Crown

Board: Porsche - Boxster Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Things I'd change in Boxster design...

The air vents on the 997 seem much better. The round design of the 987 vents mean they have to point upwards a little to fit on the dash, and I guess (from my observations) that the speed of airflow is reduced due to the large size of opening. I find that keeping the cabin warm with the roof down difficult. The foot vents mean you get really hot feet, and the dash vents won't direct far enough down onto the body and thighs, the warm air tending to get sucked out of the cockpit too easily and at slow speeds you get a face full of hot air but a cold midrift.

Does anyone else find this, or is it just me?

Also the 'A' pillar can be a huge blind spot when approaching roundabouts. But I guess it's thick for a reason!

Re: Things I'd change in Boxster design...

Quote:
    wtsnet said:
    I find that keeping the cabin warm with the roof down difficult. The foot vents mean you get really hot feet, and the dash vents won't direct far enough down onto the body and thighs, the warm air tending to get sucked out of the cockpit too easily and at slow speeds you get a face full of hot air but a cold midrift.

Does anyone else find this, or is it just me?

Also the 'A' pillar can be a huge blind spot when approaching roundabouts. But I guess it's thick for a reason!

Yesterday I tried the other way round (cooling the cabin while driving with the top down) - we had 33*C, so the natural ventilation only worked at Autobahn speed. Hence I engaged the aircon (set at 21*C) and it worked very well (of course only with the side windows up).
    During my pick up tour I had no problem to produce a cosy warm cabin climate (also with the top down + side windows up + windstop installed) inspite of cold outside temps at 4*C, brrrr.

Of course it may highly depend on your seating position.
    For example when my wife uses the passenger seat she always pushs back the seat as far as possible - with this seating position she has been complaining about wind/climate when I was driving > 200 km/h with the top down. This weekend she drove on her own at higher speed with the top down and felt completely comfortable - just because she has to push the driver's seat a bit forward in order to reach the pedals

Another observation: after I parked the car for some hours with the top down under the burning sun the leather (cocoa) felt warm of course but way better compared to my previous cab (which had been equipped with black leather - big risk to get your private parts roasted ).

As for the A pillar: yes, the blind spot sometimes is somewhat disturbing, but that's true for all modern cabs. As the Boxster's A pillar is relative "steep" (not so much bending towards the cabin) it's still way better compared to all the fashionable CC's (coupé convertibles) with their metal folding roofs. In fact the Boxster's windshield design sometimes reminds me of the old VW Beetle

I find climate control to be excellent either when warming the cabin or cooling. When cold out, the heating function performs admirably (ECO setting, 78/80 F, foot vents activated) but of course it all feels better when used in conjunction with the heated seats and a windblocker with the windows up. In retrospect, that Mercedes AirScarf system seems like something I'd appreciate on my 987S though Porsche would probably never put it on since it does, at first thought, seem a little gimmicky, and it would probably add extra weight.

I haven't tried to cool the cabin in the sun since I figure it would be a waste (especially on the 90 degree days we are getting here in NY this upcoming week) but I'll play around with it.

Hey if Volvo makes a roadster, at least they'll have clear A-pillars if you remember their Saftey Concept car from a few years back.

By the way, in case anyone was thinking it, this thread was more as a prompt for discussion rather than 'my Boxster sucks'. (I was bored at lunch).

Maybe my ventilation system is not quite 100% then... there is always that. I just can never quite get it right, hot or cold. Today I was feeling that the air con wasn't getting cold enough (top down). It's about 90F/32C here. I do only have standard air con rather than full climate control.

The A-Pillar is just an observation rather than a design flaw, and yes PJ, at least you have less chance of bashing your head on it than in a CC clone.

There was another observtion I meant to raise for discussion, but I forget what it was. When I remember, I'll post.

PS (with respect to PJ's comment), my Sand interior was out in the full sun all day, roof up. Hot, but not thigh-scorching by any means. One of the reasons I specced it... Sometimes Black has it's drawbacks!

biggest flaw - no spare wheel !

Quote:
    percymon said:
    biggest flaw - no spare wheel !

But where would you put it and if you had a flat where would you put say a full size 19" wheel? On the passenger seat and leave SWMBO at the road side?

Just had a cracking 750miles round trip to the outlaws the last few days. Perfect weather for the Box, 30 odd degrees without a cloud in the sky, and twisty back roads all through Oxfordshire on the way north instead of the Motorway.

A few observations then, as this has been my first chance for any really spirited driving sans roof since I have bought the car.

1)Burnt forearms, but then, thats hardly the cars fault.

2)Top up and down on the move is the SINGLE GREATEST improvement over the 986

3)The flat 6 sounds much more evil at the red line with the roof up; when down it sounds much more smooth.

4)not much can keep up with a Boxster on a twisty road

5)Why do BMW drivers feel threatened by a Boxster?

6)the Greatest Indulgence in the world, and my contribution to improving the Environment is driving witht the roof down and the Auto Climate set to 'Lo'. Work well, but totally indulgent. Really needed though today with Temps pushing 33 and semi fast B roads.

7)Climate control turns down the fan for about 20 seconds when you clean the windshield, to prevent fume ingestion. Genius, and it works, TRY IT.

8)Black leather burns like hell when left in a parked car in 30 heat

9)So does black paint

10)No matter what you do with the roof down, on a day like this, Black leather sports seats make your back sweat. (mmm, nice)

11)The sport seats get more comfortable every day

12)CLimate control does compensate well for the sun light hitting the interior of the car. Its definitely 'Set and Forget'.

13)BOSE is too Bassy with the roof down at 'Roof Up' settings

14)The Porsche is devastating in the upper rev ranges at fast motorway speeds, against most traffic. (80 plus)

15)125mph with the roof down is not unbearable

16)Is this the best all rond car in the world???

17)This car has finally won the girlfriend round to roof down motoring.

18)Night time roof down is a whole new experience

ANy changes? Well, apart from the usual things we all want more of, power, economy, exclusivity etc, I would change the AUTO climate software to blow through all the vents more often (windscreen, face vents and feet). Small thing really, but when a car is this good, what else can you pick at.

Can't wait till the 'S finally gets 300 BHP plus, then I might change.
    Cheers folks, 7600 miles in and getting better everyday. But going in on Thurs for the Oil valve rattle and creaky steering to be fixed.

JZ

1. The windstop rattles at 155 mph - Porsche please fix

2. The car attracts too much attention when the top is down

3. Induction sounds AMAZING. Exhaust on the other hand, not as good (way too quiet...I mean WAY too quiet)

4. 280hp isn't enough!!

Quote:
    ajcastaneda said:

There is no excuse for any rattles with roof down at 155 mph (I'm content with not being sucked out of the car at that pace)

Three words: radio, radio, and...radio. Give me FM reception, factory XM and an Ipod hookup and the car would be flawless.

I too use the A/C sometimes with the top down, particularly if in traffic or sitting at a light. Cools you off just enough to keep the top down in extreme temps like we're having in Boston these days. 100 degrees indicated at 75 on the highway...

Quote:
    ajcastaneda said:

I think they know. Last time I was at OPC they did a 'windstop rattle' fix, so I guess it's on the official fix list now. Mine didn't rattle anyhow.

Quote:
    JZ said:11)The sport seats get more comfortable every day

I'd agree with that. The leather breaks in nicely after a bit.

Quote:
    wtsnet said:
    Quote:
    ajcastaneda said:

I think they know. Last time I was at OPC they did a 'windstop rattle' fix, so I guess it's on the official fix list now. Mine didn't rattle anyhow.

Do you know exactly what they did ?

On my car the windstop never rattled until I removed and reinstalled it for the first time last weekend (after 7,000 km) - seems to be a normal windstop now

Still looking for the following..

- new key (foldable, with a separate lock/unlock button)
    - a confirmation beep (maybe optional) when I lock the car... the indicator flashing isn't enough
    - sports chrono throttle setting without the wart
    - center storage box lid opening the other way round
    - one-touch roof opening even when standing still (instead of requiring to press the button the whole time)
    - SatNav system with 7 digit post code search (UK)
    - nicer , less plasticky, grey interior color choice (thinking the light grey I had in my Audi TT)
    - a way to prevent the headlight washers from coming on automatically from time to time and mess up the whole front of the car
    - more tolerant oil check.. i.e. when I just start the car in my parking spot and turn the engine off and on again to see the oil status, why do I have to wait x minutes?
    - better air vents (agree that they don't really cover all desirable areas)
    - Bose sound system improvement when the roof is down (agree, it's too much bass then)
    - a personal slave to clean the Carrera S wheels
    - lumbar support in the standard sports seats
    - sports chrono and PASM memory, i.e. settings staying the way they are (on or off) when I turn the car off and on, until I change them
    - PCM: less fiddly buttons, a "zero volume" setting which gets memorized through engine switch offs/ons

Love my Boxey otherwise

Oh and I agree with the observation of the A pillar's view obstruction effect but luckily that's not an issue right now with the weather being that sunny.

Quote:
    Ente said:

How is Erpel doing ?

Quote:
    Ente said:
    - more tolerant oil check.. i.e. when I just start the car in my parking spot and turn the engine off and on again to see the oil status, why do I have to wait x minutes?

Whilst I agree that it is frustrating, unfortunatley that is life. It would be the same if you had a normal dipstick as the moment the engine is turned, the oil pump throws oil into the engine block, so you havee to wait the 20 odd mins to let the oil run back into the sump.

Agree with most of your points though.

JZ

Quote:
    Ente said:
    Still looking for the following..

you wanna try SDs then

Quote:
    BangoO said:(Re: Windstop rattle) Do you know exactly what they did ?

I think they just put a lot more felt pads on... I haven't checked though.

Quote:
    Ente said:- better air vents (agree that they don't really cover all desirable areas)

And I thought it was just me!

My Bose doesn't sound boomy at all - infact the reverse is true. Maybe THAT's not 100% right either! I had wondered...

I got a fix done recently for long-range operation of the remote locking - you had to get right up close to the car. After the fix, I can no-longer make the windows go up and down by holding the lock button. I guess you can't do that on newer cars, due to the 'key in pocket' thing.

Just re-design the Key, Porsche! Give us a proper flip-out one.

Quote:
    Porsche-Jeck said:
    Quote:
    Ente said:

How is Erpel doing ?

Trying to stay away from the wheels

Quote:
    JZ said:
    Whilst I agree that it is frustrating, unfortunatley that is life. JZ

Quote:
    percymon said:
    you wanna try SDs then

Only if I was born with your patience...

TSB Recall 572 - replacement of windstops - my OPC claimed they'd never sene a defective one, they obviously don;t test them at 150mph fortunately !

I'd like to change the key, it s messy, too bumpy / bulky. Opens the trunks whilst walking in the vicinity with the key in my jeanspocket.

I second Ente's view : "- a confirmation beep (maybe optional) when I lock the car... the indicator flashing isn't enough"

Thirdly, a touchscreen for my GPS (- Garmin like)

Apart from that - whoaa what a fun car

JZ:

I love driving top down on warm days. But there's nothing like driving top down on a warm summer night. The warm wind without being beat by the sun is magical.

Quote:
    BangoO said:
    Quote:
    wtsnet said:
    Quote:
    ajcastaneda said:

Do you know exactly what they did ?

They apparently replace the clear plastic piece. Mine is on "special order." The invoice identifies it as item W572 (but nothing in there about being good up to 155 ).

My OPC hasn't yet had to replace a windstop under the W572 TSB - thye apply four small pieces of foam tape around the perimeter of the windstop and refit it. Mine rattles now and didn't before.

Replacement is only if parts of the windstop have degraded or cracked

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    689325 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    409088 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255697 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    234946 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65500 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4644 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

857898 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    773904 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM