaturity or "the lady protestts too much" element. I suggest that ADias knows no more about 997tt's buyer motivation than pigs know about Sunday.

Gotta agree with Whoopsie. I've had my car for only 2 weeks, 300+ miles. Still getting to know it. No problems here. Never opened the trunk inadvertently. Don't care about touch-screen. Like the lights flashing with lockdown as opposed to hornblast. Xenons and LED rears, yeah that woulda been nice but does not constitute an irritant. The only thing I dislike is the small gas tank. 20 gals. is the proper size for the consumption of this car, but I know there's no place to put it.

As for sports car vs GT: look around, choose what best suits your needs and buy it. The fact that PAG builds and sells what it knows its customers want, that's just plain good business. Last time I looked, PAG was a company in business, not a sports car institution. My '89 930 was considered a poseur's car 17 years ago when I first bought it. By comparison, the 997TT is hugely refined and certainly less of a true sports car in the opinion of many. While this does diminish the cache of owning one, it doesn't diminish the enjoyment of driving it. My .02

For a practical daily driver, the 997TT is quite decent at least it has features like map based navigation and a built-in phone.

However, it's the useable power in all conditions and relatively low profile appearance (to 99% folks it's just another Porsche) that sold me.

Quote:
    WetTT said:

1. center armrest too low? You're really "resting" your arm while driving???

2. Bluetooth is nice to have...if you want to hook up your portable phone to the system. Personally, I have a tri-card phone number, meaning that I have three SIM cards using the same number, so one of them is in my PCM system. No need for Bluetooth at all, maybe this is why Porsche never integrated Bluetooth.

3. the security system not beeping when closing the doors actually is something I don't like either. I programmed the system to beep on my Cayenne Turbo but I'm not sure this is possible on the 997 Turbo.

4. the car key design is a design flaw, I wonder why Porsche doesn't change this. Whoever wears tight jeans (I do and my wife too) has serious problems with this key design because as soon as the key is in the pocket, the buttons are pressed accidentally. Porsche seriously needs to fix this.

5. the Xenons are self-levelling. If you're referrin to the "curve light", I can tell you that this really isn't the greatest thing to have. I have it on my Cayenne and I can't tell much difference at night.

6. I already mentioned in my short review that I don't understand either why Porsche doesn't use LED rear lights.
    Maybe this is something they want to save up for the facelift.

7. I hate touch screen navs. Have you ever seen how the finger prints look at sunshine on those screens in a car? Horrible. The only thing I'm missing on the PCM system is an iPOD connectivity.

Keyless go is a nice option that I didn't want to pay for on my E55 but now I find it exceptionally convenient. It is an excellent security feature for my wife as well

Quote:
    RC said:
    2. Bluetooth is nice to have...if you want to hook up your portable phone to the system. Personally, I have a tri-card phone number, meaning that I have three SIM cards using the same number, so one of them is in my PCM system. No need for Bluetooth at all, maybe this is why Porsche never integrated Bluetooth.

As far a I can tell, no USA GSM carrier has this functionality. It would be nice if they did.

As it stands, the SIM card solution is very inconvenient since one has to remove the card from a phone to use it here.

I have a separate SIM card for my Carrera GT built-in phone and it is of much less use than I would like. I'd have to forward my regular number to the CGT number and then un-do it after I get out of the car. Also, the CGT phone doesn't seem to have the coverage in weak-signal areas that my belt-clipped GSM Motorola RAZR enjoys.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    689176 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    409013 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255665 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    234912 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65485 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4642 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

857833 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    773814 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM