Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Factory Paint blemish! What would you do??

Thought I would run this by you all! I purchase a C4S, picked it up in Europe drove it around for 3 weeks, never noticing the small paint blemish at the time, I have an eye for detail, so I am perplexed by me not spotting it sooner.

Well when it was delivered to me a week ago I notice a small blemish on the edge of the passenger's door. It has air pockets in the area. I asked sales guy, service manager and finally the body shop pro. All said, "Factory"! The body shop guy was most convincing. Said the bubbling is from the baking.

Here is the problem. Porsche will most likely pick up the tab, but the body shop guy said that he would also need to repaint the rear quarter panel too! My 100k car is now going to have body shop work done on it before it has even been waxed! The car just won't be the same.

Do I live with the paint blemish? or have a body shop take a whirl with it??? SOB

Re: Factory Paint blemish! What would you do??

another pic.

From your photo it appears that the area is no more that about 0.5" (12mm) in length. If you feel that the car will not be the same, learn to live with it!

I am a real stickler for detail too, but that size of blemish I would definitely live with as opposed to having any paint work done.

very easy decision : do nothing !

Any chance of taking a picture from a little further away to get a better idea of location? I once started messing with something very, very minor and ended up having two thirds of the car painted. Turned into an absolute disaster and I eventually just sold it. I know your eye is drawn to it every time you look at the car but you may be much better off just getting over it; as difficult as that may seem. After repainting the door and quarter panel, you will invariably find minor flaws that may bug you even more!

This same topic came up a week ago on here. Similar thing happened to me but I decided to go for the paint work. No big deal and it's held up perfectly. I'm extremely picky and expect perfection.

CJ,--another plus for you is that part of the car doesn't routinely get sprayed with rocks and road debris,--like having a nose job.

dan

Your bodyshop while meaning well, may very well cause the repair / repaint to be much worse than the initial small blemish. I would leave it alone.

You asked for a better pic. You got it!

Judging by that last pic, I would definately just live with it.

A good body shop will make that look like the rest of the car. Fix it.

I am as bad as it gets concerning the condition of my cars. I can spot a door ding from 30 feet. Having said that, I believe I would leave it alone. I have come to realize that perfection is almost impossible. I had the entire front of my 997S covered with the clear bra. On the way home from the dealer with my brand new car, a rock or something bounced up and chipped the front right fender near the gasoline flap. Can't cover the entire car in plastic.

More recently I was driving my previously perfect Cayenne Turbo when again a bouncing rock or something hit the side of my car causing two chips in the paint before hitting the rear door handle and chipping it also.

Both of my cars are silver and it is almost impossible to properly touch them up since it looks different from each angle. Looking from the side you can't even see my touch-up. Looking from above it looks like a black spot.

I will continue to try my hardest, but unless you leave you car in a sealed room it is impossible to keep it perfect. I think having a repainted door would be a lot more troublesome that the little run that I am sure only you see. Very few paint shops can duplicate the factory paint job. I have never had a repaint in which I could not find flaws. And it may not be as durable.

Just my opinion.

Phil

I have a paintwork issue with mine also but (sorry) it isn't as bad and as noticeable as yours. It's a difficult one this as I know what you want to do, but I guess you're convinced it isn't going to come back as you wanted. If only we could get Porsche GB to resolve these issues rather than some hired body shop on behalf of an OPC.

Not sure it would require that level of blending in but what do I know.

Personally I would want it putting right, but knowing what its like trying to get a good paint job done I understand your predicament totally!

nothing

From your last photo, I would say there are talanted people out there who can improve that blemish significantly, without actually repainting. It may not be perfect but it can certainly be improved. Just don't sand through the clear coat!

I would live with it?

leave it or risk repainting the quarter panel and have your resale value drop

Quote:
    JAMS997GT3 said:
    From your last photo, I would say there are talanted people out there who can improve that blemish significantly, without actually repainting. It may not be perfect but it can certainly be improved. Just don't sand through the clear coat!

I second that. My car had a similar blemish at the left edge of the panel above the right tail light. They polished the raised area until it was flat, but had to airbrush the location afterwards. It came out 99% perfect. Nobody else can locate it now . The job was done at the factory, so they got the color right.

Wow it is a small nick but you know its there. If you can live with it leave it alone. If it is the first thing you look at everytime you go to and from your car, have it redone.

I'd just leave it be..

I'd live with it for sure. It's like having a virgin with a little scar or having a plastic surgeon have a "prima nocte" with her so that he can remove the scar before you get her. You'll know the paint blemish was there anyways and that the car is no longer "factory", even if their job was less than 100% perfect. I'd take it to a body shop only if it needed accident repair. As a matter of fact, apart from my 997S I also have a 968 that someone keyed, even though it did not go through the paint, and I have decided to leave it like that rather than getting the panel repainted.

I wouldn't do a thing except enjoy your car! Chances are the monkeys who would repair or wash it will F something up in the process, dirty your interior, scratch a door sill getting in your car or some other f-up. And it wouldn't be nice to have the fantatsic new Porsche interior smell replaced with the aroma of a body shop.

I simpathise with your feeling but live with it, it's really nothing.

Live with it. Dr. J. nailed it. Every time you roll into the dealer for any issue, you risk idiocy. I fix whatever I can myself, only go into the dealer if there's no other choice. The reason they want to spray your quarter is for blending, because they know damn well they can't match that metallic cold-turkey without spraying/blending into the 1/4 to obscure it. Painting 101.

Look at it this way, you'll always be able to identify your car is someone steals it..

Leave well enough alone. You have to figure that there is a meaningful change the remediation will cause another even more annoying problem. My 986 came with a slight imperfection in the softtop. I was initially worried that it would unravel over time, but wound up leaving it be and it looks exactly the same after seven years. And no one but me ever notices it.

Tough call.
    I wouldn't do anything right now.
    Wait a while, enjoy the car and see how you feel about it a little ways down the road.
    Sometimes stuff like this is the worst when you first find out about it but becomes less bothersome in time. If not you can take care of it later. I'm pyscho when it comes to imperfections to the point where I wish I would have just well enough alone because you can make a very small problem, worse. But other times it's worked out to the better by having something fixed. Luckily I've learned from my craziness and apply the above before deciding on similiar things. That's why I say sleep on it for a while.

ps: That fisrt picture is so interesting seeing the colors in the metallic paint.

Leave it, nothing is perfect but still better then a repaint.

Leave it alone. It's not large enough to mess with. I had a similar situation upon delivery of another silver car and had the dealer's body shop repaint the area. They had to repaint it 3x and delivered it back to me with overspray on just about everything. Another thing to consider, if you have it repainted they will more than likely have to repaint the entire door and if you should trade that car in at most high end dealers, they have a device available to detect if a car has been repainted. I had this happen when I went to trade it in and I received a much lower trade value as a result.

The problem is when you see an imperfection of some sort, you just can't forget about it and each time you'll look at the car, the only thing you'll see, even though no one else sees it, is that tiny little spot. Kind of thing that drives me crazy.

The good thing is that after while, it gets better

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    689325 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    409088 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255697 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    234946 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65500 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4644 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

857898 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    773904 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM