Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 - Turbo Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Turbo roadtest and impressiosn (part 1)

Very quick post regarding 997 Turbo testdrive (I am very very busy for the next 10 days abroad).
    In a few words, this car is AMAZING!!!
    I have never ever experienced anything like it, incl. the 996 GT2.
    Stupendous performance, I reached 295 in the blink of an eye (when I thought I was at 200!!!) later the owner 315 twice and the max seen on the speedo is 350 (by a journalist on a french motorway)! Yes 350! I am not BSing, those who know me will believe.
    I have an awesome video edited by my mate (journalist and car tester who was with us that day) on the way with great pics.
    We were a few, incl. a 355 (best sound by far) a Maserati MC victory (most comfy), an Elise (most agile), mine (the best ) and the Turbo, the craziest!
    It is seriously an awesome machine.
    It's not picture perfect though. I will elaborate in a later post with the pics and video but in a couple of words, I am not a fan of the turbo lag.
    At any revs, you floor the pedal, and.... Nothing! Followed by hell, unleashed in a savage, brutal manner, crazy car!
    Do I want one? No. I never thought I'd write that, but it's just too perfect. I would simply lose my license in one day.
    You reach you own limits before the car's and for me, it's not what I want, I love controlling the back of my car on country roads, in the Turbo, I'd have to go twice the speed to reach its limits!
    Sound wise, it's basically very quiet from the inside, but sounds great from the outside, those two turbos blowing air with ridiculous force!
    The 4WD system is light years ahead of the one on the Carrera 4, you can feel the car working through tight turns and all the power going to the front wheels then to the back wheels! It's like a rollercoaster ride!
    It's the easiest car I've ever driven and yet somehow scary, you point and shoot, I didn't get the back out, but the owner did and it's a handful at the limit.
    I can see what people say when they say it doesn't feel special, it just looks like a 911 on steroids, so it's discreet, but trust me, it operates on a different level, it's from another planet.
    We had some Ferrari staff with us, and they were lost for words.
    It might not touch everyone's heart, but this car is a masterpiece of engineering.
    Video coming soon probably on the sports car board bc we've got footage of all the cars from that day.

Re: Turbo roadtest and impressiosn (part 1)

Was it manual or Tip ?!

Quote:
    Nick_Athens said:
    Was it manual or Tip ?!

Manual, short shifter, steel brakes.
    The one that reached 350 speedo is another car.
    One other thing that felt different from my car was the clutch, much lighter on the Turbo. Dunno why.

350 km/h in the speedo its posible!?!?!?

Quote:
    xandi911 said:

Actually not very likely. I've driven four different Turbos up til now and I talked to various owners. Maximum speed you'll ever see on the speedo is 326 to 328 kph since the engine hits the rev limiter at around "true" 311-312 kph (which "translates" into 326-328 on the speedo).
    I suppose the owner tuned his car and didn't tell Fanch.
    Or the speedo is faulty. More than "true" ~ 312 kph are impossible due to the rev limiter like I said before.

Quote:
    RC said:
    Quote:
    xandi911 said:

Actually not very likely. I've driven four different Turbos up til now and I talked to various owners. Maximum speed you'll ever see on the speedo is 326 to 328 kph since the engine hits the rev limiter at around "true" 311-312 kph (which "translates" into 326-328 on the speedo).
    Or the speedo is faulty. More than "true" ~ 312 kph are impossible due to the rev limiter like I said before.

I have no reason to lie so that means this guy was talking crap which would be odd but not impossible.
    I trust RC 100% so you must be right.
    We reached however 315 kmh effortlessly and we have a nice video clip to prove it. Coming soon!

Quote:
    Fanch said:
    Quote:
    RC said:
    Quote:
    xandi911 said:

I have no reason to lie so that means this guy was talking crap which would be odd but not impossible.
    I trust RC 100% so you must be right.
    We reached however 315 kmh effortlessly and we have a nice video clip to prove it. Coming soon!

If the guy added a chip to tune it to 540 PS and added a longer 6th gear, 330 km/h or more wouldn't be unlikely.
    Glad to see you like the car .

anybody wondering why the turbo, which for 2 generations now has been very sure footed appears to be a bit finicky with the 997 when cornering @ the limit? wierd...

Funny thing is..when you get it beyond the limit this car...is sensational. I can't believe it's recovery in rainy and wet conditions. It intervenes very well and keeps the car going true.
    Maybe the soft initial cornering is like a two stage trigger..once you pass the first stage your exploring the edge.
    Good thing it intervenes once you misjudge beyond that.I don't know about the rest of you guys but sometimes I act like a pimple face with the keys to the oldmans ride..:-)

Can you imagine what the CGT is like weighing 400pds less, no stability management system and powered by a 610hp engine? If you have a bad case of constipation take a ride in one and you will be cured.

Fanch, I agree with you the power of these cars even with stability systems are reaching perf. levels which only a very few can use safely.

Regarding the loose rear end, I believe the inherent design of the rear engine hanging behind the rear axle may be reaching its limits given the increase in power.

I still hold to the lets get the weight or the back wheels...better transfer of power...to harmonize to the weight. Areo dynamic fronts and the lighter from end steers the ship nicely.

Quote:
    nberry said:I believe the inherent design of the rear engine hanging behind the rear axle may be reaching its limits given the increase in power.

Have you begun smoking crack?

Quote:
    W8MM said:
    Quote:
    nberry said:I believe the inherent design of the rear engine hanging behind the rear axle may be reaching its limits given the increase in power.

Have you begun smoking crack?

I agree, Mike - who remembers the 935

Well Mike, what is your explanation of the squirrelly rearend reported by almost everyone who has driven the car? Maybe they all were Taliban driving the car.

Quote:
    nberry said:
    Well Mike, what is your explanation of the squirrelly rearend reported by almost everyone who has driven the car? Maybe they all were Taliban driving the car.

Man do you exaggerate ..I bet your aunty taught you that

Nick have you ever driven a 997tt... a fully loaded 997tt..PCCB's and all. That car is far from on the margin...far from it..:-)

Quote:
    nberry said:
    Well Mike, what is your explanation of the squirrelly rearend ...

Don't you mean hamster and not squirrel?

Quote:
    W8MM said:
    Quote:
    nberry said:

The only Ham around here is Nick

Quote:
    Crash said:
    If the guy added a chip to tune it to 540 PS and added a longer 6th gear, 330 km/h or more wouldn't be unlikely.

Yes. One reason I await with anticipation details of the 997GT2 is to see how Porsche plans to "tune" the 997TT further-?bigger VTG's with bigger intercooler-as at least one tuner has already done-since this could give us a clue on how Porsche plans to make the 997TTS, and would also influence all the major tuners around the world and how they plan to package their 997TT high-HP upgrades.

Quote:
    Fanch said:
    I will elaborate in a later post with the pics and video but in a couple of words, I am not a fan of the turbo lag.

Of course this is just my personal preference, but the turbo lag to me is what gives the 911Turbo its charm. If I want to drive it in a "civilized" manner (admittedly rarely ) I can keep the gear selected up, with rev's below 3,000 so boost is modest, but with the manual tranny and a simple downshift, keeping rev's 4,000 or higher, enables me to floor it with boost up to 1.2bar or more and WHAM! More fun than a roller coaster ride.

I have had every turbo since an 89 930 and my new 997tt is the surest, most positive, least finicky of them all. It is a delight to get into and I find the advancements in handling very positive. It still has lag, but is more linear in acceleration than the previous models. I have never felt the lag to be a bid deal since the 993 because the twins brought it down to where it is not that great when one is operating in the performance range of the engine (i.e. not poking along and push the accelerator).

Quote:
    DJB said:
    I have had every turbo since an 89 930 and my new 997tt is the surest, most positive, least finicky of them all. It is a delight to get into and I find the advancements in handling very positive. It still has lag, but is more linear in acceleration than the previous models. I have never felt the lag to be a bid deal since the 993 because the twins brought it down to where it is not that great when one is operating in the performance range of the engine (i.e. not poking along and push the accelerator).

Similarly, don't know of a latest/greatest F/MB that's not the surest, most positive, least finicky of them all ....aren't tech advances and competition great in forcing The Big 3 to develop faster, safer, more daily-usable cars in every new gen?????

Personally, find 997TT's turbo lag so annoying, esp in urban fwy commuting where one often wants effortless 60-120MPH bursts, that I've chosen '07 SL65 (which lacks apparent turbo lag) for dry weather, straight-line commute duty; 599 will be wkend twisties car w/its enjoyable, fast paddleshifter tranny and charismatic sportscar exhaust note; and 997TT will be the rainy day AWD SUV commuter car (perhaps its Prius Turbo exhaust note will allow me to use the faster hybrid/car pool-only fwy lanes ).....division of labor by core competencies.....

Quote:
    Turbo Al said:
    Of course this is just my personal preference, but the turbo lag to me is what gives the 911Turbo its charm.

I completely agree.

Quote:
    VKSF said:
    Quote:
    DJB said:

Similarly, don't know of a latest/greatest F/MB that's not the surest, most positive, least finicky of them all ....aren't tech advances and competition great in forcing The Big 3 to develop faster, safer, more daily-usable cars in every new gen?????

Personally, find 997TT's turbo lag so annoying, esp in urban fwy commuting where one often wants effortless 60-120MPH bursts, that I've chosen '07 SL65 (which lacks apparent turbo lag) for dry weather, straight-line commute duty;

Does it have more or less turbo lag than the 996TT?

Quote:
    Turbo Al said:
    Quote:
    Crash said:

Yes. One reason I await with anticipation details of the 997GT2 is to see how Porsche plans to "tune" the 997TT further-?bigger VTG's with bigger intercooler-as at least one tuner has already done-since this could give us a clue on how Porsche plans to make the 997TTS, and would also influence all the major tuners around the world and how they plan to package their 997TT high-HP upgrades.

I strongly believe, from what we've heard around here on Rennteam, that the Turbo S/GT2 engine will have 3,8 litres, equal-size turbochargers to those in the standard Turbo and some extra goodies to make the more power. In a sense, that would be ideal. More power and less lag .

Like I said in my other posts, the 997TT is great for urban commute. Its top notch 0-100-0 performance says it all.

It's nice to feel alive in a car with such power, traction, cornering ability and brakes. And I only have the regular brakes with tiptronic.

Quote:
    LoranTw said:
    Quote:
    W8MM said:
    Quote:
    nberry said:

To my knowledge of all the reviewers of the 997TT only a female reporting for Autoweek failed to mention the problematic rearend. Anyone that has driven the car near limit has experienced the problem.

Facts only the facts.

BTW I have not driven the 997TT and have no interest in doing so. I suspect it is very much like the 996TT which I have driven but faster.

Quote:
    nberry said:
    Quote:
    LoranTw said:
    Quote:
    W8MM said:
    Quote:
    nberry said:

To my knowledge of all the reviewers of the 997TT only a female reporting for Autoweek failed to mention the problematic rearend. Anyone that has driven the car near limit has experienced the problem.

Facts only the facts.

BTW I have not driven the 997TT and have no interest in doing so. I suspect it is very much like the 996TT which I have driven but faster.

You have no interest in doing so ...yet you continuously hang around and take up space nattering on about a car... YOU KNOW NOTHING ABOUT and admittedly don't even have an interest to drive Are things a little slow in lawlawland

Quote:
    Turbo Al said:
    Quote:
    Fanch said:
    I will elaborate in a later post with the pics and video but in a couple of words, I am not a fan of the turbo lag.

Of course this is just my personal preference, but the turbo lag to me is what gives the 911Turbo its charm. If I want to drive it in a "civilized" manner (admittedly rarely ) I can keep the gear selected up, with rev's below 3,000 so boost is modest, but with the manual tranny and a simple downshift, keeping rev's 4,000 or higher, enables me to floor it with boost up to 1.2bar or more and WHAM! More fun than a roller coaster ride.

Yes it is indeed a matter of taste. I wouldn't want max torque to arrive mid corner with bad visibility.
    Although the power delivery of the car is mighty impressive, I much prefer the instant response of an NA engine. With the latter, the right pedal seems connected to the brain.

Nick,
    The rear engine layout has not reached its limits at all, I am just pointing out that with such an advanced 4WD system the limits of the car are only reachable at insane speeds and whent they come, they come brutally, unlike my 2WD car with which you can progressively control the back getting out.
    Different styles for different tastes.
    The GT2 will not be suitable for all drivers, that's for sure.

Quote:
    LoranTw said:
    Quote:
    nberry said:
    Quote:
    LoranTw said:
    Quote:
    W8MM said:
    Quote:
    nberry said:

Facts only the facts.

You have no interest in doing so ...yet you continuously hang around and take up space nattering on about a car... YOU KNOW NOTHING ABOUT and admittedly don't even have an interest to drive Are things a little slow in lawlawland

Loran, I have no doubt had I had kind words to say about the 997TT your above remarks would never have been published.

Additionally, please take note that I have made it clear that all my comments are based on what others have said and experienced in the 997TT. Most on this board share experiences and opinions though they may have not actually driven or SEEN the car they are commenting on. Driving the 996TT was enough for me to make a judgment that it is not my kind of car. Too sterile.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    782126 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    442913 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    263523 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    261960 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    86021 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    6033 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

881700 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    819858 3868
    Porsche GT4RS 4/21/24 11:50 AM