Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: New pics of 911 Facelift...

Despite what some of you skeptics are saying 20hp in combination with PDK will be a tremendous upgrade for the car.

Quote:
    luwalira said:
    Despite what some of you skeptics are saying 20hp in combination with PDK will be a tremendous upgrade for the car.

Yep. And that all in combination with the new DFI-engines.

Quote:
    luwalira said:

It will be, but the main critic is that it is two years late.

New Spy Shot, Not

This is not a current photo.

Unless they really do grow their corn in Germany during the winter and harvest it in the Spring.

Re: New Spy Shot, Not

Quote:
    CarreraTT said:
    This is not a current photo.

Unless they really do grow their corn in Germany during the winter and harvest it in the Spring.

Well, that's one od the advantage of genetic engineering.

Re: New Spy Shot, Not

There is one thing that I am much interested into when thinking about the facelift of the 997 series. Do you guys think that there is a possibility for us to see LIGHTER facelifted 997s??

I know that construction-wise it will be pretty hard to achieve a massive weight loss for the 997 product life, and maybe we can expect lighter 911s in the 998, or 991 models (no matter how it will be called)... but I am just wondering, is it possible to see the facelifted 997s, maybe 50 or 60 kilos lighter, and with a power gain of 20-30 or even 40 hp, PDK, and DFI engines, that will make one hell of a car!

Cheers!

The facelift just hasn't gone far enough. The standard 997/S is starting to look really dated when compared against the R8 and Vantage but Porsche keep selling them so what do I know.

Quote:
    markwm said:
    The facelift just hasn't gone far enough. The standard 997/S is starting to look really dated when compared against the R8 and Vantage but Porsche keep selling them so what do I know.

911 is classic design. R8 is just today's design and a big TT and its styling elements will go out of fashion in a couple of years. Aston is ok appearance wise but it is a very limited brand, coveted mostly by "English Gentlemen" so it is not really in the same market as Porsche.
    Classic shapes, like for example a Rolex watch, never lose their appeal and only a fool would tamper with them for the sake of modernity and change.

just heard today the S is getting 30 HP and not 20 as previously said. Not Bad. Moreover there is a GT3 RSR to be announced

Quote:
    Fabio said:
    just heard today the S is getting 30 HP and not 20 as previously said. Not Bad. Moreover there is a GT3 RSR to be announced

GT3 RSR racing car?

I thought that is already announced?

sorry then...i might have skipped the announcement... moreover some interesting features will be announced regarding the gt3 rsr

Quote:
    Turbo4ever said:
    Quote:
    Fabio said:

GT3 RSR racing car?

I thought that is already announced?

Ok! sorry but i did read your message too quick!

A gt3 RSR STRADALE will be announced!!!!!!

Holy sh*t... that would be really news.
    But wtf?!? I mean:
    GT3 = ultimate track 911
    GT3 rs = extremely ultimate track 911
    GT3 rsr = ... What?

Quote:
    reginos said:
    Aston is ok appearance wise but it is a very limited brand, coveted mostly by "English Gentlemen" so it is not really in the same market as Porsche.

A majority of AMV8 owners were previous 911 owners, how can you say it is not the same market? Obviously they decided to "upgrade" to an Aston and didn't get the 997TT...

Quote:
    Joost said:
    Holy sh*t... that would be really news.
    But wtf?!? I mean:
    GT3 = ultimate track 911
    GT3 rs = extremely ultimate track 911
    GT3 rsr = ... What?

Would they need it for homologation?

Quote:
    SciFrog said:
    Quote:
    reginos said:
    Aston is ok appearance wise but it is a very limited brand, coveted mostly by "English Gentlemen" so it is not really in the same market as Porsche.

A majority of AMV8 owners were previous 911 owners, how can you say it is not the same market? Obviously they decided to "upgrade" to an Aston and didn't get the 997TT...

Come on. Have you looked at 911 turbo sales number? They have sold a LOT of turbos

Quote:
    SciFrog said:Would they need it for homologation?

They would need it as a reason to print money They will sell for LOTS of money and collectors will love them.

Remember, there was a street-legal (Touring) version of the 1973 Carrera RSR 2.8 and those are worth a fortune today...

Stradale = Street Legal version

Quote:
    Fabio said:

Come on. Have you looked at 911 turbo sales number? They have sold a LOT of turbos

198 turbo coupe in the US from Jan to March, you think that is a lot?

450 TT cabs which is a brand new model out!

Annualized and considering US is 1/3 of world sales, that is 7,776 TT coupe plus cab. FYI Aston probably sold 4,000 Vantage annually...

I don't know about Aston numbers bu Porsche numbers are very good.

Quote:
    SciFrog said:
    Quote:
    reginos said:

Aston is a "gentleman's car" and not a sports/track car like Porsche. And I am not saying this in a negative way because but in a descriptive way. Aston is a good brand trying to establish itself commercially. Aston's competition is the new Maserati and maybe Bentley GT because the Aston buyer fancies the Bentley image. A Porsche person normally wouldn't be seen in a Bentley. Of course a Porsche owner can migrate to Aston but he can also buy any other brand because consumers' tastes and priorities change over time. The fact the some people go from Porsche to Aston doesn't mean that these cars serve the same purpose or have similar DNA.

An extra 30hp compared to an extra 20hp would be interesting. Why? Because the X51 Powerkit only gives an extra 26hp. So it might be cheaper for owners to upgrade to the FL C2S than to get a Tequipment retrofit of the X51. I guess it depends on how big a depreciation hit they would suffer.

An extra 30hp on the base Carrera takes it up to the same output as the pre-facelift C2S. Interesting. It's better than I was expecting. I had been expecting 20-25hp.

Quote:
    reginos said:
    Quote:
    SciFrog said:
    Quote:
    reginos said:

Aston is a "gentleman's car" and not a sports/track car like Porsche. And I am not saying this in a negative way because but in a descriptive way. Aston is a good brand trying to establish itself commercially. Aston's competition is the new Maserati and maybe Bentley GT because the Aston buyer fancies the Bentley image. A Porsche person normally wouldn't be seen in a Bentley. Of course a Porsche owner can migrate to Aston but he can also buy any other brand because consumers' tastes and priorities change over time. The fact the some people go from Porsche to Aston doesn't mean that these cars serve the same purpose or have similar DNA.

Vantage are cheaper than TT even in the US where Porsche prices are heavily subsidized...

Ferrari in the US is not in the same price league as Aston, every F is at least 1.5 times more in the same segment.

The Vantage was purpose built to compete with N/A 997S but with a nicer package and higher price point...

Of course they are in the same segment, just not the same price.

Best pictures so far. This car will be a stunner, the front end looks very promising.

On the last pic you can clearly see, that the black part at the bottom of the new rear lights is only camouflage.

I will pose the same question as Scifrog.

Why did AMV8 buyers NOT buy a 911 turbo especially when many of them owned a 911 before the AMV8?

Porsche's image crisis as some of us would try and convince you of?

We could discuss this for years, but at the end of the day it comes down to AM having a better image.

The V8 is quite sporty thank you very much. The turbo is an ubercoupe, but really lacks soul.

Quote:
    Moogle said:
    I will pose the same question as Scifrog.

Why did AMV8 buyers NOT buy a 911 turbo especially when many of them owned a 911 before the AMV8?

Porsche's image crisis as some of us would try and convince you of?

We could discuss this for years, but at the end of the day it comes down to AM having a better image.

The V8 is quite sporty thank you very much. The turbo is an ubercoupe, but really lacks soul.

My answer: It is too much similar in appearance to the normal 911. The 911 is an affordable car competing against mainsteam brands, whereas the Turbo crosses the price line and enters a different segment. People who can pass this price threshold want something more ostentatious and more exclusive hence an Aston or a Maserati or Bentley. This is why Porsche shouls create a front engined GT/Coupe, a modern day 928+ to take on the competition. I expect this to be their next goal based on the Panamera hardware.

AMV8V

It's a great car, with a wonderful sounding engine, great styling and great balanced handling. You have to rev it more, and the driving technique seems very different from that of a 997.

The other big plus is the seemingly greater level of personalization you can have.

The 997 by comparison lacks exclusiveness and some of those GT-like sybaritic pleasures the Aston offers.

Re: AMV8V

Three other points:
    perceived performance (ie the 997TT is not faster than the 996TTS, so why bother). You are buying the dream of super duper performance, most people will never drive the car above 80% (especially in the US). The 997TT dissapointed there, so why bother with it.

real performance usage: no one needs that much power, I would feel compeled to drive much faster with a GT3 or TT to get the same sensations. So it all comes down to drive feeling and passion. Porsche does not deliver this with the TT, I have more fun in my Aston and in the Mini. I really should try an Elise.

Last is lack of bluetooth/iPod/PDK. Some will argue it is irrelevant in the TT. It is in the GT2/3 but not in the TT...

Re: AMV8V

Quote:
    Le Chef said:
    It's a great car, with a wonderful sounding engine, great styling and great balanced handling. You have to rev it more, and the driving technique seems very different from that of a 997.

OT:

So true, just breaking the 1,000 miles mark, I though the car was a bit underpowered, but as confidence grows and higher RPM are reached, there is plenty of power up there. More than enough to get in trouble during my daily driving in the US anyway. You need to rev the car all the way. It lacks a little torque at lower RPM, but you shouldn't spend too much time down there anyway. Downshifting is so much fun with the Sportshift...

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    761501 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    434831 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    260213 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    257364 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    80853 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5317 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

871669 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    806973 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM