Crown

Board: AMG Mercedes Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Top Gear CL65 review...

Re: Top Gear CL65 review...

I think you'd really have to love the engine to want this car. Just .4 seconds quicker than a CL55 AMG just doesn't cut it for me, not only that but it seems like another failed effort by MB to make a "sports car".

I think you'd really have to love the engine to want this car. Just .4 seconds quicker than a CL55 AMG just doesn't cut it for me, not only that but it seems like another failed effort by MB to make a "sports car".

MB don't do "sportscars"

This car is as quick if not quicker than a Murcie, and with AC on and sitting in a Nappa leather seat cruisin' down Monaco, nothing quite like it...

Did you know the 65 cars have exceeded AMG's highest sales expectations? They may not even be able to satisfy customer demand!

Just goes to show that only a "small" minority prefer every car to drive and feel like a porsche

This car is priced at Galalrdo/575/Murcie/vanquish/ territory yet is outselling! Go figure!

MB don't do "sportscars"

This car is as quick if not quicker than a Murcie, and with AC on and sitting in a Nappa leather seat cruisin' down Monaco, nothing quite like it...

Did you know the 65 cars have exceeded AMG's highest sales expectations? They may not even be able to satisfy customer demand!

Just goes to show that only a "small" minority prefer every car to drive and feel like a porsche

This car is priced at Galalrdo/575/Murcie/vanquish/ territory yet is outselling! Go figure!

Yeah, it's no sports car but its a helluva muscle car!!!

Yeah, it's no sports car but its a helluva muscle car!!!

Quote:
    Bilal Siddiqui said:

OK, I won't argue again with you on the "drive first, talk second" issue. The CL 65 AMG has been tested by german AMS and performed almost 1 second slower than the Lamborghini Murcielago from 0-125 mph. So I guess the Murci is a bit faster on the straight line. When it comes to curves however, the difference should be very dramatic.

AMG builds fine cars, no doubt about it. And I cannot deny that I feel attracted by so much power in a CL. But as soon as you drive such a car, you have to make compromises. Is it fun to drive a muscle car which can't put the full power on the ground? I don't know.
    I really think that AMG cars are for people who already own a Porsche, Ferrari or whatever. It is a very nice daily driver and probably the perfect Autobahn cruiser for business people. But as a weekend fun car or even as a daily fun provider, AMG cars still have a long way to go.
    I read that the new C 55 AMG already feels sportier than the older C 32 and I have high hopes that the SLK 55 will be much sportier than the SLK 32. My wife already fell in love with this car but this time, I have a word too in the buying decision.

Quote:
    Bilal Siddiqui said:

OK, I won't argue again with you on the "drive first, talk second" issue. The CL 65 AMG has been tested by german AMS and performed almost 1 second slower than the Lamborghini Murcielago from 0-125 mph. So I guess the Murci is a bit faster on the straight line. When it comes to curves however, the difference should be very dramatic.

AMG builds fine cars, no doubt about it. And I cannot deny that I feel attracted by so much power in a CL. But as soon as you drive such a car, you have to make compromises. Is it fun to drive a muscle car which can't put the full power on the ground? I don't know.
    I really think that AMG cars are for people who already own a Porsche, Ferrari or whatever. It is a very nice daily driver and probably the perfect Autobahn cruiser for business people. But as a weekend fun car or even as a daily fun provider, AMG cars still have a long way to go.
    I read that the new C 55 AMG already feels sportier than the older C 32 and I have high hopes that the SLK 55 will be much sportier than the SLK 32. My wife already fell in love with this car but this time, I have a word too in the buying decision.

This kind of supports my theory that the AMG's are just fast cars, not so much sporty cars. They are sporty to an extent, I guess in the sense that they are fast. After having owned a C43 back in the day, I can also say that AMG has it's work cut out.

This kind of supports my theory that the AMG's are just fast cars, not so much sporty cars. They are sporty to an extent, I guess in the sense that they are fast. After having owned a C43 back in the day, I can also say that AMG has it's work cut out.

Look if you're always going to use the "drive first talk second" theory, whats the point of having an AMG section? For sure no one appreciates these cars so why a forum for them?

I know AMG cars aren't "sporty", but maybe there are some crazy people out there that like them, not because they're sporty, but because they like teh Mercedes virtues which are to be found in every AMG car. Maybe these crazy people don't like taking corners on public roads with 612bhp in a two ton car, maybe they just like going from 30-70mph a lot, and checking the potential on an empty motorway over 100mph? Maybe they don't feel like pushing their cars on public roads especially when their cars cost over 100K GBP. Its ok in a Fiat Punto but not in a Mercedes thank you. Are there not people like that in the world? Or does EVERYONE that buys cars looks at skidpad and lateral acceleration numbers?

I said before, the CL65 has exceeded AMG's highest sales expectations, AMG my not be even able to fulfil all requests..what does that tell you about bad weight distribution, auto tranny, and 2200kgs?

This car will do 30-70mph (including kickdown) in 3.2 seconds Murcie 3.5 seconds... 0-150mph in 19.5 seconds, Murci 19.8.

Here, they compare the Murcie to an E55 Estate!

http://www.autocarmagazine.com/FirstDrive_Summary.asp?RT=204677

"How fast is it compared with, say, a Ferrari 360 Modena? In the real world, faster. You think I'm joking; I'm not. Okay, how about a Lamborghini Murciélago? Surely that would top the E55 in a traffic light GP? Nope. Not unless you made the perfect getaway and nailed every gearchange to within a millimetre of the rev limiter (not easy in a Murciélago, trust me)."

So if a Murcie is that hard to drive fast, then a CL65 will obliterate it if you catch teh driver unawares.

Every post aimed at me includes drive first talk second, if thats the case mostly in the AMG section as well, then I might as well stop posting, I thought we we're all entitled to our opinions, and now I can't give an opinion on an AMG car as well (since I like it because its a Mercedes).

You have to understand someone in the world has to build Sportscars, someone has to build the luxury cruisers. If we all kept making sportscars or cruisers how fun would that be?

Look if you're always going to use the "drive first talk second" theory, whats the point of having an AMG section? For sure no one appreciates these cars so why a forum for them?

I know AMG cars aren't "sporty", but maybe there are some crazy people out there that like them, not because they're sporty, but because they like teh Mercedes virtues which are to be found in every AMG car. Maybe these crazy people don't like taking corners on public roads with 612bhp in a two ton car, maybe they just like going from 30-70mph a lot, and checking the potential on an empty motorway over 100mph? Maybe they don't feel like pushing their cars on public roads especially when their cars cost over 100K GBP. Its ok in a Fiat Punto but not in a Mercedes thank you. Are there not people like that in the world? Or does EVERYONE that buys cars looks at skidpad and lateral acceleration numbers?

I said before, the CL65 has exceeded AMG's highest sales expectations, AMG my not be even able to fulfil all requests..what does that tell you about bad weight distribution, auto tranny, and 2200kgs?

This car will do 30-70mph (including kickdown) in 3.2 seconds Murcie 3.5 seconds... 0-150mph in 19.5 seconds, Murci 19.8.

Here, they compare the Murcie to an E55 Estate!

http://www.autocarmagazine.com/FirstDrive_Summary.asp?RT=204677

"How fast is it compared with, say, a Ferrari 360 Modena? In the real world, faster. You think I'm joking; I'm not. Okay, how about a Lamborghini Murciélago? Surely that would top the E55 in a traffic light GP? Nope. Not unless you made the perfect getaway and nailed every gearchange to within a millimetre of the rev limiter (not easy in a Murciélago, trust me)."

So if a Murcie is that hard to drive fast, then a CL65 will obliterate it if you catch teh driver unawares.

Every post aimed at me includes drive first talk second, if thats the case mostly in the AMG section as well, then I might as well stop posting, I thought we we're all entitled to our opinions, and now I can't give an opinion on an AMG car as well (since I like it because its a Mercedes).

You have to understand someone in the world has to build Sportscars, someone has to build the luxury cruisers. If we all kept making sportscars or cruisers how fun would that be?

About the Autocar article on the E55 estate, I actually bought and read that issue before I gave it away to a freind, and I recall the comparison made between the E55 vs. the 360 and Murci. I am sure on paper it looks believable, and probably to some extent in the real world it is, but I think it's incredibly stupid to compare these cars given the E55's poor dynamics(compared to the other two).

About the Autocar article on the E55 estate, I actually bought and read that issue before I gave it away to a freind, and I recall the comparison made between the E55 vs. the 360 and Murci. I am sure on paper it looks believable, and probably to some extent in the real world it is, but I think it's incredibly stupid to compare these cars given the E55's poor dynamics(compared to the other two).

Bilal...

...first at all you should read less and experience more. Who are these guys (journalists) who drive super sportscars? Mostly underpaid, sometimes young, unexperienced people who usually privately own underpowered cars. There are of course some exceptions but do you think a car journalist with a medium salary can afford a 996 Turbo, SL55 or even a Lambo? Nope. I gave up trusting car magazines a long time ago, especially since the Nardo story in AMS. The only exception is SPORT AUTO and Horst v. Saurma because I know he's a professional driver but sometimes even here, I sometimes have the impression that there isn't only enthusiasm but also something else...
    Anyway: DRIVE these damn cars if you want to talk about them because trust me, car magazines don't say it all and sometimes get it all wrong. Even some reports in internet forums are BS, I love those reports beginning with "my dad's Turbo" or "my neighbors Lambo"...

Regarding AMG: this forum wouldn't exist if I wouldn't appreciate AMG cars. I actually started it because of my E55 ownership and I was really thinking about closing it after I sold my E55 but I still think that AMG cars have a lot of potential and that AMG is a company which could make a lot of things possible if they were allowed to by their bigger brother (or should I say "mother"? ).
    I didn't drive the new SLK 55 and C 55 yet and this is one reason why I avoid commenting on these cars. But if they really perform much better as some sources indicate, there still is hope for AMG...and this forum.

Bilal...

...first at all you should read less and experience more. Who are these guys (journalists) who drive super sportscars? Mostly underpaid, sometimes young, unexperienced people who usually privately own underpowered cars. There are of course some exceptions but do you think a car journalist with a medium salary can afford a 996 Turbo, SL55 or even a Lambo? Nope. I gave up trusting car magazines a long time ago, especially since the Nardo story in AMS. The only exception is SPORT AUTO and Horst v. Saurma because I know he's a professional driver but sometimes even here, I sometimes have the impression that there isn't only enthusiasm but also something else...
    Anyway: DRIVE these damn cars if you want to talk about them because trust me, car magazines don't say it all and sometimes get it all wrong. Even some reports in internet forums are BS, I love those reports beginning with "my dad's Turbo" or "my neighbors Lambo"...

Regarding AMG: this forum wouldn't exist if I wouldn't appreciate AMG cars. I actually started it because of my E55 ownership and I was really thinking about closing it after I sold my E55 but I still think that AMG cars have a lot of potential and that AMG is a company which could make a lot of things possible if they were allowed to by their bigger brother (or should I say "mother"? ).
    I didn't drive the new SLK 55 and C 55 yet and this is one reason why I avoid commenting on these cars. But if they really perform much better as some sources indicate, there still is hope for AMG...and this forum.

Re: Bilal...

I believe this report should be accurate as Tiff Needle from top gear did test out the car,I didn't have time to read it but from what I saw it seems to be a summary of what he said. But he said he didn't really fancy it that much if I remember correctly

I believe this report should be accurate as Tiff Needle from top gear did test out the car,I didn't have time to read it but from what I saw it seems to be a summary of what he said. But he said he didn't really fancy it that much if I remember correctly

Yes, Tiff Needle is spot on about this car, as ususal. Its on video in racingflix:

http://racingflix.com/getvideo.asp?v=550&p=6

Yes, Tiff Needle is spot on about this car, as ususal. Its on video in racingflix:

http://racingflix.com/getvideo.asp?v=550&p=6

Quote:
    Bilal Siddiqui said:
    MB don't do "sportscars"

Hey Bilal, you finally said something I can agree with!

Quote:
    Bilal Siddiqui said:

Maybe that's because a lot more people can spell "CL65" than "Gallardo" or "Murcielago".
    So they chicken out and take the easy route when it comes to filling out the order form

That would also explain why VW abbreviated its name, and calls its models things like Golf, Lupo, Polo.
    They slipped up though when it came to naming the Phaeton and Touareg, and now they're paying for it.

fritz

Quote:
    Bilal Siddiqui said:
    MB don't do "sportscars"

Hey Bilal, you finally said something I can agree with!

Quote:
    Bilal Siddiqui said:

Maybe that's because a lot more people can spell "CL65" than "Gallardo" or "Murcielago".
    So they chicken out and take the easy route when it comes to filling out the order form

That would also explain why VW abbreviated its name, and calls its models things like Golf, Lupo, Polo.
    They slipped up though when it came to naming the Phaeton and Touareg, and now they're paying for it.

fritz

To me, faster equals better. All of the people on this site will disagree with me, but when you're GT3 or Turbo gets beaten by an E55 on a traffic light GP, thats pretty embrassing.

Worse so, when you fork out 125K GBP on a Gallardo, 160K GBP on a Vanquish, 163K GBP on a 575M, and STILL can't lose that E55.

Driving wise its all different, but if your "sportscar" can't quite cut the meat when it comes to racing from light to light, thats pretty much useless.

While fun factor may be an altogether different thing, I will still feel inferior in my more expensive "sports car" even though it may be a Ferrari or Porsche or whatever, when I get beaten by a Mercedes.

The next generation of sports cars better be pumping out 600bhp+ or get turbocharging.

Don't care what you all think, thats my opinion.

To me, faster equals better. All of the people on this site will disagree with me, but when you're GT3 or Turbo gets beaten by an E55 on a traffic light GP, thats pretty embrassing.

Worse so, when you fork out 125K GBP on a Gallardo, 160K GBP on a Vanquish, 163K GBP on a 575M, and STILL can't lose that E55.

Driving wise its all different, but if your "sportscar" can't quite cut the meat when it comes to racing from light to light, thats pretty much useless.

While fun factor may be an altogether different thing, I will still feel inferior in my more expensive "sports car" even though it may be a Ferrari or Porsche or whatever, when I get beaten by a Mercedes.

The next generation of sports cars better be pumping out 600bhp+ or get turbocharging.

Don't care what you all think, thats my opinion.

Traffic light racing is stupid IMO, what does that prove? especially on an auto-merc, that you can't "drive" the car and then get a kick out of stomping on the gas pedal in a straight line while the good old torque converter shifts for you? Freud would have a kick analizing that
    Most E55 owners don't care about that anyway, they just want a confortable sedan that can cruise effortlessly.
    And sportcar buyers don't care about light to light racing, you don't feel inferior if a E55 can beat you to the next light while in a GT3 or 996TT, only an insecure poseur would. So comparing cars by their performance on a traffic light race is really wacked, there is no value or merit in that. As Lucutus would say... "drag racing is irrelevant" "prepare to be asimilated... when we hit the twisties"

Traffic light racing is stupid IMO, what does that prove? especially on an auto-merc, that you can't "drive" the car and then get a kick out of stomping on the gas pedal in a straight line while the good old torque converter shifts for you? Freud would have a kick analizing that
    Most E55 owners don't care about that anyway, they just want a confortable sedan that can cruise effortlessly.
    And sportcar buyers don't care about light to light racing, you don't feel inferior if a E55 can beat you to the next light while in a GT3 or 996TT, only an insecure poseur would. So comparing cars by their performance on a traffic light race is really wacked, there is no value or merit in that. As Lucutus would say... "drag racing is irrelevant" "prepare to be asimilated... when we hit the twisties"

Very well put Carlos, very well put.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    759214 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    433565 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    259665 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    256803 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    80525 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5304 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

870539 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    805471 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM