Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 - Turbo Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

997TT tip vs. E55k comparison

Owned the E55 for 2 years picked up the 997TT two days ago. Never owned a Porsche before. The 997TT was bought for city driving, an effortless A to B car as I do not track.

The 997TT obviously handles much better, the difference between the 997TT vs. the E55 is similar to the E55 vs. a Honda Odyssey.

Brakes very well with little dive, makes the car a joy to drive in the city. Excellent steering input and traction.

Steering is far better than I expected, it tracks nice and straight even on imperfect roads.

Agree with RC it takes a little while to get used to the power delivery. I would say the E55 is more responsive than the 997TT the first second you press on the throttle. At 3k rpm, the turbo completely goes nuts and I don't think I have the opportunity to see if my over-boost lasts more than 10 seconds.

I like to leave the sports mode on with the softer suspension setting.

In the E55, you press on the gas and the car immediately goes (provided the available traction, or power will cut off thanks to traction control), the Porsche, there is a slight lag but it really picks up. It's best if you keep the car at 2,500 rpm.

The engine is still tight. I am curious what kind of 0-60 numbers if I do not use the 4k rpm launch control. Only launched it once and it was pretty amazing. If I need to pass cars at intersections with absolute confidence, I would brake torque at around 2,500 rpm to eliminate the initial lag.

After hearing all the complaints about the lack of decent sound from the turbo, I actually find the car way too loud. Perhaps it's the unrealistic expectation as I truly hoped the car would be almost as quiet as the E55.

It is much louder of course. It also feels far safer to drive quickly as the E55 felt extremely unsettled in comparison, especially when one has to brake and turn.

Interior wise, I didn't realize my dealer ordered the aluminium multi-function steering wheel (instead of just leather multi-function) which looks very nice with the tip. I'm happy as I would not have ordered otherwise. The aluminium really blends in well with the rest of the pieces.

Didn't realize Porsche's radio is so advanced - it beats all other makes I have tried, MB, BMW, Honda, Audi, etc. Was shocked to see the FM song titles! Stereo sound is decent, more bass than E55's HK, but the BMW Pro-logic in the 7 is better I think. Need to play with the settings.

PCM Phone module is ok, not as smart as the MB or BMW. Navigation screen beats BMW and MB hands down (brightness and clarity).

I miss stupid things like ventilated seats, auto trunk and keyless go, but as an overall package, the Porsche is hard to beat for North America street use.

It's extremely enjoyable to drive compared to an AMG even within the speed limit as it brakes and turns so much more effortlessly. Power delivery can be smoother but that's expected, given a flat 6 vs. a large displacement V8.

Ask away if you have any questions.

Re: 997TT tip vs. E55k comparison

Glad you are enjoying your new car, but I have to say that these are 2 cars I would never bother comparing. Apples and oranges, as you've described.

Of course if you live in a busy city you may still need 4-wheels to move around... and a Porsche will do, of course, but what a waste... these are great road cars and they are at their best in sinuous mountain roads.

Quote:
    ADias said:
    Of course if you live in a busy city you may still need 4-wheels to move around... and a Porsche will do, of course, but what a waste... these are great road cars and they are at their best in sinuous mountain roads.

I have a feeling I'll be visiting Whistler more often.. Thanks for the comments.

the most obvious difference in favor of the porsche would be on a twisty road , the merc is a straight line performer.. congrats on your new car

Ditto! Just one question. How come RDS (FM song titles) is so uncommon in the States? We've had it since the early '90s in Europe, so why such a large discrepancy?

Quote:
    dhayek said:
    the most obvious difference in favor of the porsche would be on a twisty road , the merc is a straight line performer.. congrats on your new car

Thanks everyone. The wonderful thing about the 997TT is that even when making 90 degree turns at speed limit, it's still much more fun and effortless compared to the E55.

When I make a turn in the E55, I feel that I have to take it really smoothly or I'll get the body roll, nasty steering kickback, tirew singing, under-steer, etc. With the 997TT, I can literally take the same turn at 50% higher speed, yet can wiggle my steering wheel left and right through the turn and the car still sticks to the road!

Totally confidence inspiring and unreal, for someone with no prior Porsche experience. And I find it puzzling most members here truly want more engine/exhaust noise and find the car too quiet.

I know it's not very meaningful to compare the two cars, I only hope some AMG owners lurking Porsche forums may find it interesting.

Quote:
    Crash said:
    Ditto! Just one question. How come RDS (FM song titles) is so uncommon in the States? We've had it since the early '90s in Europe, so why such a large discrepancy?

It may not be very uncommon in North America, it's just that I rarely listen to FM and didn't realize we have it. I would think that most folks would go for the satellite radio in North America anyway..

Quote:
    W211 said:
    Quote:
    Crash said:

It may not be very uncommon in North America, it's just that I rarely listen to FM and didn't realize we have it. I would think that most folks would go for the satellite radio in North America anyway..

Yes, I forgot about that Sirius/XM thing... I agree with you regarding engine sound. The Gallardo surely sounds fabulous, but sound is only part of the equation.

Anything is better than the sensotronic brakes in the E55. Thank goodness they ditched all that crap for 07.

The E55 off throttle torque is very hard to beat. Feels like a carrier catapult.

W211, thanks for your 997tt vs E55 comparison as that is what I needed. I have a CL55 AMG and am considering getting a 997TT tip. There is not one available in the dealership for test drive so I don't how it feels like.

Questions:
    * how does the car feel like accelerating from idle to 3000 rpm? (just normal acceleration in city driving)
    * acceleration linear?
    * Same question except you floor it.
    * how is drivability in the city?
    * how is ride quality compare to E55?
    * Seat comfortable?
    * do you like it more than the E55?
    * lastly, anything about the 997TT that you don't like.
    Thanks for your feedback.

Last wk or so, have done about 1000mi back-to-back driving of 997TT Tip vs '07 SL65 on both fwys and mtn twisties...latest tech chassis/tranny/brakes/ESP software, etc from both P and MB in similar length/height/width/WB platforms, but 65 weighs 1000lbs more and is a convertible. To-date, I greatly favor 65 over the impressive 997TT Tip in both straight-line and twisties scenarios in terms of driving pleasure/refinement/confidence, as well as daily urban commuting use.....

My biggest disappointments w/997TT are its Prius-like exhaust note (it's worse than the more mechanical, but uninspiring, drone of my prior 996TTS....997TT sounds like a Japanese electric motor )and annoyingly notable turbo lag/nonlinearity (despite all the VTG bs), whereas 65 has a charismatic, elegantly intimidating exhaust note and no apparent turbo lag/nonlinearity despite being a non-VTG biturbo....at 100MPH+ vs CA's sometimes bumpy fwys and often stiff-cross winds, I find 65 more stable and confidence-inspiring than 997TT...and for 60-120MPH dry urban fwy accel, 65 seems notably faster and more confidence-inspiring than 997TT's perceptible, confidence-sapping turbo lag-centric accel....

However, 997TT's PCCB brake pedal feel is perhaps best in the world today ...and 65's brakes, though superb in terms of stopping dists and fade resistance, have overly GT-like pedal travel before bite begins, esp in slow urban stops (have already emailed MB, suggesting that they emulate 997TT PCCB brake pedal feel for upcoming CL63/65)...

For daily commute use, biggest drawbacks of 997TT are its puny fuel tank and range (all high-perf cars seem to get 10MPG in my use)...and lack of Bluetooth and usable trunk space (I prefer not to store potential severe deceleration/internally-launched missles in my cars' passenger compartments, so the vestigial rear seats w/dubious safety features/fold-down-rear seats nonsense of 997TT is just wasted space IMO ). 997TT may prove to have better trac for CA winter rain driving, but 65 has auto brake-drying feature which may entail better brakes in wet conds...will find out in a few mths when it starts to rain again in CA.....

I tried to get a rear seat delete in mine but it wasn't an option back in March...

Long reply for Tony now time for a wash and photo session

Quote:
    tony2006 said:
    W211, thanks for your 997tt vs E55 comparison as that is what I needed. I have a CL55 AMG and am considering getting a 997TT tip. There is not one available in the dealership for test drive so I don't how it feels like.

Questions:
    * how does the car feel like accelerating from idle to 3000 rpm? (just normal acceleration in city driving)
    * acceleration linear?
    * Same question except you floor it.
    * how is drivability in the city?
    * how is ride quality compare to E55?
    * Seat comfortable?
    * do you like it more than the E55?
    * lastly, anything about the 997TT that you don't like.
    Thanks for your feedback.

No problem I understand most dealers will not have a 997 tip in North America for test drives as it is extremely rare. Porsche underestimated the tip demand according all the Porsche reps I have talked to.

My car has clearly not been broken in yet, just a couple hundred of miles, so take my initial observation on a very tight engine with a grain of salt.

The car feels definitely slower than the E55 to 3k rpm. In fact, even if I floor it, if I were another car racing next to the turbo, I don't think I could tell the turbo was trying to race me the first second or so.

As a reference for comparison, is your CL55 the model with the super-charger? One thing I dislike about the 55 super-charged drive train is the very slight delay when I step on the throttle before the super-charger kicks in. Often, I hear a slight chirp and not the smoothest super-charger clutch engagement.

Acceleration on the turbo is very fierce after 3k rpm so it is a bit difficult for me to tell if how linear the acceleration is, not having taken the car on the highway yet. Let me comment on this after getting used to the power. I'm looking for long straight inclines to test out the 997TT power vs. its traction. I have only seen the traction control light coming on once.

The turbo is quite drivable in the city, if you can get used to the engine/exhaust noise. Changing lanes is extremely easy as the steering is most direct and fast. Brakes are the best I have used, with no dive and the steering wheel doesn't get nervous even when I brake on uneven surfaces. I have the steel brakes and they are perfectly fine. It's much more fun getting into every 90 degree turns than the E55 in the city. Like eclou said, the E55 brakes are pretty bad (worst than a similar version on the SL), your CL should have better 'normal' brakes, but the Porsche brakes.. you have to try to understand what I mean.

It's very drivable but the 3 days I have had the car, I feel very self-conscious as I make far more noise on the road compared to my E55. The biggest surprise for me (a Porsche newbie) is how quickly I can take a corner/turn compared to the AMG.

I can brake much later when entering into a turn, carry a 50% higher speed throughout the turn, and can still wiggle the steering wheel left and right (for fun or to avoid obstacles) and the car still grabs the road. If the same is done on the E55, the heavier car would have given me the body roll and the steering wheel would have gone very tight and unresponsive.

The nimbleness makes driving the 997TT fun in the city.

Ride is bumpier than the E55 as expected. Quite a bit rougher but no squeaks or rattles which I cannot stand. I am very fussy and can only observe a very very slight squeak on the seatbelt buckle at the b-pillar under extreme situations, will look into that.

The seats grab you very well. I'm within the normal range (slightly on the heavier side, 6 foot 1, 185 lb) on the BMI body mass index and find them just fine. Lots of headroom. However, I don't like the headrests as they (for safety I believe), slightly push your head forward, similar to the Volvo headrests. On the MB I can adjust the headrest to support my neck but not on the 997TT.

But then, it's a sports car and one should pay full attention instead of leaning back I suppose. I have the adaptive sports seats and they hug your body really well. I can take crazy turns and my wife will not complain. She finds the seats more comfortable than the ones on the E55 and the current SL500.

The 997TT seems to have brighter headlights compared to both the E55 and 2006 750Li.

It's a little hard to compare the E55 and 997TT. The E55 is the perfect car if I can only have one car. In my case however, I pick a 750Li for days having to drive passengers (for the roominess), and the 997TT for fun.

Performance wise, I clearly prefer the 997TT as it's faster than the E55 and handles MUCH better. Factor in the rainy days and the 997TT becomes very hard to beat. The AMG cars are great but the power is not always accessible and I don't find it that safe to speed in them due to their inferior brakes and handling.

What do I not like about the 997TT, let's see, I miss the stealthy flying below the radar characteristic of the E55. And to be absolutely anal.. No BT (although I did order the phone module), no MP3 changer (although there is a dash MP3 single CD player), no iPod yet (although one is coming very soon but expensive), slight turbo lag, no keyless go, no ventilated seats, could have used front bumper sensor, but I'm becoming silly here.

Re: Long reply for Tony now time for a wash and photo session

Interesting to observe the difference in perspectives between VKSF and W211, E55/SL65 differences notwithdstanding. Just on the comments overall and priority-setting comments, W211 understands what really a Porsche is. VKSF seems to care more about the next techno-ladden toy on the horizon.

Quote:
    ADias said:
    Interesting to observe the difference in perspectives between VKSF and W211, E55/SL65 differences notwithdstanding. Just on the comments overall and priority-setting comments, W211 understands what really a Porsche is. VKSF seems to care more about the next techno-ladden toy on the horizon.

Your assessment may be correct, but you must also take into account what each of them wants in a car. VKSF talks mostly about freeways and raves about the SL65's power, while W211 seems to be more interested in cornering, scolding the E55 for its lack of handling. Different people have different needs, and if they each can find a car that suits them, then good for them .

W211, thank you very much for your in-depth analysis. My CL55 has a supercharger and there is a delay between stepping on the throttle and acceleration. Essentially the same engine as your E55. I am happy to hear that the 997tt handles so well and is a fun to drive. You can carry 50% more speed into a corner! wow! My major dissatisfaction about the AMG cars is that they do not handle well and poor brake. I feel the same way as you do in that they are really not that safe to drive very fast in. AMG cars are fine cars. But they are fast sedans rather than fast sports cars. I read in a posting (I believe by terrence) that turbo lag decreases after 500 or 1000 miles of breaking in. Anyway, congratulation and keep us posted on how your car goes.

Eric,

Congratulations on your latest acquistion! I'll have to come up and check out your Turbo sometime soon! Send me an email!

Jason

Quote:
    ADias said:
    Interesting to observe the difference in perspectives between VKSF and W211, E55/SL65 differences notwithdstanding. Just on the comments overall and priority-setting comments...

I agree. And it just goes to show that there is not any one car out there that qualifies as "best" for everyone.

Pictures on their way

Yes, we all have different priorities. I like highway driving too, but just haven't had the chance to take it out for a good stretch yet. Will keep you guys posted.

Coming from an E55, I'm just totally blown away by its handling, that's all.

I have a feeling the SL65 will feel more effortless when accelerating, largely due to the quieter interior and the very low end torque thanks to the larger displacement. However, the 997TT acceleration past 3 rpm is quite unreal and the grip makes it easier to drive fast without worrying too much about traction, which I suppose, is less of a problem for the AMGs when on the highway.

Regarding VKSF's comment, serously is the Prius as noisy as the turbo, I would have thought it should be super quiet?

Agree the SL has a far bigger trunk. If I were in the market for a convertible, I would pick a SL550 (good value) or a used SL65. The new SL65 is too expensive for me to own, have you guys seen its deep depreciation!

997TT Pictures

Apologies I'm not a professional photographer at all..

Re: 997TT Pictures

I love the new wheels, I think they'll hide the brake dust better.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    775187 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    440598 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    262180 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    260409 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    84877 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5448 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

879623 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    814502 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM