Crown

Forum - Thread

Re: GT3 engine issues again?

RC:
    The farmer:

So, the new engine works ok, but one thing is annoying. After running it in for about 3.000km (no need really, but did it anyway since the spring been awful up herelaugh), I've now started to USE the car again. Quit a busy schedule with in total 10 track days (Sweden,Norway and Estonia) the last 3 1/2 weeks and a total of about 2900 km on track and the car devours oilheart 4,5 l during the track driving run. PAG says it's all fine and nothing can be said until the engine has run for about 10.000 km.....

Is it possible that Porsche "re-adjusted" lubrication for the 991.1 GT3 engine? Smiley Smiley 

1.5 l oil / 1000 km is a tiny bit much for late generation Porsche engines...

my RS is at 0.75 -1 l oil/1000km. the PZ says 'normal according to PAG. too much according to me. in fact they offered me an engine swap. a funny reaction to 'normal'.

peter

ps: forgot to say, no track work, just road driving.

pmarkow:
    in fact they offered me an engine swap. a funny reaction to 'normal'.

did you accept?

no way 0.75-1 Liter per 1000 km is normal - I would accept immediately

however, one Thing I would love to add. I have in my neighborhood quite some fancy cars from all sorts of Ferraris , various Porsches to high end Merc and Audi RS6's in various specs etc . One Thing I notice way to frequently......as soon as People come out of their Garage their drive off like the engine is warm.... I mean whats the Point in going to 5000 rpm in 1st gear the moment you enter a main road ?????? I am not implying here that People do this - but to me personally it would explain lots of problems...... - strangely since i am warming up all my cars very carefully I have only smalles of oil comsumption from the Mercedes Diesel to RS engines.....yes

BjoernB:

however, one Thing I would love to add. I have in my neighborhood quite some fancy cars from all sorts of Ferraris , various Porsches to high end Merc and Audi RS6's in various specs etc . One Thing I notice way to frequently......as soon as People come out of their Garage their drive off like the engine is warm.... I mean whats the Point in going to 5000 rpm in 1st gear the moment you enter a main road ?????? I am not implying here that People do this - but to me personally it would explain lots of problems...... - strangely since i am warming up all my cars very carefully I have only smalles of oil comsumption from the Mercedes Diesel to RS engines.....yes

Very true... Smiley

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Carrera 4 GTS Cabriolet (2015), Porsche Cayenne S Diesel (2017), Audi R8 V10 Plus (2016), Mini JCW (2015)

RC:
    BjoernB:

Very true... Smiley

i warm up my engine very carefully, always. and i did not accept the engine swap offer so far since the car will be sold anyway when the 488GTO comes along (i hear stronger and stronger rumors for  frankfurt 2017).

BjoernB:

Not the explanation for my consumption, I'm always careful to have the engine up to running temp before any hard reving. But interesting to hear what PAG told Peter.... HmmmmSmileySmiley Maybe PAG is in to alternative normal...???Smiley

The farmer:
    BjoernB:

Not the explanation for my consumption, I'm always careful to have the engine up to running temp before any hard reving. But interesting to hear what PAG told Peter.... HmmmmSmileySmiley Maybe PAG is in to alternative normal...???Smiley

PAG did not tell me much....they started out saying that it is normal. then it was like: we have to fill up the oil and seal it until the warning lights up again. i refused this generous offer saying that i do not keep the car always within reach of a PZ. the next offer was five liters of oil free:::))) the oil consumption then picked up again and the next offer was engine swap. i refused (so far). they said also that they already swapped the engines of two RS with similar issues.

BjoernB:

My RS has 11450kms,i let my dealer make a oil chance at 9000kms,and i NEVER add oil till 0 to 9000,and 9000kms to now.

i made the run in as the hint of someone (AP if i'm not wrong) told.

i warm up well the car,spirited driving some time,was to the MM me too...Smiley no trackdays.

--

997TT RS Tuning stage II(sold),2011 Cayenne Turbo(sold),waiting 991 GT3 RS

Super Darius:
    BjoernB:

My RS has 11450kms,i let my dealer make a oil chance at 9000kms,and i NEVER add oil till 0 to 9000,and 9000kms to now.

i warm up well the car,spirited driving some time,was to the MM me too...Smiley no trackdays.

well, apparently my engine has an issue....but i do not want an engine change since this would take down the value of the car. 

pmarkow:
    Super Darius:
    BjoernB:

well, apparently my engine has an issue....but i do not want an engine change since this would take down the value of the car. 

mmh...if it happen to me,i think i will prefer to change it...i'm not so sure you will loose money...maybe the new owner is more happy with an engine that doesn't burn much oil,also becouse the engine swap i think is a thing you can do with a limited time in the future...then the time is not possibile anymore,you must stay with your engine,good or bar it will run,

think about a few...Smiley

Smiley

--

Super Darius:
    pmarkow:
    Super Darius:
    BjoernB:

mmh...if it happen to me,i think i will prefer to change it...i'm not so sure you will loose money...maybe the new owner is more happy with an engine that doesn't burn much oil,also becouse the engine swap i think is a thing you can do with a limited time in the future...then the time is not possibile anymore,you must stay with your engine,good or bar it will run,

Smiley

yes, i just sent an email to the PZ.  and thanks, will keep you posted. anyway, i really like the GT3RS as a driver's car but i want to get out of porsche and back to ferrari. the 991gt3/rs engine disaster beats me. aside from that i need some car-bling in my life:::))))

pmarkow:
    Super Darius:
    pmarkow:
    Super Darius:
    BjoernB:

Smiley

yes, i just sent an email to the PZ.  and thanks, will keep you posted. anyway, i really like the GT3RS as a driver's car but i want to get out of porsche and back to ferrari. the 991gt3/rs engine disaster beats me. aside from that i need some car-bling in my life:::))))

Good...Smiley

and i understand you well...not so much to come back to Ferrari...but...i can understand how you can be with this engine problem,if it happen to me,i think i will loose some sleep,sure knowing me.Smiley

good evening

--

Super Darius:
    pmarkow:
    Super Darius:
    pmarkow:
    Super Darius:
    BjoernB:

Smiley

Good...Smiley

and i understand you well...not so much to come back to Ferrari...but...i can understand how you can be with this engine problem,if it happen to me,i think i will loose some sleep,sure knowing me.Smiley

good evening

--

well, the ferrari thing is purely subjective. @GT3RS: at least my car did not burn down (yet):::)))). buona notte!

Well, I'll push mine even harder on track and ser what happens. Just need to remember to take out the 3 l oil always in the trunk and leave it in the pit before i start on the track. Warranty until April on the new engine, so either it will settle down its consumption or I'll start make my case for yet another change.blush

Next season I'm hopefully breaking in the GT2 RS and even if my black (yes Nick, black is beutiful kiss) pearl always will have a place in my hart I'm not sure I have enough space to keep it when the .2 GT3 RS arrives, so.....smiley (please note that neither GT2 RS or GT3 RS allocation is confirmed from PAG yet,  just promised from the dealer so far.....surprise).

And if I'm persistent and work hard, I'm hopefully ready for a white GT4 in four or five years....

Next up, a hired Seat on the Spanish roads 

pmarkow:
    Super Darius:
    BjoernB:

You're crazy not to get the engine swapped out. They probably give you additional warranty time. 

For resale replacing the engine make more sense than not doing so. You will be obliged to inform the buyer of the oil issue and the offer from Porsche to replace it. I would rather buy a car with a new engine than one that burns oil and needs to be replaced.Smiley

--

"A man wrapped up in himself makes for a very small bundle."

nberry:
    pmarkow:
    Super Darius:
    BjoernB:

You're crazy not to get the engine swapped out. They probably give you additional warranty time. 

For resale replacing the engine make more sense than not doing so. You will be obliged to inform the buyer of the oil issue and the offer from Porsche to replace it. I would rather buy a car with a new engine than one that burns oil and needs to be replaced.Smiley

x2 I agree with Nick

--

⇒ Carlos - Porsche 991 Carrera GTS

I wonder what your response would be if they offered one of the new .2 GT3 engines?  Lol. 

Leawood911:

I wonder what your response would be if they offered one of the new .2 GT3 engines?  Lol. 

He would say yes but it won't happen. Smiley

Btw: My R8 (15000 km) has an oil consumption of half a liter per 1000 km. Was a bit higher in the beginning. 

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Carrera 4 GTS Cabriolet (2015), Porsche Cayenne S Diesel (2017), Audi R8 V10 Plus (2016), Mini JCW (2015)

Leawood911:

it won't happen but i don't really care. i do not believe all that hype about the new engine. surely a slightly improved GT3RS 991.1 engine, nothing else. 

nberry:
    pmarkow:
    Super Darius:
    BjoernB:

Agree 100%, change the engine and get over with it.

--

J.Seven

Super Darius:
    BjoernB:

5000km on my GT3 RS and no oil has been added so far. The Turbo S doesn't drink any oil either. The Cayenne Turbo is another story with 0.5l every few thousand km.

pmarkow:
    Leawood911:

it won't happen but i don't really care. i do not believe all that hype about the new engine. surely a slightly improved GT3RS 991.1 engine, nothing else. 

Performance-wise I agree, but potentially much more reliable and longer service life (but also potentially worse than RS if some new issue exists...)

--

73 Carrera RS 2.7 Carbon Fiber replica (1,890 lbs), 06 EVO9 with track mods. Former: 16 Cayman GT4, 73 911S, Two 951S's, 996 C2, 993 C2, 98 Ferrari 550, 79 635CSi

+4 for engine change. Its a no brainer... 

--

throt

"I Have Done It!".

991 GT3 pick up in October 2014.

Rennteam Hairy Chest Advisor.

+5, it is just an engine...

The numbers on the car will still match even with an engine change.

Porsche records the new engine number in their system and if one ask for a COA, the new engine number will be listed on the certificate, not the old one. 

It will still be a number matching car, if that's what got you worried.

--

Whoopsy:

The numbers on the car will still match even with an engine change.

Porsche records the new engine number in their system and if one ask for a COA, the new engine number will be listed on the certificate, not the old one. 

It will still be a number matching car, if that's what got you worried.

Plus and surely, he would get all the latest updates.....Its worth it just for that Smiley...

--

throt

"I Have Done It!".

991 GT3 pick up in October 2014.

Rennteam Hairy Chest Advisor.

thanks for your advice guys, highly appreciated and will be well taken into account. but let me get this straight, no other RS here has an oil consumption comparable to mine?

Mine has a very normal oil consumption . Maybe 3 or 4 dl every 5000 km .  Actually it uses less oil then my Carrera S .

--

964 Carrera 4 --  997.2 C2S , -20mm --  991 GT3 RS 

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    763655 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    436057 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    260836 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    257807 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    82569 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5325 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

874716 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    808406 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM