Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 - Turbo Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: 959 Vs. 997TT interesting article

Good article - thanks, Ron!

Thx Ron for the article.. If I'm faced with the choice I would go for the 959 in a heartbeat.

Gr8 article. Sad but true, the more i read about the 997TT the less I want it and the more I want the GT3. Gr8 car indeed but has some issues

Well....

"They both lack charisma, and even though the 959 has more of a voice than the 997 Turbo and is trickier to drive, if it was my money on the line I'd go for something with some soul, some character, some flaws."

Maybe the TT "lackcs of charisma" (I doubt it). but the 959!!!!

It's the BEST design Porsche ever did (The second, the 928). And I wonder why they did not follow that direction...

When I went to pick my 977S, there was a 959 there (I'm so sorry I lost the pics because a hard disk crash).....and a GT....I felt the 977 was a fiat 500 compared with the gorgeus and really timeless design of the 959......in the end, what it should be the Carrera of the 21st century.

I beleive that Porsche can make a lot of money with their nowdays politics, they are doing well, but....please don't forget the unconditionals: we are much more demanding...and you have the technology and skillness to wipe the competence off....please do it!

Develop an "unconditional range"....no goodies, performance, Porsche spirit. A reasonable priced GT with a 959 body (inside the reasonable possibilities)....

And, please let me go again, if the 959 has no "charisma", I am a pinguin!

Post Datum: Can you remember both 959's winning the Paris Dakar....one was Jakie Ickx....oh, glory days!

I read the article and if anything I still think it has too much nostalgia. I agree with the conclusion though - as a die-hard 911 owner as they come, I do think the 997 TT is better.

When a writer calls a comparison a draw, I am annoyed. Worse is when he disregards the "959 vs. 997TT" article title and starts talking about Ferrari's and Aston's.

Thank heavens for magazines like Evo.

Thanks a lot for the article.
    I will have a read on it

Last line of the PistonHeads article: "There is, after all, more to life than speed."

PistonHeads moto: "SPEED MATTERS"

Hmmmm, I wonder if Kevin Hackett know's who he wrote the article for?!

"Aston Martin V8 Vantage over the 997 Turbo"

Since the 997S gives the AM fits, this "pistonhead" must be more interested in exhaust sound and fine Corinthian leather than performance

Re: "Aston Martin V8 Vantage over the 997 Turbo"

Quote:
    Alan(NJ) said:
    Since the 997S gives the AM fits, this "pistonhead" must be more interested in exhaust sound and fine Corinthian leather than performance

Alan you must wean yourself from Porsche's and find out what fun drivng is all about. The writer in finding the 997TT lack soul, charisma and excitement is something many people who have open their minds and wallets to try something else have found to be true.

Get out of your rut, divorce yourself from the ordinary and once again enjoy driving by experiencing fun cars to drive.

Quote:
    nberry said:
    Quote:
    Alan(NJ) said:

Alan you must wean yourself from Porsche's and find out what fun drivng is all about. The writer in finding the 997TT lack soul, charisma and excitement is something many people who have open their minds and wallets to try something else have found to be true.

Get out of your rut, divorce yourself from the ordinary and once again enjoy driving by experiencing fun cars to drive.

For a minute there I thought I had heard the last of you and alas.. you are back again in all your degenerate feiro I mean ferrari spouting glory. Now I know why they are using lawyers for medical experiments these days...the lab technicians grow emotionally attached to rats

Quote:
    LoranTw said:
    Quote:
    nberry said:
    Quote:
    Alan(NJ) said:

For a minute there I thought I had heard the last of you and alas.. you are back again in all your degenerate feiro I mean ferrari spouting glory. Now I know why they are using lawyers for medical experiments these days...the lab technicians grow emotionally attached to rats

And there's a double whammy benefit to all of this. Once they're gone, they can bury them as deep as they want. Deep down, they're really nice guys, so they aren't hurting anyone anymore . Of course, I'm going to law school as well, so the only difference between a porcupine and me and nberry in a Mercedes will be the fact that a porcupine will have all of its pricks on the outside.

Quote:
    LoranTw said:
    Quote:
    nberry said:
    Quote:
    Alan(NJ) said:

I agree with the writer and my post had nothing to do with Ferrari's or Gallardo's. If you wish to remain under the Porsche bushel basket that is your choice. However, I would recommend you take a peek from underneath now and then to see what else is happening in the car world.

Quote:
    nberry said:
    Quote:
    LoranTw said:
    Quote:
    nberry said:
    Quote:
    Alan(NJ) said:

I agree with the writer and my post had nothing to do with Ferrari's or Gallardo's. If you wish to remain under the Porsche bushel basket that is your choice. However, I would recommend you take a peek from underneath now and then to see what else is happening in the car world.

Nick, relax. Nobody is denying the awesome performance of the 430, but some people just prefer P cars. You can't win them all.

Quote:
    Crash said:
    Quote:
    nberry said:
    Quote:
    LoranTw said:
    Quote:
    nberry said:
    Quote:
    Alan(NJ) said:

Nick, relax. Nobody is denying the awesome performance of the 430, but some people just prefer P cars. You can't win them all.

And thats why we are on a "P"...for porsche board...not an "F" for fiero board..

F

Quote:
    LoranTw said:
    Quote:
    Crash said:
    Quote:
    nberry said:
    Quote:
    LoranTw said:
    Quote:
    nberry said:
    Quote:
    Alan(NJ) said:

And thats why we are on a "P"...for porsche board...not an "F" for fiero board..

How dare you insult the brand. "F" stands for Fiat not Fiero.

"try something else"

My mind could be open but what should I buy instead of my Porsches?

z06? - not if they gave it to me
    AMV8 - too slow, not a great handler, questionable reliability
    M6 - hate the looks
    F430 - hate parade floats, hate F car dealers
    Gallardo - for the pimpin' cocaine and champagne crowd

Nope my boring 997tt is just perfect for me (and I adore it more every mile I drive it). I might take a look at the new Audi R8 assuming that it is not your ususal Audi, which looks good on paper, but just doesn't have the intuitive driving finesse found in a Porsche

Re: F

Quote:
    W211 said:
    Quote:
    LoranTw said:
    Quote:
    Crash said:
    Quote:
    nberry said:
    Quote:
    LoranTw said:
    Quote:
    nberry said:
    Quote:
    Alan(NJ) said:

How dare you insult the brand. "F" stands for Fiat not Fiero.

Thats right doesn't fiat own ferrari in principle, isn't that correct? ..or maybe that was "P" people endulging on heinous propaganda to besmurch the reputation of fiero

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    690602 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    409850 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    256068 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    235299 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65721 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4715 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

858515 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    774788 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM