Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 - Turbo Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: My first impression of the 997TT

Quote:
    Frank Tan said:
    All the reviews i have read thus far are lukewarm at best. Coupled with the latest news that there will be no sunroof delete option in the US. Porsche is not helping by promoting their outdated "tiptronic" transmission and all the fancy gizmos like PSM, PASM, etc... What ever happened to enjoying the control and driving experience of a 911? Porsche has failed its loyal fans by not listening to what they want for the sake of profit and cost reduction. Whoever made the decision at Porsche to have sunroof in the GT3 and GT3 RS should be taken out and shot. It is a complete joke that the 997TT is supposed to be bulit around their ancient tiptronic trans, "networked" crap or not. Read the latest Porsche Excellence magazine, they are usually very kind to new porsche models, but not this time around... The truth is, i think porsche knows and they are trying to bulid a DSG/dual-clutch trans desperately for their coming iteration, but i am not sure the loyal fans/enthusiast will be patient enough to stay around for that after porsche just dumped their remaining tiptronic inventory on them.

Very well said!

I like especially this sentence:

Quote:
    Whoever made the decision at Porsche to have sunroof in the GT3 and GT3 RS should be taken out and shot.

Quote:
    Frank Tan said:
    All the reviews i have read thus far are lukewarm at best. Coupled with the latest news that there will be no sunroof delete option in the US. Porsche is not helping by promoting their outdated "tiptronic" transmission and all the fancy gizmos like PSM, PASM, etc... What ever happened to enjoying the control and driving experience of a 911? Porsche has failed its loyal fans by not listening to what they want for the sake of profit and cost reduction. Whoever made the decision at Porsche to have sunroof in the GT3 and GT3 RS should be taken out and shot. It is a complete joke that the 997TT is supposed to be bulit around their ancient tiptronic trans, "networked" crap or not. Read the latest Porsche Excellence magazine, they are usually very kind to new porsche models, but not this time around... The truth is, i think porsche knows and they are trying to bulid a DSG/dual-clutch trans desperately for their coming iteration, but i am not sure the loyal fans/enthusiast will be patient enough to stay around for that after porsche just dumped their remaining tiptronic inventory on them.

Lukewarm ? How sorry I am for you that you only seem to have seen the lukewarm reports. I have access to many more tests which all seem to agree on one thing. The Turbo is an extremely capable sportscar with the added benefit of having good GT quality's. Nothing wrong with that as it will open the door to even more customers.

Do you not agree that if Porsche only made cars for the "real enthusiast" they would have been long "eaten" by a big manufacturer. ( like Aston , Jaguar , Lotus , Ferrari , Maserati , Lamborghini ). Since they are stronger than ever I think they have made very sound and well thought through business decisions.

I can agree with your remarks about the Tiptronic. However what has this to do with the enthusiast ?? The enthusiast will most likely buy a manual.
    But your "fancy gizmos" remarks is really very strange. Without PSM Porsche would not sell many cars anymore. Everybody (including Ferrari and Lambo) offers it and if Porsche wouldn't it would be commercial suicide. Even more because at least Porsche offers the GT3 and GT3RS without it for the track lover (you ?).

I really really can not understand why it is now so popular to criticize the Turbo and Porsche at the same time as they are clearly selling much better than any time before in their history. It is a company , a company needs to make profit , the more profit the better. If you where owning Porsche you would do the same (if you could).
    And because of their profit we get better cars than ever. Win win situation if you ask me.

Oh , and I have my Turbo on order without a sunroof. BTW, this will be my first new Porsche because to me it is just what I need. And I test drove it for a day, not for 10 meaningless minutes. Impossible to get a feel for a car after 10 min. Not possible.

My understanding is the tip in the 997TT is not the older tip, but one from MB that can handle the torque. The electronic mapping is different for the 997TT but the basic tip is from MB. If you have a 997TT on order as I, you will find it much more difficult to get a tip car...you will wait even longer. So I don't think Porsche is trying to unload the tip, looks like they don't have enough for the orders already placed. The new tranny is in developement and has been for some time. I think Porsche doesn't like the fact they must use a MB tranny, but most here believe this new tranny is 2 years away. I would love to get the new tranny but can't wait, so I elected to place my order April 7 and hope I get my car this year. I envy all of you that have your cars, someday I'll be with you.

Mike

BTW I have driven both the 6 speed and tip. Both are awesome IMO.

Mike

Quote:
    993S said:
    Lukewarm ? How sorry I am for you that you only seem to have seen the lukewarm reports. I have access to many more tests which all seem to agree on one thing. The Turbo is an extremely capable sportscar with the added benefit of having good GT quality's. Nothing wrong with that as it will open the door to even more customers.

Do you not agree that if Porsche only made cars for the "real enthusiast" they would have been long "eaten" by a big manufacturer. ( like Aston , Jaguar , Lotus , Ferrari , Maserati , Lamborghini ). Since they are stronger than ever I think they have made very sound and well thought through business decisions.

I can agree with your remarks about the Tiptronic. However what has this to do with the enthusiast ?? The enthusiast will most likely buy a manual.
    But your "fancy gizmos" remarks is really very strange. Without PSM Porsche would not sell many cars anymore. Everybody (including Ferrari and Lambo) offers it and if Porsche wouldn't it would be commercial suicide. Even more because at least Porsche offers the GT3 and GT3RS without it for the track lover (you ?).

I really really can not understand why it is now so popular to criticize the Turbo and Porsche at the same time as they are clearly selling much better than any time before in their history. It is a company , a company needs to make profit , the more profit the better. If you where owning Porsche you would do the same (if you could).
    And because of their profit we get better cars than ever. Win win situation if you ask me.

Oh , and I have my Turbo on order without a sunroof. BTW, this will be my first new Porsche because to me it is just what I need. And I test drove it for a day, not for 10 meaningless minutes. Impossible to get a feel for a car after 10 min. Not possible.

I don't disagree that the 997TT is a very capable sports car. My "rant" was more towards Porsche's focus on their tiptronic transmission for the 997TT and the lack of "sunroof delete" option in the US for the GT3/RS.
    I am glad you ordered a manual 6-speed 997TT without sunroof, because that would have been my preference if i were to get a 997TT. But does it not irk you that Porsche has been pushing their tiptronic onto their customers, even though most know that their tiptronic is ancient technology? My point is simple. The 997TT buyers who opt for tiptronic will be in a world of hurt and regret when the new DSG/Dual clutch trans comes out, because that is the trans that should have been promoted by porsche in the first place to compete with Ferrari's F1 shifter. For those thinking about a tiptronic, i implore you to sample Ferrari's F1 shifter, or even BMW M5's SMG, or the Audi's DSG. We are not talking about incremental improvement here, they are light years ahead of porsche's tiptronic. I mean Ferrari is racing with their F1 trans, but porsche is racing with their sequential trans in the cup cars, while selling their customers tiptronics! Get the drift and irony? What ever happened to race on sunday, sell on monday?

With how porsche supposedly "designed" the 997TT around the tiptronic trans, coupled with mandatory sunroofs for US based GT3s, I just can't see myself picking up any of them. Don't misunderstand me, i love porsches, but if i were to get one, it probably be a 996/997 GT3 cup car, maybe with sequential trans.

F

Quote:
    Frank Tan said:

I don't disagree that the 997TT is a very capable sports car. My "rant" was more towards Porsche's focus on their tiptronic transmission for the 997TT and the lack of "sunroof delete" option in the US for the GT3/RS.
    I am glad you ordered a manual 6-speed 997TT without sunroof, because that would have been my preference if i were to get a 997TT. But does it not irk you that Porsche has been pushing their tiptronic onto their customers, even though most know that their tiptronic is ancient technology? My point is simple. The 997TT buyers who opt for tiptronic will be in a world of hurt and regret when the new DSG/Dual clutch trans comes out, because that is the trans that should have been promoted by porsche in the first place to compete with Ferrari's F1 shifter. For those thinking about a tiptronic, i implore you to sample Ferrari's F1 shifter, or even BMW M5's SMG, or the Audi's DSG. We are not talking about incremental improvement here, they are light years ahead of porsche's tiptronic. I mean Ferrari is racing with their F1 trans, but porsche is racing with their sequential trans in the cup cars, while selling their customers tiptronics! Get the drift and irony? What ever happened to race on sunday, sell on monday?

With how porsche supposedly "designed" the 997TT around the tiptronic trans, coupled with mandatory sunroofs for US based GT3s, I just can't see myself picking up any of them. Don't misunderstand me, i love porsches, but if i were to get one, it probably be a 996/997 GT3 cup car, maybe with sequential trans.

F

Now I get what you wanted to say and I have to agree.

The tiptronic is a solution that is good for a saloon but shouldn't be used in a proper sportscar when better alternatives are available. But I think this is the key point.
    Porsche is working on the DSG/PDK system and we know it is coming. We also know that they are behind their own schedule of introducing the new gearbox.
    So they can do one of two things , either offer tip or nothing at all. I believe it is the best business decision to offer tip even though it is ancient technology for a sportscar.
    Most people who buy the tip do this with the knowledge that a PDK will be available in the near future and still they buy the car. Some Turbo customers simply do not want to use a stick. So all these sales (and they are many) would have been lost for the Turbo.

Now, the marketing people (expecting a PDK) will have had to promote the tip as best as they could and 'sell' the tip as the best there is. They really had no choice than to tell everybody of the 'networking technology' and whatever (every modern high end manufacturer networks his automatic) because we and dealers alike where expecting PDK.
    I remember my dealer telling me very proud some months before the Turbo was launched that PDK would be introduced with it and that he had been at the factory and had seen a test car with what he expected to be PDK.

I do think however that it won't be such a big deal for a happy turbo tip owner that he is driving ancient tech. once the PDK becomes available .
    I had this happen to me a few years ago. I just bought a 645CI , few months later the 650I comes out bumping HP and torque and so much more. Frankly , I did not care.
    My BMW is still as nice as it was before. Yes there is something better but I can still be content with what I have now. Think it will be similar for a turbo tip owner.

I was also one of the customers waiting for the PDK turbo. But I test drove the manual and after that ordered it. The clutch is so light , the shifting so thrilling that I am ok with it.

The sunroof in the US is a real pain. But isn't this because of US homologation requirements ? I know we in Europe can order our cars without the sunroof.
    So not really something we can blame on Porsche ? Just wondering ?

Quote:
    993S said:The sunroof in the US is a real pain. But isn't this because of US homologation requirements ? I know we in Europe can order our cars without the sunroof.
    So not really something we can blame on Porsche ? Just wondering ?

We need to blame Porsche North America as well as the North American buyers (bunch of wimps, we are)

Quote:
    Grant said:
    (bunch of wimps, we are)

Sorry to hear that Grant.

Quote:
    Grant said:
    We need to blame Porsche North America as well as the North American buyers (bunch of wimps, we are)

Porsche AG must really think that US porsche drivers are a real bunch of wimps: :-)
    1) 997S with -20mm suspension and LSD was not avail in the US
    2) US based GT3/RS will not have rollcage, harness, race seats, etc. BUT, will come with sunroof.

But, we can use the US DOT (Department of transportation) as an excuse for our "wimpiness". But The true issue at hand is that a lot of porsche customers in the RoW are wimping out by their own choice!!! Didn't RC just pick up a 997TT Tiptronic without LSD???

F

A few years ago I believe an article in "Excellence"?? stated that it is virtually impossible to resell a Turbo without a sun roof. I'm sure the writer meant without a major price hit. Make any sense? Thank you.

Makes perfect sense..

Quote:
    Uber-porker said:
    A few years ago I believe an article in "Excellence"?? stated that it is virtually impossible to resell a Turbo without a sun roof. I'm sure the writer meant without a major price hit. Make any sense? Thank you.

That same topic was also discussed in the latest issue of Excellence.....very hard to sell a turbo without a sunroof....they also mentioned that US DOT required Porsche to crash test the new GT3 "without a sun roof" in order to sell it "without a sun roof" in the US....PAG decided not to do the testing and hence the GT3 has a sunroof.

Quote:
    Ron (Houston) said:
    but didn't give me the solid feel of steering as the older models. It felt more like the SL than a true Porsche, again I should emphasize this is my personal opinion.

- Very light steering feel

Ron,

Was the steering lighter than a 997S, 997C4S, 987S, 987C7S, 980 or F430?

Were the tire pressures at the OEM setting?

How many miles were on the odometer?

Quote:
    MAVERICK said:
    Quote:
    Ron (Houston) said:
    but didn't give me the solid feel of steering as the older models. It felt more like the SL than a true Porsche, again I should emphasize this is my personal opinion.

- Very light steering feel

Ron,

Was the steering lighter than a 997S, 997C4S, 987S, 987C7S, 980 or F430?

Were the tire pressures at the OEM setting?

How many miles were on the odometer?

When you raise your car on a jack the steering wheel feels kind of loose if you will, this is what it felt like to me kind of numb.

He had just few hundered miles on his car and as far as the tire pressure I'm not sure

Thanks.

bringing back this thread for a question, does anyone besided ron notice this numb steering feel problem?

The steering feel is not as good as my boxster's but it is certainly not numb.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    777276 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    441707 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    262786 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    260961 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    85232 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5577 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

880659 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    815970 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM