Crown

Forum - Thread

Re: GT3 engine issues again?

I don't think I've had to put oil on the GTS and it's past 40k, at least I don't remember doing so .... Maybe at the dealership they did it for me out of their own will in one of the visits (like tire change, etc) without me knowing (excluding the 30k service)?

--

⇒ Carlos - Porsche 991 Carrera GTS

Consumption on mine is minimal unless on track. +1 for the replacement; Porsche wouldn't commit to that kind of expense unless they thought it was necessary.

--

2015 911 GT3, 1964 Type 1

DaveGordon:

Consumption on mine is minimal unless on track. +1 for the replacement; Porsche wouldn't commit to that kind of expense unless they thought it was necessary.

you see, here is the strange thing. the PZ started out with 'this is almost a race car, so the oil consumption is normal' (which is total BS) to 'no worries, we provide you with unlimited free oil supply' (strange, no?) to 'we will lock the oil refill and then you come back when the warning sign lights up again, so we can check the km and report to PAG' (i refused telling them that i am a scientist and can keep track of km numbers) to finally 'if you want we can change your engine. how is in two weeks for you?'. apparently they got different instructions from PAG on how to deal with those matters. all in all, not a very convincing approach.

I guess the default condition for the dealer is that they assume you know nothing (hence the initial dialogue). I've had some poor experiences around that, too. But - it's an expensive decision to replace the engine, and (correct me if I'm wrong), this is not a decision the dealer can make on their own. Stuttgart will have been involved, and if that's their conclusion, I'd go with it.

--

DaveGordon:

I guess the default condition for the dealer is that they assume you know nothing (hence the initial dialogue). I've had some poor experiences around that, too. But - it's an expensive decision to replace the engine, and (correct me if I'm wrong), this is not a decision the dealer can make on their own. Stuttgart will have been involved, and if that's their conclusion, I'd go with it.

i will have another chat with them tomorrow....will report back. 

My Cayenne TTS engine was $50k all said and done. You can imagine the cost of a GT3 engine...

About 50% more installed, I think...

--

73 Carrera RS 2.7 Carbon Fiber replica (1,890 lbs), 06 EVO9 with track mods. Former: 16 Cayman GT4, 73 911S, Two 951S's, 996 C2, 993 C2, 98 Ferrari 550, 79 635CSi

here is something for your entertainment:::))) i talked to my PZ today (boss of workshop) and he told me that he has just received an email from PAG regarding new directives on how to deal with oil consumption cases in the 991.1 GT3RS engines. they (PAG) say that everything below 0.8l / 100km is considered normal (no, i did not make a typo with zeros, in words: zero point eight liters per hundred kilometers!!!!!!). furthermore the mail from PAG said 'after 10K km the oil consumption it is to be expected to get somewhat reduced'. this is a - bad - joke. i have not heard of a modern engine with that kind of oil consumption, just impossible. i feel they are taking me for a ride.

That's got to be a mistake and be per 1000km. It would be something like a 12:1 fuel to oil ratio otherwise! 2-strokes don't even run that 

--

DaveGordon:

That's got to be a mistake and be per 1000km. It would be something like a 12:1 fuel to oil ratio otherwise! 2-strokes don't even run that 

i asked three times and got the data i posted. but i agree with you.....tomorrow i shall  clarify. peter

I drive almost 600km a week, that would be 4 quart a week or $45, over $2k a year in oil. That number is absolutely ridiculous.

pmarkow:

here is something for your entertainment:::))) i talked to my PZ today (boss of workshop) and he told me that he has just received an email from PAG regarding new directives on how to deal with oil consumption cases in the 991.1 GT3RS engines. they (PAG) say that everything below 0.8l / 100km is considered normal (no, i did not make a typo with zeros, in words: zero point eight liters per hundred kilometers!!!!!!). furthermore the mail from PAG said 'after 10K km the oil consumption it is to be expected to get somewhat reduced'. this is a - bad - joke. i have not heard of a modern engine with that kind of oil consumption, just impossible. i feel they are taking me for a ride.

You need a trailer full of oil to manage that kind of oil consumptionSmiley

--

997TT RS Tuning stage II(sold),2011 Cayenne Turbo(sold),waiting 991 GT3 RS

DaveGordon:

2-strokes don't even run that 

SmileySmileySmiley

That has got to be a mistake, you cant be putting in a bottle of 4L of oil every time you fill up at the gas station  1325269639981rolleyes.gif

--

⇒ Carlos - Porsche 991 Carrera GTS

Carlos from Spain:
    DaveGordon:

SmileySmileySmiley

That has got to be a mistake, you cant be putting in a bottle of 4L of oil every time you fill up at the gas station  1325269639981rolleyes.gif

you would think so. :::))))

pmarkow:
    Carlos from Spain:
    DaveGordon:

SmileySmileySmiley

you would think so. :::))))

Apart from that, how much oil does it take to get the GT3's reservoir from minimum to maximum reading?  It would probably force you to refill it every 200 km, therefore rather implausible.

pmarkow:

I call the bluff. 

Ask him to show you that email.

I just talked to my foreman and he was like WTF. He was like in the most serious RACE condition and it wouldn't even be 0.8L/100km. Nor 1000km.

Spec says 1500km per litre. And that's the worse case scenario where the car is rarely driven, and the engine hasn't has time to properly warm up and expand, and burns oil that way. Well used ones rarely burn any oil.

My RS for the year I had it never needed oil.

My 911R with 4200km on never needed oil, yet. The gauge still reads 3/4 to 1/2 full.

--

How is it that Porsche recommended replacing your engine because I'd unusual oil consumption and shortly thereafter say it's normal. You and your dealer are not communicating very well.enlightened

My suggestion is to ask to speak with regional service representative.

--

"A man wrapped up in himself makes for a very small bundle."

pmarkow:

I would contact PAG directly with this BS and tell them what the boss of the workshop told you. 

Personally, if the boss of the workshop would tell me that, I would never trust him again because it would be a clear sign that he has no clue about cars. Smiley Even if it is a typo, someone with experience (and common sense in his profession), would never believe that and try to find out if this is a typo or not.

Incompetence is the one thing I despise most in life. I take it very personal when someone is incompetent in his profession.

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Carrera 4 GTS Cabriolet (2015), Porsche Cayenne S Diesel (2017), Audi R8 V10 Plus (2016), Mini JCW (2015)

RC:
    pmarkow:

I would contact PAG directly with this BS and tell them what the boss of the workshop told you. 

Personally, if the boss of the workshop would tell me that, I would never trust him again because it would be a clear sign that he has no clue about cars. Smiley Even if it is a typo, someone with experience (and common sense in his profession), would never believe that and try to find out if this is a typo or not.

Incompetence is the one thing I despise most in life. I take it very personal when someone is incompetent in his profession.

exactly!!!!!

Spec says 1500km per litre. And that's the worse case scenario where the car is rarely driven, and the engine hasn't has time to properly warm up and expand, and burns oil that way. Well used ones rarely burn any oil.

My RS for the year I had it never needed oil.

My 911R with 4200km on never needed oil, yet. The gauge still reads 3/4 to 1/2 full.

SmileySmiley

RC:
    pmarkow:

Amen !!!!

so here is the next part of the comedy (tragedy?). i called the PZ again this morning, talked to the workshop head again and insisted on him reading me the email from PAG. it said 0.8l /100km until 10K km are reached. he agreed to me that this is nonsense (today he agreed more than yesterday:::)))) and promised action. an hour later i got a phone call from PAG. the technical person said that there were mistakes in the email to vienna and it should have said this: after 10K km the normal consumption range of oil is up to 0.8l / 1000km, before 10K km are reached the oil consumption can be higher. how high is not specified. the agreement now is that i keep a log for 3K km (until the car is around 11K km) and then we decide how to solve the problem.

let us see:::))))

pmarkow:

so here is the next part of the comedy (tragedy?). i called the PZ again this morning, talked to the workshop head again and insisted on him reading me the email from PAG. it said 0.8l /100km until 10K km are reached. he agreed to me that this is nonsense (today he agreed more than yesterday:::)))) and promised action. an hour later i got a phone call from PAG. the technical person said that there were mistakes in the email to vienna and it should have said this: after 10K km the normal consumption range of oil is up to 0.8l / 1000km, before 10K km are reached the oil consumption can be higher. how high is not specified. the agreement now is that i keep a log for 3K km (until the car is around 11K km) and then we decide how to solve the problem.

Now this sounds much more reasonable now. Smiley

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Carrera 4 GTS Cabriolet (2015), Porsche Cayenne S Diesel (2017), Audi R8 V10 Plus (2016), Mini JCW (2015)

I would still argue that the workshop manager should have asked himself whether such info was something he would communicate enlightened

tso:

I would still argue that the workshop manager should have asked himself whether such info was something he would communicate enlightened

Smiley They don't care... Smiley Why loose time with a customer?! Smiley

--

RC:
    tso:

Smiley They don't care... Smiley Why loose time with a customer?! Smiley

there you go.

pmarkow:

Hi, back from Palma and catching up. I'm also on the log and my mechanics got the exact same message from PAG regarding the oil consumption. (The second message, not the first given by your dealer..Smiley)So right now it seems that PAG is sending out the same message regarding this. I'm not fully liking the message, so I will be on to them regarding this. I will keep you updated on the development here in the north regarding this. Soon time for som track time again, then we will see if my (new)engine continues to consume oil as a German on October fest....SmileySmiley

The farmer:
    pmarkow:

Hi, back from Palma and catching up. I'm also on the log and my mechanics got the exact same message from PAG regarding the oil consumption. (The second message, not the first given by your dealer..Smiley)So right now it seems that PAG is sending out the same message regarding this. I'm not fully liking the message, so I will be on to them regarding this. I will keep you updated on the development here in the north regarding this. Soon time for som track time again, then we will see if my (new)engine continues to consume oil as a German on October fest....SmileySmiley

great please keep me posted

FYI:

https://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3-gt3rs-and-911r/993129-concerned-owners-group-meeting-in-atlanta.html

From Rennlist:

As you may know, a Concerned Owners Group was established out of concerns regarding the reliability of the 991.1 engine. We sent a letter to Porsche in early May requesting a meeting with them to discuss our concerns.

Porsche has graciously accepted our request for a meeting to discuss the "finger follower" issue. The meeting will be held in Atlanta at a mutually agreed date. The Porsche delegation will include a number of executives from Porsche Cars North America, as well as at least one senior technical expert from Porsche AG who is qualified to address our concerns directly.

Our delegation will include up to 5 members from our group. Please PM me if you are interested in joining our delegation in Atlanta, along with your available dates. Priority will be given to current 991.1 GT3 owners who have experienced this issue first hand. We would also like to have at least one RS owner present, if possible. Most likely the meeting will take place on a Thursday, so please keep that in mind. 

I will be updating the COG thread shortly, but I wanted to make sure all members of the group saw this update. 

Rob

COG thread:

https://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3-gt3rs-and-911r/987786-991-gt3-concerned-owners-group-19.html

Kobalt:

FYI:

https://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3-gt3rs-and-911r/993129-concerned-owners-group-meeting-in-atlanta.html

From Rennlist:

As you may know, a Concerned Owners Group was established out of concerns regarding the reliability of the 991.1 engine. We sent a letter to Porsche in early May requesting a meeting with them to discuss our concerns.

Porsche has graciously accepted our request for a meeting to discuss the "finger follower" issue. The meeting will be held in Atlanta at a mutually agreed date. The Porsche delegation will include a number of executives from Porsche Cars North America, as well as at least one senior technical expert from Porsche AG who is qualified to address our concerns directly.

Our delegation will include up to 5 members from our group. Please PM me if you are interested in joining our delegation in Atlanta, along with your available dates. Priority will be given to current 991.1 GT3 owners who have experienced this issue first hand. We would also like to have at least one RS owner present, if possible. Most likely the meeting will take place on a Thursday, so please keep that in mind. 

I will be updating the COG thread shortly, but I wanted to make sure all members of the group saw this update. 

Rob

COG thread:

https://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3-gt3rs-and-911r/987786-991-gt3-concerned-owners-group-19.html

at least PAG goes on record admitting there is a problem,

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    690435 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    409719 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255942 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    235247 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65641 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4657 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

858378 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    774646 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM