Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Personalized License Plate

I am getting ready to register my new C2S and am considering a personalized plate. However I am having trouble coming up with anything clever. Has anyone seen any good ones or have any suggestions (max 7 spaces). I will be registering it in TN.

Re: Personalized License Plate

How bout BOOVOLS

IMO, save yourself the trouble. Unless you live in a big anonymous urban area, don't make your car more memorable than it already is. You pass someone and they get pissed; they remember you ("a rich speeding a-hole") by your clever plate next time they see your car parked somewhere and teach you a lesson with their key. That's my two cents.

DEALMKR -- got the owner nearly ARRESTED (only pulled out of his car at gunpoint in Nevada).

(Apparently is was the same plate that had been reported stolen several years earlier on ANOTHER Porsche!)

Dan

Quote:
    GA997S said:
    How bout BOOVOLS

That is funny

Since you're in the "I'm considering" phase, instead of the further-developed "I am getting" phase, I'll toss in my honest 2-cents.. I usually find vanity plates to be only slightly less-goofy than banner messages in windshield tint. There are rare exceptions when somebody really does nail something original, inspired and appropeaux, but it's so rare... My rules of thumb are...

1. Any reference to an allegience to a sports team is always acceptable... Just watch out when you travel!! But it's always next to impossible coming up with anything decent that hasn't already been taken.

2. Any reference to the type of car it is... is just plain stupid and redundant. Would you buy a new Rolex, and then get a t-shirt that says "I'm wearing a Rolex beeyotch!!".... No, I didn't think so... Those types of plates always smack of flaunting the car.

3. Examples of nauseatingly goofy vanity plate themes? "My Toy", "Mikes 911", "2fast4u", etc... Plates that proclaim ownership are like the little white iron-on tags your mom put on your clothes, and wrote your name on, before sending you to summer camp. Plates that proclaim prowess or speed just make you look like an ego-obsessed jerkoff who needs to be taught a lesson by a kid in a home-built 5-liter Mustang with 500 rwhp..

4. Lastly, no plates that reference your profession. Nobody cares but your own ego.

I'm probably not telling you anything you don't already know... I'm just ranting in-general about vanity plate faux pas...

Quote:
    69bossnine said:
    2. Any reference to the type of car it is... is just plain stupid and redundant. Would you buy a new Rolex, and then get a t-shirt that says "I'm wearing a Rolex beeyotch!!".... No, I didn't think so... Those types of plates always smack of flaunting the car.

As opposed to an id like,,, say,,,,,,, "69bossnine" or "STRADALE". LOL!!!

Hey boss remind me not to drive by you w/ my plate 997S CAB, I didn't realize there were license plate haters out there. Honestly I never realized anyone gave it so much thought. I never have and I have 997TURBO reserved for my next Porsche but it's for ME, doesn't have anything to do w/ what people think/ I really don't care,,,,, it sooths my pyscho OCD side instead of looking at XF4D7641 on the back. lol!!

My F-car is "AJ SAMMY" - my kids nickname's but that's only because my kids get a real kick out of having their names on "our" Ferrari. And if it makes then happy then I'm all for it.

ps: If you read your whole message in Dennis Leary's voice it's perfect.

All well and good...

But I don't think comparing license tags to usernames is analogous. If the site just generated an indexed amalgam of numbers and letters, nobody would be able to keep track of or remember who's who. It's a situation where personalization has a functional purpose.

Besides, on a Porsche forum, I always figured that nobody would have a clue what my username meant, and if they did, I didn't figure an archaic American-made muscle car would qualify as chest-puffing..

If I'm being hypocritical, then I'd happily edit my username to "Captain Moron" or "Sir Jackass". But then again, I've always found self-depricating vanity plates to be humorous..

I applaud your putting the kids on the back of the Ferrari. My KTM520 that I race occassionally (not enough lately) runs the number "117". My 4-year old daughter was born January 17th... I tell myself that running her b'day as my number has protected me from harm...thusfar at least... (knocking on wood...)

In accordance with my don't-get-noticed plate idea.

I tried to come up with a "vanity" plate that would be very hard or confusing to remember.

Something like:

T7LQIB1

Couldn't do it though, would have to research how brain remembers signs and symbols... .

Quote:
    69bossnine said:
    All well and good...

But I don't think comparing license tags to usernames is analogous. If the site just generated an indexed amalgam of numbers and letters, nobody would be able to keep track of or remember who's who. It's a situation where personalization has a functional purpose.

Besides, on a Porsche forum, I always figured that nobody would have a clue what my username meant, and if they did, I didn't figure an archaic American-made muscle car would qualify as chest-puffing..

If I'm being hypocritical, then I'd happily edit my username to "Captain Moron" or "Sir Jackass". But then again, I've always found self-depricating vanity plates to be humorous..

I applaud your putting the kids on the back of the Ferrari. My KTM520 that I race occassionally (not enough lately) runs the number "117". My 4-year old daughter was born January 17th... I tell myself that running her b'day as my number has protected me from harm...thusfar at least... (knocking on wood...)

Boss - I've always been more intrigued by your avatar than by your username.

Nobody expects The Spanish Inquisition ("Oh Bugger")

Or, maybe, "Fear, Surprise and Ruthless Efficiency" may sum up your secret chief weapons.

Which Cardinal would you prefer to be likened to - Ximinez, Biggles or Fang?

I think an appropriate signature for you would be:-

"I'll come in again."

Its hard to help, give us some hint what you like.
    California has a website with all the ones taken, you can play with that and come up with something you like thats similar...

What the heck is BOOVOLS..?? mean

My plate, not good resolution, pic at night

Long time rivalry between the Georgia Bulldogs and the University of Tennessee Volunteers.

Get a plate, its fun, you can trade it to future vehicles or have them destroy it. I like clever ones.
    When the 997 was on order I had the plate put on hold from my sold pcar.... I tried for VIX BOX on my boxster...my friend came up with it, thought it was great..declined!! ;-)

Someone asked me if I was a eye doctor...ahh hello NO
    Vik Eye

i think personalized plates are a waste of money and usually they don't make any sense.

attempts at humour are usually poorly recieved.

"it seemed like a good idea at the time"

there poorly received cuz....In NYC, there is no humour!!?

Universal sign is the 'Finga" followed by growling.

I'm gonna agree with Vincenzina on this one. It's pretty boring if everyone has plates with random numbers and letters. Life's too short. Need to have fun. Admittedly, some can be outright cheesy or dorky. But they can be clever. Some chicks that have good ones are just plain sexy..

I have a long list I came up with planenuts4speed but YOU have to come up with your own. It's kinda fun, give it a try; it's called thinking.
    My next vanity plate here in North Carolina will be DASEIN.
    I'm an old Philosophy major and Heidegger used it to help explain what it means "to be, to exist". Plus, it's a German word on a German car.

the old street racer trick is the random order of 'O's & 'Q's
    eg. OOQOQQO

in number plate print they all look the same.
    its a dislexic nightmare!
    & a cop will have no chance piecing that together in time to book Mr P-Car..

A friend of mine had so many plates over the years,--let's see.

FASTNUF
    FORSALE
    O2GO162

and there is the perennial favorite, 6ULDV8

Dan

I suppose it all comes down to individual perception of "humor" and "clever"...

Too many people out there who thought "Friends" was a riot (ugghhhh)..

Too many people who actually think Bob Saget is the world's greatest comedian...

The same blistering wits who when they see Monty Python and the Holy Grail for the first time, have to turn and ask you why Patsy is clapping two coconut halves together, and then proceed to watch the next 15 minutes in a state of perplexed paralysis, and then ask if you can switch it off, because America's Funniest Home Videos is coming on at the top of the hour..

Folks who say "Dumb and Dumber was so stupid...", but they loved the sequel..

I'm not opposed to funny license plates at all, and I feel that I'm a very happy and joking guy!!! I'm just saying I'm sick of being tortured by attempts at clever that only Tammy Faye Baker and Jessica Simpson would giggle at.

I know, I know, I'm being a snooty and bitter clod... Well, somebody's gotta say it!!!

If ya just gotta have something witty billboarded on the rear of your ride, make sure it's razor sharp... A good bumper sticker can make you laugh out loud in traffic and brighten your day....

Although I'm not a fan of personalize plate, it is easier to remember the plate # if you've too many cars and/or change cars a lot (provided that you use new plate every time).

What is the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow?

European or African??

Had to be an African Swallow.

btw...how do you know so much about swallows?

I just read the pre-season scouting report for UGA...

Quote:
    69bossnine said:
    I just read the pre-season scouting report for UGA...

Good laugh? Any chance against the Gators this year?
    If we can protect the QB (whomever it is) we may win 8...

URPOOR

longNthick

JST- DRYV

mine's appropriate for a fine German machine:

BAHNBNR

gotten lots of positive comments where I live...

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    776931 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    441608 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    262729 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    260879 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    85144 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5531 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

880590 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    815766 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM