Crown

Board: Porsche - Cayman Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

The coxster as J. Clarckson put it

Read this. It's not an article on the cayman but all he does is speak about it ... unfortunatly.

What an [[censored] fool.

Page link click here web page

Re: The coxster as J. Clarckson put it

Oh my, he is at his evil best. Well, at least he lets us know how he truly feels.

I usually agree with him but I am not so sure regarding the Cayman. His points regarding the car have some merit but notice he never discusses what an excellent performing car it is. If this car was produced by any one other than Porsche it would be a smashing success.

I'm sorry to say that if you are in the market for a car to be seen in, the Coxster or Gayman is probably not the car for you... (then again I would argue that what you need isn't a car at all, but that's a different story)... so to that point Jeremy is right on target. I would recommend an automatic 911 to drive around the city, don't forget your sunglasses and look left and right as you drive down the busy streets.

My experience, here out in the NW, is that people along side ask what model it is and whether it's new and how it drives, etc... Up to two days ago this only happened at stop lights, but I've got a new one for you... low highway speeds, someone pulls next to me with their windows down to ask about the car ;-) Maybe they were laughing after I answered their question, but the only grin I felt was mine when I sped up and disappeared in front of them...

I know I overpaid, but I didn't want a 911. I wanted clean handling sports car for every day driving... and this car does that for me. I used to be a penny pinching European (born in Geneva - I mean no offence to anyone out there), but along the way I've come to realize that we only got one life and what you leave for tomorrow may just never happen...

Jeremy, call me frugal, call me weird, call me a Gay-man, or even laugh as I drive by if that makes you feel better... whatever you wish. I know what I'm sitting in and I'm comfortable with that. By the way, you're free to drive behind me anytime

No that's pure press sensationalism! I mean I have some friends now that own the Cayman, and all of them like the car and especially the way it drives and handles.... Also it just is that I work as a car designer, and even if on the first pictures some of my colleagues, and including me, where a little sceptical about the looks once you see the Cayman in the flesh the car looks really well and aggressive and has a good design to it.
    Also I have heard from a lot of people that don't care too much about cars telling me about the new little Porsche that it looks really nice. And everyone see it as a REAL Porsche!

And me personaly I don't give a sh**t on what the Clarkson says, because what they are doing on Top Gear in the last episodes whas just show not cars.... Just look at the way he acts in a lot of circumstances.....!!!! Exagerating with things like "give me a hammer", "don't need to read the manuals", "power, power".... so on. So please don't worry about his articles.... they are worth nothing when he does not write about italian cars.....

Some more attempts trying to understand the motivation behind JC's awful comments:
    http://www.rennteam.com/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=259998&an=0&page=0#259998

Anyway, the Cayman is a terrific car - I'm sure that most Cayman owners can care less about such BS.
    Actually you can turn around the argument: a car getting such strong reactions must be a car with character

When comparing the 996 GT3RS to the ridculously more expensive 360 CS, JC said he thinks of 911's as trumped up Volkswagons (as opposed to Ferraris, which are tiny slices of God). He stridently dislikes all Porsches, or at least claims to. And then the trumped up Volkswagon tied the tiny slice of God around the track with the Stig at the wheel. lol JC is the tool, not the people in Caymans.

Clarkson is the "Nick Berry" of automotive journalism. 'nuff said.

David

Quote:
    DavidSF said:

David

No Clarkson is funny

Quote:
    TEE1 said:
    Quote:
    DavidSF said:

David

No Clarkson is funny

he also loves the cgt!

jeff

ROLF!!!!
    Great, just great, i needed a laugh

Quote:
    nberry said:
    Oh my, he is at his evil best.

You're so right. It's just bashing the car and no objectivity nor professionalism. It makes you wonder how he can call himself a journalist. I'd like him to host temptation island or survivor ... it would be great with his sarcasm.

Who Cares What He Thinks

To be quite blunt. Remember this if the British knew so much about cars all their car companies would not be owned by the Americans and Germans.

Re: Who Cares What He Thinks

It seems that we know a little more about humour than Americans and Germans though, eh?

Point taken. Sorry for the attitude

Quote:
    ElTonioni said:
    It seems that we know a little more about humour than Americans and Germans though, eh?

I sold my 996 TT for a 987 S. The turbo was great but once I hit 80 or 90 mph I didn't want to go any faster cause I'd be put in the gray bar hotel. The boxster is better balanced and I don't feel like I need to go 150 to get my money's worth.

Quote:
    tincanman99 said:
    Point taken. Sorry for the attitude

Quote:
    ElTonioni said:
    It seems that we know a little more about humour than Americans and Germans
    though, eh?

I love J. Coxson's wit, however I find his pro - British view on cars so boring.

what this guy is doing is really a shame. I mean you don't have to love any brand, each his own, but telling such stupid stories, and bashing arround, has nothing to do with journalism. If you ask me, Porsche should stop givin them cars. Cause what he is doing is hit already long time ago the bikini zone, if you understand what I mean.

Hey, another guy that ditched a 996tt for less power in a mid-engined format! Me, too. Don't really miss it at all either. But I did go to RUF for a faster boxster.

i own a Cayman S and still find him funny (even if i disagree with him on the CaymanS obviosly), his key is provokativenes(as a part of his humor), without it he would just another guy on a car presenting programm.
    dont forget : TV is entertainment!

As the Top Gear director that Jeremy took the mick out of for ordering a Cayman S, I shouldn't really be defending him, but Jeremy would be the first to admit that his views are his own and he's not necessarily right. (I'm sure he's wrong about the Cayman).

He isn't actually particularly biased towards British cars (there aren't very many left to be biased towards), his own daily drivers are a Mercedes SLK AMG55 and a Volvo XC90.

Jeremy once told me that he thought the best sports car he'd ever driven was the Ferrari F430. I asked him why he didn't simply buy one, he said he thought that people who drove Ferraris were w*****s. When I pointed out that he used to drive an F355, he simply replied, 'Well there you are then!'

Don't take him too seriously, he doesn't.

you know him personally?! what do you do?! i think he's fun, and it is supposed to entertain, which is tough to do while trying to please everyones opinion...look at Tiff.

I'm a TV director and worked on TG for 7 series.

TV Man,

Can I start by saying that I never miss Top Gear. I love the show and think it's great entertainment. Thanks for your part in making it what it is. I don't always agree with the comments made on the show and the bias against Porsche annoys me. I also find the way the guys cock things up childish but nonetheless amusing. I don't take JC's motoring comments on Top Gear as serious journalism (his articles in the Times motoring section are equally amusing but more informative) but I take them how they are meant to be taken ... as light-hearted 'pub' banter.

What would be really great is if you could persuade JC to come on this forum and chat with us. Rennteam is by far the best Porsche forum and given that JC absolutely hates Porsche and all it stands for, he'll relish the prospect of so many people here to cross swords with. After all, JC can't drive, doesn't know anything about the design or engineering behind the cars etc. All he knows how to do is talk...gibberish! So there you have it. The gauntlet has been well and truly thrown down at his feet. Let him come. He'll be warmly welcomed but people here won't tolerate any BS from him.

Quote:
    TV Man said:

I'm impressed TV Man, I was commenting to a friend recently how good the direction; shooting style and especially the grading on Top Gear road test trips are.
    I take back my pro-british car comment.

Quote:
    TV Man said:

Past tense, so assume you have escaped the range of JC's insults now ?!

Quote:
    TV Man said:

You should tell JC to start reading rennteam, and this kind of threads. I wonder how he'd react.

You guys made a very good job over the years with Top Gear. It was and still is very entertaining.

wow! great job! always love TG!

Quote:
    easy_rider911 said:
    After all, JC can't drive, doesn't know anything about the design or engineering behind the cars etc. All he knows how to do is talk...gibberish! Let him come. He'll be warmly welcomed but people here won't tolerate any BS from him.

And he won't be alone There are some well known Rennteamers he could team up with

Quote:
    Gareth W said:
    Quote:
    TV Man said:

Past tense, so assume you have escaped the range of JC's insults now ?!

Yes, there's only so much being shouted at that I could take!

Thanks for the nice comments about TG. Good to know there are some fans out there.

Jeremy isn't totally against Porsche, he loved the 996 GT3 so much that he very nearly bought one (and yes, he does have to pay for his own cars). And Richard and James have recently both bought new Porsches as well as owning old ones.

Meanwhile I've escaped to work with Laurence Llewelyn-Bowen on the Holiday programme. And he doesn't really drive. Although I did get him into a Caterham Super 7 for a shoot at Portmeirion which was very amusing. Took him an hour to get out of second gear!

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    778866 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    442183 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    263054 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    261335 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    85567 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5777 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

881021 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    817188 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM