Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 - Turbo Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Another one switched from Tip to 6-speed

I also switched my order from Tip to 6-speed a few days ago. I have had the chance to drive a 997TT tip for about 48hrs.
    The main reason I switched: I'm a person who really enjoys to go out for a drive without any destination in mind ... just get in the car and off you go ...
    I can do this for hrs in a row. After a 1hr drive in the tip I drove home......
    Perhaps I had a bad day so the next day I tried again. I actually FORCED myself to a 90 minute drive. I was glad when I got home. I turned around, looked at the car ... she looked great but she wasn't close to the joy of my 996TT. I called my dealer and ordered a 6-speed in stead.

I added LSD and the SS of course.
    Build date is October 2006.

Re: Another one switched from Tip to 6-speed

Your dealer will have to install the sport shifter when the car comes in as it is not offered as factory installed equipment any longer.

Don't feel bad, I'm in the same boat too..

Quote:
    Rami said:
    I also switched my order from Tip to 6-speed a few days ago. I have had the chance to drive a 997TT tip for about 48hrs.
    The main reason I switched: I'm a person who really enjoys to go out for a drive without any destination in mind ... just get in the car and off you go ...
    I can do this for hrs in a row. After a 1hr drive in the tip I drove home......
    Perhaps I had a bad day so the next day I tried again. I actually FORCED myself to a 90 minute drive. I was glad when I got home. I turned around, looked at the car ... she looked great but she wasn't close to the joy of my 996TT. I called my dealer and ordered a 6-speed in stead.

This is called last minute sanity! Congratulations, you won't regret it. Especially if what RC says about the different mapping of tip vs manual is true. In that case case any simple software mod will make any straight line advantage disappear.
    One question, what did you think of 997tt comparing to your 996tt? Tip aside, do you think it is bug step fwd in driving dynamics?

Great news Rami!!! Glad you changed your order!

Quote:
    Tony007 said:
    Your dealer will have to install the sport shifter when the car comes in as it is not offered as factory installed equipment any longer.

Rami lives in Belgium (Europe) , no problem at all to order SS as a factory option. Not offering this is a US thing.

Quote:
    Rami said:

Did you test drive the SS equipped turbo in Drogenbos ?
    I did and felt the standard shift is better for the car.
    I know I am in the minority here but still want to emphasize that the standard one is much more comfortable and still plenty short.

Congrats Rami
    Are you going to keep your 996TT? Did 997TT felt quicker than your tuned 996?

J.Seven

Quote:
    993S said:
    Quote:
    Tony007 said:

Rami lives in Belgium (Europe) , no problem at all to order SS as a factory option. Not offering this is a US thing.

Has anyone confirmed why they are singling out the US market with the stoppage?

@ GT: One question, what did you think of 997tt comparing to your 996tt? Tip aside, do you think it is bug step fwd in driving dynamics?
    -> My 996TT is a Sportec Stage II and it's a convertible so it's really hard to compare. The accelerations were definetely more linear in the 997TT, it was faster to 160kmh (didn't really test after that) but it only FELT faster till 100kmh (the start being mindblowing especially in the tiptronic). Driving dynamics is no comparison possible (coupe vs cabriolet).

@ Tony007: SS is still a normal option here and can be fitted from the factory. Sorry to hear they changed this for the US, can't imagine why they would do that tho

@ 993S: Yes, I drove the car at Drogenbos (both manual and tip) and the SS did feel strange at first. But after a very short while I became familiar with it and really started to like it. The standerd shifter is indeed smoother and is already like 15% shorter compared to the standard 996TT shifter. But again, for me it was really an addition to the car.

@ J.Seven: Thx man The 996TT cab is sold already and will go when I take delivery of my Gallardo Spyder (which is E-gear btw but that's another story). Normally this should be around October 2006. Getting REALLY anxious for the G lately

@ Porker: Thx man

Quote:
    Tony007 said:
    Quote:
    993S said:
    Quote:
    Tony007 said:

Has anyone confirmed why they are singling out the US market with the stoppage?

Maybe american women aren't used to handling such hard sticks?
    But probably just a trick to make dealerships more money by installing these things.

Congratulations. I've had my car for about six weeks. About half of my two-hour commute is in moderate traffic, and I've never regretted getting the six-speed. When the road opens up and I have some room, the manual is the only way for me. I've also got the sport shifter and love it. It feels so much more exact than the standard. I've read of people having issues with it being too stiff before warmed up, but I honestly haven't noticed any difference.

Please recall that the 997TT standard shifter's throws are about the same as the 996TT's Short Shifter's throws. The 997TT's SS are another 15% shorter. This is from Porche's brochures over the last year or two. I thought the standard would be short enought on my 997TT. Does this make any sense? Thank you.

Makes a lot of sense. Yes the new stock shifter is shorter than the 996tt. So what you get as stock is about what you got as SS in 996tt.

Quote:

@ J.Seven: Thx man The 996TT cab is sold already and will go when I take delivery of my Gallardo Spyder (which is E-gear btw but that's another story). Normally this should be around October 2006. Getting REALLY anxious for the G lately

Rami you'll have a fantastic Combo in your garage with those two, congrats.
    Gallardo is really a super car with a price of "this world". It's one of the most beautiful super cabs out there.

Can't waite to see pictures of your dreams on wheels next to each other

J.Seven

Quote:
    Rami said:
    @ GT: One question, what did you think of 997tt comparing to your 996tt? Tip aside, do you think it is bug step fwd in driving dynamics?
    -> My 996TT is a Sportec Stage II and it's a convertible so it's really hard to compare. The accelerations were definetely more linear in the 997TT, it was faster to 160kmh (didn't really test after that) but it only FELT faster till 100kmh (the start being mindblowing especially in the tiptronic). Driving dynamics is no comparison possible (coupe vs cabriolet).

@ Tony007: SS is still a normal option here and can be fitted from the factory. Sorry to hear they changed this for the US, can't imagine why they would do that tho

@ 993S: Yes, I drove the car at Drogenbos (both manual and tip) and the SS did feel strange at first. But after a very short while I became familiar with it and really started to like it. The standerd shifter is indeed smoother and is already like 15% shorter compared to the standard 996TT shifter. But again, for me it was really an addition to the car.

Thanks Rami, interesting since I also have sportec stage 2 540hp, 850nm (blueprinted engine) and I am preparing my switch to 997tt. The sportec guys told me that the standard 997tt manual hits 3.7sec to 100kms almost everytime they try so its really very fast off the line. However after that it would not keep up with stage 2 996tt. A simple ecu flash would probably take care of that since early reports say that it would bring 530-540 hp to the 997tt..
    Can't wait!

Quote:
    J.Seven said:
    Rami you'll have a fantastic Combo in your garage with those two, congrats.
    Gallardo is really a super car with a price of "this world". It's one of the most beautiful super cabs out there.

Can't waite to see pictures of your dreams on wheels next to each other

J.Seven

I can't wait either J.Seven
    But I can't complain ... the 996TTcab/955TT Sportec combo is already mighty nice.

GT: I'm pretty sure my 997TT will go to Sportec around June 2007. By then they should have had enough R&D done to make it solid.

Quote:
    Rami said:
    GT: I'm pretty sure my 997TT will go to Sportec around June 2007. By then they should have had enough R&D done to make it solid.

Cool Rami,

Yes, a 6-speed manual 997TT with tuning to the 550+HP range should be a blast. And at least two tuners are talking about a bigger VTG for their higher end 997TT upgrades (9ff and unofficially EVO). This means good low-end torque plus more reliable boost increase over stock 997TT!

I'm thinking of keeping my 996TSCab and getting a 997TTCoupe-either a baseTT or the TTS/powerkit depending on what Porsche does with their powerkit. I will probably eschew the GT2 since for the 911Turbo, I'll want all 4 wheels to take the humongous power. But I'll probably tune my Noble M400 (mid-engine, RWD only) to 500+HP (the "M500" ), if I am confident I won't trash the tranny. It's already pretty speedy in stock form now.

Your 996 still looks stunning!
    Does it stay in Belgium when the Gallardo comes?

What's with the taxi in the back? Doesn't quite fit the picture

It stays in the country Porker, it actually will only move for about 10-15 km

Are the wheels on the cab Sportec? If so, what do they weigh? They look fantastic, very purposeful. I would think that they would look great on the 997tt as well.

Rami, how many hp are you running on the Cayenne?
    You're right, it's already a good combo

J.Seven

Quote:
    devo said:
    Are the wheels on the cab Sportec? If so, what do they weigh? They look fantastic, very purposeful. I would think that they would look great on the 997tt as well.

Those are the Mono10 from Sportec indeed. And they already offer them for the 997TT but I personally like their new rims better. I honestly have no idea about the weight, sorry.

Quote:
    J.Seven said:
    Rami, how many hp are you running on the Cayenne?
    You're right, it's already a good combo

J.Seven

Thx J.Seven
    The CTT is now at 515HP which frankly is good enough.

rami, what is the color combo and option you ordered on the G spyder?

Quote:
    dhayek said:

Here is the list dhayek:

Grigio Proteus with black top
    E-Gear
    Anti theft system
    Sattelite tracking system
    Board computer
    Branding package
    Callisto alloys in titanium finish
    CI badge for wheels
    Ceramic brakes with silver grey calipers
    Electr. heated seats
    Interior black in alcantara combo
    Interior leather package 1
    Bianco polar stitching
    Steering wheel in alcantara
    Bluetooth module
    Lifting system
    Navigation system
    Rear view camera
    Winter package

Quote:
    Rami said:
    Quote:
    devo said:

Those are the Mono10 from Sportec indeed. And they already offer them for the 997TT but I personally like their new rims better. I honestly have no idea about the weight, sorry.

You're right, incredible!

Quote:
    Rami said:
    Quote:
    dhayek said:

Here is the list dhayek:

Grigio Proteus with black top
    E-Gear
    Anti theft system
    Sattelite tracking system
    Board computer
    Branding package
    Callisto alloys in titanium finish
    CI badge for wheels
    Ceramic brakes with silver grey calipers
    Electr. heated seats
    Interior black in alcantara combo
    Interior leather package 1
    Bianco polar stitching
    Steering wheel in alcantara
    Bluetooth module
    Lifting system
    Navigation system
    Rear view camera
    Winter package

wow!! amazing choice! the only one i didnt knew about is the alcantara combo, i assume its the seats and door panels that are leather alcantara? never seen it. the bluetooth module is fabulous , i have it in my car. have you considered the piping?

Congrats for your choice, Rami!

Quote:
    Rami said:

Love them too! The 'old' Mono10 are pretty heavy. Don't have the numbers, but my tire-dealer confirmed it today again.
    I wonder if they'll do the new ones in 18"... Would love to see them on my car...

Quote:
    dhayek said:
    wow!! amazing choice! the only one i didnt knew about is the alcantara combo, i assume its the seats and door panels that are leather alcantara? never seen it. the bluetooth module is fabulous , i have it in my car. have you considered the piping?

A pic might say it all, the interior is pretty simular ... the steering wheel will be in alcantara tho, not in leather as shown below:

Good to hear that the bluetooth module is working
    I didn't consider piping simply bc I don't really like it, just a personal opinion of course!

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/11/24 6:53 AM
    GnilM
    752878 1796
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    430549 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    258512 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    255422 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    79499 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5248 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

868139 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    801706 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM