Crown

Board: Other Sports Cars Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: AM - Large but beautiful

Ok, that's it you've just killed me.
    Of to bed soon with some nice dreams ahead!
    Don't rule out the 996 dude, it's a great car. Great fun till the AMV8 or whichever.
    Take care.

Quote:
    Who ordered a SL55 recently???

Shhhhh!!!!

C'mon over, I'm ready for some drinking and good time around town

Fanch,
    Yes, that's what I am told, but it still seems to be pretty quick and responsive.

Ron,
    those are great pics and you are just 5 min from the dealer My main concern for Aston is the lack of dealer infrastructure here, the final weight of the car (it uses the DB9's VH platforn), and reliability (specially with spirited driving) of which I have no clue which in turn reinforces the first concern. But its got everything else is just right, and its presence and class are MORE than just right.

Fanch,
    no ladies for me, I'm out of the game... I'm married! Interestingly this Friday late at night I got hit on by a car with four young ladies at a stoplight while alone in the olde 996
    The chief engineer for Aston now is Dr. Ulrich Bez which is a guarantee of great engeneering, he is has worked for Porsche in the past, if I remmeber correctly during the 993 era. Thats another plus for Aston.

Quote:
    The chief engineer for Aston now is Dr. Ulrich Bez which is a guarantee of great engeneering, he is has worked for Porsche in the past, if I remmeber correctly during the 993 era.

That's right. I think he's also know as the father of 993. Dr. Bez rules .

Quote:
    Ron (Houston) said:
    Quote:
    Who ordered a SL55 recently???

Shhhhh!!!!

C'mon over, I'm ready for some drinking and good time around town

Did I miss something? C'mon, Ron...don't say you did the same mistake as I did? Used to a 911, you'll hate the SL55 in 6 months. Better get a 996 Turbo Cab instead, you'll be much happier.

No RC fanch is teasing me. When he was in Houston last year one day I got a phone call from MB dealer and asked me if I wanted to order a SL55 and told yes and spec'ed out the car too and changed my mind about picking it up. That's all.

I'm still a Porsche man

I confirm that,
    Not only has he worked for Porsche under the 993 era, he IS basically the 993!
    Seems he's quite bitter towards Porsche now unfortunately, in a recent interview, he said that to have credibility and prestige, a sports car brand must only concentrate on sports cars, since Porsche makes minivan (I quote ) I do not consider them a sports car company anymore.
    I don't know what happened when he left Porsche, but I presume he didn't make many friends there.
    Shame...
    But as an engineer, he is great. He was also at BMW before Porsche.

Re the V8, you're right Carlis, all three Aston models (DB9, V8 and Vanquish) use the VH platform, in the interview, the Aston engineer, said the only weight saving in the V8 compared to the DB9 are the mechanical elements, the fact that the car body is smaller and much less insulating elements. I quote: The car sounds much more sporty inside and out!

I just hope it looks exactly like the Concept.

Quote:
    Fanch said:

I 100% agree...the concept is probably one of the most beautiful cars I have ever seen!

Quote:
    Fanch said:

95% of the exterior will stay and 75% of the interior will stay. You'll notice the instrument panel has been lifted directly from the AMV8 and installed in the DB9. Things from the exterior that will change are the pop-out door handles that are flush when not in use and a few road legality issues like lighting and reflectors. The interior will probably combine elements from the showcar and the DB9. Perhaps more metals than wood though.

- J

Quote:
    Justin said:
    Perhaps more metals than wood though.

Yeah I hope that's true as well, because metal is definetly more sporty than wood.

Re: Aston Martin pictures

Have you guys read the Evo article on Astons future?
    You can download the scanned article here:
    Evo AM article

T

Thanks for the link temm

You're welcome!

Damn, that AMV8 is good looking! It will be even better looking than the DB9, which is IMO one of the best, if not the best, looking cars on the market today.

Personally I am a bit disappointed by 997s looks, at least from the latest pictures on the 996 board, and I would take the AMV8 over the 997 any day of the week.

T

Unbelievably great looking car that seems to pull in decades of AM heritage without looking 'retro.' On looks alone, I'm in.

But my fear is that, in the end, it won't match a 911 for handling and sport performance. My fear is that it will be a little sportier than the DB9 but not really get there. I hope I'm wrong, I'd love to see this car drive like it looks.

(I drive like I look, which is about five miles of bad road!)

Dain

Can't argue with the truth

carrageous,

No doubt that Porsche is superior in hadeling and performance but Dr. Bez from Porsche has done an excellent job on the company.
    AMV8 is absolutely a beatiful car that you drive around town this is where Porsche has the advantage, you drive it everyday and take it to the tack on the weekends.

But overall I have been inlove (don't let my wife know ) with AMV8 ever since they introduce it last year.

Quote:
    But overall I have been inlove (don't let my wife know ) with AMV8 ever since they introduce it last year.

Ditto me. Something in the lines of that car is tremendously stirring. Always wanted an Aston when I was a kid in the Sixties. Maybe this is the one!

Dain

For some reason it just bothers me that Aston will be making all of it's cars all on one platform??? Im afraid driving an AMV8 might be like driving a shruken DB9?? But whats wrong with that???????????.......It just bothers me....

great link temm

Quote:
    M5er said:
    For some reason it just bothers me that Aston will be making all of it's cars all on one platform??? Im afraid driving an AMV8 might be like driving a shruken DB9?? But whats wrong with that???????????.......It just bothers me....

Wheelbase, track, suspension settings, engine, etc. make for huge contributions as to how a car drives. Does a Cadillac XLR drive the same as the Corvette C6?

sign me up! i'll take the AMV8, fer shur.

Does a Cadillac XLR drive the same as the Corvette C6?

No,

I just think that it might be a little lazy of them just to offer a whole bunch of different models for different extremes of high pricing all on one platform. It's like why would anyone want to buy the new Vanquish replacement(whenever that gets here?)when they could spend less and get a AMV8 and have the same car??? I doubt there will be a high degree of descrepancy between the two cars. I think if they want to have diversity in their model range they should just do what Porsche has done with the 911 and split one car into 12 or so different models??? No big deal, just a little odd.

Quite simply, they aren't the same cars at all. Perhaps you are greatly misjudging how similary these cars will drive and feel. I can't tell you for sure until next year. BTW, the new Vanquish will probably have around 550hp (my speculation). Slightly different demographics. I know a lot of folks in the Aston club and many of the DB9 contingent aren't even considering the AMV8 and vice versa.

- J

I don't know how close the DB9 and AMV8 will be but as far as I know they are based on the same platform but it will differ in each, the aluminum VH platform invented by Bez has the characteristic that it can be easily be modified in its dimensions for the different models but without mayor chages in the production chain. So it will be tailored to the AMV8 differently than in the DB9, but its a way to save costs for such a small company like Aston while allowing them to offer a more varied model range. So the AMV8 may be quite diferent in the end to the DB9, though its pure speculation in my part.

Sorry guys!

i realy apologize for being THAT late replying to you, but the day after my post i happened to get a torn lipament to my right foot, because i moved down a stair propably a bit too fast.

what so ever, i'm healing at the moment and have time to relax, which isn't the worst case.
    i don't need to have an operation, and today i was able to move to an internet access to reply.

aston seems to have changed their picture policy, because i couldn't find the login section within the media section anymore.
    after the auto show in frankfurt i wrote them to post some pictures i wasn't able to get myself due to my bad back at this moment (it seems i'm over 100 years old ) and received the access kit.

now i've finished my new flat which took me ages to move in due to renovation trouble and so onandonandon.

but, to get back to the point, here's the link to beatiful aston pictures.
    the have a privacy statement that one could be offended by posting those, but no word about posting the link

so i hope most of you enjoy them and sorry once again for the heavy delay.

greetings to all!

floren

http://www.astonmartin.com/gallery_base.html

Quote:
    floren said:
    so i hope most of you enjoy them and sorry once again for the heavy delay.

That's all right, as you can see, we had a lively discussion in your absence. Sorry to hear about your leg and thanks for the link.

Dain

I hope you are doing better now Floren. Terrible thing to happen but may you get back on your feet soon.

- J

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/29/24 1:47 PM
    Enmanuel
    691157 1781
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    410237 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    256270 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    235429 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65757 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4747 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

858874 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    775188 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM