Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Hole in Door Jamb!!!

The other day when I got into my car I noticed a gaping hole in my door jamb. To me it looks like the hole was drilled at the factory and filled with body putty then painted over. Whatever was filling the hole fell out and now I have this bare metal hole. Anybody have any idea what this is? I don't know how they are going to fix it other than filling and painting. I know this will never look like it did when it was new.

I dropped the car off at the dealer this morning, what should I expect them to do? I want them to call the factory and find out why this hole is there and if it's normal. I also want them to fix it to the point where I can't tell it was ever there. I will be very unhappy if I have to see this every time I open the door.

-justin

Re: Hole in Door Jamb!!!

Pic 2

Any shooting in your neighborhood?

Ha!

Did you look what is inside?

Maybe some guys came to collect what they had stuffed in there?

:-) Really though, I looked around my garage and inside the door sill to see if I could find the "plug" that was in there. I found nothing.

I don't realy understand where that hole is on the door. The pic is hard to understand.
    I had a look now at my car, I could not see anything similar.

Quote:
    Gnil said:
    I don't realy understand where that hole is on the door. The pic is hard to understand.
    I had a look now at my car, I could not see anything similar.

You won't have the hole. Open your door and look at the plastic body color piece that is bolted to the door jamb, it's about level with the door handle. It would be there.

That is strange. It looks like it will need a fill at the body shop.

Could it be that that fender was damaged and one of those no paint dent remover guys had to access it that way,--and then filled it poorly?

Dan

That looks like where the engine deck release used to be on the 993!

Did you buy the car new? If you did not, it looks like someone drilled a hole there for some reason, most likely to insert a tool and fix a dented panel. If you purchased the car new, the hole should not be there, and an explanation/compensation is due.

Quote:
    ADias said:
    Did you buy the car new? If you did not, it looks like someone drilled a hole there for some reason, most likely to insert a tool and fix a dented panel. If you purchased the car new, the hole should not be there, and an explanation/compensation is due.

Purchased new with 7 miles on the odometer. The hole was not there when I bought it. To me it looks like the hole was filled and painted over at the factory. I got the in August of 2005. The hole appeared a few weeks back.

Wonder how Porsche will explain thisone on the 10 year perforation warranty

I'm not sure what the exact area your photo shows, and I do not have any holes near / in-line with the handle. I DO have a triangular piece on the door jamb that is bolted in with a single bolt, mates to the corresponding feature in the door, and provides protection in case of an impact into the door. If that bolt were missing along with the triangular piece, I guess there would be a bolt hole or nut there. Just trying to help.

Quote:
    Justin Gay said:
    Quote:
    ADias said:

Purchased new with 7 miles on the odometer. The hole was not there when I bought it. To me it looks like the hole was filled and painted over at the factory. I got the in August of 2005. The hole appeared a few weeks back.

It sounds like that you have to bring that up with your dealer. Keep us posted.

My friend's 997 C4 doesn't have anything like this at all.

Quote:
    ADias said:

That's my bet, too, a hole for paintless dent removal. Whatever the plug was, fell out.

is the picture taken looking towards the rear end of the car?
    it looks to me where that painted triangular piece should be just like stated before.
    I have no idea how it would have fallen off though, there is a torx screw holding it in place that looks like it would fit that hole.

Quote:
    raffi said:
    is the picture taken looking towards the rear end of the car?
    it looks to me where that painted triangular piece should be just like stated before.
    I have no idea how it would have fallen off though, there is a torx screw holding it in place that looks like it would fit that hole.

OK, but even if that is the case... the hole's edges appear rusted. Not a good thing!

Just got off the phone with the dealer. I had a small, I mean tiny ding taken out of the rear quarter panel the last time I was in for service. The dealer is saying that the Dent Wizard guy drilled the hole. The dealer also said they are supposed to council the owner as to what they are going to do to repair the dent. They did not. If they told me they were going to drill a hole in my door frame then I would have lived with this tiny ding. They are going to call me back with options for a solution. What do you guys think I should do here? I'll never feel right knowing that they drilled a hold in the my door frame. Does this affect structural integrity? Resale etc? Should they compensate me in any way? I actually want a new car, is that asking too much? I have 5000 miles on this car, it's a beuatiful 9976 with full leather interior. It now has this permanent blemish that kills me

Justin, your dealer is a disgrace. I feel for you. To think that they would have hidden this from you if you hadn't noticed is just beyond belief.

Unfortunately it looks like this hole has been drilled into the car's actual body shell, ie it does not look like it can be simply replaced, although I really do hope I am wrong on this and it can be fixed. No doubt your dealer will try to tell you it is only cosmetic and not that serious, but this is not the point.

I don't know what it is about this post, I'm normally quite chilled out, but it really pisses me off the way your dealer has treated you here.

Good luck and keep us posted.

That does suck!!! I don't understand why they would leave off a big detail like this.

You need to have this thoroughly documented (as well as repaired) in the Porsche vehicle service records so that when the car starts to rust in that spot everyone will know why it is. The Dent guy violated the ganvanization of the body when he did that.

Dan

Get it documented, get the hole sealed up properly, and don't sweat it. I've got two such holes (sealed) in my 13 year old Corrado driver that I run year round (plenty of winter salt here), and 0 evidence of rust.

You should be compensated!

Quote:
    Justin Gay said:
    Just got off the phone with the dealer. I had a small, I mean tiny ding taken out of the rear quarter panel the last time I was in for service.

Did you know or ask about this ding and wanted it removed? If the answer is no then I am inclined to make the reach that something "bad" happened while your car was in for service and they tried to cover their own mistake. Shame on them if that was the case.

Quote:
    Justin Gay said:
    Just got off the phone with the dealer. I had a small, I mean tiny ding taken out of the rear quarter panel the last time I was in for service. The dealer is saying that the Dent Wizard guy drilled the hole. The dealer also said they are supposed to council the owner as to what they are going to do to repair the dent. They did not. If they told me they were going to drill a hole in my door frame then I would have lived with this tiny ding. They are going to call me back with options for a solution. What do you guys think I should do here?

I've never heard such thing. I just had to read your post twice because I thought I had not understand properly what was going on.

So to repare a dent, they drill a hole ??? WTF is going on at your dealer. What have they been smoking?

I'd ask for another car. Wich buyer or other dealer would buy back your car if they knew there was a freaking hole in it? With the nubmber of 997s out there, the answer is quite simple: no one. You're not just going to loose money here, this car will also be very difficult to sell (if you tell the buyer about it, wich you will have to because it's pior to the sale and you're aware of it)

Unbelievable.

I hate to say it's the American way, but I'd speak with an attorney.....I'd settle only for a replacement vehicle, it's not like it's a 10 year old Ford or something. If they say that there is no-devaluation by the repair method, then let them take it up with the next owner. Sorry it has placed a damper on your purchase.

Weird stuff! I can't look at those pictures for more than a couple of seconds without getting dizzy. There's probably some kind of contest you could win with those.

btw...hope that hole thing gets resolved to your satisfaction but it's a bit much to ask for a new car. Do they make a cork that big?

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    765233 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    437168 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    261372 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    258176 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    82744 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5331 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

877450 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    809674 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM