Crown

Board: Porsche - Cayenne Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Cayenne in Big Bend II

I just got back from another trip to Big Bend National Park last night (Big Bend web page). Had a great time again and tried some new trails. The photo below is on the western portion of the River Road looking back toward the Chisos Mountains.

Re: Cayenne in Big Bend II

Great pic, GM.

Boy, you Texans even like your scenery BIG

Great picture GM,

This is exactly where the Cayenne is suppose to be .... on a trail ... not parked in front of fancy hotels, restaurants or night clubs in NYC, London, Paris, LA, Miami, ....

Actually, last time I was in Miami, I was astonihed to see so many Cayennes .... it seems drug dealers are going ballistic about it .... these cars will never ever see the dirt ....

A new road I tried was the Old Ore Road. I had camped in the back of a pickup once at the beginning of this trail but had never explored it further than a few hundred yards from the pavement. I think I would recommend it highly for anyone going off-road in Big Bend. I started near Rio Grande Village and drove to the Ernst Tenajo trailhead. There was one interesting hillclimb along the way. Not really a challange for the Cayenne but it was good fun. The photo below is of me on that hill.

Your country is just amazing, Texas alone is 2.5x the size of France !!!!

OK I know everything is bigger in Texas ... these mountains look gorgeous ...

honestly, this picture is just.....I have no words!
    amazing!

http://www.rennteam.com/upload/24845-DSCN0614sml.jpg

Thanks Eric and Mike!

Back to Ernst Tenajo, this is a short nature hike from the road, not over a mile, and well worth the walk. It is a spectacular narrow canyon with facinating geological features. Having a vehicle capable of getting to places like this is half the fun of off-roading. I'll post one photo to give you some idea of the place. The two people in the photo were apparently geologists who had driven there in a FourRunner and camped at the trailhead.

One more interesting comment about Ernst Tenajo and the photo above: a park ranger told us this is a watering hole for the mountain lions in the area but during drought the water in this hole drops down so far the lions sometimes fall in and can't get out. Rangers do come by and help them out. That's an event I would like to see (from a distance).

I also went down Pine Canyon Road again. It is very scenic and the ranger told us the hike was only a couple of miles to the Pine Canyon but there was a good bit of climping at the end. I didn't take that hike this time but I think I will next time. The entire road to the trailhead is very scenic and highly recommended. This photo was taken near the trailhead.

Nice picture GM , and it is great to see someone really using their Cayenne, instead of just parking it in front of a trendy coffeeshop.

I visited Big Bend several years ago, and it is truly spectacular! More pictures please...

T

I came to the fork in the road where I could take the more sedate River Road or Black Gap Road. I couldn't resist, I had to tke Black Gap. It is probably the most rugged road in the park but also the most fun. If you try this road, always check with park headquarters for current conditions on the road. I always do. It was really in very good shape compared to previous times I have been on it. It's always much worse aftrer a heavy rain.

We did meet one other vehicle on this road, a Jeep Wrangler from Arkansas. This was his first time on the road. He really seemed to be enjoying the road. I gave him a tip about Old Ore Road and also told him he had some fun off-roading ahead of him on Black Gap Road. He smiled and told me I had some fun road ahead of me too. He was right, of course, but I knew I had already been over the worst, or best , of Black Gap Road.

There is a small cemetery shortly after the start of Black Gap Road. There was once the small community of Glenn Springs near here that extracted wax from the candelilla plant. The community was raided so often by bandits that it finally went away. I'm not sure if those in the graves are victims of the raids or victims of the harsh conditions here. Either way it's reason for pause.

One more non car photo (sorry). I have driven by the Mariscal mine several times but this time I stopped and took the hike to explore the mine. It is located near the southeren junction of River Road and Black Gap Road. This was once the source of about 25% of the US mercury production. The ore was heated in the furnace, shown in this photo, to vaporize the mercury which was then cooled back to a liquid in a multistage condenser, mostly in the clay pipes you see here.

OK, back to cars and scenery, this is a photo from Sotol Point looking back at the Chisos Mountains. The road to this location is paved so you can take your 911 here without a problem.

Great pics GM

Thanks Har! BTW, I hope you enjoyed your stay in Florida. Maybe you could consider Texas next time. We could make a run out to Big Bend.

Here's a photo from the Chisos Basin where the lodge is where I stayed. It's in the middle of the Chisos Mountains at about 5k ft. elevation.

Here's another larger photo photo of that same mountain. It's pretty dramatic in the early morning. Motorcyclists love this place.

Last photo. This is another one from up in the Basin.

Quote:
    Thanks Har! BTW, I hope you enjoyed your stay in Florida. Maybe you could consider Texas next time. We could make a run out to Big Bend.

After seeing your pics its really somethink to thinks about.

Superb pics

Thanks Gary

ohh man those are cool pictures!! how did you take the first picture?

do you get chiprocks on your painted lower body?

Gary, your the man, what great pictures !!!

Gary,

Great pictures. From the looks of it, you found some great places for a drive. Maybe we can get together again soon and get some more off-road pictures with multiple Cayennes. By the way, how far of a drive is it to get to Big Bend from Austin?

Karl

Quote:
    DEETZ said:
    ohh man those are cool pictures!! how did you take the first picture?

do you get chiprocks on your painted lower body?

The first photo was posed and was taken by my friend Jack who went with me. I had an idea I wanted a picture of the Cayenne racing across a dirt road with a big cloud of dust behind it. We shot three or four here because of the grand background and another three at another location. This one was the best although it didn't look like it at first. The car looked too small in the original but after I cropped the image it looked pretty good.

This was the only shot we spent much time on, maybe 10 minutes total. The rest were shot pretty much because we were stopped for some other reason. We do have some short video action shot of me going up a hill. It's not great but it does show how off-roading can be fun. I might post it if I can figure out how.

I have not seen any chipped spots on the lower moldings. The paint job was very good I think. So far it's been quite durable.

Thanks for the compliments Karl, Mike and everyone. Yes Karl, I would love to get together again with some other Cayenne owners. It takes about 8 hours to get from Austin to the Chisos Mountain Lodge.

ohh i see you did a really great job with all these photos! thanks for sharing, your car looks great with the dusts ahhahahaha

GM,
    I've been traveling, so I just got to see these. Great pictures of a great drive!!!

Dain

Thanks Dain!

BTW, I didn't have seem to have any luck in Marathon this trip. The Gage Hotel restaurant was closed for me, both coming and going and the little coffee shop was also closed until sometime in March because of a family illness . I ate dinner one evening at the Starlight Theatre in Terlingua which was OK. Your expectations drop a bit when your out in the middle of nowhere.

Hey, I've eaten at the Starlight. Meets my expectations. Too bad about the Gage, though, that's best meal in a 100 mile radius.

Loved looking at your pics, thinking about a trip of my own in a few weeks.

Dain

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    762028 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    435149 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    260399 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    257471 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    80909 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5318 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

872017 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    807374 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM