Crown

Board: Porsche - Carrera GT / 918 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: 918 latest news Thread Closed

Looks like a tow hook mount... It is located there... I like the Carbonio solutions better.

Whoopsy:

IMG_3548.JPG

Here is the first pic of the 2 #713 together.

Yeah it's at my dealership, the 911R returned to get prep or a car rally Saturday while the 918 went back to get some trouble shooting on engine fault codes. My Turbo 3.6 is also there, waiting on parts from Porsche Classic. mail

Just as quickly, I have 3 spots opened in the garage at home, if temporarily. smiley

SmileySmileySmiley

LOL I never did understand why they put the tow hook opening off to the side instead of in the center. That's why his license plate is off to the side as you know...its license plate bracket goes in the tow hook. I have the same thing but it's so ugly I left it off...the cops haven't bothered me yet. *knock on wood* I hear they're much more strict about it North of me. 

Gnil:

Is that also a Canadian thing, to have the front licence plate put to the side.. Here all the young guys are doing that to their BMW, Subaru or VW Golf smiley    It does look good ! kiss

it is only for those who do not want to drill their bumpers, and usually seen in high end cars.

99.99% of Canadian cars and SUVs have front middle licence plate.

BTW, at my GTS CC delivery party, Whoopsy thought I was crazy to ask the technician to drill my front bumper.  I think I told him I did not plan on selling it so it did not matter, but he just kept laughing at me...Smiley

--

Tim

2010 997.2 GT3RS;  2008 Cayenne Turbo;  2006 911 Club Coupe;  2016 911 GTS Club Coupe;  2015 Macan S

Targa Tim:
    it is only for those who do not want to drill their bumpers, and usually seen in high end cars.

BTW, at my GTS CC delivery party, Whoopsy thought I was crazy to ask the technician to drill my front bumper.  I think I told him I did not plan on selling it so it did not matter, but he just kept laughing at me...Smiley

Here it is a fashion thing amongst younger drivers who are into cars / tuned cars . Since a year or two, they fix them way to the side of the front bumper . but it has nothing to do with using the the tow hook space . 

On my 997 I managed to put the licence late underneath the front bumper . Also no hole Smiley But on the RS , I have two perfectly drilled holes Smiley

--

964 Carrera 4 --  997.2 C2S , -20mm --  991 GT3 RS 

Targa Tim:
    Gnil:

Is that also a Canadian thing, to have the front licence plate put to the side.. Here all the young guys are doing that to their BMW, Subaru or VW Golf smiley    It does look good ! kiss

And I am still laughing, FYI Smiley

Some cars I do drill the front bumper, some cars I don't. 

--

Well this one I don't for sure!

IMG_3555.JPGIMG_3556.JPG

--

Here is another interesting tidbit:

IMG_3523.JPG

The read out on the G meter in the 911R.

I zero that out before I ship the car. Now I don't believe Porsche people would do that, they have seen plenty of 911Rs that go through. So that leaves only one possibility. My car was stuck in Canadian Customs aka the Black Hole for a week.

I am guessing that 11km extra was mostly from them test driving the car!

--

Unbelievable!! mail

--

⇒ Carlos - Porsche 991 Carrera GTS

What's the penalty for not having a front plate? Can you just pay the tickets indefinitely or will they seize your car or something eventually?

$110 fine where I am.

If I were shipping a car, I'd attach a note to windscreen that says you know what the mileage on the car is and that discrepancies will be reported. I'd also stick a gopro or something in there on time lapse.

well, Nick can move to saskatchewan for avoiding front plate...angry

Why not moving to Montreal?

wantone:

Why not moving to Montreal?

Too many potholes.

noone1:

If I were shipping a car, I'd attach a note to windscreen that says you know what the mileage on the car is and that discrepancies will be reported. I'd also stick a gopro or something in there on time lapse.

I wonder if there is a log in the navigation system of those miles?  

JoeRockhead:
    wantone:

Too many potholes.

besides too much police

dont forget about all the french canadians too

yea, but didn't want to go there

noone1:

What's the penalty for not having a front plate? Can you just pay the tickets indefinitely or will they seize your car or something eventually?

Think it was $109 where I lived. 

But the cops have 2 options, either write a formal ticket, or write a inspection notice. The later means I had to show up at a police station with the plated mounted. I never gotten a inspection notice, every time I get stopped for no plates I turned combative to cause the cop to write me a ticket instead of being kind and issue just a 'freebie' inspection notice. $109 is cheaper than my time cost to get a plate mounted and find time to go to a police station. I budgeted $1000 a year for that purpose anyway. 

The 918 can get away with it, most cops knows it a special car. But for my other cars, they stopped them at times, be it the 911R or a GT3RS or whatever. 

--

noone1:

Can't do that.

Before I shipped the car I had to remove all personal items, and everything else not declared by Porsche on the manifest. A undeclared GoPro mounted inside the car can be considered a smuggled item and a risk of getting the car confiscated and the Customs has the right to tear the car down to bits and screws to 'find' other hidden items. 

--

There was no valid reason for running a front plate anyway.

The only reason for one is for photo cameras to capture the plate AND the driver face at the same time, like those on the German Autobahn. 2nd reason being the root plate is a nice juicy reflective target for police laser. Basically, a front plate is the cash cow of the government. 

My province did a petition to stop using front plate. Here is the official response:

“While the single plate concept has been considered in the past, it’s been determined that a two plate model is the best choice for British Columbia due to a number of benefits,” she says. “These include benefits to road safety, law enforcement, stolen vehicle recovery, insurance claims investigations, tolling authorities, Amber alert partners, municipalities, parking lot companies and the trucking industry.”

Every single reason are there for monetary gain. Road safety means speed camera and lasers, law enforcement means the same thing. Dito for tolling. 

For parking lot companies, it saved their employees the extra effort to walk around a car to check plate number. 

As for the trucking industry, that beats me on why they want front plates.

--

Maybe next time just pull a fuse or something to put it into limp mode.

Are you seriously saying that Canadian customs put 11km on the car incl some fairly aggressive accelerating ad braking manoeuvres. I find that quite inappropriate even scandalous to be honest. To hit 0.9g of acceleration how hard do you have to rev the car? Over the break-in recommendations? Was the car warm? Hmmmm

996FourEss:

Are you seriously saying that Canadian customs put 11km on the car incl some fairly aggressive accelerating ad braking manoeuvres. I find that quite inappropriate even scandalous to be honest. To hit 0.9g of acceleration how hard do you have to rev the car? Over the break-in recommendations? Was the car warm? Hmmmm

I think it is more within Zuffenhausen and on the yards of the various transporters. 

Whoopsy:

IMG_3521.JPG

Excellent Smiley

--

73 Carrera RS 2.7 Carbon Fiber replica (1,890 lbs), 06 EVO9 with track mods. Former: 16 Cayman GT4, 73 911S, Two 951S's, 996 C2, 993 C2, 98 Ferrari 550, 79 635CSi

Whoopsy:

Here is another interesting tidbit:

IMG_3523.JPG

The read out on the G meter in the 911R.

I zero that out before I ship the car. Now I don't believe Porsche people would do that, they have seen plenty of 911Rs that go through. So that leaves only one possibility. My car was stuck in Canadian Customs aka the Black Hole for a week.

I am guessing that 11km extra was mostly from them test driving the car!

No need to worry -- apparently those G values reflect the high speed car ferry on the way from Europe to Canada...

...with two Boeing 747 engines and 59,000 horsepower! Smiley

Smiley

996FourEss:

As ar as I know here is my car's journey from Germany back to Vancouver.

I dropped the car off at Zuffenhausen, actually at the dealership in the morning of March 3rd, it stayed there waiting to be shipped out. That afternoon it got loaded onto a transport to be transferred back to Leipzig where they put my summer tires and wheel set back on. That part of the transportation was organized by 918 Spyder Circle, completely trustworthy. On then off transport, maximum of 100m driven?

At Leipzig, perhaps they will have to move it around, it's a big yard after all. Say give it 2km driven if that. There it got loaded onto a train or perhaps another transport to get to the port to get on a boat. Say another 1km driven on the port and onto the boat. 

The ship leaves Germany and arrived at Halifax port. Gets unloaded and head to customs. Lets be generous, 2 km driven from the ship to the customs building.

Customs (black hole) unknown.

The car got transported from Halifax to Toronto Porsche HQ, where they sorted out all the arriving cars for shipping to various dealers and gets loaded onto transport accordingly. Here these are Porsche Canada personal the handles the sorting, who knows whom the car is for, and this is the last 911R to arrive so there was plenty of them that came through before. Let's give it another 1 km.

The transport leaves Toronto and got to Vancouver, gets unloaded at the dealership and driven into the lot, 50m. 

Only about 6km is accounted for. So the black hole sucked up 5km right there.

My car was delivered to me at Leipzig with 27km on the clock. So all the testing and shake down runs had been done, there was no need for Porsche to test drive it anymore. They didn't clear the g-meter from testing, but wasn't THAT aggressive, only about 0.7g all around. I cleared that before I headed off for my road trip. My friend and I put on just over 2200km, basically broken in the car, as it was brand new we took it easy and pretty much replicated Porsche's numbers, 0.7g all around.

--

Did someone at the customs try to beat our G 's contest  ?  ..... he got close indecision angry

--

964 Carrera 4 --  997.2 C2S , -20mm --  991 GT3 RS 

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/11/24 6:53 AM
    GnilM
    752940 1796
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    430621 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    258551 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    255434 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    79499 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5256 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

868216 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    801750 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM