Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 - Turbo Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: 997TT vs Z06 vs F430 from an owners perspective.

Quote:
    Crash said:They are standing starts, because it's a one-lap flat-out sprint. It's also much easier to stay consistant this way. Otherwise, what would a flying start look like? 60 mph? 100 mph? 20 mph?

A flying lap would look like one of several top-speed laps. The beginning speed would be the ending speed from the previous lap. Maybe this is too difficult with the Ring's long distance and start/finish gate...

Quote:
    355Spider said:
    They have always been flying starts from what I have ever heard. Here's a good demonstration of exactly how quick the Z06 is.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=EdGvms2VaGw
    http://videos.streetfire.net/search/c6+z06/1/98c0da59-d89b-461e-aade-98100002e605.htm
    http://videos.streetfire.net/search/c6+z06/1/3ad6d833-5da9-4967-b9e4-9be3e8330c1f.htm

That Vette really sounds good!

Quote:
    Grant said:
    Quote:
    Crash said:They are standing starts, because it's a one-lap flat-out sprint. It's also much easier to stay consistant this way. Otherwise, what would a flying start look like? 60 mph? 100 mph? 20 mph?

A flying lap would look like one of several top-speed laps. The beginning speed would be the ending speed from the previous lap. Maybe this is too difficult with the Ring's long distance and start/finish gate...

Yes, quite unpleasant. 22 kilometres per lap, with the difficulty being bigger than on most other tracks per kilometre. AMS and Porsche perform standing starts, 355Spider.

Quote:
    Crash said:They are standing starts, because it's a one-lap flat-out sprint.

When this came up a few months ago here on this forum I e-mailed a friend who works for PCNA (he's a regional sales manager) and told I him I had heard that Porsche's Ring lap times were from a standing start. Here's what he said in reply...

"Just confirmed through our PR department, Porsche starts with a flying start contrary to your source."

Quote:
    Grant said:
    Quote:

It doesn't really matter if it's a standing or flying start.The distance between the starting point and the first corner is relatively small.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=7014510364856677447&q=nsx+r

Look where the clock starts.

Quote:
    355Spider said:
    They have always been flying starts from what I have ever heard. Here's a good demonstration of exactly how quick the Z06 is.

http://videos.streetfire.net/search/c6+z06/1/98c0da59-d89b-461e-aade-98100002e605.htm
    http://videos.streetfire.net/search/c6+z06/1/3ad6d833-5da9-4967-b9e4-9be3e8330c1f.htm

The official Porsche numbers are with a standing start. The same applies to the sportauto Supertest numbers. Also standing start. As a consequence, the official Porsche figures and the sportauto figures have always been very consistent.

Now, the Z06 time published by GM is with a flying start. Thus not comparable.

Quote:
    Walter said:
    Quote:
    Grant said:
    Quote:

It doesn't really matter if it's a standing or flying start.The distance between the starting point and the first corner is relatively small.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=7014510364856677447&q=nsx+r

Look where the clock starts.

The distance is large enough to reach around 150kph.

The difference between standing and flying start should be around 5 seconds.

Quote:
    Dock (Atlanta) said:
    Quote:
    Crash said:They are standing starts, because it's a one-lap flat-out sprint.

When this came up a few months ago here on this forum I e-mailed a friend who works for PCNA (he's a regional sales manager) and told I him I had heard that Porsche's Ring lap times were from a standing start. Here's what he said in reply...

"Just confirmed through our PR department, Porsche starts with a flying start contrary to your source."

Dock, don't believe everything dealers say. It has been a standing start lap for a long time, by both Porsche and Sport Auto.

LOL... some of you are so hell-bent on being the consummate "defender of all that is Porsche" that you will refute information that comes from Porsche if it is not in line with your own propaganda.

It really is funny if you were a non-biased observer.

Quote:
    SoCalHoosier said:
    LOL... some of you are so hell-bent on being the consummate "defender of all that is Porsche" that you will refute information that comes from Porsche if it is not in line with your own propaganda.

It really is funny if you were a non-biased observer.

Nothing you said in your post is actually true, but mkay . I wouldn't trust anything a dealer says, much less in North America. You have long-time Porsche owners from Germany here, with ties to Porsche and AMS and you refute all of their claims as Porsche defending? If their information is worth nothing, then I don't know how I'd rate a dealer 6000 miles away...

Quote:
    355Spider said:

I've seen these B.S. Videos on the Vette Forum. The Z06 has "NEVER" Beaten a Ford GT in straightline performance in any of the 10 articles I've read. I mean 0-60,0-100,0-150,Rolling,Quarter mile top speed. The GT is King!

Quote:
    Crash said:Dock, don't believe everything dealers say. It has been a standing start lap for a long time, by both Porsche and Sport Auto.

I don't believe everything dealers tell me...the problem is it wasn't the dealer who told me, it was PCNA...Porsche Cars North America. And they checked with PAG.

Forget trying to explain it to him... Sport Auto knows more about Porsche than Porsche does. (especially if it paints Porsche in a better light)

I can't believe I read this thread, all the way to the end, hoping for shred of enjoyment or education.

There is infinitely more to driving than track times published in magazines and idiotic 1/4 mile face offs. I suspect most people here - even those with years of track experience (like me) honestly give a rat's butt about the differences in performance among these top performing cars. Come on...it's a percent or two at most.

Do I want to ride around in a junky Chevy product, if I can afford a Porsche? Absolutely not. I'd keep driving my way, way slower C4 before I'd consider a Chevy product. The engine noises, seating position, outward visibility, rear engine driving dynamics, quality interior..........these things MATTER - matter in the minute to minute, every circumstance, speed limit or traffic jammed experience of the real world in which we travel during the HUGE proportion of our daily driving lives. Who here doesn't think so? I wouldn't be caught dead in a Corvette as long as I can afford a good Porsche. The question for me is not whether the Z06 compares in any way to a 997tt. Does it clearly outshine my passion for my 3.8 c4s - a far slower, far older car. Funny, I still haven't decided...

Quote:
    Charlie997tt said:I suspect most people here - even those with years of track experience (like me) honestly give a rat's butt about the differences in performance among these top performing cars. Come on...it's a percent or two at most.

...The engine noises, seating position, outward visibility, rear engine driving dynamics, quality interior..........these things MATTER - matter in the minute to minute, every circumstance, speed limit or traffic jammed experience of the real world in which we travel during the HUGE proportion of our daily driving lives. Who here doesn't think so?

I agree very much with what you said in the quote above.

Good luck finding very many Vette owners who understand what you're talking about though.

Quote:
    Dock (Atlanta) said:
    Quote:
    Charlie997tt said:I suspect most people here - even those with years of track experience (like me) honestly give a rat's butt about the differences in performance among these top performing cars. Come on...it's a percent or two at most.

...The engine noises, seating position, outward visibility, rear engine driving dynamics, quality interior..........these things MATTER - matter in the minute to minute, every circumstance, speed limit or traffic jammed experience of the real world in which we travel during the HUGE proportion of our daily driving lives. Who here doesn't think so?

I agree very much with what you said in the quote above.

Good luck finding very many Vette owners who understand what you're talking about though.

I understand. Having traded my 996TT on my Z. The 996TT had too many mechanical issues, and at the end of the day Porsche and the dealer could not fix it timely. Was it the exception and not the rule, absolutely. I loved the Porsche and can't wait to own another. The Z pleases me in a completely different way. Deep exhaust note, big V8 and awesome track manners. And when I'm driving it day to day, I enjoy almost everything about it. If the plastic interior really bothered me, $1500 bucks would fix it.

Stupid statements like "you just don't understand" or "you just don't get it" are ridiculous. Most if not all of the Z owners that I know could afford a Porsche.

Quote:
    Crash said:
    Quote:
    355Spider said:
    Lots of sour grapes on here. It's funny because when you ask Vette owners who has nicer build quality, the Z06 or the TT. The will all say the TT does. But when you ask which is faster the Porsche guys will never admit the Z might be faster. The TT is a great car, one o the best, but it just can't beat the Z06 in every category and there's nothing wrong with that. GM put together a car that would be a stunning performer and if you have every driven one you would believe it. Yeah the interior is mid grade materials but it's very well put together and that's exactly what they intended. MSN auto just rated the Vette on top for quality for the 3rd year in a row(http://autos.msn.com/advice/article.aspx?contentid=4020223). Sure they use mid grade materials but that's the point.
    And why are we supposed to trust Porsche and their Ring times and not trust GM? And they are all done with flying starts. What kind of [censored] would publish one that is not when they can get a faster time with one. Everything I have ever read references flying starts.
    I would be a little more upset if I owned a Ford GT. Of all of the races I have seen between those 2 the Z comes out on top.
    You guys should give the Z06 it's props. It's due them. It's just ugly when you can't admit what everyone else can clearly see.
    Ferraris and Lambos are more beautiful and passionate than Porsches and very few of you will argue that. It doesn't make Porsche any less great of a car. So what if the Z is faster. The TT is still the TT if you know what I mean.

Nobpdy is disputing the fact that the C6Z is SERIOUSLY fast. What I am disputing is the fact that it will be faster on winding roads, where its track prowess might prove to be a hindrance. It was the same with the old GT2 and Turbo, where the Turbo was often found to be faster on normal roads, due to uneven surfaces.
    Don't think people here don't like Corvettes, most of us do. However, we dislike the idiots wo come here and troll our boards, touting the Corvette as the best sports car there is, better than all the euro trash overpriced Porsches and threatening to blow all our doors off (you know who ).
    Personally, I can't wait to see what the new Blue Devil/Stingray/SS can do, as long as the owners keep their big mouths shut and play nice.

Regarding ring times, Porsche are the ones who startzed the Ring craze. Why we can trust them? Because these times are always replicated by magazines, uaing a standing start. Chevrolet, on the other hand, has nothing but their word to prove it. Wait for the new supertests of the Corvette and the Turbo. You'll see.

Good post Crash. Totally agree on the daily driving ease of awd. I also agree on trolls. I read a couple of other boards. On the corvetteforum, the same couple of idiots come out when the P word is mentioned only to [censored] off a couple of the idiots willing to spew redneck garbage. No different that the idiots on this board that spew the "why would I own a crappy plastic corvette if I can afford a finely german engineered 'you obviously don't understand it' Porsche."

Different strokes for different folks. At the track, I sure enjoy talking with the Lotus guys, the P guys, the Ferrari guys and obviously the Corvette guys. Most people who truly enjoy racing just like cars.

Quote:
    twinturbo001 said:
    Quote:
    355Spider said:

I've seen these B.S. Videos on the Vette Forum. The Z06 has "NEVER" Beaten a Ford GT in straightline performance in any of the 10 articles I've read. I mean 0-60,0-100,0-150,Rolling,Quarter mile top speed. The GT is King!

the video of utube... how many Hp's have the vette if it has in Rwhp 488 the rest is BS

Quote:
    xandi911 said:
    Quote:
    twinturbo001 said:
    Quote:
    355Spider said:

the video of utube... how many Hp's have the vette if it has in Rwhp 488 the rest is BS

Every Z06 engine is inspected and certified by a 3rd party
    SAE approved engineering company to produce a MINIMUM
    of 505 bhp.

Most of them appear to be making 525bhp on the average. A less restrictive exhaust can easily add make another 15 or 20hp more on its 7 liter engine. So 488 rwhp is not a wild claim to make.

The only good Corvette news for Porsche slaves is that adding beyond 600hp in a Vette is futile for better 0 ro 60 mph times. It simply cant use up any more hp beyond that for standing starts. After 100mph its another story.

Quote:
    forhamilton said:
    Quote:
    Crash said:
    Quote:
    355Spider said:
    Lots of sour grapes on here. It's funny because when you ask Vette owners who has nicer build quality, the Z06 or the TT. The will all say the TT does. But when you ask which is faster the Porsche guys will never admit the Z might be faster. The TT is a great car, one o the best, but it just can't beat the Z06 in every category and there's nothing wrong with that. GM put together a car that would be a stunning performer and if you have every driven one you would believe it. Yeah the interior is mid grade materials but it's very well put together and that's exactly what they intended. MSN auto just rated the Vette on top for quality for the 3rd year in a row(http://autos.msn.com/advice/article.aspx?contentid=4020223). Sure they use mid grade materials but that's the point.
    And why are we supposed to trust Porsche and their Ring times and not trust GM? And they are all done with flying starts. What kind of [censored] would publish one that is not when they can get a faster time with one. Everything I have ever read references flying starts.
    I would be a little more upset if I owned a Ford GT. Of all of the races I have seen between those 2 the Z comes out on top.
    You guys should give the Z06 it's props. It's due them. It's just ugly when you can't admit what everyone else can clearly see.
    Ferraris and Lambos are more beautiful and passionate than Porsches and very few of you will argue that. It doesn't make Porsche any less great of a car. So what if the Z is faster. The TT is still the TT if you know what I mean.

Nobpdy is disputing the fact that the C6Z is SERIOUSLY fast. What I am disputing is the fact that it will be faster on winding roads, where its track prowess might prove to be a hindrance. It was the same with the old GT2 and Turbo, where the Turbo was often found to be faster on normal roads, due to uneven surfaces.
    Don't think people here don't like Corvettes, most of us do. However, we dislike the idiots wo come here and troll our boards, touting the Corvette as the best sports car there is, better than all the euro trash overpriced Porsches and threatening to blow all our doors off (you know who ).
    Personally, I can't wait to see what the new Blue Devil/Stingray/SS can do, as long as the owners keep their big mouths shut and play nice.

Regarding ring times, Porsche are the ones who startzed the Ring craze. Why we can trust them? Because these times are always replicated by magazines, uaing a standing start. Chevrolet, on the other hand, has nothing but their word to prove it. Wait for the new supertests of the Corvette and the Turbo. You'll see.

Good post Crash. Totally agree on the daily driving ease of awd. I also agree on trolls. I read a couple of other boards. On the corvetteforum, the same couple of idiots come out when the P word is mentioned only to [censored] off a couple of the idiots willing to spew redneck garbage. No different that the idiots on this board that spew the "why would I own a crappy plastic corvette if I can afford a finely german engineered 'you obviously don't understand it' Porsche."

Different strokes for different folks. At the track, I sure enjoy talking with the Lotus guys, the P guys, the Ferrari guys and obviously the Corvette guys. Most people who truly enjoy racing just like cars.

I agree, there has to be mutual respect. Don't say bad things about our overpriced VW Bugs and we won't insult your plastic with wheels .

Dock,
    I know what you said. However, are you sure they actually checked with PAG or did somebody just decide to play expert and blurt something out? Not that I would want to ignore it, but this is honestly the first time I've heard it.

SoCalHoosier:
    Again, I have more faith in our European members than some PCNA guy who claimed to call Porsche. Do I actually care? No. However, I'd prefer to have all the facts. Let's wait what RC says and then you can sit there in disbelief all you want.

Correct. At the race track there is no discussion about who's faster cause it is determined on the track. I raced a F348 challenge in the Improved Touring class of the SCCA against vettes, bmws, etc. and it was a great group. The 348 was outclassed by the vettes (I came in 3rd for the season), but the sound of the Ferrari on the track and its appearance got a lot of attention. It also created expectations of performance that weren't quite there.

forhamilton - The Vette guys I read about fully understand what they like about the Vette, what they don't understand are the reasons why I like the Porsche. For the majority of these Vette guys it's ALL about performance numbers. I fully understand this approach to buying a sports car; however, the Vette guys don't have a similar understand about my reasons for buying a sports car. Their typical retorts are not only "why would you buy a sports car that the Vette will "destroy"/"show its tail lights to"/"spank", but also "Why would you pay more money for it?".

Concepts like feedback of the driving controls, sight lines from the driving position, looks, and the rear engine driving experience don't even register with these guys. They believe there is some kind of "performance to dollar" formula, and if you pay more for equal or less performance you're clueless. It's also a total swing-and-a-miss with them mentally why a car can have better numbers in most stopwatch/tape measure performance measurements and still not be judged #1 in a multi-car comparison.

Quote:
    Dock (Atlanta) said:
    forhamilton - The Vette guys I read about fully understand what they like about the Vette, what they don't understand are the reasons why I like the Porsche. For the majority of these Vette guys it's ALL about performance numbers. I fully understand this approach to buying a sports car; however, the Vette guys don't have a similar understand about my reasons for buying a sports car. Their typical retorts are not only "why would you buy a sports car that the Vette will "destroy"/"show its tail lights to"/"spank", but also "Why would you pay more money for it?".

Concepts like feedback of the driving controls, sight lines from the driving position, looks, and the rear engine driving experience don't even register with these guys. They believe there is some kind of "performance to dollar" formula, and if you pay more for equal or less performance you're clueless. It's also a total swing-and-a-miss with them mentally why a car can have better numbers in most stopwatch/tape measure performance measurements and still not be judged #1 in a multi-car comparison.

As we've said, mutual respect, and we'll all be happy.

I tend to agree with you. I would say 9 time out of ten the GT should win but I have seen two videos and talked to two other people Z06 won. One guy owns both and raced then and another guy owns an exotic car rental company and they raced both of them and the Z06 won. I wouldn't be so fast to call the videos BS. Why would someone drive their GT and purposely lose?

Quote:
    355Spider said:
    I tend to agree with you. I would say 9 time out of ten the GT should win but I have seen two videos and talked to two other people Z06 won. One guy owns both and raced then and another guy owns an exotic car rental company and they raced both of them and the Z06 won.

It should surprise me that Porsche didn't match the Z06 performance, but then again, this gives them more selling power for their powerkit .

Quote:
    Charlie997tt said:
    I can't believe I read this thread, all the way to the end, hoping for shred of enjoyment or education.

There is infinitely more to driving than track times published in magazines and idiotic 1/4 mile face offs. I suspect most people here - even those with years of track experience (like me) honestly give a rat's butt about the differences in performance among these top performing cars. Come on...it's a percent or two at most.

Do I want to ride around in a junky Chevy product, if I can afford a Porsche? Absolutely not. I'd keep driving my way, way slower C4 before I'd consider a Chevy product. The engine noises, seating position, outward visibility, rear engine driving dynamics, quality interior..........these things MATTER - matter in the minute to minute, every circumstance, speed limit or traffic jammed experience of the real world in which we travel during the HUGE proportion of our daily driving lives. Who here doesn't think so? I wouldn't be caught dead in a Corvette as long as I can afford a good Porsche. The question for me is not whether the Z06 compares in any way to a 997tt. Does it clearly outshine my passion for my 3.8 c4s - a far slower, far older car. Funny, I still haven't decided...

I had a Ferrari before my Vette. And I could say the same thing about Porsche adn Ferrari as you just said the Z06. But I don't look down my nose and say why would I ever drive a Porsche when I can afford a Ferrari. That just limits your life and life experiences. It's that kind of attitude that can keep you from enjoying many things in your life. Why wouldn't you want to drive a Z06 if it offers a great driving experience?

Quote:
    xandi911 said:
    Quote:
    twinturbo001 said:
    Quote:
    355Spider said:

He has about 25 more hp than stock. Most of them stock are dynoing between 450-465rwhp which is at about 520-550hp. GM pulled a Porsche and understated hp by a good bit. Same for the Ford GT though. They often dyno from 520-550rwhp. That's about 650 crank hp.

Quote:
    355Spider said:
    Quote:
    xandi911 said:
    Quote:
    twinturbo001 said:
    Quote:
    355Spider said:

He has about 25 more hp than stock. Most of them stock are dynoing between 450-465rwhp which is at about 520-550hp. GM pulled a Porsche and understated hp by a good bit. Same for the Ford GT though. They often dyno from 520-550rwhp. That's about 650 crank hp.

That might be a reason why the Z06s tested in Europe produced rather poor performance figures compared to the numbers some US posters claim: In Germany, for example, a Z06 that offered e.g. 550hp would be illegal. There is a legislative cap on any deviation from the official specs. 550hp would be above that cap.

Maybe that is the reason why European Z06 test (and customer) cars are such underperformers

Quote:
    MKSGR said:
    Quote:
    355Spider said:
    Quote:
    xandi911 said:
    Quote:
    twinturbo001 said:
    Quote:
    355Spider said:

That might be a reason why the Z06s tested in Europe produced rather poor performance figures compared to the numbers some US posters claim: In Germany, for example, a Z06 that offered e.g. 550hp would be illegal. There is a legislative cap on any deviation from the official specs. 550hp would be above that cap.

Maybe that is the reason why European Z06 test (and customer) cars are such underperformers

Never thought of that! Might be the case, no?

Quote:
    MKSGR said:
    Quote:
    355Spider said:
    Quote:
    xandi911 said:
    Quote:
    twinturbo001 said:
    Quote:
    355Spider said:

Maybe so.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    778105 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    442042 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    262948 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    261200 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    85464 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5701 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

880866 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    816466 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM