Crown

Board: Lamborghini Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

What Huracan owners should have been told on delivery

Car dealer sales staff have a (often justified) bad reputation for knowing very little about the cars they hand over to customers.  Here is an exception - a Lambo sales person who can truly explain every setting and function, without notes. I did learn something.... and I will refrain from making any cheesy comments about the rather attractive presenter.    Smiley

https://youtu.be/_CWNfWKHDrs

--

2011 Range Rover Sport S/C,  2009 Porsche 911S

Re: What Huracan owners should have been told on delivery

Holy Moly.... this is a looooot of a (sales) woman. But how does she pronounce "Huracan".... tooke me three attempts to understand what car she is talking about. 

And - that "Beau" makes also some serious music..... and I will refrain from making any cheesy comments about that thing on the forehead of her male-model.  SmileySmiley

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JH_QDXrxMfw

4trac:

Car dealer sales staff have a (often justified) bad reputation for knowing very little about the cars they hand over to customers.  Here is an exception - a Lambo sales person who can truly explain every setting and function, without notes. I did learn something.... and I will refrain from making any cheesy comments about the rather attractive presenter.    Smiley

Haven't we already "discussed" Heather Ballentine in a different thread? Smiley

"Rather attractive presenter"? Well...she certainly knows her stuff but attractive looks different. She is OK (especially in this video but there are other videos with her where I wouldn't want to comment on her appearance because I would be mean Smiley).

If she is a good sales person (and my understand is that she is), it doesn't really matter how she looks but I can see how she could attract some male buyers but certainly not me and certainly not here in Germany (over here, her appearance would be off-limits for such a job Smiley). 

Honestly, I don't get it: A good hair stylist (who gets the color right Smiley) and a 24 h fitness studio should be available in Canada (Montreal?) as well. She is pretty and could make something out of herself but considering her age (I assume she is under 40 but I could be wrong), I think that she needs a major overhaul.

However: She seems to be somewhat famous Smiley, even has her own website  https://www.heatherballentine.com and if she really is as successful as many say she is, who am I to judge her?! Smiley I guess Canadian Lamborghini customers are different than German ones. At the Lamborghini dealership I know, there is a grumpy older guy taking care of customers. Smiley Maybe Heather could sell more cars? I don't have a clue. 

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Carrera 4 GTS Cabriolet (2015), Porsche Cayenne S Diesel (2017), Audi R8 V10 Plus (2016), Mini JCW (2015)

If she is a good sales person (and my understand is that she is), it doesn't really matter how she looks 

Not true! A unattractive person will never be a good sales person. It needs some charm and amiability, but also certain amount of attractiveness to be successful at sales. Especially when talking about luxury goods. And - yes, she is a looooot of a sales woman. But hey - might not be your taste, not mine neither, but she is still attractive I would say. 

She is likable in my opinion, which is very important for a sales person but I do not feel attracted to her. Actually, I feel a little bit sorry for her (don't have a clue why...maybe some sort of father instinct ) but like I said before, she seems to be a very good sales person, she is sympathetic, she knows her (car) stuff and she seems to enjoy this job. Would I buy a car from her? Certainly, why not but I usually don't really care about sales persons but the car I am interested in and also important: The mechanics and the repair shop. I need to feel in good hands there.

Would I buy a car because of her? Certainly not. The only time I let a sales person convince me to get a car was when I got my first Porsche, a 993 Targa. Big mistake (coming from an E36 M3) but it kind of started my passion for Porsche. I actually wanted to get a 968 CS but my father (he was supposed to pay for half of the car at that time) wanted a Boxster angry. Luckily, the Boxster was sold out for over a year, so I got myself a 993 Targa at a huge price reduction because it was a "last year" model.

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Carrera 4 GTS Cabriolet (2015), Porsche Cayenne S Diesel (2017), Audi R8 V10 Plus (2016), Mini JCW (2015)

RC:

She is likable in my opinion, which is very important for a sales person but I do not feel attracted to her. Actually, I feel a little bit sorry for her (don't have a clue why...maybe some sort of father instinct ) but like I said before, she seems to be a very good sales person, she is sympathetic, she knows her (car) stuff and she seems to enjoy this job. Would I buy a car from her? Certainly, why not but I usually don't really care about sales persons but the car I am interested in and also important: The mechanics and the repair shop. I need to feel in good hands there.

Would I buy a car because of her? Certainly not. The only time I let a sales person convince me to get a car was when I got my first Porsche, a 993 Targa. Big mistake (coming from an E36 M3) but it kind of started my passion for Porsche. I actually wanted to get a 968 CS but my father (he was supposed to pay for half of the car at that time) wanted a Boxster angry. Luckily, the Boxster was sold out for over a year, so I got myself a 993 Targa at a huge price reduction because it was a "last year" model.

You are well to much an expert in order of buying a car just because of a nice sales person. The question is more - wouldn't I buy a car because of the sales guy. That happened many times to me and I left and went to the next dealer. Nevertheless - I usually buy a product and not giving to much focus to the sales guy.

If the sales guy annoys me from the start, I usually leave or go to the next sales person.

The best sales guy I had so far is my Audi sales person. He is very young and ambitious but we communicate over SMS and Email all the time and whenever I need something to be solved (had an issue with my windshield replacement payment, where my insurance "forgot" to pay and they sent me a reminder), he takes care of it and I do not have to worry. Now I am getting the suede (Wildleder) steering wheel from Audi Sport installed and he took care of everything because it is difficult to get as an aftermarket item. I also recommended him to his boss (which I happen to know from his Porsche days), so he (my sales guy) is now the youngest guy ever to have official R8 sales training. He was supposed to sell me a RS6 (you might remember) but I wanted the R8, so the dealership couldn't "switch" sales persons. Smiley

My Porsche sales person is also pretty good (he actually won the sales person of the year award or something like that) but only when he really wants to sell something.

I miss the time where my former sales guy (also the owner) threw me the keys of a new model and let me drive it, just for fun (of course in the hope that I would choose one of these cars) and then we would discuss over a cup or two of Espresso how the drive and my impressions were. Or he called to ask if I want a certain limited/exclusive model. My current sales guy never called about the 911 R (had to take care of that myself) or the GT3 RS or the GT3. They sell well, so no real interest here to offer me one. 

I also like my Mercedes AMG sales guy: He always contacts me, offers test drives, makes offers, good strategy.

If you want to sell a car, you need to be somehow proactive. Just waiting for the customer to come to you and "beg" for selling him a car won't cut it anymore. 

--

Lars997:

You are well to much an expert in order of buying a car just because of a nice sales person. The question is more - wouldn't I buy a car because of the sales guy. That happened many times to me and I left and went to the next dealer. Nevertheless - I usually buy a product and not giving to much focus to the sales guy.

This was more my point of posting, not getting into pointless discussions about female looks.  I too have left dealerships when the sales guy (always a guy) fed me obvious untruths that were getting my way of possibly buying a car.  You have to admit, Heather is so knowledgable, and passionate about the brand, that this would likely never happen. The only way for her to lose a sale would be that the ego of the guy buying could not handle a woman that knew far more than he about the cars.  I would love to meet a salesperson on any brand who had done the homework on the car to this extent - so far it has never happened. 

And to RC's comment about sales staff being proactive, yes I have seen more of that happening, though to be honest in these days of instant communication it is not that hard. But if I have a query on some point os specs or order, they still can't find the correct answer. 
    --

A car sales person has never sold me anything. Sure they might have twisted slightly an option list but I always got exactly the car I wanted and never something else. I have actually bought several cars for me and friends strictly via emails without meeting the person until delivery, including price negotiations.

SciFrog:

A car sales person has never sold me anything. Sure they might have twisted slightly an option list but I always got exactly the car I wanted and never something else. I have actually bought several cars for me and friends strictly via emails without meeting the person until delivery, including price negotiations.

But...this is soooo boring... Smiley Smiley

--

4trac:
    Lars997:

This was more my point of posting, not getting into pointless discussions about female looks.  I too have left dealerships when the sales guy (always a guy) fed me obvious untruths that were getting my way of possibly buying a car.  You have to admit, Heather is so knowledgable, and passionate about the brand, that this would likely never happen. The only way for her to lose a sale would be that the ego of the guy buying could not handle a woman that knew far more than he about the cars.  I would love to meet a salesperson on any brand who had done the homework on the car to this extent - so far it has never happened. 

And to RC's comment about sales staff being proactive, yes I have seen more of that happening, though to be honest in these days of instant communication it is not that hard. But if I have a query on some point os specs or order, they still can't find the correct answer
    --

A good salesperson tries hard to find an answer and it is impossible not to find one. As a last resort, a salesperson can always call the manufacturer (they have a specific contact for that) and find out. Maybe some salespersons are just too lazy or too sales focused to actually care about such details. I don't have a clue but I agree...if they cannot get me the information I am looking for, they suck.

Regarding a woman knowing more than a man about cars: I can deal with it, no problem. What I cannot deal with is a salesperson named "Knowitall" but without knowing it all, if you get my drift. When my Audi sales guy wasn't at his office, I talked to a different sales guy about the R8 (this was after I already got the car but he didn't know that, he thought I am a new customer admiring the R8 they had in the showroom). You wouldn't believe how much BS he served me and every time I corrected him (in a very nice and calm way), he immediately served me more BS. Unbelievable. Smiley Smiley

--

RC:
    4trac:

Haven't we already "discussed" Heather Ballentine in a different thread? Smiley

"Rather attractive presenter"? Well...she certainly knows her stuff but attractive looks different. She is OK (especially in this video but there are other videos with her where I wouldn't want to comment on her appearance because I would be mean Smiley).

If she is a good sales person (and my understand is that she is), it doesn't really matter how she looks but I can see how she could attract some male buyers but certainly not me and certainly not here in Germany (over here, her appearance would be off-limits for such a job Smiley). 

Honestly, I don't get it: A good hair stylist (who gets the color right Smiley) and a 24 h fitness studio should be available in Canada (Montreal?) as well. She is pretty and could make something out of herself but considering her age (I assume she is under 40 but I could be wrong), I think that she needs a major overhaul.

However: She seems to be somewhat famous Smiley, even has her own website  https://www.heatherballentine.com and if she really is as successful as many say she is, who am I to judge her?! Smiley I guess Canadian Lamborghini customers are different than German ones. At the Lamborghini dealership I know, there is a grumpy older guy taking care of customers. Smiley Maybe Heather could sell more cars? I don't have a clue. 

Toronto.

I feel like I could sell a shit ton of exotic cars. I feel like car salesmen are out of touch with younger clients and the Interweb.

noone1:

I feel like I could sell a shit ton of exotic cars. I feel like car salesmen are out of touch with younger clients and the Interweb.

They are often out of touch with reality... 😜

It may not be always their fault though...sales training is often pure crap. 🙁

--

[Irony on]

OK - let's come down to the quintessence of car sales men/women. Smiley

Who the heck is going to be a sales man for cars and what education they have prior to being car sales meSmiley 

Most of I know have a minimum school degree. Some of them might have been working as car mechanic in the workshop before. Some of them went from one lousy job to another (banker, property broker, hair dresser, restaurant owner). Many of them are street hustlers, many are sweet talkers. MOST of them are lazy bastards which don't really care about their product and cars but which are cheeky and thinking the world should be theirs without working hard for it. Summarized - lazy, stinky, sniffy hustlers! Smiley

On the other side - we are those people those guys want to be. We know more about the cars those guys are selling as we are smarter, more passionate for what we are doing.   We are educated, successful by work and mind, smart, eloquent, seen the world, having gorgeous & smart wife's & kids - shortly -we are living the life. Smiley

In the world of star wars we are talking about Galaxy's which are crushing on to each other.  Smiley 

And - if tomorrow a sales guy would be able to talk us into buying a car which we don't like the "continuum of space and time" would be out of shape. The world would near its end. The Galaxy would be doomed to become a dark matter for eternity Smiley  

[Irony off]

Well, I think you could loose those irony tags but... indecision angry

I think that customers buy cars from sales persons who they either trust (for various reasons) or who scam them (the customers). 

I would love to work at a dealership with different luxury brands. The advantage? You can always find the "right" fit for a specific customer, this makes the whole thing much easier. I never understood that one brand model only business, especially now that VW Group incorporates Porsche, Audi, Lamborghini, Bentley and Bugatti. Actually, I think that a large dealership with all these brands (Audi being specialized on R8 and top RS models only) could have a huge success. Of course this would require sales people who know all brands and models equally, which can be a challenge but overall, I think such a business would be great. 

--

See, cars salesmen are often people who can just put pressure on people and nag people and have no problem being cringe-worthy. And honestly, it probably works. I made one call to a dealer out of state 3 weeks ago just asking about an SUV, and they call me constantly and I never pick up or respond to messages. I just blocked the number. They don't give up. They want to sell you so hard.

Normal people, like myself or you, can't do that. We know we're being annoying. We don't like or feel OK about trying to sell someone to death. We'd rather just be honest and not bug people.

I believe seller exotics is not easy because you get a lot of tire kickers or people who can't buy even if they wanted, but I also think there is a market for no-nonsense buyers who don't need you to spout nonsense and features to them. They don't need to be told how amazing the exhaust is or how amazing the engine is. I think there is a market for people who want an exotic and you just toss them the keys and say, "cool, well lets go drive some and see what you like. If you have any questions, let me know, otherwise we'll just drive and talk current events or something or listen to some music."

So yeah, I'd like to try being a car salesman who isn't annoying :)

RC:

Well, I think you could loose those irony tags but... indecision angry

I think that customers buy cars from sales persons who they either trust (for various reasons) or who scam them (the customers). 

I would love to work at a dealership with different luxury brands. The advantage? You can always find the "right" fit for a specific customer, this makes the whole thing much easier. I never understood that one brand model only business, especially now that VW Group incorporates Porsche, Audi, Lamborghini, Bentley and Bugatti. Actually, I think that a large dealership with all these brands (Audi being specialized on R8 and top RS models only) could have a huge success. Of course this would require sales people who know all brands and models equally, which can be a challenge but overall, I think such a business would be great. 

Dealerships are expensive and they won't be given to everyone because regions can only support so many exotics of a single brand. The dealer near me owns Bugatti, RR, Bentley, Porsche, Lamborghini, Mercedes, Acura, Honda, Audi, Mazda, etc. They don't own the Ferrari dealer simply because someone else does. I'm sure if they could have gotten it, they would have. Ferrari probably wouldn't be able to sell them a dealer because the region no doubt belongs to the current one, most likely legally, due to competitive reasons.

RC:

Reminds me of this joke:

A young guy from North Dakota moves to Florida and goes to a big "everything under one roof" department store looking for a job.
    The Manager says, "Do you have any sales experience?"
    The kid says "Yeah. I was a vacuum salesman back in North Dakota ."
    Well, the boss was unsure, but he liked the kid and figured he'd give him a shot, so he gave him the job. "You start tomorrow. I'll come down after we close and see how you did."
    His first day on the job was rough, but he got through it. After the store was locked up, the boss came down to the sales floor. "How many customers bought something from you today?"
    The kid frowns and looks at the floor and mutters, "One".
    The boss says "Just one?!!? Our sales people average sales to 20 to 30 customers a day. That will have to change, and soon, if you'd like to continue your employment here. We have very strict standards for our sales force here in Florida . One sale a day might have been acceptable in North Dakota , but you're not on the farm anymore, son."
    The kid took his beating, but continued to look at his shoes, so the boss felt kinda bad for chewing him out on his first day. He asked (semi-sarcastically), "So, how much was your one sale for?"
    The kid looks up at his boss and says "$101,237.65".
    The boss, astonished, says $101,237.65?!? What the heck did you sell?"
    The kid says, "Well, first, I sold him some new fish hooks. Then I sold him a new fishing rod to go with his new hooks. Then I asked him where he was going fishing and he said down the coast, so I told him he was going to need a boat, so we went down to the boat department and I sold him a twin engine Chris Craft. Then he said he didn't think his Honda Civic would pull it, so I took him down to the automotive department and sold him that 4x4 Expedition."
    The boss said "A guy came in here to buy a fish hook and you sold him a boat and a TRUCK!?"
    The kid said "No, the guy came in here to buy tampons for his wife, and I said, 'Dude, your weekend's shot, you should go fishing.’

--

Past-President, Porsche Club of America - Upper Canada Region

Smiley Smiley I doubt I would be that talented (I'm way too honest for a car sales person).

--

Mithras:
    RC:

Reminds me of this joke:

A young guy from North Dakota moves to Florida and goes to a big "everything under one roof" department store looking for a job.
    The Manager says, "Do you have any sales experience?"
    The kid says "Yeah. I was a vacuum salesman back in North Dakota ."
    Well, the boss was unsure, but he liked the kid and figured he'd give him a shot, so he gave him the job. "You start tomorrow. I'll come down after we close and see how you did."
    His first day on the job was rough, but he got through it. After the store was locked up, the boss came down to the sales floor. "How many customers bought something from you today?"
    The kid frowns and looks at the floor and mutters, "One".
    The boss says "Just one?!!? Our sales people average sales to 20 to 30 customers a day. That will have to change, and soon, if you'd like to continue your employment here. We have very strict standards for our sales force here in Florida . One sale a day might have been acceptable in North Dakota , but you're not on the farm anymore, son."
    The kid took his beating, but continued to look at his shoes, so the boss felt kinda bad for chewing him out on his first day. He asked (semi-sarcastically), "So, how much was your one sale for?"
    The kid looks up at his boss and says "$101,237.65".
    The boss, astonished, says $101,237.65?!? What the heck did you sell?"
    The kid says, "Well, first, I sold him some new fish hooks. Then I sold him a new fishing rod to go with his new hooks. Then I asked him where he was going fishing and he said down the coast, so I told him he was going to need a boat, so we went down to the boat department and I sold him a twin engine Chris Craft. Then he said he didn't think his Honda Civic would pull it, so I took him down to the automotive department and sold him that 4x4 Expedition."
    The boss said "A guy came in here to buy a fish hook and you sold him a boat and a TRUCK!?"
    The kid said "No, the guy came in here to buy tampons for his wife, and I said, 'Dude, your weekend's shot, you should go fishing.’

Smiley

--

⇒ Carlos - Porsche 991 Carrera GTS

That story reminds me of how I shopped once.

Wife was at the mall doing some bikini shopping, I walked next door to the men's clothing store to buy a pair of loafers. Ended up coming out with 3 suits 8 shirts 3 more pairs of shoes on top of the loafer and 2 belts and 5 more jackets and a bunch of new socks and pocket squares and ties.

That was like a 40k bill. The loafer was only suppose to be a few hundred. 

Lower goes well with a jacket and then saw another jacket next to that that I like and got that and find another pair of shoes to match then walked by the suits section on the way to the fitting room and pick up the suits then get the shirts to match and then pick new ties and pocket squares and the snow ball keep rolling. 

She ended up didn't buy a single bikini though.

--

Are you a professional wedding attender?

I just bought 50 American Apparel t-shirts in every color since they're going out of business. Should be set for the next 10 years if I wear them evenly.

noone1:

I just bought 50 American Apparel t-shirts in every color since they're going out of business. Should be set for the next 10 years if I wear them evenly.

More like a professional shopaholic Smiley

But I guess it was my British roots, I always dressed nicely, something very un-American and un-Canadian.

--

Whoopsy:
    noone1:

But I guess it was my British roots, I always dressed nicely, something very un-American and un-Canadian.

It is after 20:00 where I sit and I am still wearing a sports coat as I type this reply.  Must be British too...

Whoopsy,

She ended up didn't buy a single bikini though.

Atleast your wife didn't get mad at you,unlike mine, which if she heard there is a shop around the corner and Im gonna go there to check it out, she would get nervous 

Whoopsy:
    noone1:

SmileySmiley Gosh.... what is happening with the men .... old days girls been supposed to be shopaholics but same here - mostly I'm worse than my wife SmileySmiley

Sadly I have been caught doing the same as Nick angry

SciFrog:

Dito angry but luckily, with two kids and a wife who is on a serious shopping spree every single vacation, I cannot afford it anymore. laugh My wife is way too cheap angryto buy me nice things...and she makes more money than me. yes

First world problems... 

--

SciFrog:

I know. Thank god I don't go to London every five weeks for work anymore. Turnbull & Asser, Anderson & Sheppard, and Dege & Skinner have entirely too much of my money. Thank god the OTR athletic cut T&A shirts fit me almost as well as their bespoke does. I have over 40 of them now...Smiley

--

Past-President, Porsche Club of America - Upper Canada Region

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/29/24 1:47 PM
    Enmanuel
    691096 1781
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    410197 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    256244 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    235423 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65750 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4746 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

858844 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    775142 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM