Crown

Board: Other Sports Cars Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: 2018 Challenger Hellcat 'Demon'

I havent even seen my Ferrari and Aston dealers in years. They come pick up the car, service it and drop it back. Not sure why the dealer experience would interfere with the quality of the car.

SciFrog:

I havent even seen my Ferrari and Aston dealers in years. They come pick up the car, service it and drop it back. Not sure why the dealer experience would interfere with the quality of the car.

Would never do that. I need to know my mechanic, at my Porsche dealership I actually know every single one by name. I expect quality work and dedication and I need to know that the car is in good hands. Does it really help to improve quality and safety? I don't have a clue but I want to believe it does. Also, if I get the feeling that a mechanic isn't up to his job, I choose a different one (seriously) or switch the dealership.

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Carrera 4 GTS Cabriolet (2015), Porsche Cayenne S Diesel (2017), Audi R8 V10 Plus (2016), Mini JCW (2015)

GTS starts at 126k EUR in Germany...

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Carrera 4 GTS Cabriolet (2015), Porsche Cayenne S Diesel (2017), Audi R8 V10 Plus (2016), Mini JCW (2015)

RC:
    SciFrog:

Would never do that. I need to know my mechanic, at my Porsche dealership I actually know every single one by name. I expect quality work and dedication and I need to know that the car is in good hands. Does it really help to improve quality and safety? I don't have a clue but I want to believe it does. Also, if I get the feeling that a mechanic isn't up to his job, I choose a different one (seriously) or switch the dealership.

I don't get this...Who cares if you know your mechanic? Like he can't make mistakes because you know him by name?

--

997.2 4S / BMW X5 40e / Donkervoort GT 

I'd work on my cars myself if I had the tools, computers manuals, and a proper lift. All these cars come with instructions on how to remove literally every single things. Working on modern cars really isn't that hard. So long as they can read, have access to the tools, a bit of training/experience, it's highly unlikely anything will go wrong.

that Trackhawk leaves me cold...its 707 unusable horses....

--
    Speed has never killed anyone, suddenly becoming stationary... That's what gets you.

spudgun:
    RC:
    SciFrog:

I don't get this... Who cares if you know your mechanic? Like he can't make mistakes because you know him by name?

+1

--

2015 981 Cayman GT4 | Powerkit White - The fastest car on Rennteam
    2013 Audi S3 | Glacier White

bluelines:
    spudgun:
    RC:
    SciFrog:

I don't get this... Who cares if you know your mechanic? Like he can't make mistakes because you know him by name?

+1

I do get it. (Even though I don't have a special car); for me, I like the personal approach, especially for a car, which to me is more than a means of transportation. I need to feel at home in my car, and one way to reach that feeling is to trust the people who work on it. And for me the way to gain trust is to know them. Even if it is just a quick chat every time you are at the dealership. I believe that personal relations go a long way. For other people this may not be important, but to me it is.

--

Porsche, separates Le Mans from Le Boys

So you visit a factory to meet all the employees that build your car before you buy a car? 

I get the 'personal relation' take, but that applies on the salesman: having a good relationship makes the proces so much easier and maybe you can can hassle a better deal that way.

But the guys who work on the car behind closed doors? Why would that be important? It's just a car, a product that gets worked on by skilled people. I don't see the need to know them personally to feel confident driving on the road. yes

--

Sorry, guys. Saw too much incompetence and crap happening from mechanics over the past decades, so knowing my mechanic(s) and how the repair shop is "working" is very important to me. You can smell incompetence pretty fast if you meet with people. The more they talk and explain, especially when half of it is feeding you BS, you know who you are dealing with. Don't you care about the doctor you go to? yes

--

Doctor? Jeez, I'm a petrolhead too but we are talking about cars here. At the end of the day they are all just mass produced chunks of steel, aluminium and some carbon... 

--

I would be surprised if the workshop here let you in...but in reality I do not care. If they could come and pick up my car at the office, it would be much easier. Now I have to drop it of and take a taxi.

The cars are under warranty most of the time and none are keepers, so who cares? It's free service and if they fuck up, they take it back and fix it again and then it gets sold at the end of the warranty.

It's just a car...

noone1:

The cars are under warranty most of the time and none are keepers, so who cares? It's free service and if they fuck up, they take it back and fix it again and then it gets sold at the end of the warranty.

It's just a car...

??? Think it through. Some fuck ups can cause you & your family to have an accident. Not meh this time....

--

⇒ Carlos - Porsche 991 Carrera GTS

You guys are ridiculous. How do you sleep at night worrying that every single person in the world is going to horrifically fail at their job and end up with catastrophic consequences?

If you're so worried about the average dealer mechanic fucking up your car, you might as well be afraid that the average doctor is going to hurt you, the average account will fuck up your taxes, the average electrician will set your house on fire...

I'm just as worried about RC fucking up at his job as I am the local mechanic. 

noone1:

You guys are ridiculous

I have nothing to explain to people who are so judgmental. The mere fact that you don't understand has nothing to do with me, but with your inabilities.

--

Porsche, separates Le Mans from Le Boys

noone1:

You guys are ridiculous. How do you sleep at night worrying that every single person in the world is going to horrifically fail at their job and end up with catastrophic consequences?

If you're so worried about the average dealer mechanic fucking up your car, you might as well be afraid that the average doctor is going to hurt you, the average account will fuck up your taxes, the average electrician will set your house on fire...

Don't get your panties all in a bunch there... You said that a fuck up by a mechanic is no problem, it's just a car, I just pointed out your obvious short-sightedness in that statement, is not your compliments and photos attracting car and if it's in warranty that you should be thinking of... a mechanical failure could be the cause of a serious accident, a center lock coming off in the Autobahn or leaving a rag in the engine bay catching fire with your family inside is considered a big deal to some people Smiley

--

⇒ Carlos - Porsche 991 Carrera GTS

The risk is negligible in reality. You have a better chance of getting into an accident because of driver error on your part or someone else's than you do of a mechanic creating a significant problem with the safety of the car.

The average franchise dealer, especially high-end, is not going to screw up the safety of your car. Independent shops won't either. It'll happen simply due the sheer number of cars on the road, but hey, someone beats the odds and wins the lotto every day too.

noone1:

The risk is negligible in reality. You have a better chance of getting into an accident because of driver error on your part or someone else's than you do of a mechanic creating a significant problem with the safety of the car.

The average franchise dealer, especially high-end, is not going to screw up the safety of your car. Independent shops won't either. It'll happen simply due the sheer number of cars on the road, but hey, someone beats the odds and wins the lotto every day too.

Humans are not impartial by nature, they will have favourites.

I would rather be the one that the mechanic favoured and will paid extra attention to my cars vs some other faceless run off the mill customers. 

Say your car is in the shop for service, and I happened to walk in too, they might pull your car off the hoist and do my car first and get me out sooner. How's that?

Call it nudging the odds in my favour.

I buy donuts and such every now and then to all the mechanics at the Porsche dealership, they all loved me Smiley

--

I would do it too, but you need time on your hands to do so for very marginal better service in the end.

Being friendly and giving out donuts isn't the point here: it's only letting your car get a service when you know the mechanic personally. I could understand this for ultra rare exotics, but for regular 911, R8 etc? That's just crazy. 

--

spudgun:

Doctor? Jeez, I'm a petrolhead too but we are talking about cars here. At the end of the day they are all just mass produced chunks of steel, aluminium and some carbon... 

Chunk of steel which does over 300 kph and you entrust your life and health in it. Smiley

This is not about petting the car or giving it a nice sweet name but about performance, reliability and foremost...safety.

--

Whoopsy:
    noone1:

Humans are not impartial by nature, they will have favourites.

I would rather be the one that the mechanic favoured and will paid extra attention to my cars vs some other faceless run off the mill customers. 

Say your car is in the shop for service, and I happened to walk in too, they might pull your car off the hoist and do my car first and get me out sooner. How's that?

Call it nudging the odds in my favour.

I buy donuts and such every now and then to all the mechanics at the Porsche dealership, they all loved me Smiley

--

This is of course a good example of another reason...and yes, a good relationship to the mechanics gives you certain advantages and they definitely care more about your car than others. Smiley Smiley

--

Yea, we're not talking about a multi-million dollar car here. Dealers have their training, what more can you ask for? As if being a friend or on good terms ever stopped someone from fucking something up on accident. Shit happens, people make mistakes.

noone1:

Yea, we're not talking about a multi-million dollar car here. Dealers have their training, what more can you ask for? As if being a friend or on good terms ever stopped someone from fucking something up on accident. Shit happens, people make mistakes.

They make less mistakes if they care about you (or your car) and if you "pick" them. Of course they don't do it solely for my beautiful eyes or (only) out of sympathy but thats a different story.

--

What guarantees the mechanic does the job on the car?

SciFrog:

Trust, experience and a good relationship. I just know. Smiley I also know bad work and this was one reason I left my original Ford (official dealer!) dealer after I bought my GT500 and went with an independent shop instead (my first!). Never regretted it, that guy was amazing. I realized it from the day i shook his hand and talked with him about cars. Everything he did to my GT500 was perfect and top notch.

--

RC:
    SciFrog:

Trust, experience and a good relationship. I just know. Smiley I also know bad work and this was one reason I left my original Ford (official dealer!) dealer after I bought my GT500 and went with an independent shop instead (my first!). Never regretted it, that guy was amazing. I realized it from the day i shook his hand and talked with him about cars. Everything he did to my GT500 was perfect and top notch.

Sure. If you have a car they want to work on, then the mechanic would be interested and probably take more pride in his/her work. If you're driving just another average commuter car, you'd be more likely to get the same treatment as anyone else. The guy who's been trained to work on an 918 has probably earned that opportunity, and no doubt knows what they are doing while the guy doing the routine maintenance on the Cayenne is probably the low man on the totem pole, so to speak.

RC:
    spudgun:

Chunk of steel which does over 300 kph and you entrust your life and health in it. Smiley

This is not about petting the car or giving it a nice sweet name but about performance, reliability and foremost...safety.

So, by that logic, buying a new car probably is a very time consuming proces for you?

Meeting the designers, befriending all of the employees, traveling around the world, visiting all the factories that supply the components for your car.  Checking all these people their curicculum vitae and work ethic.

Where do you even find the time to drive 300 kph? wink

--

noone1:

well, I certainly am. Im seeing lots of average doctor fucked up their patient,I would say at least 2 per month.BUt as I do all my mechanical things,I just trust myself ( dropping engine, rebuilding tranny....), but if I have no time, I definitely just go to only mechanic I trust. 

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    765175 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    437128 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    261348 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    258159 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    82737 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5331 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

877399 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    809611 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM