Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 - Turbo Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: Switching order from TIP to Manual

Quote:
    thegratingone said:
    Quote:
    993S said:
    Quote:
    thegratingone said:
    So, in the event I can't get the short-shifter, how bad is that? How important was the option?

I have the Turbo on order , am middle aged but like a sporty car so I initially ordered the car with SS. After my order I had the opportunity to test drive the Turbo with SS , I had the car for 3 hours. When I returned the car I canceled the SS option. It is really uncomfortable and not fitting the car. The feel of the gearchange must go with the feel of the clutch IMO. This is not the case with the SS. Clutch is extremely light and SS is extremely heavy/notchy.
    Also know that the standard shifter is more than short enough. So it comes down to either short shifting with comfort and ease (standard) or extreme short shifting with no comfort and very tiresome in traffic. This is my personal view.

Very helpful. What makes the short shifter so bad in traffic? Isn't short easier? I might be really clueless...

It's pretty overwhelming for the senses to have the clutch move in with extreme ease, but the gear leve to be very hard. It's pretty disturbing and I can understand why he doesn't like it.

I thought the Rennteam global conclusion a few weeks back was that LSD is more of a hinderance than anything on public roads but good for tracks when traction is taken to an extreme. Normal road driving you would never actually need it.

?!

Guys,

I have a 997TT tip on order and just picked up a 6 speed with short shifter. I have driven both tip and 6 speed before. I have a 993 C2 with 6 speed. As mentioned the 6 speed 997TT is different and notchy, more so than the 993. But I like it and it's not a problem to drive in traffic, just give yourself some time to get used to the notchy effect.

Mike

Which do you enjoy more, it or the TIP?

What about the LSD?

Thanks.

Quote:
    Alex (UK) said:
    I thought the Rennteam global conclusion a few weeks back was that LSD is more of a hinderance than anything on public roads but good for tracks when traction is taken to an extreme. Normal road driving you would never actually need it.

?!

That couldn't be further from the truth.
    Regarding the SS. I have and love. First to second can be a little notchy when cold, afterward, it's great. Have, love, will get it again.
    Be sure to get LSD. It's never a hinderance.

Quote:
    mawyatt said:
    ... I like it and it's not a problem to drive in traffic, just give yourself some time to get used to the notchy effect.

Mike

I agree with you that it is not a problem to drive the SS in traffic as before it was not a problem to drive in traffic without power steering. No problem at all but so much more comfortable now , to me this goes for the standard versus SS. It is acceptable in traffic but there is a better solution which is standard.

With a Short Shifter the harder you drive the better it gets.

Lucky the Tip spell wore off before you bought the car

Somewhere in Germany, a Porsche fanatic is crying...

Darius,

Like what eclou said, don't know if the short shifter change will apply to Europe, but my car was finished yesterday, as part of August production, I am told that my car HAS the short shifter. Only orders that were CHANGABLE as of early August will be affected by the new omission of the SS, Good luck

I had a standard shifter on my 993tt and changed to a short shifter on a 996tts. It took some getting used to....mostly that you must shift like you mean it. I now have taken deliver of a 997tt and have the short shifter in it. It is more "involving" (read work for some), but when I am driving the car, I am in a bit of Walter Middy land and enjoy the required engagement of the short shifter. If I am relaxing in the car, it is on a highway without shifting. To each his own!

Quote:
    eclou said:

This is interesting, as PAG sells more tips in Europe than in the US (not for turbos alone) and probably a lot of tips in Germany too.

Quote:
    DJB said:
    I had a standard shifter on my 993tt and changed to a short shifter on a 996tts. It took some getting used to....mostly that you must shift like you mean it. I now have taken deliver of a 997tt and have the short shifter in it. It is more "involving" (read work for some), but when I am driving the car, I am in a bit of Walter Middy land and enjoy the required engagement of the short shifter. If I am relaxing in the car, it is on a highway without shifting. To each his own!

I remember reading somewhere but can't remember where I read it, that a 993 had a tuetonic shifter..ie precise and determined.The 997 TT short shifter is so much better than the 993...it makes me very happy I made the change from the standard shifter.. if for that alone the 997TT is so complete...the short shifter is very tight. But the cars deliverable power, determination of grip and braking(PCCB's) clout is unreal. I am very happy I bought this car. I just hope the 998 isn't this compelling or I might join the "wow this is an expensive exercise" crowd.

Quote:
    993S said:
    Quote:
    thegratingone said:
    So, in the event I can't get the short-shifter, how bad is that? How important was the option?

I have the Turbo on order , am middle aged but like a sporty car so I initially ordered the car with SS. After my order I had the opportunity to test drive the Turbo with SS , I had the car for 3 hours. When I returned the car I canceled the SS option. It is really uncomfortable and not fitting the car. The feel of the gearchange must go with the feel of the clutch IMO. This is not the case with the SS. Clutch is extremely light and SS is extremely heavy/notchy.
    Also know that the standard shifter is more than short enough. So it comes down to either short shifting with comfort and ease (standard) or extreme short shifting with no comfort and very tiresome in traffic. This is my personal view.

There must be something wrong with the short shifter that you used. I agree that it's notchy when cold but it is as smooth as a hot knife through butter after a few minutes. Since I had the short shifter retrofitted, I had about 6 months with the standard shifter and I would not go back.

The SS is a little notchy at first then it smoothes up like butter after a couple thousand miles (except for first gear but I recall reading that Porsche fixed this problem with first). The unavailability of the SS as an option is a USA only problem. But you can still order it as an exclusive item for $$$. Then again, why would you do that when you can install the B&M SS kit for much less.

Quote:
    KJB said:
    Darius,

Like what eclou said, don't know if the short shifter change will apply to Europe, but my car was finished yesterday, as part of August production, I am told that my car HAS the short shifter. Only orders that were CHANGABLE as of early August will be affected by the new omission of the SS, Good luck

thanks..i think my and your car are twin

Quote:
    ADias said:
    Quote:
    eclou said:

This is interesting, as PAG sells more tips in Europe than in the US (not for turbos alone) and probably a lot of tips in Germany too.

Concerning your claim about tip/manual, I'm curious to read where did you see these figures? If you could post datas. Thank you.

2500 miles on my 997tt with manual

and wouldn't have it any other way - LSD, SS, SC

First Porsche I've owned with SS and I'll never get another car without it - it's perfect IMO.

this is my 14th Porsche and the best one I've ever driven

BTW - since you're in CT (apparently) - they've repaved the Saw Mill Parkway - it is an awesome drive in the turbo

Quote:
    polo said:
    Concerning your claim about tip/manual, I'm curious to read where did you see these figures? If you could post datas. Thank you.

I do not recall the source but it might have been Excellence. This info may be obtainable from PAG's annual reports.

Quote:
    ADias said:
    Quote:
    polo said:

I do not recall the source but it might have been Excellence. This info may be obtainable from PAG's annual reports.

I posted this info quite a while ago after RC asked me my source. I found more than one source in my auto mag collection. My posts really did not seem appreciated, thus, I won't bother to dig through the mags again. But if you do a search, you may find these previous posts..

Quote:
    Crash said:
    Quote:
    thegratingone said:
    I own a manual 996 and was planning on getting my Turbo 997 in Tip. Partially because of early good reports, but also for convenience (wife could drive, traffic). I'm having regrets and thinking of switching back to manual.

My question is this. I'd keep my order basically the same but switch off Tiptronic option. What other additions to the order do you guys recommend?

Short shifter?

Others?

Thanks.

LSD. And real women can drive a stick .

Newbie question. Is LSD "220 Axle-Differential Lock Rear"? What does it do?

Thanks.

From one newbie to another: Yes. Increases the price (but with the 6MT your still about $2500 less than the tip) It will assist in propelling you out of the tight corners and provide better grip on uneven-slippery surfaces. A highly recommended option with the manual tranny. Some of your savings could go for a dealer installed short shifter kit, which would be a personal preference item.

Quote:
    Over the Hill said:
    From one newbie to another: Yes. Increases the price (but with the 6MT your still about $2500 less than the tip) It will assist in propelling you out of the tight corners and provide better grip on uneven-slippery surfaces. A highly recommended option with the manual tranny. Some of your savings could go for a dealer installed short shifter kit, which would be a personal preference item.

Thanks. My dealer talked about this option helping from a standing start, but I thought he might be a little confused... Is he?

No I don't think so.

Let me add my name to the list of switch overs. Although I was concerned about the "money shift" (6th to 2nd), after having sampled the shift mechanism in a 911 I became convinced that that isn't an issue in this car.

Quote:
    Over the Hill said:
    No I don't think so.

Cool, thanks.

1.LSD
    2.Sport chrono
    3.Thicker steering
    4.Sport seats

Go 4 it

Quote:
    thegratingone said:
    Quote:
    Over the Hill said:

Thanks. My dealer talked about this option helping from a standing start, but I thought he might be a little confused... Is he?

It will help in any situation where the wheels lose traction, but instead of only one wheel losing traction, turning fruitlessly and wasting power, that power will also be transferred to the other wheel, to put it in layman's terms, which will allow you to power out of corners more efficiently. A great option.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    782059 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    442896 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    263517 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    261945 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    86010 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    6026 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

881691 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    819793 3868
    Porsche GT4RS 4/21/24 11:50 AM