Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 - Turbo Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

The scan of test results from the corvette site.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/showthread.php?t=1448846

Re: The scan of test results from the corvette site.

Quote:
    nberry said:

Nick, if I were a mean-minded cynic, I might be inclined to remark on the fact that you planted this post in the 997 Turbo Board to maximize its controversy-rousing effect, instead of the Sports Car Board where it might be considered to belong.

But being the tolerant, understanding person that I am, I realize that it was purely an oversight on your part - undoubtably prompted by your inclination to head for your spiritual home to show other like-minded people examples of the heresy being broadcast in other forums.

Quote:
    fritz said:
    Quote:
    nberry said:

Nick, if I were a mean-minded cynic, I might be inclined to remark on the fact that you planted this post in the 997 Turbo Board to maximize its controversy-rousing effect, instead of the Sports Car Board where it might be considered to belong.

But being the tolerant, understanding person that I am, I realize that it was purely an oversight on your part - undoubtably prompted by your inclination to head for your spiritual home to show other like-minded people examples of the heresy being broadcast in other forums.

Fritz, my dear dear friend, I am a follower and not a leader.

The discussion of the test was posted on this forum. However, I do recognize you are a tolerant person given you drive a Porsche.

BTW, I am now off to Stabuck's in the best sport car in the world.

Quote:
    nberry said:
    I do recognize you are a tolerant person given you drive a Porsche.

Sure I am, I'll even offer one of the kids' seats in the back to stranded Ferrari drivers I see standing at the roadside.
    I'll admit that is not an everyday event, because for some reason F-drivers don't seem to drive their cars every day.

Quote:
    nberry said:BTW, I am now off to Stabuck's in the best sport car in the world.

So you got a local Porsche dealer to lend you demo car?
    Don't buy it, Nick. Just think what that would do to the brand's image.

I don't know why all the Porsche "Homer's" get mad everytime a magazine differs from what they want it to say. It is pretty evident that The Z06 is the best valued sports car and may have the best performance. The 997Turbo is equal or nearly equal to the Z06 in performance and has much better interior and looks but the AWD system that allows it to provide that performance also makes it feel heavy and less connected to the driver. The F430 makes your blood pressure rise just looking at it. It's performance is slightly a little less than the 997TT and Z06. But all three cars performance #'s are more than adequite for street or track.

If you want an everyday do everything car pick the 997TT.
    If you want the best track car at a great price the Z06 is for you.
    If you have extra money to burn and want the most exciting car to look at with similiar performance to the others purchase the F430. Its looks, performance, and interior make it a car that is raw yet refined.

Each car fits very well into the spectrum of what consumers want. Just as the Porsche guy doesn't want a Corvette regardless of the performance #'s. The person who can readily afford a F430 for the going price gets something that the 997TT just doesn't provide. A feeling of RAW performance with refinement and looks that is hard to match.

Quote:
    KeptMan said:

Each car fits very well into the spectrum of what consumers want. Just as the Porsche guy doesn't want a Corvette regardless of the performance #'s. [edited] A feeling of RAW performance with refinement and looks [the TT] that is hard to match.

I gotta add, it's very likely that if the majority of Corvette guys COULD AFFORD to spend their money on a TT they would forget all about the Corvette.

Quote:
    MMD said:
    Quote:
    KeptMan said:

Each car fits very well into the spectrum of what consumers want. Just as the Porsche guy doesn't want a Corvette regardless of the performance #'s. [edited] A feeling of RAW performance with refinement and looks [the TT] that is hard to match.

I gotta add, it's very likely that if the majority of Corvette guys COULD AFFORD to spend their money on a TT they would forget all about the Corvette.

Most Corvette owners that I know, including myself, can afford a TT but would rather, for many reasons, own a Corvette, because most corvette owners that I know (and I know close to 100) just do not like Porsches. Its that simple. And, oh...by the way...I just bought a European car last week. It was built in Italy...and its red!

I don't think that someone's credibility or tastes should be measured by their economic status. That being said, the poor depreciation of corvettes tends to make them not that much more of a bargain than some Porsches. While I have never been much of a C6 fan, I can understnd why many enthusiasts would choose it.

Fiat 850?

fun little car - not as fast as a C6Z but gets good gas mileage

Quote:
    RonnieC6Z said:
    And, oh...by the way...I just bought a European car last week. It was built in Italy...and its red!

Let me guess.....Maserati Coupe?
    Do I get a prize?

Quote:
    Avantgarde said:
    Quote:
    RonnieC6Z said:
    And, oh...by the way...I just bought a European car last week. It was built in Italy...and its red!

Do I get a prize?

he said italian and red...cud only be 1 thing..

To Ricky Bobby:

To say most Corvette owners can afford a 997TT is obviously not true. I'm sure some Corvette and alot of Z06 drivers might be able to afford one. But be honest with yourself, Ricky Bobby, most standard Corvette owners couldn't afford a 997TT anymore than most Boxster owners could afford a 997TT.
    I do agree that Porsche and Corvette owners are seperated by educational level more than income. The Ricky Bobby Builder vs the typical Doctor, Lawyer, etc.

I rarely hear about the Hollywood actor driving a corvette, unless vintage. The difference is NASCAR vs. F1,CART, and Indy.

Doc Hollywoood Vs. Ricky Bobby

here we go again with the class/car/brand/money war blah. while you're at it, throw in the m3 owners who are too "poor" buy a porsche.

Then nick's going to jump in with how porsche owners are too poort to buy ferraris, etc. etc.

Quote:
    crazi4speed said:
    Quote:
    Avantgarde said:
    Quote:
    RonnieC6Z said:

Do I get a prize?

he said italian and red...cud only be 1 thing..

Quote:
    dnp_now said:
    here we go again with the class/car/brand/money war blah. while you're at it, throw in the m3 owners who are too "poor" buy a porsche.

Then nick's going to jump in with how porsche owners are too poort to buy ferraris, etc. etc.

No, the M3 owners are educated too.

why oh why no gallardo in this test(!)

Quote:
    bostonmini said:
    why oh why no gallardo in this test(!)

Because the challengers always want to be tested against the consensus leader.

Happens in my business, too.

Quote:
    dnp_now said:

My us$.02:

If the Z06 driver beside me at the light is snooty you can do one of a two things:

Take the Buddhist path and realize we are all just fallible, vulnerable, living creatures, on a path that may or may not lead to enlightenment and in the midst of our own problems (suffering). Just be kind, respectful of his leading his own life the best way he can, and smile encouragingly.

OR:

Remind the snooty guy that you've got waaaaay more money than he has.

Your TT is by FAR the BEST daily driver/road car with the MOST HP and performance.

Ask to compare pictures of both your wives, because it's a safe bet that yours is muuuuuch better looking.

Most Porsche owners are too "poor" to own a F430 or 599GTB. I'm not sure why that makes anyone mad. Sure there are guys who drive F150 pickup trucks that could afford an Enzo, they are called outlyers not the mean or median.
    But any guy who can afford the more exspensive brand can obviously afford the cheaper car.
    That doesn't mean that car should be judged on their price. But most of the time not always, price is dictated by how nice the car is.

If Porsche could charge $280K for the Turbo they would. If Ferrari couldn't sell a car it would be priced a lot lower. If Corvette could sell its car for $100K it would.

Ricky Bobby doesn't care if his car has plastic or leather on the dash. It looks really cool to him, goes really fast, and he can afford it. If he could afford a Porsche he probably wouldn't purchase one because Porsche doesn't market to Ricky Bobby just as Corvette doesn't market to Doc Hollywood.
    But the confusing thing is that many of the same things that make a Porsche appealing to Doc Hollywood also make a Ferrari appealing. The Porsche guy may think that it is to over stated for his lifestyle though.
    The difference between the Porsche and Corvette is that the Corvette actually has more over stated looks than the Porsche even though it is cheaper.

The Porsche is the classiest of the three. The Ferrari is the flashiest of the three. I really think the Ferrari and Corvette owners have more in common even though they are at the opposite ends of the spectrum in regards to price. The Porsche guy wants everyone to know how successful he is and loves cars. The Corvett and Ferrari guys want to scream at everyone how successful they are and love cars. So if you love your car who cares what the other guy thinks. Be yourself and drive it like you stole it.

Quote:
    KeptMan said:
    Most Porsche owners are too "poor" to own a F430 or 599GTB. I'm not sure why that makes anyone mad. Sure there are guys who drive F150 pickup trucks that could afford an Enzo, they are called outlyers not the mean or median.
    But any guy who can afford the more exspensive brand can obviously afford the cheaper car.
    That doesn't mean that car should be judged on their price. But most of the time not always, price is dictated by how nice the car is.

If Porsche could charge $280K for the Turbo they would. If Ferrari couldn't sell a car it would be priced a lot lower. If Corvette could sell its car for $100K it would.

Ricky Bobby doesn't care if his car has plastic or leather on the dash. It looks really cool to him, goes really fast, and he can afford it. If he could afford a Porsche he probably wouldn't purchase one because Porsche doesn't market to Ricky Bobby just as Corvette doesn't market to Doc Hollywood.
    But the confusing thing is that many of the same things that make a Porsche appealing to Doc Hollywood also make a Ferrari appealing. The Porsche guy may think that it is to over stated for his lifestyle though.
    The difference between the Porsche and Corvette is that the Corvette actually has more over stated looks than the Porsche even though it is cheaper.

The Porsche is the classiest of the three. The Ferrari is the flashiest of the three. I really think the Ferrari and Corvette owners have more in common even though they are at the opposite ends of the spectrum in regards to price. The Porsche guy wants everyone to know how successful he is and loves cars. The Corvett and Ferrari guys want to scream at everyone how successful they are and love cars. So if you love your car who cares what the other guy thinks. Be yourself and drive it like you stole it.

Porsche charges almost as much for the Turbo in Europe as Ferrari, but they can keep their prices lower due to their currency hedging, a luxury which Ferrari doesn't have. Check their prices in a few years. Too much of an American perspective here, with not nearly enough of a European one.

i'll tell you what after reading that entire thread @ that corvette forum & looking through all the thick headed, immature responses...it makes me proud to be a member @ rennteam :!

Quote:
    KeptMan said:

Thats a great reply

Quote:
    RonnieC6Z said:
    Quote:
    MMD said:

Most Corvette owners that I know, including myself, can afford a TT but would rather, for many reasons, own a Corvette, because most corvette owners that I know (and I know close to 100) just do not like Porsches. Its that simple. And, oh...by the way...I just bought a European car last week. It was built in Italy...and its red!

I'm sorry I goofed. What I was trying to say was more like this:

if the TT and Z06 WERE THE SAME PRICE very few guys would buy the Corvette (which seems like BS now, from what you explained).

IOW, the pricetag of the TT is what makes people turn to Corvette.

I'm NOT being an a**hole arguing Corvette guys are poorer. Sorry... .

You guys are too obsessed with sterotypes.

I know of one TV personality with a Phd who owns a new Z06
    and a very bankable film director who also owns one.

You might recognize their names....

Dr.Phil and Steven Speilberg.

I suggest you contact one of the assistant producers
    on the DR. Phil show and ask to appear to discuss help
    for your Corvette - Porsche social issues.

Quote:
    JimFlat6 said:
    You guys are too obsessed with sterotypes.

I know of one TV personality with a Phd who owns a new Z06
    and a very bankable film director who also owns one.

You might recognize their names....

Dr.Phil and Steven Speilberg.

Dr. Phil is a girly man, a feminist sellout. Not really the type of guy I would advertise as owning a phallus on four wheels. Now, if it was OUR Dr. Phil that owned the Z06...

Crash -

You might be amazed at what our own Dr. Phil might be spending the next two weeks driving while in California.

I wont spill the beans ... yet!

Quote:
    JimFlat6 said:
    Crash -

You might be amazed at what our own Dr. Phil might be spending the next two weeks driving while in California.

It better not be a 997TT!
    I'm sure it will be a Tiptronic !

Quote:
    Crash said:
    Quote:
    JimFlat6 said:
    Crash -

Wrong on both!

Quote:
    JimFlat6 said:
    Quote:
    Crash said:
    Quote:
    JimFlat6 said:
    Crash -

Wrong on both!

Damn, I can't read. Our OWN Dr. Phil. The Corvette, of course.

Quote:
    JimFlat6 said:
    Crash -

Jim, please take care that Dr. Phil does not turn into a traffic light racer during his stay in CA - otherwise he won't be able to appreciate his new 987 S after returning to Europe

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    777408 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    441767 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    262803 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    260999 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    85270 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5592 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

880677 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    816046 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM