Crown

Board: Other Sports Cars Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: Audi R8 V10 Plus (2017 model) - Short Review

Porker:
    Gnil:

BTW : To me this shows also how misleading these test times are . They are done in ideal conditions, with professional drivers, and with an empty track .  At the end, the differences between an RS an R8 + or TTS is half a second . 

Driving behind a car that is thematically half a second slower then your in hands of professional , makes it impossible to over take it . You get stuck behind . Unless you are willing to put your car and the other's car at a very high risk of crashing .  What you might gain in some parts of a track ( like slower curves with the RS ) you loose it instantly when there is a straight because of the extra power of the R8 . ..... and so on .

So, in real life, these differences are minor .

Another example :  on the long straight 1.1 km .  The RS is exactly the same speed a GT3 . No difference .  Difference gets only once you hit the big right curb because of greater downforce . 

Another example :  With 2 fairly good drivers, a Turbo S is also faster over an entire lap then an RS . Because of the extra pulling power out of the curves and the extra speed on the straights . ( taking into consideration driving behind each other and that means leaving a safety margin , which you always will in normale real world driving events ) 

--

964 Carrera 4 --  997.2 C2S , -20mm --  991 GT3 RS 

I noticed on trackdays at Spa that a Turbo S on Cup tires is a real weapon. You do notice it's hard on brakes and tires and hence perhaps not very enjoyable to drive, but over 2-3 laps it is really really fast.

I guess the new PZero Cup might be even better (and they are officially rated for the turbo) - see the Sportauto test of the GTS. Lap times should be extremely good Smiley

PZero Corsa and yes, it seems to be a good tire. 

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Carrera 4 GTS Cabriolet (2015), Porsche Cayenne S Diesel (2017), Audi R8 V10 Plus (2016), Mini JCW (2015)

MKSGR:

My experience is that the test times (used to be) not misleading: I cannot replicate the time Sportauto achieves, as I am a bit slower, unfortunately... However, if one car is 1s faster than another I can nearly identically replicate the time difference, if you know what I mean. Thus, for me the lap times used to be very relevant Smiley Also, they tell you a lot about how a  car will feel on public roads as well (driving precision and track performance seem closely related, based on my experience) Smiley

I do also feel the difference, but what I am saying is that when you get stuck behind a car that is only slightly slower ( on paper ) it gets pretty difficult to overtake it without taking a risk to crash into each other , if the slower driver is not giving a little bit in and does anything to try to keep his position .   Then when you get to the straights, where you would have all the chance to pass risk free, it will be the power of the car that will make all the difference . 

And yes, some are much better drivers then others, so it most of the time comes down to that  Smiley

--

Gnil:
    MKSGR:

My experience is that the test times (used to be) not misleading: I cannot replicate the time Sportauto achieves, as I am a bit slower, unfortunately... However, if one car is 1s faster than another I can nearly identically replicate the time difference, if you know what I mean. Thus, for me the lap times used to be very relevant Smiley Also, they tell you a lot about how a  car will feel on public roads as well (driving precision and track performance seem closely related, based on my experience) Smiley

I do also feel the difference, but what I am saying is that when you get stuck behind a car that is only slightly slower ( on paper ) it gets pretty difficult to overtake it without taking a risk to crash into each other , if the slower driver is not giving a little bit in and does anything to try to keep his position .   Then when you get to the straights, where you would have all the chance to pass risk free, it will be the power of the car that will make all the difference . 

And yes, some are much better drivers then others, so it most of the time comes down to that  Smiley

You are right Smiley That's the advantage of the 918, as Nick wrote correctly Smiley

Porker:

I noticed on trackdays at Spa that a Turbo S on Cup tires is a real weapon. You do notice it's hard on brakes and tires and hence perhaps not very enjoyable to drive, but over 2-3 laps it is really really fast.

I '' raced'' against a  Turbo S with Cup tires at Le Castellet  . No chance with my RS , even if I was faster in the tighter  corners and at entry  .   Difference is also that with the RS you will manage the whole day . The Turbo will need to cool down after a few laps .  And , as you say, the drive experience is not the same .....

--

Gnil:
    Porker:

I '' raced'' against a  Turbo S with Cup tires at Le Castellet  . No chance with my RS , even if I was faster in the tighter  corners and at entry  .   Difference is also that with the RS you will manage the whole day . The Turbo will need to cool down after a few laps .  And , as you say, the drive experience is not the same .....

That the most important advantage of the GT/RS cars - not just two fast laps...

Blueflame

This is actually the problem with the Cup 2 with Audi rating (R01) for the R8: It is supposed to be a semi-slick but Audi wanted better wet performance, so they compromised dry performance. The Cup 2 for the R8 works well for a couple of laps (or one Nordschleife trip) but after that...forget it. With the GT models and the Cup 2, you can easily do as many laps as you desire and you won't feel much tire degradation. The R8 brake system however is actually quite durable but for comfort reasons (no squeaking), Audi chose brake pads which aren't really benefitting stopping performance from higher speeds. Bummer. There are third party pads of course but... Of course the R8 is too heavy, which is even more surprising looking at the weight of the Huracan (over 80-100 kg lighter). Audi really messed that up.

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Carrera 4 GTS Cabriolet (2015), Porsche Cayenne S Diesel (2017), Audi R8 V10 Plus (2016), Mini JCW (2015)

blueflame:
    Gnil:
    Porker:

Blueflame

Not to mention the fact the the GT/RS cars are much more fun and entertaining around the track than the Turbo regardless of the lap times they both achieve. I know in which seat I would choose to be in that scenario of Turbo vs RS...

--

⇒ Carlos - Porsche 991 Carrera GTS

Carlos from Spain:
    blueflame:
    Gnil:
    Porker:

Blueflame

Not to mention the fact the the GT/RS cars are much more fun and entertaining around the track than the Turbo regardless of the lap times they both achieve. I know in which seat I would choose to be in that scenario of Turbo vs RS...

--

True but sometimes it can be fun as well to leave all those GT cars behind without taking a major sweat. Smiley Smiley

You just need to know when to stop, best is after one or two laps, before the tires start to degrade. Smiley Smiley

--

RC:
    Carlos from Spain:
    blueflame:
    Gnil:
    Porker:

Blueflame

--

You just need to know when to stop, best is after one or two laps, before the tires start to degrade. Smiley Smiley

Yes, sounds like fun! Smiley

--

1992 Mercedes-Benz W124 500E / 2003 BMW M3 CSL (sold) / 2008 Porsche 911 GT3 RS / 2014 BMW-Alpina D3 biturbo Touring / 2014 BMW-Alpina B3 biturbo Touring Allrad

Porker:
    RC:
    Carlos from Spain:
    blueflame:
    Gnil:
    Porker:

Blueflame

--

Yes, sounds like fun! Smiley

It can be fun, especially if you are an old fart like me and don't want to pay a fortune for tires and other stuff. Smiley

Wait until your kids get older...money flies out of the window like nothing. Smiley

--

MKSGR:
    Gnil:
    MKSGR:

You are right Smiley That's the advantage of the 918, as Nick wrote correctly Smiley

I called that bring a hydraulic hammer to drive a nail Smiley

--

will somebody be there: 23.10.2017 im Audi driving experience center in Neuburg an der Donau

--

AM

ALDO:

will somebody be there: 23.10.2017 im Audi driving experience center in Neuburg an der Donau

No, should we? Smiley Smiley

--

I just got an invitation - I thought that other R8 owners will be there.

--

AM

In your case, it is not so far away

--

AM

ALDO:

In your case, it is not so far away

I'm not even sure I am going to be alive in October Smiley...I usually only book flights months ahead because they often get more expensive if you book too late. Smiley

If it is something interesting, I could come of course if I have time (which is questionable). Will ask my dealer what is going on that date. Smiley

--

Sehr geehrter Herr XXXX,

wir möchten uns für die langjährige und vertrauensvolle Zusammenarbeit mit einem ganz besonderen 
    Event bei Ihnen bedanken.

Sportlich, leidenschaftlich und dynamisch – steigen Sie ein in die Welt der Audi Rennstreckentrainings 
    und eröffnen Sie sich neue fahrdynamische Dimensionen mit einem außergewöhnlichen Sportwagen 
    von Audi.

I thought that you have got the same invitation.  

--

AM

ALDO:

Sehr geehrter Herr XXXX,

wir möchten uns für die langjährige und vertrauensvolle Zusammenarbeit mit einem ganz besonderen 
    Event bei Ihnen bedanken.

Sportlich, leidenschaftlich und dynamisch – steigen Sie ein in die Welt der Audi Rennstreckentrainings 
    und eröffnen Sie sich neue fahrdynamische Dimensionen mit einem außergewöhnlichen Sportwagen 
    von Audi.

I thought that you have got the same invitation.  

Nope...maybe they are trying to promote a new car? RS5? R8 V10 Plus Spyder? New A8 Smiley?  Smiley

I only got two invitations so far from my Audi dealer for track days with other R8 customers (not sure if organized by the dealership or by Audi) but since they aren't free of cost, I declined. I do not pay for driving, not anymore. Smiley

--

My new steering wheel has arrived. blush

Audi Sport OEM part...not aftermarket!

IMG_4117.JPG

--

Really cool steering wheel, oozes quality! angel

--

1992 Mercedes-Benz W124 500E / 2003 BMW M3 CSL (sold) / 2008 Porsche 911 GT3 RS / 2014 BMW-Alpina D3 biturbo Touring / 2014 BMW-Alpina B3 biturbo Touring Allrad

Porker:

Really cool steering wheel, oozes quality! angel

Grip is amazing...as long as I do not use hand cream. Smiley I always wondered why the Alcantara steering wheel in my 991 GTS Cab has "degraded" but now I know...my wife...hand cream. Smiley Smiley

Also it makes me faster, by at least 1 millisecond (track of your choice). Smiley Smiley

--

Congrats. Looks amazing. kiss and another reason for your wife not to drive with the R8smiley

--

RC:
    I always wondered why the Alcantara steering wheel in my 991 GTS Cab has "degraded" but now I know...my wife...hand cream. Smiley Smiley

mail  mine is still pretty good after 40k-45k km's yes

You need to buy some alcantara conditioner cream and secretly give her the switch with her hand cream bottle so she uses that instead 

BTW, like the new steering wheel on the R8 kiss

--

Conny997:

Congrats. Looks amazing. kiss and another reason for your wife not to drive with the R8smiley

Thanks, it really looks very nice and has an amazing grip but unfortunately this is Wildleder (buckskin) and not Alcantara and it is not as "resistant" as Alcantara. My mechanic recommended to use driving gloves, so maybe I am going to do that but avoiding hand cream (at least before driving) is a first step to avoid degradation. 

My wife drove the R8 once on a parking lot and was scared how light the steering felt (the 991 GTS Cab does not have Powersteering Plus), so she didn't want to try it further on the road. Smiley

Yes, the Dynamic Steering is very sensitive but in Dynamic/Performance mode and once you actually move faster, it becomes very sporty and direct, maybe even a bit too direct for some people.

--

Carlos from Spain:
    RC:
    I always wondered why the Alcantara steering wheel in my 991 GTS Cab has "degraded" but now I know...my wife...hand cream. Smiley Smiley

mail  mine is still pretty good after 40k-45k km's yes

You need to buy some alcantara conditioner cream and secretly give her the switch with her hand cream bottle so she uses that instead 

BTW, like the new steering wheel on the R8 kiss

--

Good idea...  Smiley Smiley

--

Oh...there is more: With sadness I have to report that there is now a second R8 V10 Plus in my hometown (mine has been the only customer registered car so far) and what is worse, it is the same color and same wheels (titanium 20''). mail  The guy saw mine and loved it so much, he got the same. yes Now I have to paint the rims black. indecision

--

Ha ha great "excuse"

--

Carlos from Spain:

Ha ha great "excuse"

Smiley Smiley

--

That wheel looks amazing. You already can see that it has lots of grip to offer! Enjoy!

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/29/24 1:47 PM
    Enmanuel
    691096 1781
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    410197 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    256244 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    235423 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65750 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4746 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

858844 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    775142 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM