Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 - Turbo Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

PCCBs vs. No PCCBs

dealers trying to get us to get PCCBs but are they worth it on turbo. Do they pay off because you dont have to replace them as often? Do they really make the car faster?

Re: PCCBs vs. No PCCBs

I am ordering them on my TT. They won't make the car faster but they wear better have less Fade and have no "Brake Dust". They also have Yellow Calipers so every Porsche Enthusiast will know you have the Ceramic Brakes.

PCCBs will provide a dramatic element to most turbo's looks, especialy with certain colors. They also improve ride and handling because of reduced unsprung weight. Much has been said about improved braking and life. Got them on mine.

I bit the bullet and bought the PCCB's and I love them. I don't know if they're worth the money but, they do stop the car significantly better than the 996 turbo's standard brakes did. So much so that, It actually takes some getting used to because you can stop that fast. I've had my car about three weeks and still find myself having to adjust my braking. I'm sure the new standard brakes are great but, I'm amazed how well the new PCCB's stop the 997 turbo. If money's not too much of an issue, I'd say go for it.

I have the Ceramic brakes on my 360 CS and all I can say is they are absolutely the best brakes I have every had on any car. They stop you on a dime (after warm up) and there is absolutely no fade time after time with them. They are worth every penny they cost but don't think you can get it back when you are looking to sell. I had a GT3 without the ceramic brakes and I sold my car for the same price that ceramic brake cars were sellng for.

Love the CCM's on my F-Car, hate the steel on my P-Car. The CCM's performance is incredible imo. Love the way they feel. The steel brakes create such a freakin mess, not only with making the wheels dirty but the hubs and brake calipers. The whole deal w/ the rusty water inside of the wheels is nasty. My turbo will have PCCB's or I don't want the car. Hey, if Porsche goes to the trouble of Alum. doors to save 12lbs I don't have a problem in saving 40lbs of un-sprung weight. And w/ my F430 saving 40lbs on the brakes and another 40lbs on the CF racing seats is quite a difference in total. That's like 1/3 of the weight Ferrari saved when converting the Modena to the Stradale. So yes, for me never steel in a Porsche again.

If the standard brakes are good enough for Walter they are good enough for me. I do not plan on tracking my TT on a regular basis. I think 8K is a lot to spend on brakes, although They do look great. The cost of replacing them is very expensive.

I do plan to track mine a fair amount, I'm getting steel brakes, can't see forking up 10k for a brake job down the line.

same here, ordered the car with standard brakes.
    they are a huge improvement over the 996TT brakes and
    they were already good.
    PCCB's are ideal for the person who wants the best of the best. For me the 'normal' best is plenty. It is simply too much money in my opinion.

Yes, I've ordered steel as well. I would certainly like to try the PCCBs but I know I'll be replacing brakes and I really don't want to make a $9k mistake.

Ordered my 997S cab with the PCCBs and so far have found them to be as smooth as can be,--and as an old-time 911 driver (including turbo) I can't be thought of as one who babies his cars. They are first rate. Porsche finally got the PCCBs right.

Dan

Save the money; unless you don't care. Replacement cost can reach 5k per corner.

I keep hearing about the prohibitive cost of replacement, but how many out there have actually had to replace their PCCB's or maintain them at that cost?

Quote:
    rfakhri said:
    I keep hearing about the prohibitive cost of replacement, but how many out there have actually had to replace their PCCB's or maintain them at that cost?

I had them on my 706 hp 996 Turbo ... never a problem! They were awesome. I liked them so much that I have ordered the PCCB on my new 997 Turbo which is due here in two weeks.

Quote:
    rfakhri said:

Exactly, is there anyone that can confirm the replacement cost?

I've heard from reliable sources the PCCB's have a much longer life which could mean you might avoid spending money on a brake job where as you might need to spend money to change pads on the steel/iron, whatever rotor set-up. If not and you get to the point of having to change PCCB pads you probably got your money's worth out of the PCCB system. But who knows I've yet to hear anyone needing to change PCCB pads either but I'm sure since I've said something someone will mention it. But how much is a steel brake job replacement? One thing is for sure if you buy a Porsche turbo w/ PCCB's you could probably manage the cost of PCCB pads down the road.

I have them on my 996tts and liked them so much I have them on my 997tt too. No problems so far.

i couldn't afford em to begin with, so the idea of 10k + for brake job is a non-starter for me. it seems in the walter video in spain after running the car hard he said something about replacing pccb components after less than 4k miles. much easier to tell the accompanying porsche mechanics to " do it " than deal with certain agnst at your local dealer, imo

Quote:
    roadtrip said:
    i couldn't afford em to begin with, so the idea of 10k + for brake job is a non-starter for me.

Replacing all 4 rotors costs MUCH more than $10k (reportedly around $20k)

PCCB FTW

Quote:
    Grant said:
    Quote:
    roadtrip said:
    i couldn't afford em to begin with, so the idea of 10k + for brake job is a non-starter for me.

You can get a complete PCCB kit including rotors and those beautiful yellow calipers for $13,100 from Suncoast Porsche.

I went with PCCB's on my 997S. Got to love that technology!

I have the steel on my 997TT. They perform better than the steel on my 996TT but I could do without the brake dust and frequent wheel cleanings.
    /uploads/259086-turbo.jpg

Not a PCCB pro here, but I've heard that the pads are a bit more costly but it's the rotors that kill. However, unless damaged by flying debris, they should last a real long time. At least that's my rationalization for ordering them

Quote:
    jerrygee said:You can get a complete PCCB kit including rotors and those beautiful yellow calipers for $13,100 from

Really? I bet those aren't the large ones as found on the 997TT (or are they?)...

Quote:
    jerrygee said:
    Quote:
    Grant said:
    Quote:
    roadtrip said:

You can get a complete PCCB kit including rotors and those beautiful yellow calipers for $13,100 from Suncoast Porsche.

The more I read the more I think the whole $10K pccb pad brake job is chat board myth. But who knows I haven't heard from one person yet that's needed a pccb brake job. I'm going to be at my dealer Tuesday, I'm going to ask for quotes on both steel & Carbon Ceramic.

It does seem strange that you can buy and entire 997 PCCB set-up (calipers, rotors w/ pads)for $13k and people are saying it's $10k just for a pad change. I like this quote:

"The brakes are designed for both rapid deceleration and optimum consistency over the widest range of temperatures. The key advantage of PCCB, however, is the total weight saving over conventional metal discs of approximately 50%. As well as enhancing performance and fuel economy, this huge reduction in both unsprung weight and rotating masses offers major benefits in terms of comfort and road-holding, especially on poor road surfaces".

Agree. The pads can't cost 10K, they might cost 2 or 3X normal pads. The 10K must be for all 4 ceramic rotors, but the rotors are not supposed to wear this is why you have no break dust. So it seems the only reason to replace the ceramic rotors would be if they cracked. I don't think the ceramic rotors can warp, but not sure. I believe the temperature point to where ceramic can be pliable is well beyond the temperatures beakes generate. Anyone know?

Mike

No, I never implied the pad change was expensive - just rotors are silly expensive...

Quote:
    STRADALE said:
    Quote:
    jerrygee said:
    Quote:
    Grant said:
    Quote:
    roadtrip said:

The more I read the more I think the whole $10K pccb pad brake job is chat board myth. But who knows I haven't heard from one person yet that's needed a pccb brake job. I'm going to be at my dealer Tuesday, I'm going to ask for quotes on both steel & Carbon Ceramic.

It does seem strange that you can buy and entire 997 PCCB set-up (calipers, rotors w/ pads)for $13k and people are saying it's $10k just for a pad change. I like this quote:

"The brakes are designed for both rapid deceleration and optimum consistency over the widest range of temperatures. The key advantage of PCCB, however, is the total weight saving over conventional metal discs of approximately 50%. As well as enhancing performance and fuel economy, this huge reduction in both unsprung weight and rotating masses offers major benefits in terms of comfort and road-holding, especially on poor road surfaces".

We have alot of corrugated asphault here and these pccb's are fantastic ..the unsprung weight reduction is quite noticeable. and the sticks to the road like glue especially when it gets choppy. I am very happy I got them, no regrets.

I heard that you have to replace PCCB rotors every 100k miles where as with regular rotors like every 40k maybe or soemthing like that. Is this true.?

Quote:
    dsts6 said:
    I heard that you have to replace PCCB rotors every 100k miles where as with regular rotors like every 40k maybe or soemthing like that. Is this true.?

It depends how you drive. My last iron rotors lasted 10,000 km on a tuned 996 Turbo with Pagid yellow pads.

Quote:
    AUM said:
    Quote:
    dsts6 said:

It depends how you drive. My last iron rotors lasted 10,000 km on a tuned 996 Turbo with Pagid yellow pads.

That's because you get up in the morning, shower and eat breakfast, and then take a shortcut past Nurburg on your way to work. Several times .

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    763411 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    435898 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    260792 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    257760 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    81236 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5324 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

872784 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    808258 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM