Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Is Carbon Trim in the GT3 Tacky?

A very simple question, but one I am struggling with, is the optional carbon trim available for the GT3 and RS tacky?

Has carbon had it's day and does it now look a bit 'boy-racer', even on a track car?

Or can you option it on the GT3/RS and get away with it? All of it? Or just a few bits?

Views?

Re: Is Carbon Trim in the GT3 Tacky?

In limited use I can only imagine CF in something like the GT3 or RS,--but not the regular cars. Afterall, it is merely a "spaceaged material,"--plastic.

I went with leather and wood instead. Call me retro, or call me a trendsetter,--but don't call me late for dinner!

Dan

My view is if it is a functionl piece made out of carbon fiber, that's "good", but if it's a trim piece, it's just decoration and therefore "tacky".....

I like the small carbon pack - mainly because it takes away the awful silver plastic strip that goes across the dash. Is it functional in terms of structural? Nope - does it take away the weakest point of any Porsche: the painfully tacky trim... perhaps (in small doses).

My other concern is the rear centre console (and thus potential victim of carbon ) - it's a big slab of awful plastic and while in many cars you can colour code it to the exterior colour, with black exterior paint it doesn't really do much for the interior (above the stock black plastic). I also found the painted centre console scratched very easily. So perhaps carbon would be the answer here? Just not sure.

I also think it would be nice to bring the special ness of the seat backs into the rest of the car - I know that sounds a bit garage-queeny but I'm sure some of you will know what I'm going on about in terms of aesthetics

The only other aspect is that with the small carbon kit is that you get an alcantara/carbon gear knob and handbrake. As I'm worried about the alcantara wearing badly on the shift knob, perhaps the small carbon pack is the best way to get rid of the silver dash strip and the wear on the alcantara...

To me carbon is the same as the alu paint, wood decals, leather etc. Not functional but it makes the interiour nicer. Just a personal taste amd I like the carbon.

nomis, I wouldn't normally go for CF, but for a GT3, I think it'll look very good.

Quote:
    nomis said:
    I like the small carbon pack - mainly because it takes away the awful silver plastic strip that goes across the dash. Is it functional in terms of structural? Nope - does it take away the weakest point of any Porsche: the painfully tacky trim... perhaps (in small doses).

My other concern is the rear centre console (and thus potential victim of carbon ) - it's a big slab of awful plastic and while in many cars you can colour code it to the exterior colour, with black exterior paint it doesn't really do much for the interior (above the stock black plastic). I also found the painted centre console scratched very easily. So perhaps carbon would be the answer here? Just not sure.

I also think it would be nice to bring the special ness of the seat backs into the rest of the car - I know that sounds a bit garage-queeny but I'm sure some of you will know what I'm going on about in terms of aesthetics

The only other aspect is that with the small carbon kit is that you get an alcantara/carbon gear knob and handbrake. As I'm worried about the alcantara wearing badly on the shift knob, perhaps the small carbon pack is the best way to get rid of the silver dash strip and the wear on the alcantara...

Nomis having spent more time with the car I am less sure on the carbon. The only area being the door sills but there my dealer tells me the get scratched very quickly

So will think about it a bit more...

Cheers for the opinions guys...

Tee, I know what you mean about the scratching - the alu does that also (as does the plastic in all fairness)

Please yourself, it's your money, your car, why worry about what others may think of your tastes?

I never cease to be amazed by people who cannot decide what they like!

If I were to get the GT3, I would definitely do it.
    It's about as high tech as you can get.
    Besides, how could ANYTHING made by Porsche be considered "tacky" ?? Lol

Carbon fiber interior trim in " sporty cars " seemed dated to me by the mid 90s , when even econoboxes started adding fake patches of it here and there . Same goes for real or fake aluminum trim. Surprised that auto " fashionistas " haven't come up with the next big thing for leading edge interior bling.

Quote:
    MKW said:
    Carbon fiber interior trim in " sporty cars " seemed dated to me by the mid 90s , when even econoboxes started adding fake patches of it here and there . Same goes for real or fake aluminum trim. Surprised that auto " fashionistas " haven't come up with the next big thing for leading edge interior bling.

Which sport cars with carbon fiber interiors looked dated to you by the mid 90's?

Have you seen the interior of Ferrari's new 599 yet?
    How bout a Ferrari's Challenge Stradale? Or F430 w/ new CF wheel & CF interior/engine compt. options ?
    Enzo? Porsche CGT including chasis?
    GT2's CF spoiler?
    CF on Porsche's new X51 package ?
    BMW's new M6 roof?
    The new Pagani Zonda Roadster's carbon fiber chassis ?
    The new LP640 CF body panels? (Future CF roof for the Murci Roadster.)
    Ever see the inner working/tub of a MODERN F1 car?
    etc.etc.

Not bad company eh?

If anything IMO Carbon Fiber is really just starting to come into it's own in street cars.

I think CF is perfect for a GT3, especially RS.

I really don't like all the aluminum look trim in my 997S, and prefer the all black look of my old 996 Targa.

I know many people didn't like the interior of the 996, but I think I actually prefer it to the interior of my 997S, which reminds me more of a Lexus than a real sportscar.

I would replace the aluminum look trim with CF if I could.

Quote:
    I never cease to be amazed by people who cannot decide what they like!

I couldn't give a rats-arse what you think; however, what is the point of a forum if you can't ask an open question and gather opinion on a subject?

Bloody turnip! ...who pissed on your cornflakes?

Quote:
    nomis said:[/b

Bloody turnip! ...who pissed on your cornflakes?

hahahaha ,, just had a bowl of Cornflakes , with milk though.. ...

throt..

Quote:
    STRADALE said:
    Which sport cars with carbon fiber interiors looked dated to you by the mid 90's?

They all look dated to me when used as overlay ( not structural ) interior trim , whether real or not . It's a look that's been around a LONG time.
    Would be nice to see some bronzed or brushed alloys in , say , nickel or copper with interesting surface treatments on the very high end cars . Carbon fiber and cold brushed aluminum is so , 1980s and 1990s, and is easy to fake on cheap cars.

Quote:
    MKW said:
    Quote:
    STRADALE said:

They all look dated to me when used as overlay ( not structural ) interior trim , whether real or not . It's a look that's been around a LONG time.
    Would be nice to see some bronzed or brushed alloys in , say , nickel or copper with interesting surface treatments on the very high end cars . Carbon fiber and cold brushed aluminum is so , 1980s and 1990s, and is easy to fake on cheap cars.

I'm still curious as to what cars w/ Carbon Fiber interiors looked dated to you by the mid 90's ?

Guess my point is I disagree that Carbon Fiber interiors have been around for a long time, it's more of a new thing for street cars. And definitely don't think they look "tacky". Done well like in Porsche's, Ferrari's etc, they're really sharp and rich, upscale looking. (take the new CF steering wheel option w/ CF F1 paddles & CF center consule in my F430 for instance).......... Matter of fact I can't think of any CF interiors from the "1980's" ??????? That doesn't mean of course they weren't around, I just can't recall any. Help me out here. tia.

Totally personal taste, but I am not a fan of CF so much. And it will be money gone when (if?) you resell. The value of options is almost always ignored in resale pricing.

Quote:
    adrift said:
    Totally personal taste, but I am not a fan of CF so much. And it will be money gone when (if?) you resell. The value of options is almost always ignored in resale pricing.

Not always. I made money on my CS when I sold it last month. The CS has more CF than just about any other car, ever. I've already been offered $50k over sticker for my F430 and the main reason the guy said he wanted the car was because of the CF interior and racing seats. Most guys that I know who are big time car guys, CF is their favorite int. option. As it is mine. When I order my turbo cab the interior will have every CF option save the steering wheel. But that's because I buy my cars for me and not the next guy and "resale" is the last thing on my mind but even so CF has the very best resale from all interior options.
    Gotta run. take it easy.

To each his own. Call it bling, gaudy, or too 90's, but I have carbon fiber on my Carrera S and like it and that's all that matters. I even have carbon fiber under the hood.

After the Slate grey painted wheels with yellow calipers lurking in the background the carbon fiber bits receive the most favorable comments.

JerryGee:

Beautiful Interior !; picked similar CF options. Did you opt. for Natural-Grey Leather ? Seems to match well with CF.
    Hard to tell from pictures if its Black/Grey.

looks great

Quote:
    Florio said:
    JerryGee:

Beautiful Interior !; picked similar CF options. Did you opt. for Natural-Grey Leather ? Seems to match well with CF.
    Hard to tell from pictures if its Black/Grey.

No, it's just plain Black full leather but I think Natural-Grey leather would look very nice with carbon fiber.

I also had my sport seat backs painted (Slate Grey) which has received lots of favorable comments. Specing [sic] out a new Porsche is great fun as the possibilities are almost endless. I literally spent months on the Porsche website building my car trying hundreds of different combinations. The "work" and wait have been well worth it, I couldn't be happier with the finished product.

Quote:
    rhino said:
    looks great

Thanks!

Gotta give credit where credit is due

I think CF good in GT3 - but needs to be in a hardcore machine - think of lots of CF in a Merc - not right at all.

But I'm biased as I like stroking it (the carbon fiber that is!).

I like carbon fiber, but not too much, or it looks too race car driver, but hey I am a girl.. I want flowers? j/k.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    764199 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    436421 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    261004 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    257930 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    82621 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5328 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

876779 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    808823 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM