Crown

Board: Other Sports Cars Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Clarkson Picks Gallardo Over Ferrari

Well Jeremy has done it again. He has now denounced Ferrari
    and Ferraris.

In a recent test of a Gallardo Spyder - wich he adored for its complete package; design, fun spirit, reliability and also commented that he is thinking of buying of buying one -he took aim at all things Ferraris,to wit:

"Ferrari these days are just a bit too up themselves for my liking"

"I don't like the way Jean Todt sits on the pit wall every other weekend looking like his dog just died."

"And I don't like the way they won't allow their cars to be featured in the Gran Turismo racing game."

"For the first time ever you can buy a Lamborghini. And I think I might."

Hes quite fed up with all things Ferrari.

Re: Clarkson Picks Gallardo Over Ferrari

Soon our own Nick will follow suit.

Quote:
    ha said:

I doubt it. He can afford a free Ferrari, but can he really afford a car that actually costs money?

7 months and 6000km in my gallardo ,i never visited the repair shop once, and never any fault,CEL or whatever. amazing car. honestly the best car i ever bought in my entire life, and i bought a lot

Quote:
    Crash said:
    Quote:
    ha said:

I doubt it. He can afford a free Ferrari, but can he really afford a car that actually costs money?

I think Ha is right. Nick is now in his "yellow" period:
    Yellow car, Yellow stitching etc..He may tire of that and soon realize that yellow is no longer popular,its a old 90's show car color that is going the way of the dodo bird.

So Nick, sell now and trade up to a Lambo

Orange is the new IN color And no Ferrari can look good in orange! EVER !!!! :x

Witness the march of orange, Lambo does orange well inside and out..... and now Orange is taking over everywhere ..

Lamborghini, Porsches, even the Audi RS4 are now available in orange. Yellow is fast becoming passe, so get out and move up now while you are still $$$ ahead.

Orange is in

Clarkson is a flip-floper (which is kind of why I like him ). He doesn't like the F430, the car he espoused as the working of God, because of Jean Todt, Montezolmo and Grand Turismo? Gotta love that Brit wit.

They're both great cars, but the G is looking to step it up over the competition (kudos!)

Clarkson seems to flip flop just because he feels like it sometimes. Here is a guy that lambasts American sports cars then says how awesome the new Shelby Cobra, at 4k pounds, is. And then there was his test of the Gallardo Spyder, which he claims that, just because its a spyder, is worlds better than the coupe. What a bunch of rubbish.

What made me laugh more was his comparison between the standard gallardo and the roadster.. without actually mentioning the obvious difference (the roof) and without explaining any mechanical differences (does it have any?) he managed to describe it as a crazy/fun/brilliant car and the coupe as boring - the only thing close to an explaination for his difference of opinion was the orange seats in the convertible.

But I think he says this just to make people talk about his shows!

After many years of observing Clarkson, I've come to the conclusion that the man is becoming less rational with age.

Orange is the only way to go ;-)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-dT3Dn611LM

Quote:
    Oxonian said:
    After many years of observing Clarkson, I've come to the conclusion that the man is becoming less rational with age.

Clarkson's reports do not have any real substance. They consist of hollow sensationalist statements made purely to catch attention, rather then the expression of true opinions based on profound assessment or analysis.

To maintain the interest of his audience, he has to escalate the level of sensationalism as time goes on, to avoid his reports being perceived as an anti-climax compared to what has gone before.

What you perceive as irrationality is a sign of his desperation, as the content of his reports has now completely lost touch with reality.

Quote:
    Crash said:
    Quote:
    ha said:

Crash...once again an off-color comment from you. How do you know, and more importantly, what business is it of yours what someone else can or cannot afford. You quite often come off as an elitest, but I still think the term total jerk fits you even better.

Quote:
    ha said:

I doubt it. Nick is more of a gold diamond encrusted Rolex kind of guy. Vulgar. The Gallardo is a more tasteful and classy car, like plain platinum Patek Calatrava.

David

Quote:
    JimFlat6 said:
    Well Jeremy has done it again. He has now denounced Ferrari
    and Ferraris.

In a recent test of a Gallardo Spyder - wich he adored for its complete package; design, fun spirit, reliability and also commented that he is thinking of buying of buying one -he took aim at all things Ferraris,to wit:

Link to the article:
    http://driving.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,12529-2319046,00.html

Say what you want, but he is funny
    Quote:
    In the whole of human history it has been impossible to buy a Lamborghini unless you are Rod Stewart. They've always been just too silly, strutting around in their leopardskin underpants asking all and sundry if we thought they were sexy.
    The company began making industrial heaters but quickly the proprietor realised that this was a waste of his name. If you're called Stan Arkwright you can make industrial heaters, but if you are called Ferruccio Lamborghini you need to start making cars with guns on them, for Rod Stewart.

As cars go they were pretty hopeless. The Miura took off if you asked it to go faster than 80, and the Countach was as wieldy as a meat locker. The clutch was set in concrete, the steering wheel was nailed to the dash, and the air-conditioning had all the vim and vigour of an arthritic punkawallah.

But there's no getting away from the fact that it went grrrrrr a lot, and looked spectacular. Did we think it was sexy? As a car, no. But as a poster on a wall it rang rings round even that tennis girl scratching her bottom.

Porsche would sell you a precision instrument. A powerful cutting tool with zero flex and the unbreakability of carbon-granite.

Lambo, on the other hand, just painted its cars orange and fitted doors that opened upwards.

After the Countach went away we got the Diablo, which could get from 0 to 60 . . . once. And then you'd be covered in a thin film of what used to be the clutch. And after the Diablo came the Murciélago which, so far as I can tell, was designed specifically to appear at parties, backwards, in a cloud of tyre smoke shouting "Mine's a tequila".

Quote:
    DavidSF said:
    Quote:
    ha said:

I doubt it. Nick is more of a gold diamond encrusted Rolex kind of guy. Vulgar. The Gallardo is a more tasteful and classy car, like plain platinum Patek Calatrava.

David

Ehhh, if I'm rolling a Gallardo in my neighborhood, I think the geriatrics won't exactly tip their cap to my classiness

p.s. I love Patek's, but I have friends that tend to adorne diamond encrusted 100k+ rolex's

Quote:
    RonnieC6Z said:
    Quote:
    Crash said:
    Quote:
    ha said:

Crash...once again an off-color comment from you. How do you know, and more importantly, what business is it of yours what someone else can or cannot afford. You quite often come off as an elitest, but I still think the term total jerk fits you even better.

Ronnie, before you call someone a total jerk, make sure you know what everything is about if you don't want to be the one actually coming off as the jerk.
    That commnent from crash is a tongue-in-cheek comment in reference to Nick always getting his Ferraris for practically free since he can flip them with his dealer for new ones at no cost since the resale in LA of Ferraris is so good. It has been a cause for teasing back and fourth with Nick, all in good fun. Just ask Nick about it. Nick has always liked teasing members but on his defense he can take it as well, and it always been good fun with him, always respectful.

Please stick to strickly car-talk in the future, you are the one who I have been seeing making off-color comments in general in the forum. The last one I read, you directly insulted one of the moderators/administrators, which IMO was the straw that broke the camels back, and a reason to ban you IMO, so take this as a friendly warning for next time, if you don't have anything nice to say, don't say it at all, leave the moderation job to the moderators, and lets get back to car related talk. Anything else do it by private messaging.

Quote:
    Carlos from Spain said:
    Quote:
    RonnieC6Z said:
    Quote:
    Crash said:
    Quote:
    ha said:

Ronnie, before you call someone a total jerk, make sure you know what everything is about if you don't want to be the one actually coming off as the jerk.
    That commnent from crash is a tongue-in-cheek comment in reference to Nick always getting his Ferraris for practically free since he can flip them with his dealer for new ones at no cost since the resale in LA of Ferraris is so good. It has been a cause for teasing back and fourth with Nick, all in good fun. Just ask Nick about it. Nick has always liked teasing members but on his defense he can take it as well, and it always been good fun with him, always respectful.

Please stick to strickly car-talk in the future, you are the one who I have been seeing making off-color comments in general in the forum. The last one I read, you directly insulted one of the moderators/administrators, which IMO was the straw that broke the camels back, and a reason to ban you IMO, so take this as a friendly warning for next time, if you don't have anything nice to say, don't say it at all, leave the moderation job to the moderators, and lets get back to car related talk. Anything else do it by private messaging.

Carlos well written!

Ronnie part of the fun is to take jabs at one another. As long as it is done in good taste, respectfully and well intentioned it makes the chat site more enjoyable.

German influence on the gallardo has made it a much better car. However, in the US the gallardo is the fall back purchase for those who want a Ferrari but cannot get one. The reason I buy Ferrari is not because it is cost free to me but it provides me excitement which does not require me driving the car at the edge. Gallardo comes very close but is not there yet.

Quote:
    Carlos from Spain said:
    Quote:
    RonnieC6Z said:
    Quote:
    Crash said:
    Quote:
    ha said:

Yes, thank you! That's exactly how it was meant. Thanks for clarifying, Carlos . IMO Nick is an essential member of this board, much more than many of us here, and him leaving would be a loss for the board (I can't believe I'm typing this ). So let the verbal jousting continue!

Quote:
    fritz said:
    Quote:
    Oxonian said:

Clarkson's reports do not have any real substance. They consist of hollow sensationalist statements made purely to catch attention, rather then the expression of true opinions based on profound assessment or analysis.

To maintain the interest of his audience, he has to escalate the level of sensationalism as time goes on, to avoid his reports being perceived as an anti-climax compared to what has gone before.

What you perceive as irrationality is a sign of his desperation, as the content of his reports has now completely lost touch with reality.

Exactly!

His job is to SELL! Take him for what it is...entertainment, and once in a while you get some good commentary. You just have to pick through the pile.

Quote:
    Hurst said:
    Quote:
    DavidSF said:
    Quote:
    ha said:

David

Ehhh, if I'm rolling a Gallardo in my neighborhood, I think the geriatrics won't exactly tip their cap to my classiness

p.s. I love Patek's, but I have friends that tend to adorne diamond encrusted 100k+ rolex's

Actually it doesn't take anyone special to recognize class. Your average person will snicker behind the back of someone wearing a gold diamond encrusted Rolex. Your average person can see the class on a platinum Patek. That watch exudes class.

David

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    777956 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    441983 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    262919 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    261156 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    85405 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5681 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

880830 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    816374 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM