Crown

Board: Porsche - Boxster Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Specing a Boxster S with full leather??

Am about to spec up my boxster s, which will arrive 1st jan, have added most important extras, and this has taken the price to just over Pounds50,000, did not know if i should also add full leather, ie; dash, doors etc to the spec? the normal dash seems ok to the touch, any comments would be welcome!!

Re: Specing a Boxster S with full leather??

Quote:
    grant.uk said:
    Am about to spec up my boxster s, which will arrive 1st jan

Sounds like the perfect start into the new year Congrats on your decision to get the Boxster S
    I'm not familiar with the UK pricelist, but 50 k sounds like a very very nice specced car
    IMO the only acceptable interior colour for a non full leather Porsche is black (the lighter colours look to plasticky in my eyes - but that's just me) - also, if you get the sport seats there is a discount if you get full leather.
    After 13,000 km in my full leather Cocoa 987 S I never would go back - it's such a joy to see and feel the leather everywhere and I really love the stitches.

What other options have you gone for?

Quote:
    grant.uk said:
    if i should also add full leather, ie; dash, doors etc to the spec? the normal dash seems ok to the touch, any comments would be welcome!!

Full leather is definitely worth having. I had it on my first Boxster and have not hesitated to have it again. It gives the cockpit a wonderful quality ambience, and you lose that horrid mid facia top join that you get in the standard interior. As Porsche-jeck said I love the stitching detail on top of the doors and either side of the central console. Full leather is almost essential if you are having a light interior such as sand beige. I'd have it in preference to bigger wheels as you can't see those when you are driving!

Be interested to hear your spec choice.

I think dreamcar's point about being able to get more pleasure from the leather you can see than the wheels you can't is really good. But only if the wheels don't add to the driving pleasure of course - which I'm not sure 19's would. Unfortunately I just couldn't afford it so I've had to spec my S without it. At least I've gone for black though.

I have it on my car and really like it. But if I had a choice between a performance option or the leather, performance is the way to go. On the other hand if won't break your bank, then I say go for it.

Pounds50k on a 987 and no full leather ? - WOW

I'd say full leather on an S unless you have a low budget and really working to a low spec price of Pounds43k ish. The plastics are much better in the 987 than the previous 986 - two OPCs told me you must go full leather with sand beige as they detest the plastics in that colour. Its personal choice, full leather is nice and yu get to see it every mile you drive, but don't expect any extra money for it come resale.

Full spec list required! Quite a feat to take it over Pounds50k...
    IMHO, Spec the lowest speaker option you can. If you really like your sound, get it attended to properly aftermarket, but most of the time you're not going to have it on anyway.

But the original question was about the Full Leather. I would say yes if not Black. If Black, then just spec the touchy-feely bits (Wheel, front and rear centre console, door pockets). If not Black, consider also speccing the Rear Centre Console in leather, or exterior colour.

I have Sand full leather with RCC in leather, but current fav (having seen it in the flesh at last) is Cocoa, like Porsche-Jeck's. Gives the cabin some warmth without showing dirt as much. Although at least with the Sand you can tell when it needs cleaning!

Please post the full spec list!

Quote:
    wtsnet said:
    I have Sand full leather with RCC in leather, but current fav (having seen it in the flesh at last) is Cocoa, like Porsche-Jeck's.

I still love the Cocoa and it really doesn't show dust very much - BTW there are some nice pics on the Cayman Board postet by Nick (from Vienna, not from La Jolla )
    - Slate/Cocoa IMO another very nice combo (second behind Seal/Cocoa )

Agree with you that it would be nice to see the full spec list. For me it's hard to imagine a 50 k GBP Boxster S without full leather (but maybe it's just me and Porsche managed to teach me how to become a leather fetishist... )

Quote:
    wtsnet said:
    Quite a feat to take it over Pounds50k...

No it isn't! I can tell you from recent personal experience

Quote:
    dreamcar said:
    Quote:
    wtsnet said:
    Quite a feat to take it over Pounds50k...

No it isn't! I can tell you from recent personal experience

That's what happens when you add PCM I guess! I'm just as happy with a Pounds4.99 map and Pounds2k in my pocket.

Quote:
    dreamcar said:
    Quote:
    grant.uk said:
    if i should also add full leather, ie; dash, doors etc to the spec? the normal dash seems ok to the touch, any comments would be welcome!!

It gives the cockpit a wonderful quality ambience, and you lose that horrid mid facia top join that you get in the standard interior. Full leather is almost essential if you are having a light interior such as sand beige.
    Be interested to hear your spec choice.

In the standard interior, even the sand beige, the door for the passenger side airbag is virtually invisible on the dash, while the full leather cars here in the U.S. have an actual door cutout. So while you may be losing the "mid-fascia top joint," you gain another joint -- maybe even uglier --on the passenger side.

I have the sand standard interior. It's fine -- and especially great with the seal exterior. Here in the US, black is everywhere. I don't understand why people choose it when Porsche offers so many more alternatives than other manufacturers. Yesterday, I saw a GT Silver turbo with terracotta. It was an awesome combo.

If you go with the standard interior, you should definitely upgrade to one of the thicker sport steering wheels. The standard wheel feels really cheap -- like something on an economy car.

The full leather is truly nice, though. If I had to order again, I would give up my PCM for the full leather and a few other small items, including the sport wheel.

Quote:
    wtsnet said:
    That's what happens when you add PCM I guess! I'm just as happy with a Pounds4.99 map and Pounds2k in my pocket.

BUT PCM is just about the only extra you get full price back for come exchange time. (According to my OPC used car buyer). And it is extremely useful. It's a bit like air con - once you've had it you wonder how you ever managed withoutit.

Quote:
    dreamcar said:
    once you've had it you wonder how you ever managed withoutit.

Just like the Porsche itself

Quote:
    Porsche-Jeck said:
    Just like the Porsche itself

Had a message yesterday - my car is built and waiting to be shipped to Stuttgart so 29th September factory collection is looking good.

Fantastic news Hope the weather stays fine

Car now at Helsinki, ready to be shipped to Emden.

Quote:
    dreamcar said:
    Quote:
    wtsnet said:

BUT PCM is just about the only extra you get full price back for come exchange time. (According to my OPC used car buyer). And it is extremely useful. It's a bit like air con - once you've had it you wonder how you ever managed withoutit.

All right, I'll put my 2k in a savings account for a couple of years then!

I had PCM-Nav in a loaner. Took me ages to enter end points, and I found movement around the map slow and clunky.

IMHO, the user-interface of nav systems has still to come of age, and 2k for something that you can get hand-held for a couple of hundred quid is taking the proverbial.

However the main reason I didn't spec the Sat-Nav was that it'd be one of the earliest things to look 'old' in the car. The pace of comsumer electronics does move fast (Admittedly within the Porsche world they move a little slower!).

We'll agree to differ, then.

Quote:
    dreamcar said:

No we won't! Erm is this the five-minute argument, or the full half hour?

It is a personal thing, you're right. I'm just jealous of your new ride!

Quote:
    wtsnet said:
    Quote:
    dreamcar said:

No we won't! Erm is this the five-minute argument, or the full half hour?

I'm not arguing....

The maps in the PCM are way out of date already, and wih updates at Pounds400 a time i think i'd rather just throw a tomtom unit away every 2 years and start again. I used PCM in the loaners and too found it very slow to enter destinations, and planning a weeks tour in Scotland would be nigh on impossible.

Since i use multiple car PCM is worthless to me, maybe not to everyone tho.

Quote:
    percymon said:
    The maps in the PCM are way out of date already, and wih updates at Pounds400 a time i think i'd rather just throw a tomtom unit away every 2 years and start again. I used PCM in the loaners and too found it very slow to enter destinations, and planning a weeks tour in Scotland would be nigh on impossible.

Since i use multiple car PCM is worthless to me, maybe not to everyone tho.

Any more for the Rennteam PCM debate?

You don't even have to throw the TomTom away ... I just updated my old TomTom Go+ with the current software and maps for free.

I have the PCM NAV and a TomTom (also Nav in an 05 E500 and 06 RX400). The P Nav stands with the best of them for overall usability; none are perfect; the MB is the worst of the lot.

I must admit I never really considered the PCM. Even though the car I went for a test drive in had it installed and it looked good. And I love maps. I just thought it was far too much compared to the PDA (with integrated GPS) I use instead, which has a few bonuses - like being able to load loads of different kinds of maps (including OS maps and road atlases which work superbly) and being able to use it in hire cars abroad. I'd never thought about the PCM looking dated after a while either. Having said all that I'd still probably have bought it if I'd had a few thousand quid more.

I do not need a nav, my wife has her own car

I decided against the Nav system also. Would have decided to get it if I'd use the car for business trips. As it's my fun car, I'm happy for any involuntarily detour - makes a good excuse for extending any trip
    Also I think these "TV-screens" don't belong into a sportscar (but that's just me, being a conservative guy )

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    774795 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    440327 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    262070 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    260308 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    84834 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5442 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

879387 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    814209 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM