Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: Accident

13 (last one)

Thanks AJ. . . . God, it's so tough to look at those pictures.

Quote:
    Kevin034 said:
    omg ... that's horrible, I feel bad for you. Hope everything turns out ok, the most important thing is that everyone involved is ok. Cars can always be replaced.

Ditto. The most important this is you are OK.

Quote:
    sato said:
    Seems like this is going to get messy.

I spoke with my claims adjuster this morning and he tells me that the two women now are claiming they had the green light and I broke a red light. Furthermore, both were injured more seriously than apparent at the scene. The driver claims to have chest and rib injuries. The passenger is claiming a fractured neck.

I also get a call from some random personal injury lawyer offering to get me medical attention and, oh yeah, legal representation if needed.

Now more than ever I am dependent upon an accurate police report, and honest and observant witnesses.

I'm sure with the cars stopped at the light, that you have plenty of eyewitnesses. Hope everything turns out ok for you.

AJ how can you post this pics without a proper warning: not for the fainthearted

Sato:

Be prepared for years of litigation. My daughter was in an accident in NYC in 2002, which is (currently) scheduled for trial next month. You are the deep pocket, since you were driving that expensive foreign sports car, and by definition were speeding, driving out of control, and probably on drugs.

I feel your pain.

oh [censored]. really sorry to see that. please keep us advised with respect to how this works out with your ins. co. glad your ok as possible given the events.

Also sato, forgot to mention

If this ever gets to a trial situation - let me know, there's someone in our Hamptons group that can provide an All-Star legal team

Quote:
    ajcastaneda said:
    As per sato's request, here are pictures from his accident -- a truly sad event...

Awwwww..., sh*********t... . My heart goes out to ya. Hopefully it can be repaired to the original level of _perfection_.

I'm so sorry it had to happen to you. My heart feels for you it really does. I hope the repair is absolutely mint and back to new.

Chin up.

As many have said (including yourself) the most important thing is that neither you or the others are hurt. Although they are now claiming otherwise, it still sounds like a far cry from what could have happened.

Second thing, that car does not look too bad. I was expecting way worse from the description of the accident. Although it is hard to make a complete assessment of damage from pictures, I would say the chances are good for a repair to very high standards. But do claim diminished value - no matter how spectacular the repair is, this will be an issue when/if you sell.

That it may go legal is a drag. However, the fact that there was a bunch of stopped traffic north/south-bound will hopefully provide a pool of honest witnesses.

Best of luck and remember the Rennteam support group is here for you!

It doesn't look that bad.

I thought the car was good for the grave yard. The front wheels have not moved, have they?
    It will be expensive but if Porsche repairs it correctly itshouldn't be a problem. Except on resale. You might take a hit.

Glad you're OK though. I guess you ran out of luck on this one. I hope everything will turn out just fine for you (and the car) Take care.

AJ...your Cobra?

Sato, it's sad that you had an accident but as all have said... take comfort in the thought that things could have been a lot worse. The car can, and will I am sure be put together again.

Good luck.

Hey buddy....Anything you need, just let us know. It's a big "ouch", but as long as your ok. You have our personal e-mail address should you need assistance of any kind. I think my wife just passed out. She LOVED that car!

Sato,
    You are alive and that is most important my friend. you will be back on the road soon...

Das tut mir leid, sato. It figures that they're trying to claim that they had the green. They see a guy in a Porsche and think "deep pockets." At least you're O.K. Take your baby to a great repair shop and hopefully you'll be on the road again soon.

BTW, on my way home today I was almost rear-ended by a woman who was looking at everything but the road(visor mirror, hands to apply lotion!, etc.). I actually hit my horn and she looked up and slammed on her brakes. Luckily no accident.

Quote:
    GA997S said:
    AJ...your Cobra?

Cobra?

Quote:
    ajcastaneda said:
    Quote:
    GA997S said:
    AJ...your Cobra?

Cobra?

[the other car in the higher res pics...)

looks like a replica?

This is so sad to see. Just ruined my day. Glad you are fine though.

Actually it doesn't look that bad...

Mine has every driver's side panel bent, from front bumper to rear bumper and everything in between. $12K according to the bodyshop. Should be ready week after next.

The key on yours will be whether it suffered any structural damage or not. As the airbags were not triggered you may be lucky.

Quote:
    sato said:
    Thanks AJ. . . . God, it's so tough to look at those pictures.

I feel for you

Quote:
    Moogle said:
    Quote:
    ajcastaneda said:
    Quote:
    GA997S said:
    AJ...your Cobra?

Cobra?

[the other car in the higher res pics...)

looks like a replica?

Ah, no not mine

Re: Actually it doesn't look that bad...

Quote:
    Le Chef said:
    Mine has every driver's side panel bent, from front bumper to rear bumper and everything in between. $12K according to the bodyshop. Should be ready week after next.

The key on yours will be whether it suffered any structural damage or not. As the airbags were not triggered you may be lucky.

Actually, my driver's side airbag did deploy. It is not apparent in the shots at the autobody shop, but can be seen in pic #8 which I took with my cameraphone.

My autobody guy says damages will be well in excess of $10K. He needs to take a closer look, but is certain there is structural damage. Good luck with your repairs. I'm glad you'll be back on the road soon.

Thanks, all of you for your well wishes and sympathies. It means a great deal to me because you understand the emotional investment made in these dream machines.

At the accident scene, my condition was the last thing on anyone's mind. For good reason. Those two women needed immediate attention and the road had to be cleared. However, a very nice couple came over to me and asked how things were and sympathized over the damages to my new car.

We talked for a bit, and that helped calm me as I wrote my statement for the police report. Each of them had been through similar harrowing experiences and understood first-hand the bias and rush to judgement others have against sports car owners. I really appreciated their input. They were just passing by the scene of my accident in their late model Corvette and knew that I could use some company.

Car people just understand car people.

Anyway, thanks again. This community means a lot to me. If anything, maybe there is something we can all learn from this experience.

Cheers.

Quote:
    sato said:
    Car people just understand car people.

Indeed.

Chin Up! Fenders are easier to replace than arms & legs.Another Hamptons cruise may just be the right attitude adjustment.
    AJ...Anything in the works?

Quote:
    nicholas j said:
    Chin Up! Fenders are easier to replace than arms & legs.Another Hamptons cruise may just be the right attitude adjustment.
    AJ...Anything in the works?

The only thing in the works is Hamptons 2007

Not sure if I'll have enough time to put a last minute fall trip together.

My wife's E500 had an even more serious front-ender last November which wound up costing $32k to fix. The repaired car is indistinguishable (sp?) from new. The MB dealer, along with whatever body shop they sub out to, just did a great job. We had actually agreed that if she was unhappy after she got it back (which took 4 months), we'd just trade it for a new one. But she can't tell that it was ever repaired.

She was shaken but not physically hurt. The structural integrity of the passenger compartment, along with the seat belts and airbags, was great.

Wow . . .

Glad to hear your wife is in good health and congrats on the repairs. Do you have an "after" picture? Some mechanics truly are magicians.

No need for an 'after' picture ... the car looks like new. Seriously, just look at the MB web, or look at a new black one on the road.

As I said, we were half-ready to trade it in and buy a new one this spring (which would have postponed by MY07 997S ), but there was no need to think about it for even a minute.

So ... the 997 is due to arrive in the Port of Elizabeth on Friday.

BTW, the work was done at Prestige Mercedes in Paramus NJ.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    689325 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    409088 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255697 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    234946 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65500 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4644 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

857898 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    773904 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM