Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 - Turbo Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Please critique this configuration!

I'm putting in my order and I'm getting close. I'm sending the below to my dealer. It has a proposed configuration along with some questions on the right in parens. Then it lists some things I didn't order just to get his opinion if I should. Finally, I'm looking for opinions on whether I should remove anything, or have left out anything entirely, or just have chosen anything that does not work or does not make sense! I'd love to hear from you guys. Thanks!

General theme: black (not basalt) with natural grey interior + carbon, PCCBs.

2007 Turbo Coupe 997
    420 BASE Porsche Base Model
    220 Axle-Differential Lock Rear (Do you recommend this option?)
    A1 Black
    05 Natural Leather Grey
    M6A Black Mats - Porsche Letter (Good choice?)
    C02 U.S. Standard/Emissions
    982 Supple Leather Front and Rear (is this the choice if not sports seats?)
    342 Heated Front Seats
    425 Rear Window Wiper
    450 Ceramic Composite Brakes-PCCB
    509 Fire Extinguisher
    635 Park Assist System
    640 Sport Chrono Package Turbo
    641 Electronic Logbook
    672 Extended Navigation Module
    692 Remote CD Changer (6 Disc)
    XMZ Rear Center Console - Leather
    XNS Steering Column in Leather
    XPA Thicker Steering Wheel-Leather
    998 Leather Interior Natural Lthr
    803 Carbon Package
    CGA Headlight Cleaner Cvr Ext.Clr
    XSC Porsche Crest in Headrest
    XXZ Foot Rest Aluminum (does this go with blck/gry/crbn?)

I did not go for but am open too, any thoughts?

P01L Adaptive Sport Sts Lthr Int. (Have sat in. Ass too big...)
    XAJ Standard Rocker Panels Painted
    CUR PCM Package Leather
    CVW Rear View Mirror Leather
    EAD Carbon Package Switch Panel
    X69 Carbon Door Sil Model Insignia
    XMJ Rear Center Console - Carbon
    XTL Door Finisher in Carbon

Re: Please critique this configuration!

In another post I voted for the Diff Lock (220). XXZ foot rest will make it match the pedals, so yes. I didn't go with the CGA, but it's probably a good choice with a blk car. I'm going with the CFX mats @ $510 (black w/red trim and lettering) vs the $115 M6A blk mats (for more bling). I chose the adaptive sports seats (N/A with supple leather) even though my ass is also large. Your other options pretty much are like mine except we deviate on some of the interior appointments as I'm not going with the carbon accents.

Quote:
    Over the Hill said:
    In another post I voted for the Diff Lock (220). XXZ foot rest will make it match the pedals, so yes. I didn't go with the CGA, but it's probably a good choice with a blk car. I'm going with the CFX mats @ $510 (black w/red trim and lettering) vs the $115 M6A blk mats (for more bling). I chose the adaptive sports seats (N/A with supple leather) even though my ass is also large. Your other options pretty much are like mine except we deviate on some of the interior appointments as I'm not going with the carbon accents.

Thanks, very helpful.

For God's sake... it's a sports car, buy it base and drive it!

Most of the doodads diminish the car's sportiness!

If I could I would remove the Bose, the NAV and the electrical windows/seats... even in a Turbo.

Quote:
    ADias said:
    For God's sake... it's a sports car, buy it base and drive it!

Most of the doodads diminish the car's sportiness!

If I could I would remove the Bose, the NAV and the electrical windows/seats... even in a Turbo.

OK, I'll refrain from suggesting you get a GT3... Which in my configuration would you specifically remove (barring the engine)?

Since you asked... I would remove all these:

A1 Black - what's this?
    05 Natural Leather Grey
    982 Supple Leather Front and Rear
    342 Heated Front Seats
    425 Rear Window Wiper
    509 Fire Extinguisher
    635 Park Assist System
    641 Electronic Logbook
    803 Carbon Package

I think the supple leather diminishes some of the sporty look of the interior and would stick with the regular more taut looking leather.

I also think supplementary leather options (like leather steering column, sunvisors, etc.) are a waste of money in most cases. The rear center console option is definitely more visible. However, I imagine that some people would like to have as much leather as possible and the marginal cost compared to the total price of the car is not huge. Personally, the full leather is sufficient for me in a sports car and would spend the money elsewhere.

Park assist is another one of those luxury options I'd leave out, but perhaps you will use this car in the city often.

The thicker steering wheel is a great option and will really bring you enjoyment every time you drive the car.

You've specced the car well and I'd say these are just personal preference issues!

Quote:
    ADias said:

Since you asked... I would remove all these:

A1 Black - what's this?
    05 Natural Leather Grey
    982 Supple Leather Front and Rear
    342 Heated Front Seats
    425 Rear Window Wiper
    509 Fire Extinguisher
    635 Park Assist System
    641 Electronic Logbook
    803 Carbon Package

Among others you removed the exterior color and the interior leather color. Do you also insist on see-through?

Quote:
    Justin said:
    I think the supple leather diminishes some of the sporty look of the interior and would stick with the regular more taut looking leather.

I also think supplementary leather options (like leather steering column, sunvisors, etc.) are a waste of money in most cases. The rear center console option is definitely more visible. However, I imagine that some people would like to have as much leather as possible and the marginal cost compared to the total price of the car is not huge. Personally, the full leather is sufficient for me in a sports car and would spend the money elsewhere.

Park assist is another one of those luxury options I'd leave out, but perhaps you will use this car in the city often.

The thicker steering wheel is a great option and will really bring you enjoyment every time you drive the car.

You've specced the car well and I'd say these are just personal preference issues!

"Supple leather" is natural leather right?

Thanks!

Quote:
    thegratingone said:
    Among others you removed the exterior color and the interior leather color. Do you also insist on see-through?

Clearly, I'm not so versed in the nitty-gritty options as you are.

The second line "natural" leather I would still include in my list, i.e., remove from the order. The Turbo already comes with full natural (natural as it comes from a cow) leather. Porsche "natural" leather is a further refined cow leather - I do not think a sports car needs that finesse.

Supple leather has nothing to do with the quality of leather. It is simply a softer leather with a crumpled design, which will wear better or worse depending on usage and one's weight...

Quote:
    thegratingone said:

"Supple leather" is natural leather right?

Thanks!

Supple leather is the slightly ruffled leather that gives off more of a luxury look. Not sure if it is any softer feeling. See this picture:
    http://truspeedmotorcars.com/inv_pics/201_8.jpg

Certainly some people like it more than others!

Natural probably refers to the "natural grey" or "natural brown" color leather options.

220 Locking differential is a must

Quote:
    Justin said:
    Natural probably refers to the "natural grey" or "natural brown" color leather options.

Justin's correct...
    If you choose interior code 05 Natural Leather Grey, it's just a redundant Porsche ordering system quirk to list option code 998 Leathr Interior Natural.

Although I respect ADias' spartan keep-it-simple approach, it doesn't seem to be your mindset. I would definitely Keep the nat'l grey. The marginal add'l cost to get natty grey is negligible. And I don't know about you-- but I am a detail freak and the slightly more elegant color+texture of the natural grey leather vs. black is something I would relish. In fact I would order nat'l grey if I were ordering my car all over again...(I saw the Slate grey/Natural grey 997S Chicago Auto Show car at Joe Rizza and that car was something special). I would also get more interior bits in leather if I were doing it all over again.

Otherwise, terrific spec....I agree w/getting Rear Ctr Console in Leather, Steering column in leather. I would also get door finishers in leather.
    - No need for the painted exterior side skirts on a black car.
    - Rear wiper clutters the look in my opinion, I have driven mine numerous times in rain w/o wiper and I have never once wished for it.
    - One other distinction re: seats:
    Supple/ruffled seat inserts do not have perforations like the standard and Sport/ Adaptive seats have. I recently drove a new C4 with supple leather and I actually found it to be slightly more comfortable than my already very comfortable smooth-leather base (power) seat; but I personally don't find the look of the supple leather to be appealing. Also I have seen supple leather after 20K miles and it doesn't hold up as well...supple leather ends up looking more stretched and caved-in than standard or Sport seats.
    Cheers, D.

BLACK Full Leather of my car: (below)

NATURAL GREY LEATHER (below)

Hey, congrats on getting to the front of the line. Now the fun really begins. I like most of your specs, but I would agree with Damian about the rear wiper. I almost got one but declined when I read that others found it unnecessary. Supple leather doesn't say "powerful sports car" to me, but that's just me. Back-up sensors? OK for a minivan or SUV, but I wouldn't think necessary for a little 997. Extended NAV and logbook - only if you really need 'em. The foot rest I got, but tried to delete. I think it's just going to make the dead pedal more conspicuous. I'll sell you mine if you want it . There are aftermarket ones for less. CD changer-I wish I had deleted that too, as I'd rather get an iPod IceLink and skip the discs in the trunk bit (and save $650). Definitely go with PCCB, locking diff, Sports Chrono (duh!). Carbon stuff - your choice, bling or more spending cash. Rocker panels, may not be necessary with a black car.

Anyway, have some fun, you're going to love your car!

Ken

Recommend the XTV leather door finishers instead of the CF.

Dan

I've heard that supple leather looks a little hemorrhoidal with age. Does anyone have knowledge of this? Thank you.

Personally, I believe that the back up sensors are worth it; mini van or not. If they save you once-and they will-they've paid for themselves many times over. In a perfect world, it would be nice not to have the tiny sensors back there, but, it's really not a big deal.
    I would not go for the supple leather, that does belong in a mini van.
    I believe that the PCCB's are way overpriced and your resale will suffer more because of them, but if money is no object, what the heck.
    LSD is the only way to go with the manual. (And, of course, sport chrono) Everything else is a personal thing.
    I'm unaware of Denison having an Ipod configuration available. It's been in the development stage since the stone age. And, when it is, it will cost at least $650.00 with installation. So, in the interim, I'd consider the nulti disc deck, but add it later.

Hi Gratingone, nice choice!

I personally favour Atlas Grey over plain Black exterior colour, but this is an individual opinion of course.
    I would consider the carbon packages for the interior, especially on a beige or black one.
    Choosing leather-covered parts is definately the classic route to go and should never make any problems stylistically.However it depends on your personal taste and how long you are going to keep the car. The later also brings up the question whether the PCCBs are worth it - I have no personal experience with them on the Turbo, only on the Carrera and they are definately great. If they are worth the premium is a personal question - if you intend to keep the car for a longer period of time or if your dealer would advise you to get them due to resale reasons in the US, I would go for it. If you keep the car for several years I would decide for them.

I would definately prefer the rear center console & the door finishers in leather or carbon over any other part of the interior. Beyond that I'd consider the interior lamp cover or the Y-trim on the steering wheel to be worth the extra money. What hurts my eye are the parts coloured in Vulcan Grey, e.g. the PCM package, sportseat backrest etc. - I would consider a solution there.

Another interesting option, especially with a dark exterior, would be the option to paint parts of the interior in this colour - rear center console, PCM package and the air vents. The rest of the interior could be covered in carbon or leather trim. This would give a very interesting - due to the different grades of reflectivity - yet understated appearance - consider coloured seatbelts in this case as well.

Have fun with the options!

Quote:
    Ferdie said:
    Hi Gratingone, nice choice!

I personally favour Atlas Grey over plain Black exterior colour, but this is an individual opinion of course.
    I would consider the carbon packages for the interior, especially on a beige or black one.
    Choosing leather-covered parts is definately the classic route to go and should never make any problems stylistically.However it depends on your personal taste and how long you are going to keep the car. The later also brings up the question whether the PCCBs are worth it - I have no personal experience with them on the Turbo, only on the Carrera and they are definately great. If they are worth the premium is a personal question - if you intend to keep the car for a longer period of time or if your dealer would advise you to get them due to resale reasons in the US, I would go for it. If you keep the car for several years I would decide for them.

I would definately prefer the rear center console & the door finishers in leather or carbon over any other part of the interior. Beyond that I'd consider the interior lamp cover or the Y-trim on the steering wheel to be worth the extra money. What hurts my eye are the parts coloured in Vulcan Grey, e.g. the PCM package, sportseat backrest etc. - I would consider a solution there.

Another interesting option, especially with a dark exterior, would be the option to paint parts of the interior in this colour - rear center console, PCM package and the air vents. The rest of the interior could be covered in carbon or leather trim. This would give a very interesting - due to the different grades of reflectivity - yet understated appearance - consider coloured seatbelts in this case as well.

Have fun with the options!

Funny, my 996 is in Atlas... I love it, just ready for a change.

Thanks, great suggestions.

Kill the carbon. From what I have been told (by dealers), it is not proper carbon fibre anyway (unlike Ferrari). But matter of personal preference. If you live in a city, park assist is necessary. Kill the autochanger as well. Little enough space in the boot and the CD player plays mp3 cds (unlike the 996). I love the adaptive sport seats and have specced out my tt with them. You may get used to the tight fit!

CD changer

I personally skipped the CD changer and use the savings to order the Nav-TV iPod kit (which are mutually exclusive).

" I'm unaware of Denison having an Ipod configuration available. It's been in the development stage since the stone age. And, when it is, it will cost at least $650.00 with installation. So, in the interim, I'd consider the nulti disc deck, but add it later. "
    See posts regarding Nav-TV. Derek at Benchmark Motoring in Bellevue, Washington has completed a seamless Ipod integration with this system.
    (see www,benchmarkmotoring.com or phone (425) 614-4100)
    Good luck with detailing your vehicle, only you can justify your choices as you wade through the extensive option list. As previous posters have mentioned, the length of time you keep the car determines the amount of depreciation of the options ... your dollar cost per hour of driving goes up dramatically with an extensive option list.

I have "supple" graphite gray leather in my 996 and I like it much better than the perforated "standard" leather. The supple leather is much easier to clean than perforated leather. My wife's MB CLK has perforated leather, and it is really a b!tch to keep the leather conditioner from clogging up the holes in the leather. Just my 2c!

I also have perforated leather in my MB (C32), and never had any problem with conditioning with either Zaino's product or Leatherique. Not sure if it's a technique or product issue...

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    775783 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    440937 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    262354 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    260536 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    84952 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5450 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

879971 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    814919 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM