Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Nav-TV iPod adapter install

I am scheduled to have the Nav-TV iPod adapter installed in my 997 C2S Cab tomorrow. I'll hopefully be able to post a report, together with some photos sometime over the weekend. My installer has already done one of these, and says that with the latest software revisions this is an amazing piece of kit.

I guess that I'll find out tomorrow !

Re: Nav-TV iPod adapter install

Keep us posted!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Please.

How much are you paying for the install? Do you have the Bose?

I'm in LA and very interested in it. From the screen shots I've seen you can access playlists, artist lists and album lists on the Porsche nav screen. I had Visions Mobile recommended. Is that who you're using? Thanks

OK... well it's installed - and it works. I have to say, for an integration to something as complicated as the PCM it works amazingly well. Once I worked out which buttons to push to access individual iPod menus, everything was fairly straightforward, and pretty fast.

The Nav-TV unit is installed behind the console out of sight, and the iPod sits out of the way in the glovebox. There really is no need to access it at all, as you can see everything on the PCM screen. It mimics a CD changer, with each of the six 'CD's' being represented by something on the main iPod menu (ARTIST, ALBUM, GENRE etc.)

Sound quality is good - obviously much, much better than an FM transmitter or modulator. The installer had a few problems, having to reboot everything in order to get the MOST loop to see the unit properly. Total time including testing was around 3 hours.

This was apparently the only unit in California (!) They are on backorder, as Nav-TV have had problems getting supplies of the original Apple plugs which they use on the lead that connects to the iPod. Estimated delivery time is 2-3 weeks.

The cost of the unit was $800. Installer reckons he will charge $300'ish in future for install - total $1100.

Was it worth it ? I would say yes. The installation is totally invisible, and the integration is almost flawless.

Have attached a photo of what comes up on the screen before you attach the iPod - will post some more pics. in due course.

This pic shows what happens when the iPod is connected - the main changer display mimics your main iPod display. A couple of points to note - you cannot search by podcast (I would have liked this as an option), although you can listen to podcasts (you have to find them via ARTIST). Also, although the screen shows an AUX IN, it is not enabled on the unit. Shame, as it would perhaps have been a simple way to add a SIRIUS unit.

One more photo... this time I have taken the iPod out of the glove box, just to show the display with the NAV-TV logo on it. The unit seems to be fairly resilient, and did not crash at any point when I unplugged the iPod, or turned the ignition off. It seems to remember where it left off when you plug the iPod back in, or turn the ignition back on.

A quick update after a couple of days... everything is working fine. On really big playlists, you have to wait a few seconds for the unit to catch up and display on the PCM, but it's nothing really.

In answer to the earlier question, I do have the Bose in this car - no problems there.

Once you get the hang of how the unit/screens work, it really is great. All the steering wheel controls work fine as well, so it's not too distracting. And before anyone has a go at me for not spending enough time listening to that fantastic engine - I live in LA, and unfotunately have to spend too much time in stationary traffic !

If anyone needs any further pics or info, let me know.

Here's one for you - how deep is the menu hierarchy? What I mean is that if the top-level iPod menus map on to the six permitted autochanger discs, what do you see when you click on say the "Artists" selection? Do you see a list of artists which is itself clickable? Do you then see a list of albums for that artist? (i.e. the same as your iPod).

I just can't quite get my head around how it would work unless the PCM allows a greater degree of menu nesting than the simple list of tracks on each of the six autochanger CDs. If the PCM only allows menus to be nested two levels deep then I can't see how it works intuitively.

Also, do you know whether it accesses the raw MP3 files digitally and then decodes them in the PCM unit, or does it take an analogue line output from the iPod. Does the logo on you iPod indicate that there is special software installed on the iPod?

Gary

OK... as far as I can work out :

1. The menu is, as you suspect, only two layers deep. This is not too much of a problem, as if you have an artist with two or more albums, all tracks are displayed on the screen together. In order to change artist, you have to return to the top screen and click on 'PLAY SELECTION'. This then takes you back to the second level of the menu screens, where you click on 'TRACK LIST' to bring up the tracks.

It is still advisable to manage your iPod playlists properly, as it's easier to select from a few playlists, and then skip through the tracks that you don't want to listen to that day. The display seems to grab 30 items at a time, so if you are accessing a long list, you have to wait a couple of seconds while the unit grabs the next 30 and so on. A bit of a pain if you are trying to scroll to 'T' in your alphabetical list of artists. That said, I have 7000 songs on my iPod, and the adapter works for me. Certainly far better than changing CD's, and I can play stuff that I have downloaded from iTunes Music Store, which I can't do on a regular MP3 disc.

2. I'm not absolutely certain on your second question, but I imagine that this is an analogue input. I don't think that the PCM is doing the decoding from MP3. In terms of software on the iPod, I'm told that the adapter is software-upgradeable via the iPod, but I have no more info right now. All I know is that there were problems with earlier software versions, which have apparently been ironed out by upgrades.

Hope this helps.

Although it's theoretically possible that the NAV-TV is using the iPod as a disk, reading the digital files and decoding them internally, it's unlikely. More likely it is simply using the line-out which is part of the multi-function adaptor on the bottom of the Gen 3, 4 and 5 players. Obviously, it's extracting the digital index data for Artists, Playlists, etc. which Apple has published.

Sounds like its working well. Who was the installer? Phone number? Were you happy with their work. I'd like to get one. Thanks.

This is great. Now people can get iPod!

Quote:
    MB997 said:
    Hope this helps.

Really useful info MB997.

As an interim solution (until full factory integration is available, if ever) the Nav-TV sounds like it may be the way to go. In an ideal world however, I'd love to see a PCM firmware upgrade to cope with the nested menu structure, but I doubt that will happen any time soon. Perhaps if we kidnap some Becker and Nav-TV employees and lock them in a room...

Gaz

Quick update...

Everything still working pretty well. Just a couple of times, the PCM seems to be struggling to find the 'CD Changer' (iPod). A quick disconnect and reconnect of the iPod in the glovebox has everything back to normal in seconds.

I'm still very pleased with the unit overall.

Thanks to your post, I just ordered mine, can't wait!

Is this the Denison unit or another one? I've lost track, but I believe there were two units being discussed all around the same time. Is there such a thing as a Porsche OEM iPod integration unit yet?

I ordered the Nav-TV one.

There is no OEM integration unit, and there will almost certainly not be one, at least before 2008 models.

We are referring here to the NAV-TV unit, not to the Dension or DICE units, neither of which have actually been released yet, although they have been promised for many months.

So much for MOST being a standard for manufacturers that will make integration easier...

MB997;

Does the Nav-TV ipod adapter recharges the ipod? If not, the problems you are having may be related to the ipod being discharged.

The adapter charges the iPod... I think this minor issue is software related. My guess is that Nav-TV will iron it out in a later release. In any event, it is a very small glitch fron an otherwise very satisfactory unit.

All still working fine. No issues after updating the iPod using the latest version of iPod installer software from Apple. (iTunes etc. has just been upgraded).

Just thought that I would keep you posted.

Thanks!

retail price on unit from nav-tv directly is $599...

How is it working out so far....my installer tells me he has had a couple of problems with installs burning out the car navigation system.......apparently Denison also have a system coming out soon which is meant to be 'more compatible'????....your thoghts will be appreciated....cheers

Still working fine... now I have had a few weeks with it, I'm getting quicker at navigating around the screens.

All in all, really pleased.

I think I have figured out the trick in overcoming the bug when starting the car. Trick seems to be to leave the car in map mode before one shuts down.

Good to hear.....finally I can look to get rid of the FM modulator!!!

with the nav tv can you also add a rear camera and sat radio?

No... there is an audio AUX-In, but it is not enabled in the software - perhaps in a later release ?

No video-in.

Anyone have any new news on the Dension Gateway product ??

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    689325 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    409088 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255697 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    234946 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65500 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4644 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

857898 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    773904 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM