Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 996 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Real uncamoflauged 997 pics...

Im very very happy

Re: Real uncamoflauged 997 pics...

My fears are closer to becoming true, the 997 is going to look like a "995"
    The big main distingushing feature b/w the 996 vs 997, the front lights, resemble more the older versions of the 911 than the 996. This is OK but if nothing else is really changed vs the 996 to give the overall aesthetics of a more modern car inspite of the lights touch, I think is a big mistake as most unknowing people will interpret it as the "previous model" and won't catch the eye of the 996 owners either, which is good news for those that have a 996 and don't plan on changing to the 997 which is not my case

I can't wait to see official pics to be able to draw definitive concluions for myself...

Still a little camo ... but not enough to hide much. Look closely and the tail lights seem to curve up on the sides, like the Carrera GT's. Nice touch.

It's looking very good to me ... maybe good enough to tempt me into "upgrading" from the Boxster.

-Gavin.

The tail lights and the bumper-mounted front lights are still taped off so you can't quite get the visual signature.

Barely so, but just the same I get your point. Hopefully Porsche will and should release offical pics sometime SOON.

Also notice the CGT'sh side view mirrors. Very very nice!

Cool! Now the 911 is starting to look like a real Porsche. Porsche is hearing it's clients...

While I can see many design cues drawn from Porsche's rich heritage, both old and new, I prefer the overall look of my 996 C2 coupe better. This 997 is not as sharp looking as the MY02+ 996. It has softer design bumpers, a 356 shape to the front corners of the front lid, the round headlights are softer too. It would need to have significant performance advances for me to upgrade, and that doesn't look likely (C2 Carrera with 320 hp is the rumour).

But I am happy that Porsche has not done what other manufacturers do, and that is to trash the older model by departing so much from it's look. I suppose that's what owning a 911 is all
    about. (notwithstansing the 993 to 996 change!)

Rick down under. MY02 C2 Lapis Blue.

Interesting
    It does look a bit like a "995", but i think it's because there's still camo left on the lights, and the color is totally lifeless.
    It has interesting features, anyway, and i think it has a lot of potential of looking great.

What about the bumper? Is that the final version, or just temporary? It looks a bit crude

I have mixed feelings at the moment, those pics give me enough reasons to be optimistic and worried at the same time

(do you remember the first official 996 pics? those were awful, everybody was dissapointed, but it turned out to be quite beautiful, right?)

It's interesting because it appears to be a US model with rear
    bumperettes; and that terrible American ride height. I still
    think it looks better than 996, because of the much wider rear
    fenders, and the return of our one Porsche tradition we've had
    since the 901 was conceived; oval headlights. the 996 was a departure from that ideal; and people didn't like it. Notice the
    hood shape is much different; rounded at the corners ala models 356-01, and Carrera GT. These must be the 997; how many different spy pics can we see that all look the same ?
    Revvv

Quote:
    Revvv said:
    ... the return of our one Porsche tradition we've had
    since the 901 was conceived; oval headlights. the 996 was a departure from that ideal; and people didn't like it.

I actually liked the early 996 headlights, except for the fact that they were also used on the Boxter.

I REALLY like the Turbo style 996 head lights, but understand that not everybody was thrilled by the move away from the 993/959 style.

997 Cabrio looks better

It looks to me like both the front and rear bumpers have false caps on them. Notice the tape line from the front side markers to the headlights, around the tail lights, and from the tail lights to the rear wheel well. And the turn signal & fog light assemblies appear to be recessed (also taped), when this is probably caused by the false cap (I'd guess the final turn/fog assemblies will be flush).

How so???? Just curious??

If my French is correct, the caption indicates 350 hp.....so a ~10% step up...

Here is my break down of the car, looks damm good(like that hott *** girls that would never give you the time of day), power as far as this particular car goes Im not worried about = I WANT THIS CAR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

shorter rear window?

Looking at the various photos I have noticed that the rear window appears to be shorter in front to rear length than it is on the 996. This appears to give the rear a more "humped up" appearance. Look carefully at some of the previously posted side photos (can't see on this one, because of the reflection) and note that the rear shelf of the interior appears to be higher than that of the 996. Maybe this is being done in order to provide extra height in the engine compartment to be able to put the taller V-8 back there for the 998 car.

//// \\\\ spider

Re: shorter rear window?

Quote:
    note that the rear shelf of the interior appears to be higher than that of the 996. Maybe this is being done in order to provide extra height in the engine compartment to be able to put the taller V-8 back there for the 998 car.

998 is supposed to be entirely a new design though.

Re: shorter rear window?

A design that will hopefully stay true to 911 proportions, but that V-8 sounds just waaay too exciting!

Quote:
    W8MM said:
    I actually liked the early 996 headlights, except for the fact that they were also used on the Boxter.

So I guess you're one of those people who wants their 911 to be different because you paid more for it? This argument has been a long-running joke about 911 owners. Well you got your revised headlights a few years later anyhow.

Why the attitude? Quite amusing, actually.

PS - it's Boxster.

Quote:
    brunner said:
    What about the bumper? Is that the final version, or just temporary? It looks a bit crude

I have mixed feelings at the moment, those pics give me enough reasons to be optimistic and worried at the same time

brunner you're right. This new front bumper, which we've now seen in 2 separate recent spyshots, looks horrible. I truly hope they improve on it, or maybe it's still wearing a fake front bumper (aside from the camo)...

Quote:
    swilsonator said:
    Quote:
    W8MM said:

So I guess you're one of those people who wants their 911 to be different because you paid more for it? This argument has been a long-running joke about 911 owners. Well you got your revised headlights a few years later anyhow.

Why the attitude? Quite amusing, actually.

PS - it's Boxster.

Attitude?

I'm at a loss, unless you're a Boxster type whose main satisfaction in life is paying way less for a car that looks like a 911 in the rearview mirror. I didn't say Boxsters were bad or unworthy, did I? I think they're pretty nice cars. Put my old 914/6 in a new light. Are you feeling defensive tonight?

Or, are you saying early 996 customers were P. T. Barnum's suckers for paying so much more than Boxster prices, and only getting 2+2 seating in return?

And, try as I might, I don't get what is so amusing about my comment. I was plenty embarrassed when I insulted a close friend by complimenting her "new Boxster" when I recounted seeing her in what turned out to be her new 996 cabriolet. I felt bad for saying it.

From your comment, I assume you would have smugly laughed in her face. That'd be quite a joke, alright.

Sorry to disappoint you but this car is still camoflaged.

Quote:
    RC said:

Barely so.

Quote:
    RC said:

I am NOT dissapointed
    The testmules on autobahn looked better than this, if i remember right

Pourscha, I agree. There is still camoflage where you suggest (or photoshop). There is more to see!

Quote:
    W8MM said:

Attitude?

I'm at a loss, unless you're a Boxster type whose main satisfaction in life is paying way less for a car that looks like a 911 in the rearview mirror. I didn't say Boxsters were bad or unworthy, did I? I think they're pretty nice cars. Put my old 914/6 in a new light. Are you feeling defensive tonight?

No I just wondered why the headlight issue is so important to be "different" for some 911 owners. Obviously there is a reason. So much enough that Porsche changed the design just a few years after 1999. I am just trying to understand the rationale of your comment.

Quote:
    W8MM said:
    Or, are you saying early 996 customers were P. T. Barnum's suckers for paying so much more than Boxster prices, and only getting 2+2 seating in return?

And, try as I might, I don't get what is so amusing about my comment. I was plenty embarrassed when I insulted a close friend by complimenting her "new Boxster" when I recounted seeing her in what turned out to be her new 996 cabriolet. I felt bad for saying it.

From your comment, I assume you would have smugly laughed in her face. That'd be quite a joke, alright.

Ouch. Not quite, but I am beginning to understand your thinking. It looks like you have us all wrong. This is not a competition. Lighten up, I was just looking for your thoughts on the comment that you made.

Quote:
    swilsonator said:
    ... I am beginning to understand your thinking. It looks like you have us all wrong. This is not a competition. Lighten up, I was just looking for your thoughts on the comment that you made.

OK, you're right, I'll lighten up a bunch.

About the non-unique visual identity problem, it's just a perceived value problem in the eyes of a casual observer. I'm not pissed about the headlight situation, it just complicates life for people and I'd rather it wasn't so messy.

That's really all I meant in my original comment.

Such a familiar expreience. swilsonator, don't waste your time, youv'e got better things to do.

Quote:
    M5er said:
    Such a familiar expreience. swilsonator, don't waste your time, youv'e got better things to do.

A PM to swilsonator would have been less rude, x-AMGeater, than putting it up for everybody to see. Please talk about me all you like behind my back, but don't expect me to avert my gaze when you do it in public.

What set me off was his statement that "This argument has been a long-running joke about 911 owners."

I guess I didn't get the joke, since it was clearly about me and others that chose the 996. Perhaps you agree with the joke, but two agreeing to be rude together doesn't seem like any way to make new friends.

Absent that one sentence, everything could have been very cordial. Which is the way I prefer it.

I thought you and I were off to a new start. What happened?

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    689325 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    409088 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255697 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    234946 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65500 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4644 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

857898 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    773904 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM