Crown

Board: Porsche - Carrera GT / 918 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: 918 latest news Thread Closed

Gnil:

Did someone at the customs try to beat our G 's contest  ?  ..... he got close indecision angry

Smiley

--

2015 981 Cayman GT4 | Powerkit White - The fastest car on Rennteam
    2013 Audi S3 | Glacier White

Gnil:

Did someone at the customs try to beat our G 's contest  ?  ..... he got close indecision angry

Smiley

Nah, not even in the top 10 here I think

--

0.91g of forward acceleration means somebody was "having a gas" angel

--

Mike

918 Spyder + 991 GT3 RS +Tesla Roadster 1.5 & Model S + Panamera Turbo +  BMW Z8 + BMW 3.0 CSi + Bentley Arnage T

What's the big deal?yes

--

"A man wrapped up in himself makes for a very small bundle."

nberry:

What's the big deal?yes

Would you want some port employee hot-rodding your new GT3?  I know I wouldn't - especially with manual gearbox.  Sounds like no damage done, but just not pleasant.  When I went to pick up my GT4 at a local dealer, the car was gone being hot-rodded by one of the salesmen - left a sour taste in my mouth...

You never know whether they have let the oil get hot before revving it, were careful with shifting, etc.  Just shouldn't happen...

--

73 Carrera RS 2.7 Carbon Fiber replica (1,890 lbs), 06 EVO9 with track mods. Former: 16 Cayman GT4, 73 911S, Two 951S's, 996 C2, 993 C2, 98 Ferrari 550, 79 635CSi

New tyres for new Record ?   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d3LXbLSlvj8

When I was younger I had a friend training/working at a very big VW/Audi/Porsche garage . He was boasting about the the ' races ' they were doing in the underground parking .

There is probably much more going on they we can even imagine  

--

964 Carrera 4 --  997.2 C2S , -20mm --  991 GT3 RS 

Gnil:

When I was younger I had a friend training/working at a very big VW/Audi/Porsche garage . He was boasting about the the ' races ' they were doing in the underground parking .

When I was 16 I worked at VAG import during my Holidays, we had to move the cars from the train and park it on a huge parking lot. It was fun obviously, but it's absurd the way in which these cars were driven. The regular workers even held contests to attain highest speed while on the train. You can imagine quite a few crashed...  Smiley

--

1992 Mercedes-Benz W124 500E / 2003 BMW M3 CSL (sold) / 2008 Porsche 911 GT3 RS / 2014 BMW-Alpina D3 biturbo Touring / 2014 BMW-Alpina B3 biturbo Touring Allrad

Porker:
    Gnil:

When I was 16 I worked at VAG import during my Holidays, we had to move the cars from the train and park it on a huge parking lot. It was fun obviously, but it's absurd the way in which these cars were driven. The regular workers even held contests to attain highest speed while on the train. You can imagine quite a few crashed...  Smiley

That's funny. I worked at D'ieteren at 18 during my holidays. I had to replace the guy who was moving all the Porches  from the dealer in Drogenbos (Bxl) to D'ieteren (rue du mail) and vice versa. 

Drogenbos did not have a body shop at the time. So all cars had to be driven by employees to D'ieteren. I drove everything from boxsters to 911, including GT3s and turbo's. We are talking customers cars for a 20km fun tour around brussels. At the time, it was the 987 and 997 series. I even drove classics, like an G series 911 turbo.

Needless to say cars were driven hard and to this day I still do not understand how it was possible. If you buy a Porsche, just don't go to Drogenbos. Smiley I

Il also drove tons of VWs, Audis and Seats. Some were brand new, with 5km on the clock. The plastics & bumper protections were still on the cars. Drove them through Brussel to car dealers. The cars were instantly displayed in showrooms and sold as new cars with then...  18 kms on the clock. Smiley 

Grant:
    nberry:

What's the big deal?yes

Would you want some port employee hot-rodding your new GT3?  I know I wouldn't - especially with manual gearbox.  Sounds like no damage done, but just not pleasant.  When I went to pick up my GT4 at a local dealer, the car was gone being hot-rodded by one of the salesmen - left a sour taste in my mouth...

You never know whether they have let the oil get hot before revving it, were careful with shifting, etc.  Just shouldn't happen...

Grant, of course I would not want any of my cars driven without my permission. Nick's R is apparently fine so why get bent out of shape over it? What's done is done. Report your concerns to Porsche and move on.

--

I know of at least 2 M5s that have been written off by mechanics on 'road tests', and several cars that have been stuffed into poles in the indoor storage facility among other things. It happens a lot more than you would imagine.

Any idea as to why there is currently a factory 918 setting hot laps around the Nordschleife?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F2uAd33rRaU

--

1992 Mercedes-Benz W124 500E / 2003 BMW M3 CSL (sold) / 2008 Porsche 911 GT3 RS / 2014 BMW-Alpina D3 biturbo Touring / 2014 BMW-Alpina B3 biturbo Touring Allrad

Porker:

Any idea as to why there is currently a factory 918 setting hot laps around the Nordschleife?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F2uAd33rRaU

Maybe looking to set an updated lap for the 918 using a new 2017-spec tyre compound? Smiley

Porsche might be keen to ensure it is faster than the 991 GT2 RS lap time...

Testing the flux capacitor so time travel can be enabled on the 918.

--

I think they need to lower the 918's lap time to make more room for the GT2RS's time to fit in between the 918 and 7 minutes kiss

--

73 Carrera RS 2.7 Carbon Fiber replica (1,890 lbs), 06 EVO9 with track mods. Former: 16 Cayman GT4, 73 911S, Two 951S's, 996 C2, 993 C2, 98 Ferrari 550, 79 635CSi

I think they are testing the next GT4.

--

2015 981 Cayman GT4 | Powerkit White - The fastest car on Rennteam
    2013 Audi S3 | Glacier White

I assume they're testing new tires.  It was always kind of frustrating to read or watch reviews that say the P1 is faster, but it's got Trofeo Rs on.  Hopefully Michelin has something for the 918 to compete with the Trofeos.

All the new tires are better than the Trofeo Rs from a couple years ago. Even the new Corsas are better than the old Trofeos, so it shouldn't be a problem finding some new tires that are superior.

Another one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d3LXbLSlvj8

Looks quite fast...maybe they will offer a upgrade-package for 918 Owners - new Battery and Tires...

A Weissach-Evo-Package, like in the 993 GT2-Times.

Blueflame

noone1:

All the new tires are better than the Trofeo Rs from a couple years ago. Even the new Corsas are better than the old Trofeos, so it shouldn't be a problem finding some new tires that are superior.

Tires are making a huge performance jump right now...this is going to be interesting. Smiley

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Carrera 4 GTS Cabriolet (2015), Porsche Cayenne S Diesel (2017), Audi R8 V10 Plus (2016), Mini JCW (2015)

Whoopsy:

Testing the flux capacitor so time travel can be enabled on the 918.

Nick, how's the work on your track's going? What's the overall length of it? Any new pics? 

--

The track is 4.85km long, over the winter we started to grow some grass to cut down on the dust, but this winter was especially wet, as in wettest in 50 years, so there were a lot of water run off onto the track and the drainage wasn't able to handle them, so days we have to cancel the morning sessions to clean up the track. The grass was also affected as they died from too much water. We have re-seeded and they are growing again, but the track is not quite green yet. 

The rain also affected the rubbering of the track, so the surface is still a bit green also laugh

I am heading back on Wednesday for a ew days of tracking, one of those will be a Porsche Canada track day. And I am taking the 911R Smiley well that for a ew laps but the primary car will be my Clubsport.

As for the 918, it is currently in pieces, again.Smiley

I had some faults in the ECU about the rear e-machine, my foreman had partially disassemble the car to prepare for a replacement from Porsche just in case.

--

Whoopsy:

The track is 4.85km long, over the winter we started to grow some grass to cut down on the dust, but this winter was especially wet, as in wettest in 50 years, so there were a lot of water run off onto the track and the drainage wasn't able to handle them, so days we have to cancel the morning sessions to clean up the track. The grass was also affected as they died from too much water. We have re-seeded and they are growing again, but the track is not quite green yet. 

The rain also affected the rubbering of the track, so the surface is still a bit green also laugh

I am heading back on Wednesday for a ew days of tracking, one of those will be a Porsche Canada track day. And I am taking the 911R Smiley well that for a ew laps but the primary car will be my Clubsport.

As for the 918, it is currently in pieces, again.Smiley

I had some faults in the ECU about the rear e-machine, my foreman had partially disassemble the car to prepare for a replacement from Porsche just in case.

--

Sad news regarding the track and....the 918 :(  I looked back for some pics of track in the thread, but unsuccessfuly. Thats the Rivers Edge?

--

No its not by a river, but on the side of a mountain slope and the run offs was from the mountain, and our own slopes.

As the dirt wasn't grabbed by the grass yet, they have a tendency to get washed down hill. 

--

Are the costs shared by the members of the track?

BTW, why would they locate a track on a side of a mountain slope? Aren't the conditions encountered easily foreseeable?

--

nberry:

BTW, why would they locate a track on a side of a mountain slope? Aren't the conditions encountered easily foreseeable?

Cost is part of the track maintenance fee we all paid.

The area is a desert, because of global cooling there is abnormal amount of snow accumulated in the area, heck that are hasn't snowed in 30 years and this year our track was covered in 6 inches of snow, that combined with rain amount that hasn't been seen in the area in more than 50 years causes the unforeseeable runoffs which the built in drainage can't cope with. 

No one can predict that, especially when everyone is singing global warming and that are should get even less rain and remain hot for longer periods of the year. 

--

Whoopsy:
    nberry:

The area is a desert, because of global cooling there is abnormal amount of snow accumulated in the area, heck that are hasn't snowed in 30 years and this year our track was covered in 6 inches of snow, that combined with rain amount that hasn't been seen in the area in more than 50 years causes the unforeseeable runoffs which the built in drainage can't cope with. 

No one can predict that, especially when everyone is singing global warming and that are should get even less rain and remain hot for longer periods of the year. 

When you're planning to finish the construction? Can you post a track map? 

--

Whoopsy:
    nberry:

You mean global warming, right? Smiley  Smiley

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Carrera 4 GTS Cabriolet (2015), Porsche Cayenne S Diesel (2017), Audi R8 V10 Plus (2016), Mini JCW (2015)

RC:
    Whoopsy:
    nberry:

You mean global warming, right? Smiley  Smiley

i almost thought I slept a bit tooooo long Smiley

--
    Speed has never killed anyone, suddenly becoming stationary... That's what gets you.

SportCarGroup:

When you're planning to finish the construction? Can you post a track map? 

home-footer-track.jpg

Runs counter clockwise, bottom left is turn 1, 16 turns total and 4.85km long. The longest straight is 800m long, I saw 270km/hr on it. The Clubsport will do around 220-ish for comparison.

Phase 1 aka the track itself is complete, clubhouse and garage storage is phase 2 which will be commencing.

We have the option of running a short track with the turn off half down the long straight, which is actually useful as the heaviest dirt run off from the rain is at turn 6, the sweeping right-hander at the top of the pic.

--

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    689325 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    409088 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255697 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    234946 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65500 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4644 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

857898 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    773904 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM