Crown

Board: Ferrari Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Interesting conclusion of the article in C&D concerning the

430, 997TT and Z06. Here is what they wrote:

"You could argue that the Porsche is the more complete car or the Corvette should win because of its enormous value for the dollar, but bank account willing, this is the car (430) out of the trio.It is an astonishing achievement for such a small automaker, because as well as providing so much excitement and entertainment, it is a perfectly good daily driver. THE MERE EXISTENCE OF THIS CAR BRINGS US TO QUESTION WHY YOU WOULD WANT (OR NEED) A BUGGATI VEYRON OR A PORSCHE CGT,OR EVEN A FERRARI 599GTB. IT IS THAT GOOD.

Indeed high praise. But of course, those of us fortunate enough to own a 430 knew that already. To think the 430 will be replaced in a short two years with something even better, bodes well for us Ferrariphiles.

Re: Interesting conclusion of the article in C&D concerning the

yes Nick , we know, as owners, BUT do you know it too ?? ever used the car for what it has been made for ... ???

... and WHY would you want a Bugatti veyron, or a CGT ... simply, because they are even better, simple isn't it !

Quote:
    nberry said:

"You could argue that the Porsche is the more complete car or the Corvette should win because of its enormous value for the dollar, but bank account willing, this is the car (430) out of the trio.It is an astonishing achievement for such a small automaker, because as well as providing so much excitement and entertainment, it is a perfectly good daily driver. THE MERE EXISTENCE OF THIS CAR BRINGS US TO QUESTION WHY YOU WOULD WANT (OR NEED) A BUGGATI VEYRON OR A PORSCHE CGT,OR EVEN A FERRARI 599GTB. IT IS THAT GOOD.

Indeed high praise. But of course, those of us fortunate enough to own a 430 knew that already. To think the 430 will be replaced in a short two years with something even better, bodes well for us Ferrariphiles.

Congrats on 2300 posts ! I think having both would be the best course of action.

Patriek, what makes you think I do not know my car? Because I do not boast what I do with it?

Quote:
    nberry said:
    Patriek, what makes you think I do not know my car? Because I do not boast what I do with it?

You claimed to do 150 mph with it. Showoff.

Quote:
    nberry said:

I understand their reasoning. It makese sense. Similarly, let me say WITH THE EXISTENCE OF AN EXCITING AND ENTERTAINING CAR LIKE THE PORSCHE 997 THAT IS SO GOOD AT BEING A DAILY DRIVER , WHY WOULD YOU WANT OR NEED A FERRARI F430? IT IS THAT GOOD. Indeed.

David

Since you insist on raising the 997TT here are the conclusions form the article.

The new Turbo is a mighty fine vehicle, but there's something lacking. It is incredibly fast and rewarding to drive at almost any speed, thanks to the beautifully weighted controls, but it doesn't get the juices flowing or stir the soul. You are impressed by it, rather than in love with it. it's a car you can use everday, rain, or shine, in the city or on the open road, but we would rather save 20 grand and buy a 911GT3, which sounds better and is a purer driving experience.

I would love a 430 but I think the quote from the article admits that Porsche achieves what it aims for - "It is incredibly fast and rewarding to drive at almost any speed, thanks to the beautifully weighted controls, it's a car you can use everday, rain, or shine, in the city or on the open road" - just to quote you.

I don't really compare sirloin and rib eye : ) both nice! Both cars are amazing and I think if I had the means I would both!

I once read somewhere because Porsche sells more 911's than Ferrari does all its models and a lot (not all) Porsche owners could buy either but choose Porsche says a lot for Porsche - there are so many different pro Porsche or Ferrari arguments I don't even go there!

Quote:
    Porky Tokyo said:
    I would love a 430 but I think the quote from the article admits that Porsche achieves what it aims for - "It is incredibly fast and rewarding to drive at almost any speed, thanks to the beautifully weighted controls, it's a car you can use everday, rain, or shine, in the city or on the open road" - just to quote you.

I don't really compare sirloin and rib eye : ) both nice! Both cars are amazing and I think if I had the means I would both!

I once read somewhere because Porsche sells more 911's than Ferrari does all its models and a lot (not all) Porsche owners could buy either but choose Porsche says a lot for Porsche - there are so many different pro Porsche or Ferrari arguments I don't even go there!

You're on the right track...now what if that sirloin or rib eye cost 100% more than the other, which one you pick then? That my friend is the most important point of the C&D article that Nick quoted.

Nick cynically thinks all Porsche drivers secretly yearn for a Ferrari but couldn't afford or wait for one. Same kind of perverted thinking by some snobs that wear Rolex watches (I hear the new Daytona has a one year waiting list) think of guys who wear Omega. These types of people are in the minority (note there's exactly one person with Nick's viewpoints on rennteam.com) and are basically trolls suffering from the usual borderline psychological problems that are the root cause of cynical and twisted thinking making them trolls.

I know several Porsche owners that could easily afford a Ferrari. Sometimes it comes down to whether you're a "Porsche guy" or a "Ferrari guy" and individual personality. Take Steve Jobs (CEO of Apple and Pixar) and Larry Ellison (CEO of Oracle). Larry's daily driver is a Ferrari and fits his personality (I doubt Larry goes around poo-pooing Porsche like Nick). Steve Jobs is a "Porsche guy". He drove a 928 during his Apple days. He drove a 911 during his NeXT days. Now I hear he drives a Carrera GT. He could have had the latest Ferrari at any time (after Apple's IPO) but never bought one. I don't think he ever will. Steve understands and appreciates engineering and design, i.e. substance over style.

David

Quote:
    DavidSF said:
    Quote:
    Porky Tokyo said:

You're on the right track...now what if that sirloin or rib eye cost 100% more than the other, which one you pick then? That my friend is the most important point of the C&D article that Nick quoted.

Nick cynically thinks all Porsche drivers secretly yearn for a Ferrari but couldn't afford or wait for one. Same kind of perverted thinking by some snobs that wear Rolex watches (I hear the new Daytona has a one year waiting list) think of guys who wear Omega. These types of people are in the minority (note there's exactly one person with Nick's viewpoints on rennteam.com) and are basically trolls suffering from the usual borderline psychological problems that are the root cause of cynical and twisted thinking making them trolls.

I know several Porsche owners that could easily afford a Ferrari. Sometimes it comes down to whether you're a "Porsche guy" or a "Ferrari guy" and individual personality. Take Steve Jobs (CEO of Apple and Pixar) and Larry Ellison (CEO of Oracle). Larry's daily driver is a Ferrari and fits his personality (I doubt Larry goes around poo-pooing Porsche like Nick). Steve Jobs is a "Porsche guy". He drove a 928 during his Apple days. He drove a 911 during his NeXT days. Now I hear he drives a Carrera GT. He could have had the latest Ferrari at any time (after Apple's IPO) but never bought one. I don't think he ever will. Steve understands and appreciates engineering and design, i.e. substance over style.

David

Well said!

Quote:
    DavidSF said:
    Quote:
    Porky Tokyo said:

David

Understand the thesis you want to prove ...but few poss misleading/confounding datapoints.....Larry has many cars, incl CGT and others, but heard he hasn't gotten a new F in 5+yrs, after a couple burned down during use , but most often seems to drive a nondescript SL55 (not 65) ....Steve also drives SL55 (not 65) most often ....and the Goog co-founders each drive Prius ....

Would argue car brands and/or choice of more expensive brand/model poorly correlate in cases of guys worth >>$100MM in businesses like tech/finance....everyone who matters knows who they are and roughly what their net worth is; prob 90%+ of these guys really don't care much about cars....and just get a big Benz by default...respectable/comfortable/safe enough car for their needs....

But they (and numerous other SilicVy tech guys and venture capitalists) each own multiple large planes of differing brands/sizes as, just as w/sportscars, each has strengths/weaknesses in terms of longest flt range w/o need for refueling stop, cabin ht, ability to land at smaller airports, etc. (a rather complex, on-going debate for plane enthusiasts)....

Steve Jobs now commutes in a M5.

Don't get too wrapped up in who drives what. Some of them are master grade A wholes.

Quote:
    DavidSF said:
    Quote:
    Porky Tokyo said:

David

I don't know...I think rather than "Porsche guys" and "Ferrari guys", we're all car guys and circumstances, to a large degree, dictate what we choose to buy and drive. I owned Porsches all my life until just a few years ago when I had an opportunity to buy a new 360 Modena at MSRP. I wasn't about to pass it up, because frankly, for all the talk of sirloin and rib eye, it's cheaper - way cheaper - to drive Ferraris than Porsches if you can buy Ferraris at MSRP. And I must say, it is the best thing that ever happened to me in the car world. The only thing you give up when you own a Ferrari instead of a Porsche, really, is the daily driver quotient, which to me is not that important, since I own these cars for secluded-road drives and track days, not as daily drivers. What you gain is an intensity in the driving experience that is simply not there in Porsche, whether it's exhaust note, steering feel, gearing...all of the above I guess. But, and back to the original point, if circumstances were different, I'd still be driving Porsches, loving them, but not really knowing what I'm missing.

Gary

Quote:
    Gary(SF) said:
    Quote:
    DavidSF said:
    Quote:
    Porky Tokyo said:

David

I don't know...I think rather than "Porsche guys" and "Ferrari guys", we're all car guys and circumstances, to a large degree, dictate what we choose to buy and drive. I owned Porsches all my life until just a few years ago when I had an opportunity to buy a new 360 Modena at MSRP. I wasn't about to pass it up, because frankly, for all the talk of sirloin and rib eye, it's cheaper - way cheaper - to drive Ferraris than Porsches if you can buy Ferraris at MSRP. And I must say, it is the best thing that ever happened to me in the car world. The only thing you give up when you own a Ferrari instead of a Porsche, really, is the daily driver quotient, which to me is not that important, since I own these cars for secluded-road drives and track days, not as daily drivers. What you gain is an intensity in the driving experience that is simply not there in Porsche, whether it's exhaust note, steering feel, gearing...all of the above I guess. But, and back to the original point, if circumstances were different, I'd still be driving Porsches, loving them, but not really knowing what I'm missing.

Gary

Hmmmm...well, unless you've driven the Carrera GT and 997 Turbo, you might not know what you're missing.

David

daily driver

Quote:
    nberry said:it is a perfectly good daily driver.

well i know you don't agree with this at all!
    can you believe they said it would make a perfectly good daily driver nick?
    how silly!

jeff

Quote:
    DavidSF said:
    Hmmmm...well, unless you've driven the Carrera GT and 997 Turbo, you might not know what you're missing.

David

I'd take the CGT even without a test! Based on what I know about Porsche, and I've owned Turbos, the 997TT tempts not at all. Between my experience, comments on the boards, and road tests, I know all I need to know about it.

Gary

I have driven the Cgt extensively and while I will acknowledge its performance is far above the 430, it is not as much fun to drive. Like CAR muagazine a notoriously pro=Porsche magazine recently commented on the CGT "it is hard to drive well".

Regarding the 997TT, I cannot comment but I believe the world press has pretty much outline its deficiencies. No doubt a terrific car but BORING to drive. It is what it is.

Nick, I must admit that your 430 is a masterpiece!

Quote:
    Blk987S said:
    Nick, I must admit that your 430 is a masterpiece!

Did you enjoy driving it?

Quote:
    nberry said:
    I have driven the Cgt extensively and while I will acknowledge its performance is far above the 430, it is not as much fun to drive. Like CAR muagazine a notoriously pro=Porsche magazine recently commented on the CGT "it is hard to drive well".

Regarding the 997TT, I cannot comment but I believe the world press has pretty much outline its deficiencies. No doubt a terrific car but BORING to drive. It is what it is.

I wouldn't call the 997tt boring, this car is just as near as you can get to the perfect sports car nowadays. And that exactly is what Porsche wanted to achieve. Nothing more, nothing less. For many people and I guess for most of the 997tt customers this more than enough and exactly what they were searching for.

This said, we also have to admit, that Ferrari succeeded in creating one of the greatest mid-engined sports cars ever made, by developing the F430 out of the (relatively) disappointing 360 Modena. The F430 surely is as much (if not more) a masterpiece, as Porsche claims for their new Turbo. And if Ferrari continues on its way and will introduce all these goodies now seen at the 599 in the 430 successor, combined with an all new, even more exciting shape than the F430 - which is basically "only" a beefed up version of the original 360 design in that respect - I can't wait for 2009.

Quote:
    Rossi said:
    Ferrari succeeded in creating one of the greatest mid-engined sports cars ever made, by developing the F430 out of the (relatively) disappointing 360 Modena. The F430 surely is as much (if not more) a masterpiece, as Porsche claims for their new Turbo. And if Ferrari continues on its way and will introduce all these goodies now seen at the 599 in the 430 successor, combined with an all new, even more exciting shape than the F430 - which is basically "only" a beefed up version of the original 360 design in that respect - I can't wait for 2009.

I can't agree with your 360 assessment. Until I bought the 430, the 360 was, by a large margin, the best, most entertaining, most satisfying car I ever owned, and I have owned perhaps a dozen Porsches. I would still pick it over any Porsche except the CGT. Absolutely nothing disappointing about that car at all.

Gary

Quote:
    Gary(SF) said:
    Quote:
    Rossi said:
    Ferrari succeeded in creating one of the greatest mid-engined sports cars ever made, by developing the F430 out of the (relatively) disappointing 360 Modena. The F430 surely is as much (if not more) a masterpiece, as Porsche claims for their new Turbo. And if Ferrari continues on its way and will introduce all these goodies now seen at the 599 in the 430 successor, combined with an all new, even more exciting shape than the F430 - which is basically "only" a beefed up version of the original 360 design in that respect - I can't wait for 2009.

I can't agree with your 360 assessment. Until I bought the 430, the 360 was, by a large margin, the best, most entertaining, most satisfying car I ever owned, and I have owned perhaps a dozen Porsches. I would still pick it over any Porsche except the CGT. Absolutely nothing disappointing about that car at all.

Gary

There's always something better isn't there? It's true, there are people out there that consider the F360 a boring car.

David

P.s. what about the 997GT3 or GT3RS?

Quote:
    DavidSF said:
    Quote:
    Gary(SF) said:
    Quote:
    Rossi said:

Gary

There's always something better isn't there? It's true, there are people out there that consider the F360 a boring car.

David

I didn't say the 360 is boring, I said it is disappointing. And this only, if you compare it to its predecessor, the F355.

The 355 had it all: looks, sound, speed etc. For me the 355 is one of the greatest designs of a modern Ferrari. Compared to it the 360 looks relatively bland. Also the sound of the 355's stock exhaust is marvelous, the 360 is a major let down in this respect (for me the reason, why the 430 sounds so fabulous). And if you compare the data for acceleration and top speed you won't find much difference between the 355 and the 360.
    Of course the latter is the more modern car by far, chassis stability is worlds apart, but to me the 355 had more soul. That's why I said I find the 360 relatively disappointing. Relatively means, if you compare it to the 355, if you don't the 360 surely is a nice car.

My 06 430 6 speed coupe is my 4th Ferrari, My 06 997S Cab is my 39th Porsche. I love them both, yes they are different, but I happen to be one of those who believe that coupes are drivers cars, convertables are cruising cars. Cars are my passion and my vice, and I am neither a Porsche guy or a Ferrari guy, I am a car guy. I will say this much though, for pure driver feedback, Ferrari is tough to beat.

OneCarrut - thats a lot of Porsches! Any faves? How many did you own at any one time?

Just a thought... is that you Jerry??

Quote:
    OneCarrut said:
    My 06 430 6 speed coupe is my 4th Ferrari, My 06 997S Cab is my 39th Porsche. I love them both, yes they are different, but I happen to be one of those who believe that coupes are drivers cars, convertables are cruising cars. Cars are my passion and my vice, and I am neither a Porsche guy or a Ferrari guy, I am a car guy. I will say this much though, for pure driver feedback, Ferrari is tough to beat.

Very well said!

Absolutely agree with you about the coupés!

Quote:
    OneCarrut said:

Well you got almost everything right. Convertibles provide the excitement of everyday driving that coupes lack unless you are on a track. Keep in mind, the CGT the ultimate performance Porsche, is a convertible.

BTW, the 997 GT3 and RS are based on everything I have read, apparently are exciting track cars to drive.

Quote:
    nberry said:
    Quote:
    OneCarrut said:

Well you got almost everything right. Convertibles provide the excitement of everyday driving that coupes lack unless you are on a track. Keep in mind, the CGT the ultimate performance Porsche, is a convertible.

BTW, the 997 GT3 and RS are based on everything I have read, apparently are exciting track cars to drive.

The CGT is a Barchetta with a possibility to add a roof.
    It was initially designed as an open cockpit car with maximum rigidity, as opposed to a 430 Spyder or a 997 cab which are based on their coupe equivalent, have had the roof chopped off and enforcement added in the weak points.

I usually own any where from 5 to 11 cars at a time (not all of them being either Ferraris or Porsches) I drive my cars hard and often to either their or my limits. As with every forum I am on, my opinion, your opinion are merely opinions. I remember a white 79 Targa that I really liked was stolen years ago, licence plate said toot (was a partier those days), still miss that car. Hey I like convertables too, my 360 spider was fun, but my 460 coupe was a better driving car. Like I said just my opinion.

Sorry terrible typing skills, meant 360 coupe

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    776814 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    441560 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    262698 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    260842 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    85113 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5519 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

880555 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    815709 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM