Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 - Turbo Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: 997 Turbo - Rennteam Review

Thank you Christian! The most profound feature about the 997 Turbo I've read.

Very good review, this car needs about 200 more horsepower! I am a 997TT owner and agree with this well written article.

Quote:
    zzboba said:
    Quote:
    MKSGR said:
    Quote:
    RC said:

I doubt however that the Ferrari 599 will be what you're looking for.

I am afraid there is no alternative

A fairly reliable source told me that the Powerkit will NOT be available in 2007

I.e., in case of the 997TT I would have to order a car without knowing anything about its performance... I must admit that I lost my confidence in Porsche following the launch of the somehow disappointing 997TT. In that context I am not inclined to give them the benefit of the doubt - that is to order a 997TTx50 and HOPE that its performance will be OK and that the car WOULD be availble in 2008.

What about the Bugatti?

The Bugatti dealer refused to give me any discount

I appreciate that you took the time to prepare this

Well done! When all is said and done, this is the line that sums up my feelings, as well:

"the 997 Turbo is the best compromise for my needs"

I believe that by that definition, it is a "tour de force"

hey zzoboda, have you been in Vienna last week?

RC, nice review. Where did you leave your photo camera?

Quote:
    zzboba said:
    Quote:
    Rossi said:
    Unfortunately this successor will most probably come at the price of a GT2...

But (hopefully) not with the GT2's depreciation

Hmm, right as well.

Gents, here is a man with so much experience, integrity and honesty. He owns one of the most ultimate sports cars and yet he is not partial and very unbiased. RC is humble and expresses his true feeling about the car. Bravo! Thanks for the update and the fantastic review. Good or bad after reading RC's review I am not sure if I will get the 997TT unless I get my hands on some easy cash 1st. I paid about $93K for my 06 997s and with the depreciation on the car if I get a 997TT I will need at least $60K to trade my car off. So I am thinking why not keep the 997S and buy anther car for $60-$70K??? Thanks so much again for another aspiring review, you certainly are very highly regarded by all of us on this forum.

Superb report RC! Well worth waiting for.

I would be interested to read if you could compare the suspension you had on the 997S with the suspension on your 997TT. Is there anything else on your 997S which you miss?

Great report RC It is very nice to read an informative and detailed report from the owner's perspective. All in all its a great car with a lot to offer, perhaps more than the competition even if the performance is on par with the competition.

Re: I appreciate that you took the time to prepare this

Quote:
    Alan(NJ) said:
    Well done! When all is said and done, this is the line that sums up my feelings, as well:

"the 997 Turbo is the best compromise for my needs"

I believe that by that definition, it is a "tour de force"

I must agree that it is a real "tour de force" to make such versatile sports car that is the cleanest, with six air bag, back seats and storage compartiment, the list could go on and on...

RC-thanks for honest review with detailed pro's and con's. especially the con's because that is something that car magazine will not tell you (in fear of pissing off porsche) and is something you will find out after paying for the car.

Thanks RC great review!!! I think Porsche has come a long way in terms of fit, finish, and dependability with the 997 line, now I think it's time for them to concentrate on dominating the world again in terms of performance and power to weight ratio!

Quote:
    rhino said:
    Thanks RC great review!!! I think Porsche has come a long way in terms of fit, finish, and dependability with the 997 line, now I think it's time for them to concentrate on dominating the world again in terms of performance and power to weight ratio!

Very true. The F430 successor will not be playing around and the 550 bhp FSI Gallardo could prove to be deadly with the right gearing, even to the Turbo powerkit. I just wonder where it's going to stop.

Quote:
    Crash said:
    Very true. The F430 successor will not be playing around and the 550 bhp FSI Gallardo could prove to be deadly with the right gearing, even to the Turbo powerkit. I just wonder where it's going to stop.

Well, Porsche wouldn't have too much headache to put 600 hp in the 997 Turbo instantly. Why don't they do that? Why should they? Dumb people like me are buying the 911 Turbo anyway, so why bother with more power, more stress on the parts, higher cost, etc.? Porsche has always been ahead of the competition in the past. When the BMW M3 E36 showed up around 1992 or so, Porsche lost their "leadership" with the 911 for the first time in my opinion. Now more and more companies are entering Porsche performance "domain", look at the Boxster S and Cayman S. They're still very nice performers, especially handling-wise but price-wise and regarding straight-line performance, the competition has closed in dramatically. To be honest: I would rather buy a BMW Z4 M nowadays than a Boxster/Cayman S, sorry to say that. Porsche HAS to understand that it isn't enough to be good, they have to be BETTER. Unfortunately Porsche seems to be very very proud of their products, they fail to see how good the competition has become. Not to forget the Z06 which puts ALL major competitors in the supert sports car liga to shame with it's incredible performance for little money.

If Porsche wants to know what customers want, they should ask US and not the marketing people, sorry to say that. Maybe they should even listen to their dealers from time to time...

Someday...all our cars will be able to fly to the moon and back at hyperwarp speeds. Cars nowadays are getting faster and faster but where does it all end?

Great review, RC. Thanks for taking the time to write it.

Quote:
    atomic80 said:

Thanks but to be honest, it isn't as good as I hoped it will be, there are still some language issues, it doesn't "look" too well and the pictures are missing too. I hope to deliver the REAL thing by the middle of next month, (real life) work is still killing me and I don't know where to start and where to finish.

Quote:
    RC said:
    Quote:
    atomic80 said:

Thanks but to be honest, it isn't as good as I hoped it will be, there are still some language issues, it doesn't "look" too well and the pictures are missing too. I hope to deliver the REAL thing by the middle of next month, (real life) work is still killing me and I don't know where to start and where to finish.

There are no perceptible errors in the report (okay, if somebody really wants to go over it with a magnifying glass...) and I really enjoyed it. If you ever decide to change carreers, writing car reviews might not be such a bad choice .
    Regarding the performance numbers, it isn't you who is dumb, it's Porsche who keeps risking losing such enthusiastic buyers to their greed. I mean, come on! You have three cars in your household, all of them are Porsches and two of them are two of the most expensive Porsches available at the moment (997TT and CTT). If you consider yourself to be dumb for buying such a car, regardless of its impressive performance, then Porsche should really look deep and hard into its business practices. After all, one can only go so far before growing disillusioned with even the most powerful of ideals (Porsche in this case). I just hope they're smart enough to offer you a powerkit retrofit for a normal price, when it comes.

One thing to think about is...car manufacturers will continue to make their cars faster but will the average person that buys these cars have the ability to drive these cars without killing themselves? 99% of the world's population would probably kill themselves if they don't keep themselves in check when driving these cars. What amazes me about Porsche is that they've managed to instill a huge safety margin in their cars so that folks who drive them won't go out and kill themselves within the first couple of miles. That was the factor that I considered when I drove these cars. How safe I felt when driving these confidence inspiring cars. The big question is how confidence inspiring should these cars be without managing to get their drivers killed.

Excellent, concise and good subjective review that almost exactly reflects my own opinions and criticisms of the TT.
    Probably like every other Porsche fan spending countless hours reading and re-reading road test reports by journalists and posts on forums, I had been expecting something more of the 997 TT.
    Unfortunately, I only have test driven a demonstrator for about 1.45 hours on a fair mix of back roads / dual highways, and I suffered from the 'is it only me' syndrome during my [manual] test drive, when realizing several times I could feel the delay [lag] before the anticipated engine power delivery matched the throttle action I had applied, thumped me in the back and delivered me onward with increased vitesse - not quite 'hello engine room is anybody awake back there' time delay that I previously experienced with my 993 TT - but more than I had been led into believing of the new TT. My recollection was that solely EVO mag had filed slightly negative comments about turbo lag.
    I was also found that the understeer, steering response, 4wd apportioning and just damn seat of the pants confidence that I have enjoyed so much in the C4S, was lacking in the TT, even more so when the sport mode was activated.
    To me, the most disconcerting part of the compromises that Porsche engineers have signed-off is that boost is only activated in conjunction with the harder suspension setting. On roads where I would want to use a little extra boost, engaging it [which has incidentally now been shown on the dyno to increase torque but not hp], hardens the suspension to a setting which makes it too edgy to enjoy.
    I wasn't expecting the anti-lag, launch control or suspension tuning of a WRC contender but I am left wondering what might have been.
    And yes; I still have the TT on order, can't wait to drive it on my favourite highways without some crusty salesperson sat twitching in the passenger seat, putting some miles on it, then spending time and money dialing in that little extra engine response, fine tuning handling and suspension, and changing the exhaust.
    Perhaps that's the way it should have been manufactured in the first place - but I'm only one in a long line of paying customers - and hey, what happened to those customer clinics where a chosen few got to drive pre-production and critique the model before final sign-off?

With regards to much of the malcontent in terms of performance: the most glaring silver lining to all of this is the veritable ease to which one can tune the Turbo, compared to the competition.

Barring cataclysmic collisions with the "integrated network" (PASM, PSM, EAWD etc etc), simple ECU chipping can get the turbo in the mid 500s. A little more in terms of headers/exhaust/turbos will hit low 600s.

Extracting this from the competition would be painstakingly expensive/ill advised. Granted, any aftermarket mods are in the "all bets are off" territory, the Turbo has the most headroom, if you will.

I think a simple ECU and some H&R Springs would make the 997 what a lot of people thought it should have been...

Great post

Nice and honest review.

On the cons I would add no iPod hookup and no phone bluetooth integration.
    I understand they are not needed on a GT3, but the 997TT is now obviously more GT than pure sports track car.

What is your take on the not announced Audi R8 V10 compared to the 997TT?

RC,

If you were to order your 997tt again today which would you do:

1) order tiptronic again
    2) order 6-speed
    3) wait for DSG ?

Thanks.

Thanks a lot RC,is the best review i read that tell all,good and bad!

in the next month i hope to can write something about my manual Turbo,and the comparison with my former 996TT

Quote:
    RC said:
    Quote:
    Crash said:

Well, Porsche wouldn't have too much headache to put 600 hp in the 997 Turbo instantly. Why don't they do that? Why should they?

Maybe as some people (like me) do no longer buy Porsche but competing products

BTW: We are all "opinion leaders": If I am frustrated about Porsche, "everbody" (friends, business contacts) will know it. And our opinion will typically have an impact on those who are less focused on certain car brands. Porsche is playing a dangerous game.

Quote:
    MKSGR said:
    Quote:
    RC said:
    Quote:
    Crash said:

Well, Porsche wouldn't have too much headache to put 600 hp in the 997 Turbo instantly. Why don't they do that? Why should they?

BTW: We are all "opinion leaders": If I am frustrated about Porsche, "everbody" (friends, business contacts) will know it. And our opinion will typically have an impact on those who are less focused on certain car brands. Porsche is playing a dangerous game.

It may be the truth that we are opinion leaders, the question is will Porsche (or Ferrari, or any other sportscar manufacturer) listen?

Quote:
    RC said:
    If Porsche wants to know what customers want, they should ask US and not the marketing people, sorry to say that.

Why should they only listen to the USA?

... just kidding, BTW great review, Christian, very honest and precise as always and very much appreciated.

And the answer to that question is pretty simple-NO!
    Why? Because some of their Marketing "Wizzards" are too arogant and too clever for most of us...
    As long as there are enough costumers who will not complain about their cars they will continue to produce "sportscars tuned by marketing departments". Sorry to say but, this is the fact(more in some manufactures case, less in others... ).

Quote:
    KresoF1 said:
    And the answer to that question is pretty simple-NO!
    Why? Because some of their Marketing "Wizzards" are too arogant and too clever for most of us...
    As long as there are enough costumers who will not complain about their cars they will continue to produce "sportscars tuned by marketing departments". Sorry to say but, this is the fact(more in some manufactures case, less in others... ).

I absolutely agree, Kreso. Sad but true.

Quote:
    MKSGR said:
    Quote:
    RC said:
    Quote:
    Crash said:

I wonder what the GT2 will do for you. If it really gets the 3.8 litre engine and 530 bhp, it should be quite a performer (100 kg less than the Turbo and 50 bhp more), but whether it will be able to hang with the 599 and the LP640 is another story (the old one could, in comparison to the 575).

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    688829 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    408832 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255585 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    234837 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65428 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4638 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

857682 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    773581 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM