Crown

Board: Other Sports Cars Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: High-Speed acceleration data of Z06

Quote:
    Congaman said:
    ... Well, seems like there is alot of talking going on here but no action. I've repeatedly invited to a real life race on the Autobahn. Maybe I would win maybe not...

Maybe some people lack the maturety to drive those speeds on the Autobahn, no matter in which car.

I guess you have a hard time figuring out what this topic is all about - if you watch MKGSR's video link it becomes pretty obvious that the 5th gear on the Corvette is way too tall for competitive acceleration. The thrust of the engine, as becoming obvious on the lower gears, is surely incredible.

I assume what MKGSR tries to tell us with his post, that the Z06 is lacking a certain amount of high-speed acceleration in stock configuration. That might not be important to you guys in speed-restricted countries but it might do in Germany. Modern sportscars beyond 400 hp can mainly be differentiated at those speeds, being fairly close below 200 kph. Got it?

I think we should turn the discussion back to empirical data.

We have 3 cars:
    -Gallardo (520hp 3500lbs Cd .31)
    -997 Turbo (480hp 3500 lbs Cd .31)
    -Z06 (505hp 3200lbs Cd .34)

The variables are frontal surface area, tyre/wheel size (unsprung weight versus sprung weight) and gearing ratios.

Based upon suspicions via reviews and metric data, the Z06 is the most hampered for high-speed acceleration (due to its inept 6th gear "gas guzzling" ratio), the 997 Turbo seems to be alright and the Gallardo seems to have the biggest advantage in terms of high speed gearing (based on the fact that it is slower to 200kmph than the 997 with comperable stats, but a lot of stats which show better 100-200kmph and better 200-250+kmph acceleration).

This leads to a probability that all the cars are pretty comperable in high speed 0-300kmph acceleration runs. The z06 has an advantage at a rolling start up to 200ish, the Gallardo has an advantage at high speed. Basically, all of these cars are pretty comperable in this regard and small variables like shifting speed/passengers/fuel tank will be the only things to determine such a race

very well said hurst, i completly agree?

Quote:
    Hurst said:

We have 3 cars:

The variables are frontal surface area, tyre/wheel size (unsprung weight versus sprung weight) and gearing ratios.

Based upon suspicions via reviews and metric data, the Z06 is the most hampered for high-speed acceleration (due to its inept 6th gear "gas guzzling" ratio), the 997 Turbo seems to be alright and the Gallardo seems to have the biggest advantage in terms of high speed gearing (based on the fact that it is slower to 200kmph than the 997 with comperable stats, but a lot of stats which show better 100-200kmph and better 200-250+kmph acceleration).

This leads to a probability that all the cars are pretty comperable in high speed 0-300kmph acceleration runs. The z06 has an advantage at a rolling start up to 200ish, the Gallardo has an advantage at high speed. Basically, all of these cars are pretty comperable in this regard and small variables like shifting speed/passengers/fuel tank will be the only things to determine such a race

So basically, they all perform within inches of each other, but the Z06 gets better gas mileage, is gear for actual daily usage, and costs about 1/3rd the price with a 100k mile warranty

Does it get any better?

Quote:
    95jersey said:
    Quote:
    Hurst said:

We have 3 cars:

So basically, they all perform within inches of each other, but the Z06 gets better gas mileage, is gear for actual daily usage, and costs about 1/3rd the price with a 100k mile warranty

Does it get any better?

We've done this many times. Depends on the taste. But the Z06 has the best price-performance ratio I've ever seen and the competition has much to fear from the Blie Devil.

Quote:
    Crash said:
    Interesting. Yes, I did receive your email. Obviously, you are taking this very seriously, so let's wait and see what Markus says .

I am so convinced of my logic that I do not even need a test

Quote:
    MKSGR said:
    Quote:
    Crash said:
    Interesting. Yes, I did receive your email. Obviously, you are taking this very seriously, so let's wait and see what Markus says .

I am so convinced of my logic that I do not even need a test

Markus, a man of conviction and unshakable confidence .

Quote:
    Ferdie said:
    Quote:
    Congaman said:
    ... Well, seems like there is alot of talking going on here but no action. I've repeatedly invited to a real life race on the Autobahn. Maybe I would win maybe not...

Maybe some people lack the maturety to drive those speeds on the Autobahn, no matter in which car.

I guess you have a hard time figuring out what this topic is all about - if you watch MKGSR's video link it becomes pretty obvious that the 5th gear on the Corvette is way too tall for competitive acceleration. The thrust of the engine, as becoming obvious on the lower gears, is surely incredible.

I assume what MKGSR tries to tell us with his post, that the Z06 is lacking a certain amount of high-speed acceleration in stock configuration. That might not be important to you guys in speed-restricted countries but it might do in Germany. Modern sportscars beyond 400 hp can mainly be differentiated at those speeds, being fairly close below 200 kph. Got it?

This is a perfect summary, Ferdie

Quote:
    Hurst said:

We have 3 cars:

Another perfect summary

Quote:
    Hurst said:

We have 3 cars:

Very Well said again

I'll third that.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I6EiNFiLhV0

Anybody see that video

Quote:
    VGA18 said:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I6EiNFiLhV0

Anybody see that video

amazing vid and car! thanks caghan. and that clearly confirms what mksgr and crash were saying, a G imo is faster from 250 to 300, it is somehow slow after 150mph..the G continue with more consistence to 300

Also that is on speedo; if we include errors, that %100 confirms MKSGR and CRASH for the subject above 250kph

But i think Z06 is really one of the best cars about price/performance subject

Quote:
    Ferdie said:
    Quote:
    Congaman said:

No, I don't think that I haven't been able to figure out the topic. MKGSR made some very clear statements and I have challenged them by claiming they are not true in real life. Maybe thats not allowed on this forum? I'm a member of many car forums and debates are usually allowed, but I'm new here so what do I know?

I also challanged MKGSR to prove his theories in a real life race on the Autobahn OR a strip. But for reasons I don't know he is not prepared to do that. I think that is sad. So for now we'll have to settle for another internet race. Hopefuly I will soon find a Gallardo or 997TT owner who is willing to do the race. I will post the video here.Like Hurst I think the races will be very close....but I still have reasons to think the Z06 will be able to win even above 250 km/h

Yes, I know I promised to go away....I just couldn't resist to comment as you are still posting comments about me.

Quote:
    Congaman said:
    Quote:
    Ferdie said:
    Quote:
    Congaman said:

No, I don't think that I haven't been able to figure out the topic. MKGSR made some very clear statements and I have challenged them by claiming they are not true in real life. Maybe thats not allowed on this forum? I'm a member of many car forums and debates are usually allowed, but I'm new here so what do I know?

I also challanged MKGSR to prove his theories in a real life race on the Autobahn OR a strip. But for reasons I don't know he is not prepared to do that. I think that is sad. So for now we'll have to settle for another internet race. Hopefuly I will soon find a Gallardo or 997TT owner who is willing to do the race. I will post the video here.Like Hurst I think the races will be very close....but I still have reasons to think the Z06 will be able to win even above 250 km/h

Yes, I know I promised to go away....I just couldn't resist to comment as you are still posting comments about me.

Nobody asked you to go away, so why act surprised? Everybody is welcome here, as long as they behave. As for MKSGR's reasons, they are really simple, but I won't go into them at this time. As for the challenge, it's easy. Find a 997TT and a Gallardo and test them two at a time at a safe location, then report the results. Win or lose, it's the real figures that matter, so if the 997TT would be slower than the Z06 above 250 km/h, you can bet we would want to know.
    Good night!

you dont need to go , you just need to accept others people opinion congaman . democracy, remember?

Why do u want to go away? We are all just making comments about the care whether it is proved or not proved. These are all peoples expeirences or comments.

so nobody need to go away

Quote:
    dhayek said:
    you dont need to go , you just need to accept others people opinion congaman . democracy, remember?

I don't think I haven't accepted the opinion of others. If you think I haven't then how and when? Even though I can accept that others doesn't chare my opinion I must be entitled to think the person is incorrect. Right?

Crash: You say I'm acting surprised. How and when?

Quote:
    MKSGR said:
    Quote:
    355Spider said:
    Here's the new record for a stock c6Z06. 11.08 @131 in a c6 z.All stock and street tires. Had a 1.79 .60 ft.Time slips have not been verified yet but that's fast.

Could you please post some 200-300kph and 250-300kph times? That would be much more interesting than any 0-125kph tests.

I have plenty of magazines where I can look up 0-125kph times of the Z06

I wish I could. There's just a lack of info right now. I'm going to try and do some testing of my own with my new passport GT2 performance meter.
    The 599s not out yet in the states but it's going to be faster from every speed I suspect.

Quote:
    355Spider said:
    Quote:
    MKSGR said:
    Quote:
    355Spider said:
    Here's the new record for a stock c6Z06. 11.08 @131 in a c6 z.All stock and street tires. Had a 1.79 .60 ft.Time slips have not been verified yet but that's fast.

Could you please post some 200-300kph and 250-300kph times? That would be much more interesting than any 0-125kph tests.

I have plenty of magazines where I can look up 0-125kph times of the Z06

I wish I could. There's just a lack of info right now. I'm going to try and do some testing of my own with my new passport GT2 performance meter.
    The 599s not out yet in the states but it's going to be faster from every speed I suspect.

Ohh, yes the Ferrari 599 will beat the Z06 with no problem. When I travelled to the Nurburg Ring in September there was a 599 in the group I travelled with. It is scary fast both on the road and on the track. In our group we had about 10 Ferrari 430's, a Ferrari 360 CS, Porsches including some GT3RS and a GT2 and GT3 Cup (pure race car), tuned BMW M6, my Corvette C6 and a C5 Z06. The only car that could keep up with the 599 on the GP-track (not the Nordschleife) was the GT3 Cup and that's a pure racecar!!

To my mind the 599 is as near you can come to the perfect mix of a luxury GT and a pure racer. One of my friends will get his 599 in April 2007. I hope to be able to testdrive it as it is out of my league to buy one.

Quote:
    Congaman said:

I would love to do a test (as long as it is safe and does not endanger others). However, I simply have no 997TT or Gallardo available to do a test...

BTW: If you could manage to do a real life test with a 997TT or Gallardo 520 (speed range 200-300kph) the results would be very, very interesting to know

MKSGR: Ok, then I understand why you can't do the test. From what Crash wrote in one of his first posts in this thread I thought you had access to one of these fine cars. If I can find a Gallardo 520 or a Porsche 997 TT and a strip I will sure let you know the result. As you may have noticed I'm perhaps the most curious of all to know the answer.

I will start to ask around with friends and other conections.

Quote:
    Congaman said:
    MKSGR: Ok, then I understand why you can't do the test. From what Crash wrote in one of his first posts in this thread I thought you had access to one of these fine cars. If I can find a Gallardo 520 or a Porsche 997 TT and a strip I will sure let you know the result. As you may have noticed I'm perhaps the most curious of all to know the answer.

I will start to ask around with friends and other conections.

I would have to ask my dealers for another test drive...

I'll do the test when my 997TT is delivered. Of course you still need to take into consideration that my Gallardo is a Spyder, it does have the 520HP but it's weight is higher than that of the coupé.

Rami; Wonderful!! I will PM you info about email an my phone number so you can contact me when you get the 997TT. The outcome will be realy interesting. We need videodocumentation. We can work out the details when you contact me.

rami , you should finish the brake in period before you drag race

Quote:
    dhayek said:

During my lunch brake I was thinking the same thing. At least to avoid discussion you should have the 997TT broken in properly. I read somewhere that it would need about 10.000 km before it "wakes up". Could this be true and if so when will it be broken in?

Quote:
    Congaman said:
    Quote:
    dhayek said:

During my lunch brake I was thinking the same thing. At least to avoid discussion you should have the 997TT broken in properly. I read somewhere that it would need about 10.000 km before it "wakes up". Could this be true and if so when will it be broken in?

It's true for all engines of all car manufacturers.
    You get a 100% potential of your engine after approx. 10,000 km.

Fanch: You are probably right, but I have been driving my Z06 like I stole it since day one.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    689325 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    409088 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255697 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    234946 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65500 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4644 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

857898 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    773904 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM